The Royal Trap (commercial, renaissance intrigue, GxB/GxG)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zauria

Re: The Royal Trap (commercial, renaissance intrigue, GxB/Gx

#31 Post by Zauria »

EDIT: Walkthrough deleted.
But the 2shared link will still be working.
Last edited by Zauria on Tue May 13, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

KochiyaChii
Regular

#32 Post by KochiyaChii »

Congrats on the release :D

Seems good!
I L I K E P L A Y I N G O T O M E G A M E S
and other games
that's pretty much it

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#33 Post by papillon »

The HD version (on DVD) is now available for mail order, and to celebrate, we're giving away free copies! Check out this forum topic for more:

http://hanakoforum.nfshost.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=1935

NeoAngelique
Regular

#34 Post by NeoAngelique »

I really enjoyed the game. Well done on it!

AeraMillenia

#35 Post by AeraMillenia »

I absolutely loved this VN!! I completed all the routes,I loved them all,although I have to admit Nazagi's route didn't leave much of an impression on me.

And I was apprehensive to start on Gaston's route,but it left me with a pleasant surprise,one of my favourite routes actually (
only because his maid was so cute! I loved their CGs
). I really was NOT expecting that,but I'm glad it went the way it did! (
If it were any different,it would have lost all its appeal
)

Dolores route was amazingly hard to get for me,so I decided to do the other routes,which was when I realised
you can only talk to her in Callum's route
and what do you know,it worked,but even then I got her bad ending at least 10 time(a few were on purpose though).

I really loved the medieval feel it had,and all those stuff related to politics -I suck at that- was a nice touch.I felt like I got a glimpse into how real royalty was like-treachery,deception,fear and what not.A princess' life isn't all roses,ponies or teddybears! And Madeleine was just plain badass,not over the top either,but definitely not a damsel in distress.One of my favourite Otome game heroines! You guys did an amazing job.Overall,an excellent visual novel,I'd recommend it to anyone.

I hope you continue to make amazing visual novels in the future!(Sorry for this huge wall of post ^^;)

slick

#36 Post by slick »

this was the 3rd visual novel i ever played. Since then i have played so many but none of them even compare to how perfect everything in the royal trap is. from the script to artwork to even the backgrounds it is by far the best. I have never been so happy with a purchase, its honestly the best money on a VN i have ever spent. I marathon all the endings at least 2 times a month and i can confidently say that the entire game is like an incredible book that will never bore you. if you haven't already you should buy the full game, you wont regret it. Every character is well thought through and i love oscar with all my heart! :D please continue making incredible VN's in the future and thank you so much for this one. Also sorry for this huge paragraph but its the best game so i need to share my feelings :D

Artemisia

#37 Post by Artemisia »

I liked this VN, but just wait a second... You can ''do'' his maid, but you can't ''do'' Gaston himself? That's... I don't know what to say. I have no problems with gay female-friendly VNs, but don't you think an UNromanceable Gaston makes this one kinda straight female-UNfriendly? Pffft... Okay, sorry; I just happen to enjoy talking this way, but you got the point, I think. Gaston should have been romanceable, he's awesome. Compared to him, all the other princes might be more prince-like, but Gaston is fun and unique. And he might not be the most beautiful out of all the princes, but I think he's definitely the most erotic one. Pffft... Well, I love huge, cute, flamboyant, blonde men; it can't be helped. You don't mind him being unromanceable? Well, I'm going to have to say it then: I'm sure his sausage is the biggest one, okay? LOL. :lol: I wanted to see him taking a bath with his rubber ducky, his huge, beautiful feet hanging over the side of the bathtub, but I saw his maid instead! Aieeee!! :shock: :o I'm a born-to-draw person, and I appreciate nice naked men. Imagine my disappointment. :cry: I'll never be able to see that huge, cute, flamboyant, blonde guy naked! :cry: Unfair! :cry:

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#38 Post by papillon »

Clearly you should contribute some lovely Gaston images to the world then! :)

Artemisia

#39 Post by Artemisia »

papillon wrote:Clearly you should contribute some lovely Gaston images to the world then! :)
Agreed! :) Too bad I feel super-lazy these days! :( And I think I enjoy drawing females more. I mean, I like men, yeah; but we females definitely have more beautiful bodies. Aw, I sound like a sexist pervert! :oops: Okay, everyone's beautiful in their own way! :)

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#40 Post by kitsubasa »

I've been meaning to give this a go for a little while (my name is Madeleine, I like historical politics, there's a GxG option... this game couldn't be more perfect for me if it tried), and I just finished playing through a few minutes ago! I loved it from start to finish, it was interesting seeing all the layers of Cassidy/Dolores' backstories pile up across the routes (I played through Gaston->Nazagi->Oscar->Dolores->Callum). In order of completion...

