Moe Escape [Escape the room, Horror, Cuteness]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Moe Escape [Escape the room, Psychological, Horror, Cute

#31 Post by azureXtwilight »

Finished the game! At first I was YAAAAY! And then I was FFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I wonder if there's gonna be another ending~ Also, Fabienne is cute <3

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#32 Post by Coren »

It was a fun game - I wasn't disappointed by the ending cos hey, it technically makes sense, and also it was a short game.
Congrats for shooting the shaggy dog. XD
A minor nitpick, but I think you shouldn't mislead players with the "psychological" in the thread tag. There's nothing remotely psychological about it - a psychological genre is one that concentrates on the stark realism, motivations and psyche of the characters involved. The loli girl's reaction to being trapped in a strange room is all but realistic. Yep, it's the charm of the game, but it isn't psychological. ;) I'm saying this because more and more games have been misusing the word "psychological" lately and it isn't a very good idea as it heavily dilutes the genre and people stop knowing how to use it.

But all in all, it was a fun game! Gonna check out Ellie. :P

LolicOnion
Regular

#33 Post by LolicOnion »

Kirroha wrote:It was a fun game - I wasn't disappointed by the ending cos hey, it technically makes sense, and also it was a short game.
Congrats for shooting the shaggy dog. XD
A minor nitpick, but I think you shouldn't mislead players with the "psychological" in the thread tag. There's nothing remotely psychological about it - a psychological genre is one that concentrates on the stark realism, motivations and psyche of the characters involved. The loli girl's reaction to being trapped in a strange room is all but realistic. Yep, it's the charm of the game, but it isn't psychological. ;) I'm saying this because more and more games have been misusing the word "psychological" lately and it isn't a very good idea as it heavily dilutes the genre and people stop knowing how to use it.

But all in all, it was a fun game! Gonna check out Ellie. :P
Thanks for the input!

I updated the psychological tag ;D

PinkPoison

Re: Moe Escape [Escape the room, Horror, Cuteness]

#34 Post by PinkPoison »

Played it. Loved it.

Fabienne is so cute :3 The sprites you made look really good and her interactions with the environment are great. I also liked the way how to use the objects.

I really enjoyed this game and I think you did an amazing job! The puzzles were really well done, especially the last one.
Just one thing that didn't make quite sense for me:
Why does the key float to the surface? Aren't keys usually to heavy and sink down when they fall into water? I think if an object that normally floats on the water would be attached to the key it would make more sense. At least for me. But I still liked the idea :)
I have to admit I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending and I was like "nooo, this can't be the end". I wish the game would have been longer :D

I would love to see a sequel of this game or a longer version or...actually I'm ok with whatever you plan for the future, because I've seen your potential.

I will keep my eyes out for the games you make in the future ;)

Starwulfen
Regular
Projects: Project PeGASuS, Destiny's Spire, The Dragon Call
Organization: Mist Fables

#35 Post by Starwulfen »

Loved this, especially the final puzzle. ^_^
It took me a couple of tries to work out what to do, but not so long that I wanted to give up.
Work in Progress - Destiny's Spire
NaNoRenO 2013 - The Dragon Call

LolicOnion
Regular

#36 Post by LolicOnion »

Starwulfen wrote:Loved this, especially the final puzzle. ^_^
It took me a couple of tries to work out what to do, but not so long that I wanted to give up.

Glad you liked it ^w^

PinkPoison wrote:Played it. Loved it.

Fabienne is so cute :3 The sprites you made look really good and her interactions with the environment are great. I also liked the way how to use the objects.

I really enjoyed this game and I think you did an amazing job! The puzzles were really well done, especially the last one.
Just one thing that didn't make quite sense for me:
Why does the key float to the surface? Aren't keys usually to heavy and sink down when they fall into water? I think if an object that normally floats on the water would be attached to the key it would make more sense. At least for me. But I still liked the idea :)
I have to admit I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending and I was like "nooo, this can't be the end". I wish the game would have been longer :D

I would love to see a sequel of this game or a longer version or...actually I'm ok with whatever you plan for the future, because I've seen your potential.

I will keep my eyes out for the games you make in the future ;)
LOL
I'm surprised more people haven't asked about that. I don't know... It must be a plastic key.
We'll see what happens. Right now I'm gonna take a break. I think I overworked myself making this game xD After my break I'll see what happens

PinkPoison

#37 Post by PinkPoison »

LolicOnion wrote: LOL
I'm surprised more people haven't asked about that. I don't know... It must be a plastic key.
We'll see what happens. Right now I'm gonna take a break. I think I overworked myself making this game xD After my break I'll see what happens
Haha, yeah, that would make sense xD

Alright, I understand that. I think there's no need to push yourself anyway, because you did a great job so far ;)

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#38 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

This was an adorable, creepy, and beautifully made escape the room puzzle.

I am in awe of your inventory system. Is there any chance of you adding how you did it to the ren'py cookbook?

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by 15385bic »

I finally escaped! LOL
i feel so slow for taking so long with the last puzzel for the door (gave up once before and when i finally tried it again - it just clicked ^^')

great lil game - although wished it was longer and had more puzzels
do more paths! >8D

LolicOnion
Regular

#40 Post by LolicOnion »

Flowers from Nowhere wrote:This was an adorable, creepy, and beautifully made escape the room puzzle.

