What kind of Fiction should You write? 5.0! [Quiz game ]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

Re: What kind of Fiction should You write? 3.1! [Quiz game ]

#46 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Well that was fun.

Genre:
Gothic: 2,
Romance: 0,
Historical: 1,
Sci-fi: 0,
Literature: 0,
Ero: 0,
Fantasy: 1,
Horror: 2,
Suspense: 2,
Mystery: 3,
Comedy: 1,
Action: 1,
Childs lit: 1

Strengths vs Weakness:
Drama: 4,
Male Lead: Strong,
Plotting: Strong:
Character: 8,
Female lead: Acceptable,
Premise: Acceptable,
Description: 4,
Villian: Strong,
World Building: Acceptable

Well, seems I still need to work on description, as well as my female leads. The drama being low is a little surprising, since I've been told I've handled drama well before, as well as premise.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#47 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I took the test twice and got lit for both :Y

most recent score card:

Literature - 4
Horror - 3
Childrens Lit - 3
Suspense - 2
Fantasy - 2
Romance - 1
Action Adventure - 1

Drama - 5
Characterization - 6
Description - 3
Male Lead - Strong
Female Lead - Acceptable
Plotting - Acceptable
Premise - Weak
World Building - Acceptable
Villain: Strong

im surprised i got a higher score for horror, im not good with details, at least not when i write :U
but i do like that kind of thing when im reading so i guess it works out ouo

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#48 Post by Darkmoonfire »

I took the test and here's my results.

4: Children Lit.
3: Comedy
2: Literature
1: Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense, Action-Adventure, Historical
0: Gothic, Horror, Erotica, Romance, Science Fiction
~
Drama: 3
Characterization: 6
Description: 5
Male Lead: Strong
Female Lead: Strong
Villain: Acceptable
Plotting: Acceptable
Premise: Weak
World Building: Acceptable

When I first took the test with version 1.0, I only got one point in children's lit. and got higher scores in fantasy and mystery.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#49 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:Well that was fun.

Genre:
~~~~~~~~~
Gothic: 2,
Historical: 1,
Horror: 2,
Suspense: 2,
Mystery: 3,

Strengths vs Weakness:
~~~~~~~~~
Drama: 4,
Female lead: Acceptable,
Premise: Acceptable,
Description: 4,

Well, seems I still need to work on description, as well as my female leads. The drama being low is a little surprising, since I've been told I've handled drama well before, as well as premise.
Hmm... The way I calculated Drama, it's a combination of what you scored in Action, Love, and Violence -- all of those relying more or less on Emotional Impact: Drama.

You definitely want to work on Description. All of those genres listed above rely heavily on description to pull them off.

As for female leads, the main problem is that few genres actually have strong female leads, so there's no help for that.

I'm glad you liked the game!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pyonkotchi wrote:I took the test twice and got lit for both :Y
-- most recent score card:

Literature - 4
Horror - 3
Childrens Lit - 3

Drama - 5
Characterization - 6
Description - 3
Male Lead - Strong
Female Lead - Acceptable
Plotting - Acceptable
Premise - Weak
World Building - Acceptable
Villain: Strong
Just so you know, Literature is almost purely how willing to break the rules the writer is. (Literature rarely follows any rules.) However, the scores come from how well the writer does follow the rules, so the scores look low, when in fact I just forgot to rate Creativity, [face-palm] which you probably would have scored very high in.

Version 3.2 coming up! LOL!
Pyonkotchi wrote:im surprised i got a higher score for horror, im not good with details, at least not when i write :U but i do like that kind of thing when im reading so i guess it works out out
Horror isn't all that detail oriented -- not the way Mystery is. Horror is actually more Characterization and Drama oriented, though it does call for a little more than the average in descriptive detailing.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#50 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

I showed my friends your "evaluation" and they were shocked. Because....you were spot on! Seriously, you were. Even I was surprised when you pointed out I have trouble deciding what to write about sometimes.
Anyway, "retook" the quiz when I saw you added on the weak/strength part. (As in I chose the exact same answers....as much as I hate the choices in the characters since I always change them in every story I write. XD)

Drama-2 Male Lead-Strong Plotting-Strong Characterization-6 Female Lead-Acceptable Premise-Acceptable Description-6 Villain-Strong World Building-Acceptable

Just goes to show I have a long way to go to improve. And I shall no longer curse myself for attempting to make stuff believable. I shall embrace it instead. Now if only I could be more firm with myself when deciding.

Thanks for the fun quiz and how informative you have been!
ImageImageImageImage

ixWishing
Veteran

Re: What kind of Fiction should You write? [Quiz game]

#51 Post by ixWishing »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
ixWishing wrote:Lol, I got Children's literature ;p
Probably explains why I love watching Pixar & Disney films xD I was watching Up, Mulan 2, and Brave a week ago
This also means that you prefer stories focused on Character Growth.
-- I'm a Pixar/Disney/Studio Gihbli fan myself.
Thanks! Now I'm really tempted to start writing again ^^.I just like how characters would develop over time, in stories.

