Elven Relations - v1.1 released!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PrettySammy09
Veteran

#76 Post by PrettySammy09 »

:) Well, I'm replaying it now, and it's just as fun as it was before, but even more so with a cute battle engine. I like that you can turn it off too. I got bored of it after awhile (on my never-ending Yurika true ending hunt) and I was grateful that I could turn it off. I love Asilana's new outfit, by the way. Great job on designing it, Sunkitten.

I liked the NazeNani at the end, and was a little amused to see one of my questions/concerns there. X3 Tohko chewed me out!

Well, I have yet to conquer Yurika's best ending, but I shall!
I got the hint at the end of her good ending, and now I think I know what to look for. Gotta talk to the right person...gotta find the mystery person!!! I SHALL get that ending!

But I am going to ask for one little hint. Okay, you know that scene were you and Yurika watch the sunrise? Is the mystery secret after or before that? O.o

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#77 Post by chronoluminaire »

DaFool wrote:The battle engine is pretty nice. It isn't bloated with too many options, the graphical display of whose ATK time is up next is clear and intuitive, and things are simple and fun in execution.

If only you were able to control each player, not just Takuya, it would be just perfect.
Thanks! Yeah, I did consider letting people control everyone, but it just didn't quite feel consistent with the rest of the game, where Takuya is most emphatically the only one the player controls.
And there's a lot of extras, although it becomes a bit too much collecting them, since you have to start from the beginning to rack up points for every girl (the Episode 4 CG event is no guarantor of getting the good end even if you do things right from that point on.)
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "extras". There are only 3 new CGs, and they're in the endings.

About the episode 4 CGs,
yes, those are purely determined by the choices you make in episode 4, not factoring in the earlier choices. The post-bandits Episode 5 events are pretty much an indicator of whether you're en route to a good ending or not.
As for starting from the beginning,
you certainly need to do things differently for Tohko vs Yurika. But a save game on one of their paths at the moment you meet Asilana would be equally possible to get that girl's best ending or Asilana's.
PrettySammy09 wrote::) Well, I'm replaying it now, and it's just as fun as it was before, but even more so with a cute battle engine. I like that you can turn it off too. I got bored of it after awhile (on my never-ending Yurika true ending hunt) and I was grateful that I could turn it off.
I'm glad both that you enjoyed it, and that you found it useful to be able to turn it off :)
Well, I have yet to conquer Yurika's best ending, but I shall!
I got the hint at the end of her good ending, and now I think I know what to look for. Gotta talk to the right person...gotta find the mystery person!!! I SHALL get that ending!

But I am going to ask for one little hint. Okay, you know that scene were you and Yurika watch the sunrise? Is the mystery secret after or before that? O.o
It's some time after that. Keep an eye out for dialogue that seems relevant to the obstacle you're facing... you'll know it when you see it.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#78 Post by Alessio »

I've played ER through only once so far (ending 6), but just have to post here already to lift my hat: I really enjoyed this one.

Constructive criticism (minor issues, being really picky):

The CG backgrounds look nice, but the photographic backgrounds don't fit in there. The story would deserve CG-only backgrounds. (Knowing as I say this that backgrounds take ages to make. Trust me. I know.) Also, text box and text font looked a bit too standard, some simple tweaking would help a lot here.

The music was well-picked, although sometimes too modern for my taste. But that's not necessarily a negative thing, just IMHO. And congrats for Asilana's great song! (Was the voice sometimes a bit off pitch? Will listen to it again. Edit: No it wasn't, I probably was sitting on my headphones. Actually perfect. And the mike isn't so bad - just some distortion in there.)

And mikey had a very good point about the perspective, I agree fully. It would also make it easier to watch facial expression and text at the same time.

Other than that:

The story is well-written, a bit clichéd perhaps, but with characters that really move the plot. It feels really long and complex beneath the apparently simple surface, at least judging by the comments of the characters that fit exactly to the earlier choices I made. There's a lot going on behind the scenes apparently. I'm curious to see how the other story paths will develop.

