Doppelganger : Dawn of the Inverted Soul [Guide up]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
TheOneTwo
Regular

Re: Doppelganger : Dawn of the Inverted Soul [Guide up]

#181 Post by TheOneTwo »

Heyyo! :D Sorry for the late reviews and comments. I've been studying for exams and.. I'm not allowed to use the internet. XD Well.. Here's my comments:

Reverse Lies:
This is a very nice path for Yuri. But.. I'll admit, it is quite a turn off knowing he's a bit girly.. I mean.. Bad boys rock for me after all. XD And..
I think, Path 2 is the best path for Yuri. I'm a bit hurt that he.. ended up with Jun. XC But.. HEY! They're such a CUTE couple.
Opposites attract. :D
Path 3 is also nice. But it's just about friendship. :)

Death of a God
Well.. This.. Uhm. I was really happy for Lucia at first. I mean.. she ended up with Raph for Path 2 and 3. But..
The revelation is really.... breath-taking. I mean, knowing that he ended up getting devoured by his doppel. *sigh*
It's also really shocking that the little Zhuang is.. not a real friend. :roll:

The Crimson Tyrant
I hate this path. XD
I really hate Lee. He's a huge.. piece of sh*t. LOL
Well, I was happy with the Omnipresent and Avenged ending. 8)
But.. I guess, Lee is still an important chara here. :)

White Moon Reminiscene
This is about Cliffy, right? XD Well, It's a very good group of paths too! But.. I guess, I was also happy for him and Shuang.
The Killed by Eclipse is a really creepy path. LoL :mrgreen:

Broken Crescendo
Waaaaai!!! :lol: This is the cutest path for me! Especially the Path 3!
I was like.. "Finally! A happy ending!" Blake is a really cute little baby.
Oooooh! How I want to hug him. :mrgreen:

End of the Inverted Soul
WOW
WOW
WOW
WOW
WOWW.
THIS. IS. THE. BEST.
I mean, seriously, I'm really happy with the NeoXLucia thingy.. I mean, I'm really thrilled about the fact that he ended up with Mr.???.
I love it how she ended up with someone 5 yrs older. :D

There are some.. grammatical errors and some misspelled words. But, overall.. 100/100! :D
Bish please, I'm fab.

icebluehost
Regular
Projects: The Aces

#182 Post by icebluehost »

I finally finished the game! And as always you did not disappoint. I think this is the best game you've made so far. I've been waiting for you to finish one of your games and I'm glad that it was worth the wait! My only complaint is the grammar (and sometimes the background image comes out wrong) but it's something you can always improve on so it's not a big of a deal for me. Everything else was amazing. The characters. The art (you have definitely improved. I mean, compare your art now to your art during your first game. It's amazing!). The story. The music (GOD THE MUSIC!!). I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO THEM!!

And the endings!
I was slightly annoyed at how disconnected and unclear everything was, and I was worried that it was going to stay that way. But your true ending was incredible! Usually most 'true endings' only show the canon pairing but you not only did that, you also made everything clear! Your true ending was even better than the true endings of some commercial games out there.
Also
I love Neo <3 even when I was starting out the game he was already a very interesting character to me. Although upon learning about him more I have to admit to thinking that Niel might be a better 'bad cop' and that Neo suited the 'good cop' more. I'm just stating my opinion and I'm sure you know your characters (your 'babies' in fact) more than I do. It's just something I thought.
I just love everything about your game. Thank you for making such amazing games, and making them for free! I know it's not easy to do that and I really admire you for your hard work. You give amateur VN writers/artists/programmers/designers inspiration! You've given me motivation that I can still make a game of my own someday.

I can't wait for Fantasia to come out next! XD Good luck to you and thank you again!

Hanabira
Projects: A Tale of Two Siblings: Miyuki & Hikaru

#183 Post by Hanabira »

Hello! First of all, Miss Azure I'd really like to say THANKS FOR YOUR HARD WORK! Your work is AMAZING! Seriously! Second, I guess I was slower than everyone else, but I've just finished playing the whole game! xD I gotta say that I. WAS. SHOCKED.
All the characters who seemed nice to me turned out to be... Twisted!
Anyway, although I'm sure that there are others who had the same I thoughts I have about the game and all, and I guess it won't hurt if I share my thoughts, right?

