Eidolon

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
absinthe
Regular

#16 Post by absinthe »

You guys are way too nice!
lordcloudx wrote: 8) don't blame absinthe for that part. I am guilty of wanting to draw and include both cameos.
Yep, I totally had to have my arm twisted to add in a gorgeous redhead... not! ;)

Oh, and, since I'm not sure I put it anywhere, here's how many endings are possible:
There are eight endings per gender (roughly the same across gender lines), A1 - A4 and B1 - B4, and two alternate path endings, C1 and C2.
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

Mr. E
Regular

#17 Post by Mr. E »

After playing through the whole game the firt thing that came to my mind was: "WHY DIDN'T YOU PLAY THAT INTRODUCTION MUSIC SOMEWHERE IN THE GAME?!?!" *Ahem* Sorry, I just liked it very much :P . Flashy introduction, intresting presentation and lots of choices and paths! I felt a lot of mixed feelings when I was playing this game, but my first ending was:
a4 (which, correct me if I'm wrong) one of the "good endings" of the game. I guess I'm naturally distrustful of things like fate... Eileen's presence actually was an extra bizarre factor to me. I kept wondering if she was really Eileen from the Ren'Py demo (which would lead to some very strange questions about the nature of reality in the game) or just a cameo apearance. Actually the game seemed very self-referencing to me... It's hard to explain it, but the nature of the narrator (stuck in a situation with no memory and learning things at the same time as the player, even it's gender is a bit blurry...) and some other things let me thinking "This feels like a game that knows it's a game." It's hard to explain. I'm not calling it fakey or unrealistic. It just feels very "game", which is not bad at all. It's a bit like quine, although quine was much more metalinguistic than Eidolon.
I have some qualms about certain parts, which could be a little more detailed, but I know how harrowing NaNoRenO constraints can be so I'll pass over them. Overall a very good game, and quite a unique one as well. Congratulations for both absinthe and lordcloudx!

chisa-chan
Regular

#18 Post by chisa-chan »

Got the a1 and a4 ending.

Ara, IMO, it seems that this game seems to lacks sounds. It somehow feels too quiet to me, and this is the most quiet game I've ever played.

Well, aside of that, I put this VN as one of my favorite OELVNs.... :D :D
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#19 Post by F.I.A »

Got ending b2. Will be finishing with other endings when I got more free hand with me.

Nice visual effects for the first few bits. Definitely makes it look "professional".
Quite a few cameos you got there. First, I think I spotted Kotori as a crying girl, and then Eileen? Brilliant...

I guess I share the same sentiment with Mr E. The music should not be limited to just the intros.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

parvenue
Regular

#20 Post by parvenue »

Got quite a few endings on this one. Something about this game made me want to see it all the way through, and that's saying a lot! The artwork was a nice level of soft, nothing too soft. What I loved most about the art were the backgrounds, especially the streets in the beginning of the game. The writing style had a pleasant fluidity to it that caught my attention without having to go "HERE, LOOK AT ME!" That's great stuff. :D
The endings that I got were b4 at first, then b1, a3, a1, a2 and, finally, the ending where you just "give up" because I was curious. No C endings for me, I'm afraid. :( My favorite endings were the one where Edward and Amelie fall in love or whatever (and you're just a little spirit thing, aw man), and the other where Edward and you are together with Amelie as a spirit/angel thingy. ^_^

The characters' color glows were a nice touch, as well.
Nice work here. ;)
parvenue
showcase

SHjunkie
>>>>SOLSTICE<<<<

Need a PREMIUM Rapidshare host? PM me - I'll host your files free of charge.

Ignosco
Veteran

#21 Post by Ignosco »

I found the story really captivating with a good mix of the surreal, romantic and supernatural.

The customisation of Ren'Py in the game is fantastic, with the way the dialogue and menus are presented - it fits in perfectly with the atmosphere. After a few minutes on my first playthrough (after feeling drawn in by the title screen, alternative cursor and music), it almost felt like time stood still when I was playing - I felt completely a part of the VN.

There was such a strong atmosphere in the game, that it felt complete without music. Just having it at the menu and credits seemed enough. Artwise - the glowing 'emotional' colours worked really well, for me it emphasised the non-human nature of the protagonist - the cameos were a bit bizarre, but they didn't feel too out of place.

