Yousei (Commercial, Murder Mystery, Supernatural)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Yousei (Commercial, Murder Mystery, Supernatural)

#1 Post by sake-bento »

Buy Now: Windows | Mac | Linux
Free Demo

Walkthrough

For the last few years Kangai has been a wanderer, but his return to his hometown has triggered a series of deaths linked to his past. With a bit of less than gentle prodding, he joins a group of psychic teenagers who solve mysteries under the watchful eye of the government. The group goes undercover at a local university to invesigate Kangai's history, but the sudden death of a professor sets them on a new course racing an old enemy for valuable information.

Yousei is the sequel to Jisei (currently on sale for 50% off), and Kansei (30% off if you bundle it with Jisei). While playing the first two games is not required, it is strongly recommended so that you can enjoy the full story.

Genre: Supernatural, mystery
Playtime: 8-12 hours (with voices on)
Endings: 4
Rating: 13+ for depictions of blood and discussion of abuse

Staff:
-Writing, programming: Ayu Sakata
-Character design, art: M. Beatriz Garcia
-Music Composition: Marc Conrad Tabula
-Opening theme: Aural Wave
-Environment Art: Lewis Lane
-Beta Testing: Sarah Galbraith, Jané Peens, Marcel Weyers, Elsa Whitney, Darien A. Lee

Cast:
-Detective Gurski: Chris Niosi
-Aki Mizutani: Apphia Yu
-Naoki Mizutani: Micah Solusod
-Li Mei: Cherami Leigh
-Chance Jackson: Kira Buckland
-Aaron Vanich: Edwyn Tiong
-David Sawicki: Clifford Chapin
-Nathan Holm: Chris Cason
-Shawn Tasse: Kevin M. Connolly
-Jupiter Celedon: Erica Mendez
-Girl: Mindy Owen
-Marissa Klein: Melissa D. Johnson
-Woman: Karen Kahler
-Additional Voices: Greg Nugent, James Goins
Attachments
screen03.jpg
screen03.jpg (74.5 KiB) Viewed 18938 times
screen01.jpg
screen01.jpg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 18938 times
screen05.jpg
screen05.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 18938 times
screen06.jpg
screen06.jpg (108.61 KiB) Viewed 18938 times

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

Re: Yousei (Commercial, Murder Mystery, Supernatural)

#2 Post by latte »

Congratulations on the release, the series looks better and better with every installment! Though I'd like to know, how much not having played the previous two would influence in enjoying this one? I'm permanently undecided about buying the games but the white-haired loli had me sold, haha... //sorry

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by sake-bento »

You can solve the murder without knowing anything prior, but you might be lost with the overarching story. And the white haired loli does have a fairly important place in the second game (Kansei), so if you're interested in her I would suggest getting it.

ixWishing
Veteran

#4 Post by ixWishing »

Ahhh. So Chance is back, eh?
I smell trouble. Oh wait, there's always trouble around with Kangai! :d
I played the previous 2 games before, and I swear that your Sei series are getting better & better! Lol, yes I'm calling it the Sei series because all three games end with 'sei' for now, lol. xD

I'll be sure to try the demo ASAP tomorrow morning~ c:
- Everlasting Dreams ;

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#5 Post by jack_norton »

Congrats on the release! I agree with others, each episodes seems to improve the game on art, interface, gameplay. Good luck with it :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

laertid

#6 Post by laertid »

The game I was waiting for. Yay!

Only got 2 endings so far, and each is... unique, I think. Loved the voice actors, especially Jupiter, Aaron and Naoki. Naoki's voice is so in-character, really. And the face emotions - it's cool to see people really reacting to your words, not standing-with-the-poker-face throughout all the story.

About the endings.
Twins ending: really, really sad. Well, no one dies, but it's the kind of ending that makes you cry. I understand why the game has a picture of Aki and Naoki together in the main options screen - "Yousei" is not about meeting new peoples, making new friends; it's about knowing the old ones better. And Naoki's perfect memory seems to be an example of "Blessed with Suck" (tvtropes). Poor Naoki. I wanna hug him.

True ending (rabbit ending? xD): whoa. Chance is so obviously evil, it was hard to follow an advice about "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer") and not to run away from her. Kangai, what are you doing, taking a coffee from her?! Well, Li Mei kinda saves the situation. And later Chance says that she wasn't going to kill Kangai... so, no poison in the capucchino? I don't believe you, Chance.