Just loved the anime-style previews at the end of each chapter! And, last but not least, the amount of artwork is simply mind-dazzling. Wagonloads of characters and CGs. Amazing how you managed to get all of this together.

Big thumbs up and thanks for this one!

Wushu Mastermind

#79 Post by Wushu Mastermind »

Woohoo for 1.1! My life is now complete!

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#80 Post by Alessio »

Just restored before the fight menu in episode 2, and "Strike them down as fast as possible" causes this one:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

NameError: name 'EnemyStrength' is not defined

While executing game script on line 169 of I:\Creations\ElvenRelations\renpy-6.1.1\ElvenRelations/game/combats.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Desktop\ElvenRelations1.1\ElvenRelations1.1\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 195, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Desktop\ElvenRelations1.1\ElvenRelations1.1\renpy\main.py", line 297, in main
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Desktop\ElvenRelations1.1\ElvenRelations1.1\renpy\main.py", line 99, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Desktop\ElvenRelations1.1\ElvenRelations1.1\renpy\execution.py", line 97, in run
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Desktop\ElvenRelations1.1\ElvenRelations1.1\renpy\ast.py", line 905, in execute
  File "C:\Documents and Settings\...\Desktop\ElvenRelations1.1\ElvenRelations1.1\renpy\python.py", line 887, in py_eval
  File "<none>", line 1, in <expression>

While executing game script on line 169 of I:\Creations\ElvenRelations\renpy-6.1.1\ElvenRelations/game/combats.rpy.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.1.1b
Last edited by Alessio on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuackingShoe

Ending 1

#81 Post by QuackingShoe »

Woohah! I got ending 1! And yes I had to register just to say that.
I enjoyed it. I didn't really find the ending itself as satisfying as the act of actually finding it (I actually thought of how fairly quickly, having done Yurika's endings last and so already being aware of what could have been the solution as soon as the problem came up, but it took me awhile to actually get there because I couldn't remember who told me about the person you needed to discover), but it was still enjoyable. It's nice how everyone sortof ends up happy, though as I'm presently a Tohko fanboy it hurts to see her with anyone else ;) Git away from me girl!
Good job on this whole thing, though. I may just be forgetting something, but my gut reaction right now is this was probably the most enjoyable, longest, most varied, most consistent (in terms of your choices and characters memory and reaction to them) ren'ai games I've come across on this site, and I have tried a fair number. It's also sometimes complex in how you get where you need to go to get what you want, ending 1 being a good example. The fact that you need knowledge of the game as a whole, information you wouldn't have if you just pursued the character in question, and just a small bit of creative thinking is a nice touch. It's not perfect, but I had fun. It's not every day I make sure to get every ending on one of these things, especially not when there's eight and each path takes as much time as it does. And I never go after the secret endings. So again, good job.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#82 Post by chronoluminaire »

Alessio wrote:Just restored before the fight menu in episode 2, and "Strike them down as fast as possible" causes this one:

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

Oops. Sorry. I'd already fixed this in 1.1.1, but didn't tell people about it. You can download 1.1.1, or just replace the combats.rpyc file in your game directory with the contents of the zip attached to this message.
Alessio wrote:I've played ER through only once so far (ending 6), but just have to post here already to lift my hat: I really enjoyed this one.

Constructive criticism (minor issues, being really picky):

The CG backgrounds look nice, but the photographic backgrounds don't fit in there. The story would deserve CG-only backgrounds. (Knowing as I say this that backgrounds take ages to make. Trust me. I know.) Also, text box and text font looked a bit too standard, some simple tweaking would help a lot here.
So I actually considered choosing a different font. Thing is, you have to balance the competing pulls of "giving your game its own distinct look", versus "being different just for the sake of it". I thought changing the font would have been being different just for the sake of it. As for changing the text box, I did consider that too, but wasn't quite clear how to use Ren'Py Frames in tiled mode, and just didn't think it urgent enough.
Other than that:

