Doppelganger : Dawn of the Inverted Soul [Guide up]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

Re: Doppelganger : Dawn of the Inverted Soul [Guide up]

#241 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

You've saved me from hours of boredom. Thank you so much. You're awesome! Really. :D

khnachi
Veteran
Location: Somewhere in those 7,107 islands in the Philippines.

#242 Post by khnachi »

Congrats on finishing this!!Gonna download it now! :)

Chibichann
Regular

#243 Post by Chibichann »

Game was a fab!!!!!!!!!! Got really addicted.

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#244 Post by sayuri »

It's not quite a full review since I've only completed Raphael and Yuri's paths but really liking it so far. Lots of stuff doesn't quite make sense but I'm excited to finish every path and see it all come together.
Favorite so far was Raphael's path where you decide to trust Zhuang. Lee's death gave me chills o_o. Was a bit disappointed that Yuri was in love with your best friend so even the path where you two or together feels a little bit wrong. But hey this isn't just a fluffy romance game so it's better that way.
Anyway, I'm having trouble getting on Blake's route. I'm following the walkthrough exactly but I never get the option to Approach Blake. I can only Approach Raphael and Approach Lee. Help please?

EchoLove
Regular

#245 Post by EchoLove »

So for Blake's ending we need to complete Raphael's ending? Shoot, I kind of wanted to do Blake's ending then get the true ending, Raphael creeps the hell out of me xD And Lee seems like a douche bag xD Kind of dissapointing we can't romance Yuri, he seems like he'd have been my favorite if we could but oh well, still good.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#246 Post by azureXtwilight »

sayuri wrote:It's not quite a full review since I've only completed Raphael and Yuri's paths but really liking it so far. Lots of stuff doesn't quite make sense but I'm excited to finish every path and see it all come together.
Favorite so far was Raphael's path where you decide to trust Zhuang. Lee's death gave me chills o_o. Was a bit disappointed that Yuri was in love with your best friend so even the path where you two or together feels a little bit wrong. But hey this isn't just a fluffy romance game so it's better that way.
Anyway, I'm having trouble getting on Blake's route. I'm following the walkthrough exactly but I never get the option to Approach Blake. I can only Approach Raphael and Approach Lee. Help please?
Blake's only available after Raphael and Lee.
EchoLove wrote:So for Blake's ending we need to complete Raphael's ending? Shoot, I kind of wanted to do Blake's ending then get the true ending, Raphael creeps the hell out of me xD And Lee seems like a douche bag xD Kind of dissapointing we can't romance Yuri, he seems like he'd have been my favorite if we could but oh well, still good.
I can only say that it's not a "fully romance" game :mrgreen: And yeah, Lee's a douche. But you can kill him :wink:

EchoLove
Regular

#247 Post by EchoLove »

Aw we have to play through both Lee and Raphael's routes to unlock Blake? Darn, does it matter which ending because if there's an ending where they die I won't mind playing them xD

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#248 Post by azureXtwilight »

Yeah, it doesn't really matter which ending you get actually.

Skarn
Regular

#249 Post by Skarn »

About, the "ending 4" feature, I am pretty sure I am not the only one to have it. Just look at the previous screenshot from ixWishing :
There is no placeholder between "The Sickening Sunset" and "Ying and Yang". My screen was like this too until I discovered the "My final present" end.

By digging through this topic, I discovered I had already reach 100% completion, and my missing CG was just a consequence of this bug. So, time to review.

Story

The basis of the story is quite a classic for a visual novel: normal girl of the XXIst century will discover harshly what the world is not only of logic and science, but also has magic, demons and true evils. And there will probably be a love story too.

In this particular case, I find the relationship part pretty good but the fantastic part was just okay. For example, I loved Yuri and Jun character development, but I do not think the whole doppelgänger thing adds anything to it. Same thing for the Zhuyuan family political conflicts: I think the same result could have been achieved with a "normal mafia" family. I also liked the whole love/hate relationship of the two psychos, but, again, magic does not give any extra value to it.

