Doppelganger : Dawn of the Inverted Soul [Guide up]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
laylee96

Re: Doppelganger : Dawn of the Inverted Soul [Guide up]

#541 Post by laylee96 »

I'm a big fan of your other VNs so I really looked forward to playing this! Sadly I couldn't open this directly on to my Mac (second download link isn't working and Mac OS X doesn't support .exe files) but once I did manage to open it, I found out that I can't seem to click on anything using the mouse... Not sure if any other Mac users are experiencing this problem but just thought I'd let you know

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#542 Post by azureXtwilight »

laylee96 wrote:I'm a big fan of your other VNs so I really looked forward to playing this! Sadly I couldn't open this directly on to my Mac (second download link isn't working and Mac OS X doesn't support .exe files) but once I did manage to open it, I found out that I can't seem to click on anything using the mouse... Not sure if any other Mac users are experiencing this problem but just thought I'd let you know
Hey! This is a mirror for it!
http://mementomori.vnovel.com/downloads

CrimsonMoon
Regular
Completed: Unplanned AMOUR
Projects: Scented Dream

#543 Post by CrimsonMoon »

I gotta say that the voice sometimes throws me back, especially the shouting. But other than that, the pace and the story is good. :D Already finished with one route, now off to play the other routes.
Updated: 06/05/2015
I make logo, request here (STATUS: CLOSE)
Newbie to making VN.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#544 Post by azureXtwilight »

CrimsonMoon wrote:I gotta say that the voice sometimes throws me back, especially the shouting. But other than that, the pace and the story is good. :D Already finished with one route, now off to play the other routes.
Thanks! Let me know what you think of the whole piece ^^

Seiza
Regular
Projects: The Cruel Fate of War
Tumblr: Cj2ymail

#545 Post by Seiza »

and after several weeks of fangirl squealing, laughing, laughing, crying, and feeling, i finally finished the game and it's entire glory
MARSHALL'S PATH IS SO GOOD AND WELL WRITTEN THE FEELS AND PLOT TWISTS AND STUFF I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN HOW GREAT IT WAS
WHY ISN'T THIS TRANSLATED IN JAPANESE AND ON IT'S WAY ON HAVING AN ANIME ADAPTATION ARGH THIS WAS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER JAPANESE FAN TRANSLATED VN I HAVE EVER PLAYED.
Zhuang being Shuang's and the ultimate doppelganger, it was a twist that was so obvious yet unpredictable
Neo's Past, Lee and Chunxiang's Sad, tragic history, and The Clifford x Shuang ship and all that jazz
I was so happy that they all eventually got their good end at last. (and Neo x Lucia is <3 )
Anyways, all that aside, i really hope you continue making VNs like this. You have Extreme talent, heck, if you will go comercial i bet a lot would be willing to pay.
Wish you The best of luck in your future productions!

-
Sincerely,
Your new number 1 fan (who will follow you to the ends of the earth)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#546 Post by azureXtwilight »

Seiza wrote:and after several weeks of fangirl squealing, laughing, laughing, crying, and feeling, i finally finished the game and it's entire glory
MARSHALL'S PATH IS SO GOOD AND WELL WRITTEN THE FEELS AND PLOT TWISTS AND STUFF I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN HOW GREAT IT WAS
WHY ISN'T THIS TRANSLATED IN JAPANESE AND ON IT'S WAY ON HAVING AN ANIME ADAPTATION ARGH THIS WAS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER JAPANESE FAN TRANSLATED VN I HAVE EVER PLAYED.
Zhuang being Shuang's and the ultimate doppelganger, it was a twist that was so obvious yet unpredictable
Neo's Past, Lee and Chunxiang's Sad, tragic history, and The Clifford x Shuang ship and all that jazz
I was so happy that they all eventually got their good end at last. (and Neo x Lucia is <3 )
Anyways, all that aside, i really hope you continue making VNs like this. You have Extreme talent, heck, if you will go comercial i bet a lot would be willing to pay.
Wish you The best of luck in your future productions!

-
Sincerely,
Your new number 1 fan (who will follow you to the ends of the earth)
Aww, thank you so much! I'm really glad you enjoyed the game, it was my favorite out of everything too!

Qeedy

#547 Post by Qeedy »

i'm looking forward to play this one ;)

Size is big so gonna wait
let me tell you if something come on my mind

Dreamtigers

#548 Post by Dreamtigers »

This story was so riveting that I finished all 31 endings, reread the canon ending, then deleted and unzipped it again to see the version without the unlocked bits. It kept me up until sunrise. I almost wished for a doppelganger who could stay awake and keep reading for me. :)

You have some serious storytelling skills. It’s no easy feat to manage 21+ characters in a plot that combines action, suspense, humor, AND character and relationship arcs. You did a fantastic job of pacing the story and manipulating the reader’s expectations. This thing was twistier than sixty pretzels.