The story is well-written, a bit clichéd perhaps, but with characters that really move the plot. It feels really long and complex beneath the apparently simple surface, at least judging by the comments of the characters that fit exactly to the earlier choices I made. There's a lot going on behind the scenes apparently. I'm curious to see how the other story paths will develop.
Thanks for the kind words! I hope it lives up to your expectations :)
Just loved the anime-style previews at the end of each chapter! And, last but not least, the amount of artwork is simply mind-dazzling. Wagonloads of characters and CGs. Amazing how you managed to get all of this together.
Yay, I'm glad you enjoyed the previews. I loved that bit of Heart de Roommate, and instantly decided to apply it to my game's six chapters. And SunKitten deserves all the credit for the truly amazing amount of artwork she produced. I continue to be mind-boggled by what she can do.
QuackingShoe wrote:Woohah! I got ending 1! And yes I had to register just to say that.
Awesome!! :D That makes you the fourth person to get it, by my count:
1) SunKitten (but she knew the story)
2) woodpijn, my wife
3) qqzm
4) QuackingShoe!
PrettySammy will be incensed... but she's got a good chance of getting place 5 :)
EDIT: She did :) Who's next? I'm keeping a list in this post!

Spoily discussion of Ending 1 follows:
I enjoyed it. I didn't really find the ending itself as satisfying as the act of actually finding it (I actually thought of how fairly quickly, having done Yurika's endings last and so already being aware of what could have been the solution as soon as the problem came up, but it took me awhile to actually get there because I couldn't remember who told me about the person you needed to discover), but it was still enjoyable. It's nice how everyone sortof ends up happy, though as I'm presently a Tohko fanboy it hurts to see her with anyone else ;) Git away from me girl!
Heh. I always thought it would be the other way: if somebody pursued Yurika last, they'd have long forgotten the one seemingly-inconsequential piece of dialogue that they need to remember, whereas if they got her good endings first and then moved onto the other girls, when they saw that mention it would click as relevant. So my congratulations on your attentiveness :)

I know what you mean about seeing Tohko with someone else - that was quite strange for me writing it, given how emotionally charged her route can be.
But it just goes to show how a few decisions can have far-reaching consequences :)
Good job on this whole thing, though. I may just be forgetting something, but my gut reaction right now is this was probably the most enjoyable, longest, most varied, most consistent (in terms of your choices and characters memory and reaction to them) ren'ai games I've come across on this site, and I have tried a fair number. It's also sometimes complex in how you get where you need to go to get what you want, ending 1 being a good example. The fact that you need knowledge of the game as a whole, information you wouldn't have if you just pursued the character in question, and just a small bit of creative thinking is a nice touch. It's not perfect, but I had fun. It's not every day I make sure to get every ending on one of these things, especially not when there's eight and each path takes as much time as it does. And I never go after the secret endings. So again, good job.
Thank you very much! :oops:
Attachments
combats_rpyc_v1.1.1.zip
Fixed combats.rpyc to prevent the crash seen in v1.1 (this attachment is the file as in v1.1.1)
(26.96 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Last edited by chronoluminaire on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#83 Post by PrettySammy09 »

YEESSSSS!!!

Finally! Finally! I got the ending~! Thanks to tips, help, and a huge amount of replaying the game, I finally got Ending 1!! (breaks down and weeps) I seriously think I could quote this game I've played it so many times!!

I never would have guessed how to get it though. >_> But once I saw it, it just clicked! (Thanks for Quacking Shoe dropping me that hint about which chapter the secret was in.)

AMAZING! A-MA-ZING! Elven Relations gets an A++++++++ from me!

