Magus Opus

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mistik
Regular

Magus Opus

#1 Post by Mistik »

main_menu.png
Magus Opus is a 72 hours completion project between two friends.

We wanted to create a game that utilized the most famous personality test in the world, the Keirsey/Myers-briggs Temperament Sorter. It’s a game where you play a young person new to Magehood and where the player’s choices will lead to what kind of mage they will become.

One person did mainly character art, the other did mainly writing. The backgrounds are pulled from the internet and the music is from Chrono Cross.

Thanks For Playing :)

GOOGLE PLAY LINK TO GAME
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... Aya+Tanaka#

Edit 1
ADDED ANDROID VERSION OF THE GAME
Attachments

[The extension apk has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

magus opus-1.0-all.zip
Mac/PC/Linux version of the game.
(28.43 MiB) Downloaded 393 times
Last edited by Mistik on Fri May 24, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kessie
Regular

Re: Magus Opus

#2 Post by Kessie »

I love personality quizzes so I was pretty drawn to downloading and giving this a go :P
It's quite short but considering it was completed in a time frame and to suit the sorter, it's not bad.
It was surprising that you guys managed to fit it into a story, rather than just asking the quiz questions right off the bat so props! :D

Congratulations on your release.

NB: I'm a Conjurer.

NickName

#3 Post by NickName »

Hey folks, Nick here, the artist of this project.

I'll start off first and foremost by apologizing for the absolutely horrendous pink-and-green menu color scheme! When we were first starting the project, Kawan went and clicked some random color scheme, so when it came time to implement a menu splash, we were SOL since he wasn't very familiar with changing it and I'd never worked with Renpy before. Sorry about that!

With that said, I'd have liked to put in quite a few more expressions and general art here and there; as an artist, I feel a bit like a cheater for putting in backgrounds and music that weren't originally created, but such is the race against time. I hope to move forward in talent and artistry, such that time no longer becomes as much of a pressing issue.

To Kessie, thank you for giving us your time! You're right, each singular path is fairly short for the most part; maintaining the pathways for each personality type proved to be a lot more difficult than we anticipated. We initially intended for this to a be a 1-day project, but when we got to the end of the first day, we decided to extend the project cycle once it became clear to us that it wasn't panning out quite the way we had planned.

And for those yet to play it, I hope it can provide some small enjoyment, no matter how minor. If you feel especially inclined, feel free to give us a holler and tear us apart! Trust me when I say that if you see something poorly done and/or terrible in there, chances are that we were the first to be aware of it, so feel free to be as critical as you like!

Thanks!~

Skyefrost
Regular

#4 Post by Skyefrost »

I like the idea of making the quiz by making a scenario but this scenario sort of...well it didn't really work that well. I got an ENTP (conjurer)....I'm actually an INFP.......There's a huge different with Extrovert and introverts, but it was sort of the scenario fault that I got the answer. The second time I played it, I got INTP, the Sigilmancer. (course I know that's the closest one to my type.)
For instance,
You had a choice to either save the guy or go after the villain....The guy is your friend so it kind of gave you more of a moral choice, Do you save this guy that you know or go after the bad guy?

if you wanted to test if the person is introvert or extrovert, you could have it be a stranger or some one he doesn't know very well. an introvert would be to shy to ask someone they don't know very well for help. but then again house is burning....and you need to take away villain...

You also injured,(limping?) and you're going after a villain whose burning houses....Why wouldn't you want help? from a friend? Then again if you were well, then asking someone who's injured to help is a no go too...
Just a critique, introverts are not so loner-esqe. Introvert could be very close to a small group of friends and family. I don't mind asking for help from people I know well, but I would prefer not to, but with the scenerio....I think I would make an exception....

I think the game is awesome though.

Mistik
Regular

#5 Post by Mistik »

Oh no prob with the critique. it helps me understand more so on future attempts I can get the scenarios more appropriate for selecting the types.

Thanks for playing

Skyefrost
Regular

#6 Post by Skyefrost »

XD I also forgot to mention that I really love the story writing and the art. The epilogue for all of the type was written well, they had different personalities even they were all "cold". The pictures also mesh well with the "types". :D

NickName

#7 Post by NickName »

Thanks for playing!

And thanks for the comments, we'll definitely take it to heart! You're right, the scenario does somewhat paint the player into a corner by presenting a fewer amount of choices that ultimately determine their nature. Ideally, we'd have liked to present more scenarios that result in broader, polychotomous scenario paths that acknowledge when a player has varying gradations of one trait or another, and not entirely stick them into one extreme based on only a few choices.

I like your suggestion about interacting with a stranger as opposed to just individuals that the protagonist is familiar with. Adds a little variety to the choices.