~Yuri~
Wow, I gotta admit that although I wasn't very interested in Yuri, his character had a lot more depth than I thought!
I mean for him to enjoy domestic chores and feminine activities! Seriously it's not what I expected! I thought he'd be the usual delinquent guy who'd fall for this girl and etc. (Although I usually like delinquents, but it's a good change!) But for him to be like that, not to mention, to like Jun! Seriously! As I was playing through his path, I gotta admit, his real personality was cute~ And I think he and Jun are ment to be! (Although I dislike how their roles (genderwise) are still reversed till the very end! I kinda hoped I'd see a girly Jun, and a manlier Yuri.) Out of all his endings I liked the one where he ends up with Jun (It's the "Tommorrow" ending, if I'm not mistaken). I also like how Nia played a huge (?) part in his path! It was good to see that there's someone you can actually trust, lol xD
~Raphael~
I am very disappointed in Ralph! I believed that he was a good guy, and that he'd be a good match for Lucia, but he turns out to be.. Twisted? I dunno, I really liked Ralph but after seeing his true colors, he's kinda "meh" to me right now (lol kinda like Lucia's feelings). I was REALLY surprised to find out that he was the hacker all along! Not to mention that he never seemed like a guy who's interested technology or anything! I thought he was the sporty, "genki" kind of guy y'know. And to be honest I didn't really like how he thinks of Lucia ONLY as his "best friend's sister", I think that if he saw her as his junior it would be better than have the "best friend's sister" status! Zhuang was supposedly the good guy who comes to your rescue in this path, which kinda made Neo seem like the bad guy! Man, do I hate Zhuang! I also notice that Ralph and Lucia depended A LOT on their doppelgangers in this path, I guess that's one of the reasons why Ralph's path didn't have a really "Good" ending, huh? Any how, in my opinion, the "Free" ending was better than the other endings! At least Ralph and Lucia get to live and uh, be together as lost ones!
~Lee~
I'll have to admit that I didn't like Lee from the very beginning! He's not my cup of tea (and I'm glad about that!). He seemed like the goody-goody smarty pants kinda guy, but I guess he wasn't that oh-so-perfect gentleman after all, huh? I mean he is one of the most twisted characters in my opinion! I hated him after seeing his true colors! And in my opinion, he doesn't suit Lucia at all (sorry about that Lee fans, but it's my personal opinion anyway). I find his actions unforgivable! Although his father's actions are worse, and that resulted in Lee's twisted personality... I disliked Lee for being obsessed! His smirk was never a good sight for me to see, especially when he suspects Lucia, etc. Oh and this might sound random, but I think he looks better without his glasses! xD He also looks good with short hair.. Back to the point, I really think it was inhumane for him to throw Chunxiang in a cage, he's one of the major reasons for the evilness in the game! I'm also glad the he'll start fresh with Chunxiang by his side in the true path's ending. He looks way better with Chunxiang than with Lucia :D
~Clifford~
I liked Clifford for being the guy who seemingly had no major role, you know beeing easygoing, go-with-the-flow kinda guy.