I am in awe of your inventory system. Is there any chance of you adding how you did it to the ren'py cookbook?
I don't know if it's worthy to go in the cookbook, but I'll post the code here so you can see it :D

Code: Select all

elif result == "items":
        voice "load.ogg"
        show items6 onlayer pie
        $ result = renpy.imagemap("ground.png", "selected.png", [
                           (835, 389, 1280, 800, "key"),
                           (416, 400, 823, 800, "crate"),
                           (391, 0, 798, 360, "bucket"),
                           (0, 0, 426, 400, "nothing"),
                           (0, 400, 426, 800, "rock"),
                           (798, 0, 1280, 400, "glass"),
                          ])

hide rockicon onlayer pie
        hide crateicon onlayer pie
        hide glassicon onlayer pie
        hide keyicon onlayer pie
        hide bucketicon onlayer pie

if result == "crate":
            voice "equip.ogg"
            $ item = 3
            show crateicon onlayer pie
            hide items6 onlayer pie
            jump eighttwo

if result == "nothing":
            voice "equip.ogg"
            $ item = 0
            hide rockicon onlayer pie
            hide items6 onlayer pie
            jump eighttwo

if result == "rock":
            voice "equip.ogg"
            $ item = 1
            hide items6 onlayer pie
            show rockicon onlayer pie
            jump eighttwo

if result == "glass":
            voice "equip.ogg"
            $ item = 2
            hide items6 onlayer pie
            show glassicon onlayer pie
            jump eighttwo

if result == "bucket":
            voice "equip.ogg"
            $ item = 4
            hide items6 onlayer pie
            show bucketicon onlayer pie
            jump eighttwo

if result == "key":
            voice "equip.ogg"
            $ item = 5
            hide items6 onlayer pie
            show keyicon onlayer pie
            jump eighttwo
So basically I just used more imagemaps for everything. When the player clicks the item icon in the top right of the screen, the game immediately shows the inventory picture on layer pie. (Layer Pie is just a layer I made that would work on top of everything else. The name is random! lol) So, my code is pretty clunky because I didn't want to fuss with too many variables. Therefore, each time you got a new item, a new "items" code would be called.

Let's take a look at what we have here then. So when the item icon is clicked, this code first loads the inventory image(which is just a jpg with pics of the items) and then erases any picture of an item that is currently equipped(the little pic of the icon during gameplay). Next, the imagemap is set in place, so when you click in a certain area, that item is then equipped. So say we clicked on the picture of the rock, it would play the equip sound first. Next it would set the variable "item" to 1. What this does is tell the game what item the player currently has equipped. So when you go and click the mirror, it will only break if item==1. Then the game hides the inventory and displays the rockicon.png picture to show you have the rock currently equipped.

That's it really. It could've been done much more gracefully, but I took the easier, more convoluted route. ^_^

Let me know if you have any questions.

Skarn
Regular

#41 Post by Skarn »

Very short game, but enjoyable nonetheless. For most of the stories, I was pretty sure that :
The girl was the madwoman behind all of this. Look at it: the main character is chained in a strange room, when she is free to move. She does not take any initiative before we wake up, but does everything we say, except unchaining us. She is clearly toying with us! She is using her moe power to manipulate the player! Actually, the ending does not contradict this: she could be lying and faking an attack from an imaginary other culprit.
I actually think there is a potential for a sequel or an extended version, with more rooms, and perhaps, also, more plot.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations

#42 Post by xavimat »

Skarn wrote:Very short game, but enjoyable nonetheless. For most of the stories, I was pretty sure that :
The girl was the madwoman behind all of this. Look at it: the main character is chained in a strange room, when she is free to move. She does not take any initiative before we wake up, but does everything we say, except unchaining us. She is clearly toying with us! She is using her moe power to manipulate the player! Actually, the ending does not contradict this: she could be lying and faking an attack from an imaginary other culprit.
I actually think there is a potential for a sequel or an extended version, with more rooms, and perhaps, also, more plot.
I was thinking more or less the same... at the end
we don't see the girl anymore... :roll:
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#43 Post by Kato »

Skarn wrote:Very short game, but enjoyable nonetheless. For most of the stories, I was pretty sure that :
Yeah, 100%! As soon as it mentioned we were still chained to the wall I instantly jumped to the girl being the culprit. Why wasn't she chained too!
WHY DAMMIT! :cry: :cry:
PinkPoison wrote:Just one thing that didn't make quite sense for me:
Why does the key float to the surface? Aren't keys usually to heavy and sink down when they fall into water? I think if an object that normally floats on the water would be attached to the key it would make more sense. At least for me. But I still liked the idea
I just tested this:
I threw 4 of my keys into the sink and my West Coast key (football team) floats. I can tell now that, quality-wise, it wasn't worth the $8.99 I paid for it XD
Edit: Thinking about how this is how I'm spending my midnights is beginning to worry me XD
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

PinkPoison

#44 Post by PinkPoison »

Kato wrote:
Yeah, 100%! As soon as it mentioned we were still chained to the wall I instantly jumped to the girl being the culprit. Why wasn't she chained too!
WHY DAMMIT! :cry: :cry:
OMG! YES!
I thought the same thing! I'm also pretty sure that she has to be involved in all this >.<
Kato wrote: I just tested this:
I threw 4 of my keys into the sink and my West Coast key (football team) floats. I can tell now that, quality-wise, it wasn't worth the $8.99 I paid for it XD
Edit: Thinking about how this is how I'm spending my midnights is beginning to worry me XD
That's kind of interesting.

And don't worry it was for research purpose after all xD

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#45 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I tried to play, but after the part at the very beginning where she says "What should I do?" I couldn't do anything! Everything was dark and black and there were no options of anything, or am I to click around everywhere until there's light? (I was clicking around but....nothing was happening).
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"