On the other hand, on my first try, I got a tie between Children's lit & literature.
But I ended up getting Children's literature since I chose that I liked Disney films, LOL.
- Everlasting Dreams ;

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#52 Post by KittyKatStar »

Depending on how I feel I either get comedy or historical or even children's books.

But for scores, male/female lead are strong, villain modest, plotting modest, premise acceptable, world-building either strong or modest depending on how I answer. Characterization tends to be the highest.

It was really fun. Thanks for the awesome quiz. ^^ Sometimes it's hard to pick between a few since they're so close or I agree with more than one option.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#53 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:I showed my friends your "evaluation" and they were shocked. Because....you were spot on! Seriously, you were. Even I was surprised when you pointed out I have trouble deciding what to write about sometimes.
Really? Wow. (I guess all that writing experience does come in handy!)
Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Anyway, "retook" the quiz when I saw you added on the weak/strength part. (As in I chose the exact same answers....as much as I hate the choices in the characters since I always change them in every story I write. XD)
You know, I'm not thrilled with the character selection of my quiz either. I just jotted down the most common characters found in those stories.
Drama-2
Male Lead-Strong
Plotting-Strong
Characterization-6
Female Lead-Acceptable
Premise-Acceptable
Description-6
Villain-Strong
World Building-Acceptable
Keep in mind that's 6 put of 9 starting with 0, so those 6s are pretty damned good!
Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Just goes to show I have a long way to go to improve. And I shall no longer curse myself for attempting to make stuff believable. I shall embrace it instead. Now if only I could be more firm with myself when deciding.
Good for you! It can only make your work stronger.
Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Thanks for the fun quiz and how informative you have been!
My pleasure! I like helping my fellow writers. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ixWishing wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote:...[Children's literature] also means that you prefer stories focused on Character Growth. I'm a Pixar/Disney/Studio Gihbli fan myself.
Thanks! Now I'm really tempted to start writing again ^^.I just like how characters would develop over time, in stories.
Go for it!!!
ixWishing wrote:On the other hand, on my first try, I got a tie between Children's lit & literature.
But I ended up getting Children's literature since I chose that I liked Disney films, LOL.
Literature, believe it or not is actually measured on how willing the writer is to break the rules -- in other words, Creative Writing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KittyKatStar wrote:Depending on how I feel I either get comedy or historical or even children's books.
That just means you happen to like strong characters and happy endings. :)
KittyKatStar wrote:But for scores,
male/female lead are strong,
villain modest,
plotting modest,
premise acceptable,
world-building either strong or modest depending on how I answer.
Characterization tends to be the highest.
Well, Comedy, Historicals, and Children's Lit all focus and rely on Characterization, so I'm not surprised.
KittyKatStar wrote:It was really fun. Thanks for the awesome quiz. ^^ Sometimes it's hard to pick between a few since they're so close or I agree with more than one option.
I'm absolutely thrilled you enjoyed it!
-- I made the choices very close because many of the genres overlap in places. You really have to read through the choices to make an accurate one.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

FarahElshami

Re: What kind of Fiction should You write? 4.0! [Quiz game ]

#54 Post by FarahElshami »

GOD~ I just Downloaded it!BINGO!!! I write Novels and i CAN'T WAIT till i find out what type suits me =3 I think I'm better at Adventure or Romance, and sometimes Goth.....REAAAL Goth xD lol, well then, I will write another reply when I'm done, THANK YOU <3 <3

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#55 Post by OokamiKasumi »

FarahElshami wrote:GOD~ I just Downloaded it!BINGO!!! I write Novels and i CAN'T WAIT till i find out what type suits me =3 I think I'm better at Adventure or Romance, and sometimes Goth.....REAAAL Goth xD lol, well then, I will write another reply when I'm done, THANK YOU <3 <3
Looking forward to hearing from you after you play it. (Shouldn't take long...)

FarahElshami

#56 Post by FarahElshami »

8) okay I'm Done, xD i played it two times and at the first i got "children books" and at the second got romance xD but my second highest points were st the "goth" lol, i just love those sad dramatic goth scenes :D i loved and enjoyed it! keep it up! <3 <3

Taffyhead

#57 Post by Taffyhead »

The first time I took the quiz, I got Historical. It really surprised me, but I can't argue with it since I have a project where I'm writing fairytales set in different countries and different eras.
I decided to take the quiz a second time because I had more than one answer for some of the questions and I got fantasy. I can't argue with that either.
My scores the second time were:
Romance, Mystery, Erotica, Suspence: 1
Historial: 2
Literature, Horror: 3
Fantasy: 4

I'm a little disappointed that I got 0 for Comedy both times. I always thought I was kinda funny...