But whoever said that you can't judge a book by it's cover, definitely said that for a reason! And boy was he right! I would have ever thought that Clifford has ANY connection with Shuang! Seriously! I couldn't have guessed! I really like how he was encouraging, and all. And I was VERY HAPPY to see him end up with Shuang! It's the best ending for his path! I also like how Neo showed up in this ending, when Lucia gets the charm from Shuang an all! Also, I liked how Clifford's wish had nothing to do with crimes, or murder or such! Although his doppel was a !@#$% I'm glad that he got his happy ending after all he's been through, he's a good guy after all! xD
~Blake~
Although I'm not a huge fan of Blake, but I really enjoyed his path!
Especially since it's not strongly related to the darkest side of the story. I also like Neo's role in this path! To be honest, I thought that Blake would be a bratty show-off, but he turned out to be much better of a guy than I thought he was! I liked how responsible he was. I wanted to know more about how the Rhodes' would react if they new about Blake being a Rhode, but it doesn't matter, right? His ending with Lucia was cute, and his path was nice for a change of taste, instead of the extremely dark paths! The way he uses a guitar to smash the head of Rico's doppel was kinda.. Hilarious! Lol that's kinda cruel! :P
~True Path~
Wooooooohooo!! I REALLY LOVED IT! <3 It ROCKS big time!! I was worried about who Lucia's real ending would be with! And I'm VERY GLAD that it's with NEOOOOO!! I really like Neo! And when he was referred to as "???" I was really hoping that he'd get a path! xD The true path in general, was amazing! I really like how every piece of the puzzle, everything, it starts getting cleared until you see the big picture! And man, that Zhuang is NASTY! I thought he was so cute, and all! But nooo! He's just a filthy, pervy, lunatic! He deserved dying! I'm so glad he died! I also like how each guy got paired up with his true love, it was so sweet! Although Blake hardly ever shows up in this path, but WHATEVER! It's a HAPPY ending! Zhuang dies, the doppels are gone, Lucia ends up with Neo, and the rest get paired up with their true loves (except Ralph maybe, he was really NASTY in this path, at least he'll turn a new leaf), everybody lives normally! The end! That's the best, most-fitting ending for the whole game! You've outdone yourself Miss Azure! I don't usually like true paths because they kinda ruin your hopes for the main character to be with whoever you want, but this one was THE BEST! Neo suits Lucia more than ANY of the other guys! I really like how Lucia matures through this path, and how she and Neo support each other when one of them feels down.. I also LOVE the teamwork between all the characters! It was really awesome! Although I feel sorry for Rico's death... But at least he gets to be with Anastasia!
~Others~
Other characters I really liked were:
Nia; she was one of the few good people in this game! I would've hated it if was tricking Lucia! Because I was at point where I hardly trusted anyone anymore.. Niel was a good guy too xD
Rico & Ann;
I really felt sorry for these two! They die in every path (except for when Rico gets to live with Yuzhu and her husband)! I thought the were bad people, being bullies and all! But after discovering the truth, I felt really sorry! Especially since Rico doesn't turn out to be a bad guy after all.. Well, I'm glad that they get to be together in the end.. And although this may sound cruel, I think that the CG of Rico dying in the true path was beautiful.. Or maybe it's because it seemed... Pure!
-]Oh I think someone should have mentioned this but there were a little bit of typos in some of the paths.. No big deal, but I thought I'd tell you incase no one else did (although I doubt it, lol)