I especially liked how you concealed certain paths and scenes at the outset. They shaped our understanding of the true path and gave it emotional resonance.
Finally, finally we got to save those guys. Well, most of them.
The cast was well developed, multi-dimensional, and intriguing. I liked that the yandere characters were genuinely scary; there was nothing cute or funny about their behavior. They weren’t wholly repugnant, either. We understand what made them who they are, and there’s real pathos in
the Yin-Yang ending.
Now for more spoilery bits...
Raphael fascinated me in a “holy bananas, what is this guy going to do next?!?!” kind of way. He went from your standard high-school-prince-with-a-sad-backstory to a megalomaniac who uses his family as an excuse for going COMPLETELY BONKERS. You don’t end it there, though. The bittersweetness of his canon ending was unexpected and strangely moving.

It seems some readers wanted to romance Clifford and Yuri. As much as I liked them, I'm glad we didn't have the option. I’m not sure it would have felt true to those characters or the story as a whole.

I was left with a few minor questions that might be answered in Re:Set. I wasn’t sure what to make of Ignatius. He seems to be more than just a victim of Yuri’s doppelganger, given his conversations with Lucia and his mysterious research.

I imagine there’s a reason that Lucia wears a key around her neck, particularly since she's still wearing it in Re:Set 3. (Or maybe it's just a random accessory, like Bertha's "B" pendant.)

Also, Neo Marshall = awesome. I was screenshotting my favorite Neo moments until I realized I was screenshotting EVERY Neo moment. This is my new wallpaper:
screenshot0009.jpg
I’d eat cookies and play video games with him any time. :D
So thanks to azurextwilight and the Memento Mori team for an amazing experience! I’ve been enjoying Re:Set and the new webcomic, too. If you need betas or proofreaders, just let me know.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#549 Post by azureXtwilight »

Thank you so much for playing and enjoying the game! I have to be honest; this is the game I enjoyed the most in making. Every time I put a twist in it, I am wondering how you guys will react!

Regarding Lucia's necklace:
Bertha has a similar one written "B" on her neck, Lucia and her exchanged necklaces. To her, it's the only memento of her sister.

JJupiterJump
Regular

#550 Post by JJupiterJump »

I've gotten almost all the endings, except for the final path, and man this game had so much I can't even-
I think "this person is nice, and blah blah" but no, and then I think "good ending now, yay!" but no.
I feel like there's barely any "good endings" in the game from what I've seen, because all of them seem to end up being horrible in one way or another (but that's not a bad thing).
You did a great job with the twists! I didn't see them coming a lot of the time for sure. I liked how playing through all the endings for a specific path helped develop the story, and what the player knows rather than just random bad ends, which is what I see with a lot of VNs.

But really, the twists, it didn't play out the way I thought it would because of the twists, and probably made the game more memorable for me!

Congratulations on finishing this VN by the way! (I was a lurker when the WIP thread was first put up!)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#551 Post by azureXtwilight »

The true ending can be considered the "good one", but you nee to see through most of the bads first!

Mystica

#552 Post by Mystica »

The mirror isn't working. It says:

Not Found

The requested URL /files/Doppelganger.rar was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Jen

#553 Post by Jen »

Hello azureXtwilight,

I also get an error message when clicking on the link: http://berix.us/files/Doppelganger.rar

I really want to download this game for my Macintosh computer. I played it on my windows, but may be selling my windows computer soon. Doppelganger is one of my favorite visual novels! Keep up the awesome work!

nancie
Regular

#554 Post by nancie »

@ Mystica & Jen
That would be my fault, I was hosting that file. I was unaware that we had lost the link till now. I'll post a new one this afternoon. My sincerest apologies.

*Edit: file has been re-uploaded the old link should work now.

Jen

#555 Post by Jen »

Hi nancie,
That's fine. No worries : )
Thanks for the download link! I won't get the chance to play through the whole game again for a while, but for anyone who needs help, I did get the game to show up on my Mac. I'm not completely sure how I did it, but this is how I think it happpened:

I downloaded unrarx like suggested and installed it, then downloaded the game link. I put the game download in unrarx and extracted. At first I couldn't get the game file to open, so then I clicked on game download and selected "open with" and used something called "stuffit expander". (I'm not sure if stuffit expander comes automatically with Macs or was already on my used computer. But I think using the unrarx, then the stuffit expander worked. I'm not 100% sure if unrarx was needed since I had stuffit expander, but I'm keeping it in case.)

I hope these steps helped anyone with a mac. Like I said, I don't completely remember how I got the game to open on mac, but maybe this will help if anyone is confused. I usually am not very familiar with Macs or Windows. lol.