The first ending I got was the give up ending :D, then a1, b1 and a3. All of them were done well and felt fairly conclusive, apart from the give up one. Having so many choices incorporated into the story seemed to work well, as a lot of them were internal/feelings based, which fit into a mostly linear storyline but also allow for significant changes in the end result (fated actions not fated emotions). :)
Congratulations :D

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by monele »

I've played through to ending A1 twice
But as two different characters ^^... nice idea
and will try to play some more when the time comes ^_^.

I like the idea and overall realization. Actually it's not so much the "idea" than the ideas. All those little details (colors, effects) that make this stand out as something original ^.^.
Of course, the splashscreen is really neat :)... How was the very first one made ? Frame by frame animation replayed in Ren'Py ?

chisa-chan
Regular

#23 Post by chisa-chan »

monele wrote:Of course, the splashscreen is really neat :)... How was the very first one made ? Frame by frame animation replayed in Ren'Py ?
I saw the intro_nano.rpy in the gamedir. An animation composed from several images.
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by monele »

Thought so :). Mm, didn't think to look at the sources ^^;..

absinthe
Regular

#25 Post by absinthe »

Mr. E wrote:After playing through the whole game the firt thing that came to my mind was: "WHY DIDN'T YOU PLAY THAT INTRODUCTION MUSIC SOMEWHERE IN THE GAME?!?!" *Ahem* Sorry, I just liked it very much :P .
Isn't it great? That's a remix from CCMixter. Honestly, I didn't use it again because I didn't find a scene that felt 'right' to use it. (Now that I think of it, I do use that piece and other remixes of the source in my first game, which will hopefully someday be illustrated and released. Yes, seventy-gajillion gigs of suitably licensed music on my hard drive and all of the internet at my fingers, and I had to reuse a piece. But nothing else felt right.)

Definitely some thought-provoking points in your spoiler-box! I'll have to think about it a bit; I tend to make a lot of my design decisions out of my subconscious, and I hadn't thought to really consider why I was making those particular choices!
monele wrote:Of course, the splashscreen is really neat :)... How was the very first one made ? Frame by frame animation replayed in Ren'Py ?
I would have loved to use the built-in Ren'Py stuff to accomplish the effect, but the Zoom/Rotozoom/etc. functions really confused me. I know it sounds dumb... I just couldn't wrap my brain around them. And I tried, I swear! But they just wouldn't do what I wanted 'em to. And the final animated frames version is way too big to be practical.

If anyone wants to take a stab at it, I'd be happy to bundle up all the raw images and sounds and send them over -- if we could get a nice tiny version, it'd be infinitely more usable for other projects! :)

Since ending C1 is probably my favorite, here's the spoiler for it:
To get the C endings, you need to be on the alternate path (neither "A" nor "B"), have a fairly high rating with the love interest, and be at least somewhat defiant about your fate.

To get on the alternate path, you need to follow the crying in the restaurant, then, when your love interest wanders away, "wait" on the riverbank. Follow the crying again and help out.

Here's the optimal path for ending C1 for the female love interest (the male love interest is pretty much the same). You can technically change up some of the answers a little (see line 2411 in events.rpy for the exact conditions required), but this sequence will get C1 for sure. :)

"follow her" "kicking it" "like it" "ask on date" "apologetic" --follow crying-- "dodge" "glad" "curious" "wait" -- follow crying again-- "help" "enter cave" "truth" --follow love interest-- "attack" "nod" "mistaken" "truth"

End C2 is a lot trickier to get, as you have to have a high but not perfect relationship with the love interest. Alternatively, one of the outcomes of the decision you make in end C1 will jump you over to end C2, but you won't see the "Ending c2" label in that case, even though you're technically seeing the text of end C2.

(I know this is sloppy; I finished the alternate path right up against the deadline and didn't consider the balance as thoroughly as I should have. Something to improve for version 2.)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

Teleute eirene

Re: Eidolon

#26 Post by Teleute eirene »

Help! I can't download it. T_T it says HTTP 40 not found. or something along those lines. Please help I wanna experience it too!

Chii Motosuwa

#28 Post by Chii Motosuwa »

er, it doesn't work on my PC, i use windows xp, is that bad? XD
You're a llama, i'm a llama, we're all dancy showy llamas :3

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#29 Post by lordcloudx »

It doesn't? What kind of error do you get? The creator is kinda MIA from this forum right now. (or lurking?)
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

blakjak
Veteran

#30 Post by blakjak »

There are wonderful graphical and scenaristic ideas in this VN, it's dynamic and touching. Thanx for sharing this story.