Phew! That took some time to type! I hope I didn't forget anything! Sorry for the many spoilers, and for this looong post! I feel like I'm ranting (or wait, am I?) In any case, I just want to congratulate you for your success! All that hard work payed off Miss Azure! You really deserve this success! I'm really looking forward to see your upcoming projects in the future (especially the Reset series), I wish you good luck!

Sincerely,
Hanabira

Renvenar
Projects: Spiegelwerk/Mirrorbuilt, Ravenox, 7 Raben

#184 Post by Renvenar »

Now a review from me as well; I've spent happily quite some time with playing. ^^

As some random stuff at first, I totally love the soundtracks~ Especially "The Mistress and The Self-Proclaimed God" and "Morale Heartbeat". <3 Also, the art... sure, there were some anatomy-mistakes, but to think that you drew all of these pics by yourself.. holy cow. o.o
The character-development overall is great. ^^ It was getting onto me that actually everyone has such bad luck... the happy and nice picture I kind of had in the beginning of the people fell apart more and more. You built up the game bit by bit, with a strong plot that had quite a couple of twists. ;]
I'm glad you focused on the story so much and made it really interesting, instead of making it depend too much on getting it on with some of the boys (that would've ruined it, I guess..).

Off to the characters/paths now tho.. and I apologize in advance that I write too much. >3<''

Yuri & Jun:
-Gotta say here, the way you tell the story makes me feel with Yuri. Not only the problems coming with his condition, but also the person he could never forget from his past and that he's kind of trapped in this lie and fake self he had built up. Good thing he can break out of it and be happy with Jun~
It's though strange how natural it was between Lucia and Yuri that they had doppelgangers.. cause seriously, they have both killed someone (and Yuri even his brother..). Sure, the story couldn't go on with them just wailing about it, but I thought there should have been some more talk about it.
-It was a bit disappointing that Jun had not much important screentime, but that positively changed in the final path. Her character got more depth, I think, by confessing to Lucia and Yuri. It's cool that she's a strong person her friends can depend on, even tho she's in this situation with her dad and such. ^^
Anastasia & Rico:
-It surprised me that Anastasia opened the door and defenitely wasn't the really evil bully here. But right after seeing that she was actually a rather good person, Lucia's doppelganger gets her... >_< That makes the whole thing quite bitter. Her suicide came also shocking, as it was pretty unexpected to me.
-To Rico's personality I couldn't really say much until the last two paths actually, when I got to know more about his wish and his relationship with Anastasia. In fact, he is actually also a good guy... and a reliable one, to say the least. After all he protected the others and died for them. His scenes with Anastasia truly were sad. At least they got some sort of happiness in death. T_T
Zhuyuan:
What to say about him... he's a psycho. ^^; And even tho I like psychos usually, I detest him.
I just dislike on his character, how he seems so much like the nice guy and then again like someone with a really strong murderous and brutal intent. What I mean is, I can not really forgive him for behaving how he does -in a way he knows how to be "normal" and nice, but refuses to see his mistakes and keeps on doing horrible things... for various reasons.
His childhood is there no complete excuse, and I wonder if his father actually knows into what exactly he had turned his son into.. I don't think anyone deserves such treatment.
For some reason I really like the "Repayment"-ending btw.. it felt like a good one to me, even though Lucia was now in a wheelchair. ^^;
Raphael:
He has a couple of different sides, that's why I see him as one of the most interesting characters even though I dislike him quite a lot after the final path when he went greedy for power.
What's breaking the view of him as the idol and upbeat, friendly character, is that he's God Mode... and that even on his path, he was difficult to see through; cause basically... even though he was there the good guy (and his actions were kinda justified due to the threat of Zhuyuan and Neo), one could easily see that he has huge criminal energy. It surprised me on his path that Lucia just got along... I thought she would at least question it when Raph threathened to blow Neo's house up.
Raphael's 3rd ending was also quite disturbing, as it get's to the epilogue... made me wonder who's now the actual mastermind. Plus the scene where the image of the actually good and helping doppelgangers that was built up during that path, is destroyed again -like a little reminder of the true nature of doppelgangers.
It was cool though how they fought together. ^^
Clifford:
At first he kinda just annoyed me, cause he wouldn't really tell Lucia enough details, and he seemed to be a bit of a wimp.. until he was really supporting Lucia and the others and also fought with all his powers for Shuang. Their love was really sweet and it was sad for Shuang to lose her only light by Zhuang who she actually trusted. Clifford somehow became a character that I really liked. ^^
Blake:
He's seeming like a sidekick in the story, but his path was actually good to clear some of Neo's bad reputation he got in the other paths and also reveal some stuff about Rico~
Blake's a quite enjoyable character though, who cares and worries actually a lot about other people; it was pretty cute how he cared about Lucia. ^.^ And his misspelling of names is epic -I liked that this also had a reason, and wasn't just some random quirk. XD
Neo:
Somehow I didn't think of him to be obtainable at all or even as the true path character (thought it would be Raphael, even tho on his path a lot of things remained in the dark)... I dunno why actually. Guess it's cause he seemed like a mysterious and maybe also quite evil guy.
As a character in general, he's well developed cause he seems just so authentic, kinda. Maybe that impression also comes up cause Lucia spends much time with him and lots of random things come up...so you get a lot to know about him -pity it's not with all characters that way ...but I think that would take way too much time off the story~
Anyway; despite him being cool, I really didn't think I would like Neo that much.. but was in fangirl-mode when he hugged Lucia all of sudden on the lake~ ^w^;
Lucia:
Well, her character is mostly defined by the action the player choses, I'd guess.
I just can say that I feel sorry for Lucia, having to hear people say stuff like it might had been better for her parents if she had died instead of her sister. When her father is helping her with shooting, she luckily learns that her parents love her for being herself and that she doesn't need to be like her sister... that was so emotional~ She's a cool heroine. ^^
I'm btw wondering, what key it is that Lucia is wearing around her neck?
Ignatius:
It's too sad that there's no way to save him from getting blown up. >.< But that leads me to another thing: I'm not really familiar with what stuff students have to do with... but what the heck does Ignatius with a labor that even has a self-destruct mechanism?! O.o
Chunxiang, Shuang, Zhuang:
Actually, I liked these three as the good trio fighting against Zhuyuan and his family. But you twisted the plot a lot more~ It just was too good to be true, ne. ;_;