Gaston: definitely my favourite route! I liked the fact that Madeleine got to take the lead on this one, I loved the romance with Colette, and I think Gaston definitely made the best companion to Cassidy of all the suitors.

Nazagi: I liked Nazagi's route, though I thought it concluded a little quickly. It made sense to wrap it up swiftly since that was an important part of adding tension to the choice to take his offer or leave it, but I think spending a bit more time exploring the implications of what he was asking of Maddie would've been the icing on the cake. As it was, when I got to the end, I was left going 'wow. What kind of fallout would come along with this, anyway?'. Since obviously, Cassidy's legitimacy as an heir is already being questioned, you have to wonder what would happen for the next generation with what Maddie and Nazagi had planned. Would their scheme work out? Or would it fall through? So many questions-- some maybe better left unanswered~

Oscar: I liked the climax of this route and I appreciated that it explained the Duke a bit better, but I felt pretty take-it-or-leave-it about Oscar as a character. No big issues with him or anything, he just isn't the sort of lead I get into! Cassidy stepping up and taking charge was nice, though, and it was great seeing her try and come to grips with being a ruler.

Callum: same with Oscar; no complaints, no real interest either, just not my type. But! So much nice Cassidy stuff in this route, and I loved the scene with her mother explaining what happened to her. I'm really glad her parents were just being supportive, and not manipulating her for their own ends-- not to say that she didn't play well into their plans, but it really made me smile that everything was done to try and make life happier for her.

All up; I loved Gaston a lot-- he was a barrel of laughs--and I loved Cassidy. I cannot stress how much I loved Cassidy. I liked how earnest she was, and the fact that she always tried to help, even if her inexperience in ruling made her make some major mistakes (especially in Oscar's route). She was driven and kind, and seeing her succeed in finding happiness in Gaston's route made me grin. I actually sort of wish that she had her own route/romance with Madeleine, even if that wouldn't make much sense politically, just because it'd give her more screentime. Gahhh. She's too cute! What a gem. Great game, good writing, and I'm glad I finally played it. : D

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by philip »

I had downloaded the demo some time ago, and found it very enjoyable, but then, for some reason never went back to it. I rediscovered the story last evening, went through it quickly, and then bought the game. Well that took care of the next few hours! I got three or four endings, and will be going back to find the rest. Everything about the effort is top notch - the story with its plot twists, the characters, the art, the overall presentation. I really got engrossed in it and will be returning to enjoy it more. Wonderful job! Others have given detailed reviews of their likes and dislikes of the various characters, so I won't do a rehash of that, other than to say that the personalities of each character were well defined.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#42 Post by papillon »

We're just about to release the fancy new version with all-new background art!

Tune in tomorrow for the new HD release.
Attachments
hd6.jpg
hd1.jpg
hd4.jpg

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#43 Post by papillon »

Now up on Steam at 15% launch discount! Clicky Clicky!

I've also changed over the version on my website to use the new graphics.

Because it's a big shift and there are some plot changes as well, saves made in the old small version do not automatically carry over to the new big version.

Plot stuff:
Callum's path can no longer be done first; you must complete some other path to unlock the option to talk to Callum at the river and start his path.
Callum's path endings have changed slightly. The 'normal' ending is now a new ending you get if Dolores leaves before the final confrontation.
At this point in time there is no way to buy the small version other than ordering the CD and getting every version we can throw at you. We may bring back the small version or make a new-graphics small version if there turn out to be a lot of people having trouble running the HD version. We'll see. So if you DO run into difficulty with the new HD version or new HD demo please let us know!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#44 Post by philip »

@papillon-

Please tell me how to go about ordering the new release on CD. I do not want to pay for a story and have to go to Steam every time I wish to play it.

Thanks,

philip

PS: This is a GREAT story; I have spent way to much time enjoying it! And I haven't found all the endings yet.
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets

#45 Post by papillon »

If you already own the game and want to see the new version you can just email me your receipt for a fresh download of the new installer, you don't have to play it on steam.

I've replaced the installers you get from buying the game with the new version, see. So it's the OLD version that you can only get on CD at the moment. Anyone buying it from my site now, or who bought it before and requests a fresh download, will now get the NEW version.

Does that make sense?