Veniae
Veteran

#58 Post by Veniae »

I got Gothic. That's a bit surprising, because I've never tried writing Gothic, nor do I particularly enjoy reading it. But it's worth a try!

My results:
Gothic - 4
Action/adventure - 3
Fantasy - 2
Suspense - 2
Historical - 1
Mystery - 1
Erotica -1

Drama - 6
Characterisation - 6
Description - 7
Everything is Acceptable except for Villain and Novelty, which are both Modest.

Not so bad, I suppose?

In any case, it's a fun and interesting little quiz! Thanks a lot for creating it! :)

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#59 Post by Blane Doyle »

I tried the new version and got slightly different results. I went down one each in Romance and Sci-Fi (1-0 and 2-1 respectively and gained two in Suspense. I guess I answered two of the questions differently this time around (one I had no choice but to, as you removed the answer I chose for Leading Lady last time).

As for everything else:

Drama: 2/ Plotting: Modest/ Male Lead: Strong
Characterization: 5/ Premise: Acceptable/ Female Lead: Acceptable (I feel a strong need to change this one.)
Description 5/ World Building: Acceptable/ Villain: Strong
Novelty: Modest

... Not bad in my mind, honestly. I am perfectly ok with this (for now). I wish characterization was higher, but I know this is just a general number and someone who gets a 9 could write horrible characters while someone with a 2 could actually write very good ones.

But overall, this matches me pretty well.
Last edited by Blane Doyle on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#60 Post by OokamiKasumi »

FarahElshami wrote:8) okay I'm Done, xD i played it two times and at the first i got "children books" and at the second got romance xD but my second highest points were st the "goth" lol, i just love those sad dramatic goth scenes :D i loved and enjoyed it! keep it up! <3 <3
I'm glad you liked the quiz!
- Children's Lit, Romance and Gothics are all Drama and Characterization heavy. This tells me that you prefer to focus on the characters and what they feel, rather than describe their surroundings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taffyhead wrote:The first time I took the quiz, I got Historical. It really surprised me, but I can't argue with it since I have a project where I'm writing fairytales set in different countries and different eras.
Historicals are very strong in research and detailing. If you like keeping your facts straight in your stories, it's no wonder you scored well in Historical.

I decided to take the quiz a second time because I had more than one answer for some of the questions and I got fantasy. I can't argue with that either.

Historial: 2
Literature, Horror: 3
Fantasy: 4[/quote]
Fantasy... True Fantasy, not Action-Adventure styled fantasy, focuses on the Backdrop, or Setting more than the story or the characters. This is another tell-tale hint that you're strong in research and descriptive detailing. Horror also takes detailing, but along with Literature, they're strong in Characterization and Drama.
Taffyhead wrote:I'm a little disappointed that I got 0 for Comedy both times. I always thought I was kinda funny...
Comedy plays a little too fast and loose with the facts, so I'm not surprised that didn't show up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Veniae wrote:I got Gothic. That's a bit surprising, because I've never tried writing Gothic, nor do I particularly enjoy reading it. But it's worth a try!

Gothic - 4
Action/adventure - 3
Fantasy - 2
Suspense - 2

Drama - 6
Characterization - 6
Description - 7

Everything is Acceptable except for Villain and Novelty, which are both Modest.

Not so bad, I suppose? In any case, it's a fun and interesting little quiz! Thanks a lot for creating it! :)
Not bad at all!
-- Gothics are Description and Characterization heavy, but Action-Adventure actually has stronger character types than Gothics. Have you considered consider combining the two? This would strengthen your Villain.

Novelty however, is how willing the writer is to break the rules. You're pretty disciplined in your writing, so of course you're going to score a Modest.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blane Doyle wrote:I tried the new version and got slightly different results. I went down one each in Romance and Sci-Fi (1-0 and 2-1 respectively and gained two in Suspense. I guess I answered two of the questions differently this time around (one I had no choice but to, as you removed the answer I chose for Leading Lady last time).
I really need to work on that character list. I'm still not happy with it.
Blane Doyle wrote: Drama: 2/ Plotting: Modest/ Male Lead: Strong
Characterization: 5/ Premise: Acceptable/ Female Lead: Acceptable (I feel a strong need to change this one.)
Description 5/ World Building: Acceptable/ Villain: Strong
Novelty: Modest

... Not bad in my mind, honestly. I am perfectly ok with this (for now). I wish characterization was higher, but I know this is just a general number and someone who gets a 9 could write horrible characters while someone with a 2 could actually write very god ones.
That's exactly True.
-- I need to get with someone that reads obsessively so I can tweak that character list to a little more accuracy. It's close, but it's still not right.
Blane Doyle wrote:...overall, this matches me pretty well.
Excellent!

By the way, I need a better word than 'Acceptable'. That's actually a B-grade, not a C-grade.

Strong - A
Acceptable - B <--
Modest - C
Weak - D

Any ideas?
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.