OTChi Kocchi Act I [BxG]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Clayton Barnett
Regular
Projects: OKaverse VNs
Organization: 3-AR Studios LLC

OTChi Kocchi Act I [BxG]

#1 Post by Clayton Barnett »

3-AR Studios is pleased to announce the release of Act I of our visual novel. We are also slightly amazed that we two actually made our target date of January 4th. It's been a busy five months!

You may find a precis of the plot and the characters at those links.

The downloads are here: http://otchi-kocchi.com/

OK A1 has over 21,000 words, almost 1700 screens, 30 scenes, and 12 menus.
It is built on Ren'Py 6.14.1.366.
Last edited by Clayton Barnett on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: OTChi Kocchi Act I [BxG]

#2 Post by DaFool »

Oh cool, you're the one who convinced a co-worker to draw, amirite?
Unrelated Technical Stuff: As you can see, the downloads are from a public link in my DropBox account. These past few months have been spent learning RenPy, not how to make websites and FTP. While I do have a domain for OTChi Kocchi registered through GoDaddy, I don't know how to develop it. From a professional standpoint, I'd much rather have everyone going to my website and d/l the VN directly from there. If any of y'all can provide me with assistance or relieve me of my ignorance, please PM me. Thanks!
Couldn't you just register the domain and have it point to your blog, then rearrange the blog to be more website-ish?

MiniNormal

#3 Post by MiniNormal »

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game\script.rpy", line 3800, in script
IndexError: list index out of range

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\execution.py", line 266, in run
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\ast.py", line 401, in execute
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\exports.py", line 750, in say
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\character.py", line 770, in __call__
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\character.py", line 664, in do_display
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\character.py", line 471, in display_say
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\ui.py", line 237, in interact
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\display\core.py", line 1813, in interact
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\display\core.py", line 2336, in interact_core
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\display\layout.py", line 717, in event
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\display\layout.py", line 717, in event
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\display\motion.py", line 733, in event
File "C:\Users\Briana\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.570\OTChi Kocchi Act I-1.0-win\renpy\display\motion.py", line 725, in event
IndexError: list index out of range

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.14.1.366
OTCHI Kocchi Act I - A Ren'Py Game 0.0

Traceback :l this only happened the 2nd time i played this game though.. first time was smooth

whatle02
Regular
Projects: OTChi Kocchi
Organization: 3-AR Studios

#4 Post by whatle02 »

See response from coder.
Last edited by whatle02 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whatle02
Regular

#5 Post by whatle02 »

Thanks for the speedy feedback
Last edited by whatle02 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#6 Post by Anna »

I've only tried out the first few minutes so far (will continue later), but I was wondering about something; did you resize some of the sprites or something? Because the more zoomed-in ones looks fine, but the others look like they have been vertically stretched a tiny bit (their heads and such are longer compared to the other artwork).

The zoomed-in sprites have a softer look too, I really adore those.

Clayton Barnett
Regular

#7 Post by Clayton Barnett »

I'll let Will field the art question.

That "skip mode" error was from a couple of weeks back, here. I'd actually forgotten about it, and it seems perhaps PyTom hasn't contrived a work-around.

So, I've commented out the two offending lines, and rebuilt them. If you'd care to, you may re-download the fixed version. Thank you for catching that so quickly! And I'm very sorry I let it past me.

MiniNormal

#8 Post by MiniNormal »

.-. i might need a walkthrough for this game.. i'm trying to get a good ending with aris but i always reach the bad end D:

Clayton Barnett
Regular

#9 Post by Clayton Barnett »

Once I'd received permission from my colleague to make Secondary World characters, it fell to Aris and Aoi to be my "problem children."

They're not easy to get, because, in the full version, they're the most technically difficult to code.
Remember: this is a development forum.

You can salvage Aoi over days one and two. You must find the correct scene and do the right thing with Aris on Day One, then follow up.

Even my artist commented on the difficulty. Sure. I could have dumbed it down, but I wont insult any of you like that.

Good luck, and thank you for playing!

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#10 Post by Samu-kun »

I somehow ended up with Aoi. I don't exactly know how, but I guess I was just kind of railroaded into it.

Alright, it was decent. The plot didn't really develop much in this chapter, but it does what it needs to.
The character sprites were all inconsistent though. The male boss is scaled differently from the rest of the characters and the Nurse is drawn in an entirely different art style. I found the inconsistencies to be somewhat distracting. The art looked kind of weird, like the characters were stretched out. Also, the facial expressions don't quite fit on the skulls... I'd recommend looking at faces more, just for starters.