T_T Thanks for putting up with me and my antics. But it was totally worth it. That was an awesome ending!
(I think I like Kei and Tohko together. :3)
Thanks Chrono for an awesome game! I swear, I love all the stuff you make. It's amazing. :3
(Although, I do feel kinda bad for Asilana. XD She's left all alone!)
Last edited by PrettySammy09 on Fri May 11, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#84 Post by Guest »

Did you accept the drink? If you're drunk, you randomly select what you're going to do next.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#85 Post by musical74 »

OK had a chance to play with the battle system a bit and found a few things interesting out about it...if you are courting Yukira she will intercept a beastie that it meant for ya and takes a hit for you. It seems that Kei's no longer in the picture for the battle scenes, which would be a HUGE help in the fight to save the children (can you say *GAME OVER* a few times?? :shock: That dragon's a heck of a challenge!) and would have helped in the fight against the bandits too...seems Tayuka is the only one that has healing herbs so it's either Tayuka or the lovely elven lady for healing...which creates a probelm in the "dragon fight".

I really, REALLY liked the question and answer period after the game was completed. Good stuff =)

Biggest gripe - and it's a small one - is Kei disappearing when the battles of *Dragon fight* and *Bandit fight*. Just wondering why Kei was cut out of the latter two fights?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to see if I can get a fire mage to like me...
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#86 Post by mikey »

Sethaniel wrote:I can't get anything except the bad ending or Asilana's good ending. I *think* I'm steadily pursuing Tohko or Yurika, but at the end, they just walk off anyway.

Any hints?

P.S. on a totally unrelated note:
Knew pretty much from her introduction that there was some kind of secret/surprise about Asilana- but I was thinking for a while, "she"
I carried your question to the appropriate thread, hope you don't mind

It's always good to ask the question in the game's own thread, for clarity.

The completed games section has a one-topic-per-game rule. :wink:
Oh, and welcome to the forums! :P

Sethaniel
Regular

#87 Post by Sethaniel »

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I meant to ask the question from inside this thread, I just messed up when I posted it.

Teleute_Eirene

Bugs

#88 Post by Teleute_Eirene »

I'm sorry if I didn't post this in the right section but I found a rather horrid bug.
I've already completed it once over with Asilana's good ending and like the ending said, I'm trying to get a better ending with her.
However I'm at the second battle (the one where we rescue the kids stuck up in the tree) and suddenly the program closes up without a trace.

Could you please help me?

P.S. I love the story line and the artwork. And I would love to see the mer people and see their story... oh and it would be so wonderful if Makoto could finally be happy. T_T

Oh and erm... :oops: could you make one just for us girls? It seems that we don't really have many dating sims that is more for girls than for boys and while I have thoroughly enjoyed your game, I just wished for once, that I could be a heroine (yes I am a girl) and win myself a handsome knight... instead of having it the other way around most of the time. T_T

Thank you for reading this and one of the best games I've played. ^^

P.P.S. By the way, I tried different moves in the battle and seemed to have avoided having the program do a Houdini on me.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Bugs

#89 Post by DaFool »

Teleute_Eirene wrote: Oh and erm... :oops: could you make one just for us girls? It seems that we don't really have many dating sims that is more for girls than for boys and while I have thoroughly enjoyed your game, I just wished for once, that I could be a heroine (yes I am a girl) and win myself a handsome knight... instead of having it the other way around most of the time. T_T
Chrono already made a GxB http://chrono.visualnews.net/WhenIRuleTheWorld/

Other GxB can be found here
http://www.renai.us/view/relationship_GxB.shtml

Yeah, pretty slim pickings, but would probably require more girls joining and making GxB. (And recently I have been practicing writing as a female protagonist, so maybe I might contribute in the near future.)

Teleute_Eirene

#90 Post by Teleute_Eirene »

Whine Alert!!!!

I've seen the game "When I Rule the World" and although I do like the artwork, I don't think it's quite the same as "Elven Relations".

By the way, I know this might sound repetative but I really can't get the best ending with Yurika.

Oh and I forgot to mention this in my previous post but kudos to SunKitty. Caller is the hottest! *drools* ( >.< no, I don't have an Electra complex in case you were wondering. )

^^ I look forward to seeing your contribution. You're very lucky to be able to contribute. I wish I could too.. :( but the only thing I know about programming is as small as the space between the eyes of a chicken.