Also, I'm glad you enjoyed the art! There aren't as many assets in there as I would have liked, but I'm glad that someone enjoyed what we managed to put in there, even if just a little.

MJDAlleria
Regular

#8 Post by MJDAlleria »

Mistik wrote:... and the music is from Chrono Cross.
Definitely going to try out!
Other than me chasing this game for the music only.
The idea of playing a personality test game to see what mage I am,
is very intriguing. (slumps heads) I doubt I'll turn out too good; for me I mean!
I might turn out bad.

MJDAlleria
Regular

#9 Post by MJDAlleria »

Just finished the VN rather quickly as chose choices
such like: Check sister, Possibilities, Save Ngosi,
After Villian, Go alone, Wait. Thus giving me the
An EITP Conjurer. I had a personality test before and
that is very close it was just "E" for extroverted that
just wasn't me. However, I believe people change... (shrugs)

Warning... I'm just typing down what comes to mind. I'm
not a very good reviewer. Alright a very poor one.

Now as for the game overall, I had already attempted to
just playing to get all the other characters and reading their
back stories. I can understand that they're all so dead inside
as their peaceful life with their family and friends was... yeah.
It was fairly alright how you tried to implement the story telling
I had no qualms with your set up. Other than the characters
felt a bit dwarfed and too far to the left. The character designs
are good. I felt disappointed that you didn't give that girl you meet
at the shed a sprite. Well... so saying. It was a good VN made with
about just 3 days. I wonder what you'd be able to do if you took
more time and effort into it.

Also I might I ask -- what was with awkward blank boxes?
In where when you get your results there are two of them before
and after. It was worrisome because I thought my laptop froze.

Castielle

#10 Post by Castielle »

First off: I know practically nothing about personality tests and the like. So I can’t give you an interesting opinion on that like some of the folks above me did.

I also got the Conjurer ending.
…which kind of baffles me, because I‘m not that much of a direct/extroverted person as the MC proves to be in the epilogue. I could never look someone in the eyes and say “And that’s why I want you to take off your clothes.” or something like that :''D
Although I do think that honesty is an attractive character trait.
I hesitated for a moment at the armor part. I wished I could’ve just given it to the best friend. Taking the armor myself and then asking him to fight as well (considering his condition) seemed a bit harsh. But I took him along anyway, because I'd be too much of a sissy to go alone.
Kudos for finishing this in only three days! The art is really pretty and the writing is nice as well! Here, have some fanart! :>
Attachments
Geez, I bet the sister would've grown to a beautiful lady if she had had the chance.
Geez, I bet the sister would've grown to a beautiful lady if she had had the chance.

TAH
Projects: The Hellish Senses

#11 Post by TAH »

sounds interesting. I'll give it a go and tell you my opinion of it when I'm done. ^.~

Alright, done...and editing this comment:

I really liked the art style and the music you picked was nice as well. Also, nice writing.
This was made very well for only 3 days and like others in the earlier comments had said I would really like to see what the two of you could do in a longer time span. :)

I got the conjurer. It somewhat fixes with my personality (although I'm a very indecisive person, so it took me a while to pick certain choices. Like 'do I want strength or possibility granting!?!') So that may just be my own fault. XD

Anyways, I enjoyed playing this short little project and if the two of you planned to make anymore, I'll certainly play them. ;)

NickName

#12 Post by NickName »

MJDAlleria:
The scenario does definitely characterize the player somewhat obliquely towards a more objective, logical individual without placing much emphasis on sentimentality; Ideally, the scenarios would run through the 16 personality types rather than focusing on just 4, but I agree in that we could use a bit more variance.
MJDAlleria wrote:I felt disappointed that you didn't give that girl you meet at the shed a sprite.
Me too :lol:

We'll have to look into the black boxes; the final scenarios were implemented in the last hours of the 72 hour period, so I don't doubt that there are a few oddities here or there. Kawan was primarily responsible for getting the scripts and coding into Renpy, so I'll have him take a look at it.

TAH:
Thanks! Seems like quite a few people got the Conjurer! I kind of wonder what that says about our selection choices, or about people in general...

Castielle:
Super like!!!

Mistik
Regular

#13 Post by Mistik »

Holy Crap, FANART! Thanks! You don't know how much this has lifted my day. Instant desktop background.

The blank boxes, were my way of trying to add space between scenes. I will rethink that choice next time.

As for the entp. There are a few theories. One is that that ENTP is what most non nt's would get, because it's associated with more of the sentimental choices. Another is we did not have enough and enough varied flags for introverted/extroverted choices. The other is that the flags for extroverted are not accurate, and I need to rethink how I go about choosing extroverted/introverted questions. All of these will be looked into, and I definitely want to do a longer game.