I didn't find the girls to be that appealing. Aris was kinda weird and I'm not going to bite the cool woman stereotype unless she's really just badass. Older woman are a pass, so I'm not biting Atti. I guess Rimu gets bonus points because she's a childhood friend, but she seems to be too fond of the Naru punch, so I better keep my distance. Aoi has twin tails bonus points, but she's a total flirt and I bet she hits on every guy she meets.
I also really didn't like the way the backgrounds were filtered. It looked like the world was made of melting paraffin wax. Oh unintentional horror.

The music was pretty bad, but it served its purpose... And I guess the songs do reflect the characters' motifs pretty well.

I may play the second chapter just for the sake of it. It was kind of average... Kind of like a 12 episode anime that you know isn't going to go anywhere, but you watch it anyways.

whatle02
Regular

#11 Post by whatle02 »

We've some really good feedback about the game. For our first outing anyway. As with any art project, there is some negative feedback as well and we will certainly take those into consideration as we continue on our path.

IF you haven't played it yet, feel free to give it a go http://otchi-kocchi.com/

P2_COLORED.png

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by SusanTheCat »

whatle02 wrote:We've some really good feedback about the game. For our first outing anyway. As with any art project, there is some negative feedback as well and we will certainly take those into consideration as we continue on our path.
Congratulations!

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by gekiganwing »

Congratulations on getting this far, Clayton Barnett and whatle02.

Obviously, the next challenges are considering what feedback is genuine and useful, and then writing the rest of the story. It's easy to get stalled after a demo / first chapter. Think about how you'll manage your time and resources.

Also, hopefully you didn't get trolled or insulted at Ohayocon. Some fans are polite at conventions, while others act like they're on an imageboard. And some fans are very specific about the media, formats, and styles they like.

JimG
Regular

#14 Post by JimG »

Liked this, hopefully you will be able to finish it. I have only followed one route so far so I need to play other routes before I comment on specifics. To my way of thinking it has a real "Twilight Zone" feel to it. I could imagine Rod Serling saying, "This young man had no ambition or confidence, he even lost his girlfriend through stupidity, and then he woke up in "the Twilight Zone"".

Best Regards
Jim

Clayton Barnett
Regular

#15 Post by Clayton Barnett »

gekiganwing wrote:Congratulations on getting this far, Clayton Barnett and whatle02.

Obviously, the next challenges are considering what feedback is genuine and useful, and then writing the rest of the story. It's easy to get stalled after a demo / first chapter. Think about how you'll manage your time and resources.
I agree. I built in a ten day pause after Ohayocon to 'clear my mental palette' as it were. Then, started making notes. I've decided to do my two mundanes first (Atti & Rimu). I've the path notes for Act II of Atti and one leg of Act II of Rimu. Doing this in tandem allows me to jump to another character when I hit a wall.

I see flashes of Aoi's path, good and bad, but that's a big step.

Aris... good Lord. I wish I could film it as an anime, honestly. Constant fighting and violence. Will's gonna kill me.
gekiganwing wrote:Also, hopefully you didn't get trolled or insulted at Ohayocon. Some fans are polite at conventions, while others act like they're on an imageboard. And some fans are very specific about the media, formats, and styles they like.
Things went very well, thank you. Trolling and/or hijacking were our two greatest fears, but it didn't happen. Between the PowerPoint slides and the banter between Will and I, we kept things moving. The questions on writing were easy; the coding questions... I answered as best I could, but I sure would've liked you there! My wife had a head count of 55; she and my girls passed out hardcopies of the presentation and discs with the builds on them.

We've applied for a sales table at Colossalcon in Sandusky, Ohio in June. Generating a revenue stream, no matter how small at this point, would be a good thing.
JimG wrote:Liked this, hopefully you will be able to finish it. I have only followed one route so far so I need to play other routes before I comment on specifics. To my way of thinking it has a real "Twilight Zone" feel to it. I could imagine Rod Serling saying, "This young man had no ambition or confidence, he even lost his girlfriend through stupidity, and then he woke up in "the Twilight Zone"".
Thank you, as well! If you don't mind me shamelessly ripping you off, I'd like to have Aris say something like that in her arc. Maybe:

Code: Select all

"Again she's anticipated my move!  I know she swears she's not reading my mind, but this is like a bad episode of the Twilight--"
ar "Zoning out again, Shirou!?  Failure here could cost you a limb!"
I look forwards to your further thoughts!