MorningStar

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#46 Post by Counter Arts »

Also... your textures for your 3d shields... make it like a real texture. Like a magic circle or something representing the type of barrier so I don't have quint to remember what barrier is used.

Hmm... maybe you're running your game loop way too fast. Like, maybe somehow you could keep track of how many milliseconds before updating and drawing again. That's my guess anyways.

I do notice that there is some weird stuff happening with the graphics though. Like, when you are doing those flashes of light, I can really see those two triangles you used to render white and black.

Jake
Support Hero

#47 Post by Jake »

Counter Arts wrote:Also... your textures for your 3d shields... make it like a real texture. Like a magic circle or something representing the type of barrier so I don't have quint to remember what barrier is used.
They are textures, they're just textures of fading-out-static. As it goes, they're colour-coded; blue for EM, purple for gravity, orange for force. The graphics you see when they take hits are also different per element. I'm not sure what could be added to them to make them more obvious; any magic-circles would need to be wildly different to easily differentiate them...
Counter Arts wrote:I do notice that there is some weird stuff happening with the graphics though. Like, when you are doing those flashes of light, I can really see those two triangles you used to render white and black.
That's 'cause of the lack of V-synch. :/
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#48 Post by Counter Arts »

Okay, finally playthrough with a decent battle record.

The battle system is good once you learn how to play it. However, if you don't then you will be owned badly.

I believe the theory of fighting in this battle system needs to be given to the player before they can really enjoy the fighting.

You need to explain certain things like a turn's Net YP gain, the fact that characters actually do have levels in different meta and maybe show some statictics.

I guess I'm just annoyed that only in normal, I never really won a battle until I played easy.

EDIT: Oh, I got V-Sync working when I put it to always on.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#49 Post by mikey »

I will need some time to play this properly, RPG/battles are not at all my speciality (stuck on the first one, actually, too much choice of attacks ^_^), but just to get the formalities out of the way, can we mirror the game on the Ren'Ai Archives? Plus, can I consider the 6-release reasonably final? Or are you planning to make more releases - I would probably wait a bit in that case.

What I liked so far was the textbox with the text scrolling within it, that was a nice idea! :P

Doc_Odd
Regular

Wow

#50 Post by Doc_Odd »

Very impressive game. I found the battles to get rather tedious, but I often feel that way about the combats in lots of professionally made games, so I don't know how much of a criticism you should take that as.

Jake
Support Hero

#51 Post by Jake »

mikey wrote:I will need some time to play this properly, RPG/battles are not at all my speciality (stuck on the first one, actually, too much choice of attacks ^_^)
Hint: You really shouldn't worry too much about the first battle - as Natsuki tells you beforehand, it's expected that you should lose anyway, so use it to play around and find out what stuff does.
mikey wrote:just to get the formalities out of the way, can we mirror the game on the Ren'Ai Archives? Plus, can I consider the 6-release reasonably final? Or are you planning to make more releases - I would probably wait a bit in that case.
Personally, I'm perfectly fine with that, although I should really check with Ficedula (who's off seeing his parents for Easter at the moment and out of contact) too. But having said that, we're planning to release another version with the bits that we didn't have time to put into the end-of-NaNoRenO release at some point, so it might be better to wait for that anyway. ;-)
mikey wrote:What I liked so far was the textbox with the text scrolling within it, that was a nice idea!
That's Fice's doing; I'd never have thought of it, having gone through however many Ren'Py games already it wouldn't have occurred to me!
But I did like the way it allowed more control of the pacing of conversation...

ficedula
Regular

#52 Post by ficedula »

Jake wrote:
Personally, I'm perfectly fine with that, although I should really check with Ficedula (who's off seeing his parents for Easter at the moment and out of contact) too. But having said that, we're planning to release another version with the bits that we didn't have time to put into the end-of-NaNoRenO release at some point, so it might be better to wait for that anyway. ;-)
I concur; while I don't mind anybody mirroring the game, I'd like a link back to the homepage (so it's easy to find the latest version if the mirror is out of date) ... and, like Jake said, there will be changes fairly soon, so you may wish to hold off for the moment.

Jake wrote:
mikey wrote:What I liked so far was the textbox with the text scrolling within it, that was a nice idea!
That's Fice's doing; I'd never have thought of it, having gone through however many Ren'Py games already it wouldn't have occurred to me!
But I did like the way it allowed more control of the pacing of conversation...
I never even considered doing it another way; I guess that shows I haven't played anywhere near as many Ren'Py games as Jake... ;)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#53 Post by mikey »

ficedula wrote:I concur; while I don't mind anybody mirroring the game, I'd like a link back to the homepage (so it's easy to find the latest version if the mirror is out of date) ... and, like Jake said, there will be changes fairly soon, so you may wish to hold off for the moment.
Homepages are always linked, once a link for the creator's homepage, and the link for the specific page of the game (sometimes these are the same if a team has only one game and a simple page).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#54 Post by monele »

Arrgh... I tried to save and double clicked the file instead of selecting it and clicking "save";... now the file dialog stays there;.. unselectable... same thing for the main window ;o;...
And I was all into it too ^^;;...

EDIT : ah, I could actually get back to it through Alt-tabbing. The problem was that it asked if I wanted to replace the file and that modal window somehow went behind everything else. It's not the first time this happens to me with Windows XP...

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

Can't play this game

#55 Post by mrsulu »

Running Win2K, at first complained of missing dlls (why aren't these included with game?). Looked at this thread to see what's wrong. Realized it must be .net missing.

Installed .net 1.1, then .net 2.0. With either one, game would declare an unhandled exception and the pictures are be missing and it keeps giving excpetions.

I guess I'll try again on my XP box, but it's been a lot of work to even get something going. Including the proper dlls with your distribution would be an important first step, though, or warn that you need .net on the download page or readme or...something.

I'm all sad from not getting to play the game!

Jake
Support Hero

Re: Can't play this game

#56 Post by Jake »

mrsulu wrote:I guess I'll try again on my XP box, but it's been a lot of work to even get something going.
Certainly it's known to have worked on XP machines, and I personally don't know of it being run on 2k machines. But it should function the same...

Just to check, though, did you preserve directory structure from the zip when you extracted it? It will cause problems if you don't; there should be three subdirectories of the game dir: "music", "save" and "sound".
mrsulu wrote:Including the proper dlls with your distribution would be an important first step, though, or warn that you need .net on the download page or readme or...something.
Yeah. All required DLLs apart from the .NET runtime are included; I thought it was mentioned on the webpage already that you needed .NET, but I see not; we'll get that fixed.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#57 Post by monele »

Was this a NaNo game btw?

Jake
Support Hero

#58 Post by Jake »

monele wrote:Was this a NaNo game btw?
Yep.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#59 Post by monele »

Quite impressive ^^.

A question though : is there *any* way to cancel a choice? ;o;... I cry when I click the wrong spell @_@

Jake
Support Hero

#60 Post by Jake »

monele wrote:A question though : is there *any* way to cancel a choice? ;o;... I cry when I click the wrong spell @_@
There's a way to cancel some choices - you can certainly back out of a spell category (element) with the escape key, for example. It's been noted that you can't back out once you've gone to select a target, though; it's on the list of "known bugs/issues which it would be good to fix for the plus version".