-I'm totally a fan of Chunxiang as cute but crazy axe-swinging lolita~ But at the point when she also revealed to be the evil one siding up Zhuang, I kinda thought "Screw what I said about her being cute, she's hella creepy". XD
Well, I got a weakness for insane characters... and after all; she indeed does have a reason to be a bit insane -thanks to a certain Zhuyuan~
Also, I liked the Yin And Yang-ending where these two killed eachother somehow better (even tho poor Neo got traumatized and it's a tad of a bad end). I think it's rather giving them peace when they're dead -or I just like such endings, who knows.
-It feel's a bit fishy to me, that Shuang didn't know anything about how doppelgangers work -after all she is part of the Lee-family ...I would think that she somehow got a bit to know about that. Also, she seems quite okay with people being killed by Raphael for example..
That doesn't fit the picture of the really purehearted girl.. but, everyone makes mistakes; no matter for what reasons. After all she's even ready to sacrifice herself to kill Zhuang and save the everyone. So, she was someone I wished a good ending together with her beloved the most, though. She surely deserves finally some happiness. ^^
-Zhuang and Chunxiang were actually quite a cute and pure couple, until it was revealed that they're both evil (he more than her). ^^' Guess I saw that pretty late coming that he really is evil, even though Raph's path made him already very suspicious (insane looking face etc. XD)... but my focus of the villain was more on Shuang then. But coming to Clifford's path, Zhuang obviously changes and it's clear that he defenitely isn't the nice guy (T.T). You made him even into an extreme opposite of being the sweet boy; cause he isn't just the sinister true doppelganger, he also has a really rotten character... sadistic and sick.
Too bad I like such characters as well. XD Guess I'm just weird like that, but I wondered what exactly he could have done to the others if he had won in the final ending~ ...yes, I am defenitely weird. Forgive me. x3
Zhuang is somehow really my favourite character here~ Loved the laughter you put in for him in the end btw... pity that the sounds in general were quite repitive tho...
Uff... @.@ I tried to keep it short. Sorry. XD (I cut a couple of things I wrote out and it still is so much...orz)
Some "technical" stuff now tho..
-All of the three videos wouldn't play in the game (what's sad cause I'd like to see them~), they would freeze after a few secods... I tried in fullscreen and window, but it didn't help. :/
-You said depending on the ending, the title screen will change. But why's the screen for Raphael's endings there when I've been on Blake's paths? ^^;
-After I got the ending Sister's Chains, the game didn't return to the title screen but jumped on the point where Raphael just ran away with his doppelganger after Shuang appeared on the scene when they used Clifford as bait...