"My boyfriend lives ten minutes from here" is rather unexpected. No blood family mysteries? No spy secrets? Hehe.
(And is the Western State University really far from Edgewater? Like, three or five hours by bus, or maybe more? Did he need to transfer so much?)

Aki and Naoki fighting with the killer was great. The twins sometimes remind me of Liz and Patty from Soul Eater: carefree, funny, constantly joking, but they care deeply about each other, and if they need to fight - you quickly remember that they lived on the streets and survived there. A beautiful moment.

Rabbit is in our team now? Will we see it in the next game? %)
And I spotted a minor... bug, maybe?
In the Gallery, picture of Kangai with blood on his cheek (after discovering the dead body). There is only no-glasses picture, although I made 2 walkthrough with and without glasses, and I'm sure the "glasses-on" picture was there in the game and in the gallery after the game. But then I started a new playthrough without glasses, and the picture... vanished? :)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#7 Post by Blue Lemma »

Congratulations, sake and team :) Your games always look so polished!

I haven't played any of the series yet but am considering it since I'm awash in LSF 10th vibes ;) Is there much ren'ai, or is it pure mystery?

Is there a special bundle deal for buying all 3? (It sounds like just the first two?)
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by lepapillonrouge »

I haven't played yet, but Li-Mei's side glare to Chance is just so beautiful. /sarcasm
deviantART
---------------------

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#9 Post by Deji »

Guys, please feel free to point out all and any art problems/gripes/critiques/feedback in respect of character and CG art!
It's late to make any difference now, but I'll know what to focus on improving on for later games.
Thank you in advance! ^^
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

DeeKay
Veteran

#10 Post by DeeKay »

lepapillonrouge wrote:I haven't played yet, but Li-Mei's side glare to Chance is just so beautiful. /sarcasm
Li Mei is... Li Mei is.. !
*nosebleeds and falls to the ground*
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Cain0425
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Cain0425 »

is this one with the voice in it i pay for the one with out the voice in it and i like to get the one with the voices in it pls

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by sake-bento »

laertid wrote:
"My boyfriend lives ten minutes from here" is rather unexpected. No blood family mysteries? No spy secrets? Hehe.
(And is the Western State University really far from Edgewater? Like, three or five hours by bus, or maybe more? Did he need to transfer so much?)
Well, that many hours is still a long ways away, and frustrating if you're trying to be in a serious relationship. I know people who have moved shorter distances just to be closer to each other.
laertid wrote: And I spotted a minor... bug, maybe?
In the Gallery, picture of Kangai with blood on his cheek (after discovering the dead body). There is only no-glasses picture, although I made 2 walkthrough with and without glasses, and I'm sure the "glasses-on" picture was there in the game and in the gallery after the game. But then I started a new playthrough without glasses, and the picture... vanished? :)
Weird. I'll have a look. Thanks for letting me know.
Blue Lemma wrote:I haven't played any of the series yet but am considering it since I'm awash in LSF 10th vibes ;) Is there much ren'ai, or is it pure mystery?

Is there a special bundle deal for buying all 3? (It sounds like just the first two?)
It's almost all mystery. Some characters are in relationships, but they're not explored very deeply. Right now, the deal is just for the first two. Will have to play around with numbers before I figure out the rest.
Cain0425 wrote:is this one with the voice in it i pay for the one with out the voice in it and i like to get the one with the voices in it pls
I emailed you a new download link. Let me know if it doesn't work~

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#13 Post by jack_norton »

Deji wrote:Guys, please feel free to point out all and any art problems/gripes/critiques/feedback in respect of character and CG art!
Yes, I have a problem with your art. It's too good! :lol: Ok, sorry for the bad joke, but really you made a long way from the first Flower Shop sprites. I think you showed you can draw a big variety of sprites/situation, from cute stuff (still your best I think) from more "serious" stuff like murder/mystery images :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#14 Post by Taleweaver »

Well, seeing that this is the last entry in the series I haven't played yet, I'd say it's time I did, right? Just placed my order. And since I... well, didn't exactly pay for the first two parts so far, I ordered all three of them. You definitely deserve the money.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

#15 Post by Surufe »

I waited for so long ;D I'm already finish Jisei and Kansei long time ago and I love it. Love the Mystery - Love The Art Deji's fan - Anyway, I'll stop staring at the beautiful art and starting to buy it.
New Account - Rye
I'm no longer using this account.