I do not know why exactly I feel this way. Perhaps the doppelgängers are not present enough (in some arcs, you can go through a long time of story between two of their appearances), or just not dangerous enough compared to the humans. But, yeah, personal taste perhaps, but I would have prefer more complicated relationship (Yuri, Clifford, Jun, Lee, the princess...) and less magic.

But, despite that, I did find the overall story good. I especially appreciate the construction, with its numerous paths. Most of the time, unlocking an ending will require more of you than just changing your last choice. Some can even be a little tricky to get.

Graphics

Readable, but could have been better. My eyes were not hurt, but I was not particularly entranced ever.

Animations

The openings and the ending are pretty cool. On the other hand, the fight scenes seemed a little off, with the alternative use of portraits of the fighters, each on its own bright colour, with no actual connection between them.

Conclusion

Doppelganger, Dawn of The Inverted Souls is a good visual novel. It is not perfect, but is really enjoyable and worth the time used to read it.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#250 Post by azureXtwilight »

Thank you for the objective review! Glad to know you think that it's a good game! :)

Noleve

#251 Post by Noleve »

Wow! I'm so glad it's finally there! Congrats!

I don't often come here, but I'm such a big BIG fan of all your games (and, I have to say it, especially the Fantasia ones), that I had to create an account to finally thank you for your work (it was about time!).

I can't wait to play this one :D

CherryJellybean

#252 Post by CherryJellybean »

:D It's Downloading! I'm so excited! After playing all you other games and waiting for this one I feel like a stalker ^^'. Err... really loyal fan. 15 moar minutes >.< EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#253 Post by leon »

Belayed congrats on the release. I'm not quite the target audience for otome games, but I wanted to check out all the impressive features listed in the OP - the number of CGs is amazing and it even has videos. It also said it's only half-otome, so...

While it's an otome (pft :p), it actually has a great story, with some nice plot twists and great character development. Most of the artwork is very good. The art quality is not consistent trough everything, but that's understandable with the huge amount of resources and this being a free game. The music is very suiting and it has good usage of sound effects. Very polished and professionally done.

I only played Yuri and Lee paths so far...
I somehow ended with The Crimson Tyrant path without actually trying to get there. I didn't like that creepy Lee from the start, so I dunno how... Omnipresent was my favorite ending here. >:)

Reverse Lies certainly has a few good plot twists. Unfortunately I played Lee's path before this one, so they were a bit predictable for me (I think that Lee's path gives up too much info about it). Oh and Jun is totally awesome! <3

A couple of small things, seemed kind of weird (or maybe I just didn't get them)...

In Reverse Lies/Bonds path Nia asks Lucia who the information about getting rid of doppelganger is for. At some other point (not sure if it was before or another ending) Nia said she can sense Lucia's doppelganger, which made her question somewhat weird...

I never heard of Klinefelter syndrome before, but I found it odd that people would think Yuri is a girl a week after his birth or so. I thought doctors just look at the genitals at birth to determine sex. Or does Klinefelter syndrome effects that in some way?

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#254 Post by azureXtwilight »

In Reverse Lies/Bonds path Nia asks Lucia who the information about getting rid of doppelganger is for. At some other point (not sure if it was before or another ending) Nia said she can sense Lucia's doppelganger, which made her question somewhat weird...

I never heard of Klinefelter syndrome before, but I found it odd that people would think Yuri is a girl a week after his birth or so. I thought doctors just look at the genitals at birth to determine sex. Or does Klinefelter syndrome effects that in some way?
For the first part, it was my mistake ^_^" Sorry about it~
Well, Yuri's the kind of syndrome which is actually quite extreme, in which he also have hermaphroditism in which his gender can't be determined right away because his genital is unclear. Sometimes small penis can also be mistaken for a big clitoris. Hope it helps :)

lutherin

#255 Post by lutherin »

This is so awesome. Pulled an all-nighter to finish this game - it's fantastic. I was hooked all the way, through every path.
When I first got the Feast of the Inverted Soul ending, I think my heart broke. xD I absolutely adore Neo as a character, too. <3