Sooo.. to kinda make it short (comin' late with this, ne~), I really love this game. First I thought it might get boring at some point, but it didn't. ^^ You know how to do storytelling and I can't wait to see how you will improve to your next VN/story (cause I think your writing style did improve from the Fantasia series... then again, this VN was more focused on the storytelling than the others, I guess).
Thanks for making that game, I'd say~ ;D
Again, I'm so sorry for writing so much and taking space away. >.< Might apologize with some fanart of Zhuang maybe, haha~

adaira

#185 Post by adaira »

Azure, you are a god among mortals. Just finished this up. I could not stop reading after I started, it was that amazing. I can't come up with enough words of praise. True route guy was by far my favorite character. His and Lucia's interactions were wonderfully written. Also,
Lee+Chunxiang in the Denouement ending is an awesome "couple," and I was deeply disappointed I didn't get to see them passive-aggressively snipe at each other more because the game ended.
A special mention to the music in this one, which was absolutely fantastic. 'The Mistress and the Self-Proclaimed God' is soooo freaking epic.

edit;
I appear to be missing a CG on page 4, bottom right-middle, and 3 pieces of music- between Nightmare and Dark Truth, Yin-Yang Ghost and Dragon's Lake, and the very last one on the left side past And You Thought it Ends.. I have every single ending in the gallery, but I have absolutely no clue where I'd find the stuff I'm missing without painstakingly going through and picking every combination of choices I haven't already done, which I don't really want to do. Any help?

Fire Fist Ace

#186 Post by Fire Fist Ace »

Please...

Please release the Fantasia 3 too....

I beg you.....

Please Azure....

*cries on Azures shoulders*

BTW; I must say that you improved your drawing. You draw really well right now, keep going!

:D

vyushko
Regular
Projects: The Tale of Euphoria: To Save the Desolate Future

#187 Post by vyushko »

I got an ending from each guy, but when I try to get the true ending I do everything I need, but I don't get an extra question in the interrogation and then I don't have the option to trust the police. I can only choose to ask help from Clifford or Rico. ;(
“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.”

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#188 Post by distorsion »

Cannot open /Users/diss/Downloads/Doppelganger - Demo-1.0-all.part1.rar
No such file or directory
No files to extract
((This is what aways happens. Every time.))
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#189 Post by distorsion »

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While parsing /Applications/renpy-6.13.9/common/_layout/imagemap_preferences.rpym.
File "game\options.rpy", line 536, in script
File "game\options.rpy", line 541, in python
NameError: name 'build' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "/Applications/renpy-6.13.9/renpy/execution.py", line 265, in run
File "/Applications/renpy-6.13.9/renpy/ast.py", line 632, in execute
File "/Applications/renpy-6.13.9/renpy/python.py", line 977, in py_exec_bytecode
File "game\options.rpy", line 541, in <module>
NameError: name 'build' is not defined

Darwin-10.8.0-i386-32bit
Ren'Py 6.13.9.1702
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#190 Post by azureXtwilight »

distorsion wrote:
Cannot open /Users/diss/Downloads/Doppelganger - Demo-1.0-all.part1.rar
No such file or directory
No files to extract
((This is what aways happens. Every time.))
All right, tell me step-by-step on how you download until extracting. Did you put them all in the same folder? It can also be due to a download crash. What kind of OS are you using?
vyushko wrote:I got an ending from each guy, but when I try to get the true ending I do everything I need, but I don't get an extra question in the interrogation and then I don't have the option to trust the police. I can only choose to ask help from Clifford or Rico. ;(
Can I see your ending list?

vyushko
Regular

#191 Post by vyushko »

If by ending list you mean what endings I've already gotten:
1.All paths in Reverse Lies
2.-Death of a Self-Proclaimed God- Path 3:Free
3.-The Crimson Tyrant- Path 4:Omnipresent
4.-White Moon Reminiscene- Path 2: Dark sky overcast
5.-Broken Cresendo- Part 3: Bright new days
And thats about it...
“Life lives, life dies. Life laughs, life cries. Life gives up and life tries. But life looks different through everyone's eyes.”

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#192 Post by azureXtwilight »

You should probably get White Moon Reminiscence for clifford's path, and make sure you start the game from beginning when you replay.

Nyanko

#193 Post by Nyanko »

okay......
Is the story suppose to continue after you get final path ending 2? Because I did and it continue on with the story and it ends with path seven ending

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#194 Post by azureXtwilight »

It has to be a glitch, sorry about it... :_:

vyushko
Regular

#195 Post by vyushko »

You mean play through the rest of Clifford's paths?