Rising Angels: The Red Rose

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Re: Rising Angels: The Red Rose [GxG]

#31 Post by KomiTsuku »

distorsion wrote:If this is the final version, I must say I'm a bit surprised, given the WIP page made me think this was going to be a GxAll VN where you could date most all the characters and take different routes. Did something change?
There's a long and lengthy tale involving the hardships of a developer, but the short story boils down to dwindling funds (taken from my own pocket, not some kickstarter), problematic development, and a writer who was at the point of slitting his wrists if he had to write another line of school drama when he signed up for an action-packed space adventure. We narrowed things down and devoted a lot of energy to making one solid route instead. This isn't the final version by a long shot, but this is a checkpoint while we recover.
D'd'D wrote:I played it! And it's good, I enjoyed the plot very much! XD
Edit: forgot to mention, I just can't shake the feeling that the Faye in the Title Screen look older than Faye in-game XD
I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^_^
An interesting observation, one I cannot confirm or deny has any special meaning.

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#32 Post by fioricca »

Was finally able to set aside some time to play it, and I have to say that it was a fun read! I've never played any yuri games before so I approached this with curiosity and caution, but I ended up enjoying it quite a lot. The dialogue/jokes were confusing at some parts, and the sprites were so static that it's hard to tell who's speaking at the moment; sometimes, not everyone involved in the scene were displayed on the screen, which threw me off. This stabilised towards the end, making things easier to follow.

What I love about this game is how the characters were all fun and interesting. I originally expected liking Sol and the nasty Major the most ("you will introduce yourself as pathetic loser and sit back down" sdjfsadf), but I ended up liking Kika very much myself. I love prickly pampered princesses, and she was so cute! *_* I pity Blade for having to put up with Kika all the time, but they are so perfect together that it was weird not to have him tagging behind Kika. Jade's awkward jokes were equally adorable, and Iotor was so cool and composed that I'm a little butthurt by his lack of screentime in the second half of the game. T_T

The ending is disappointing because I feel like it explained nothing at all. The world is wonderfully fleshed out and the characters have such colourful personalities and histories that I just want to know their backstories! Jade and Iotor feel like the've gone on epic adventures before; Lenna must have gone through rough patches if she's lost the ability to trust in people; Sol's dislike for virus-born people seems to stem from something; Kika and Blade must also have gone way back and sdfjsf why aren't there more Hunters of A Really Bad Name adventures

Overall, the character art was all right, the backgrounds INCREDIBLE, the writing highly entertaining, and the music fitting. What's missing are, as people have mentioned, CGs and sounds. I hope that you'll get the chance to expand on the cast/story in the future, I've grown quite fond of them! *_*

Scarves

#33 Post by Scarves »

Waaah it hurts so good.
Faye is so cute, how could anyone bear to break her heart like that?? Lenna is such a tease argh!

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#34 Post by Didules »

I downloaded it without thinking and played to it a week later, I have to say this KN is amazing! It was so good that I had to finish it the same day and I do not have any regret! (Even though I really need to sleep now..)
I have to admit that I cried two or three times... :)
I like how different the characters are, it was interesting to see them interact with each other
Thank you so much for this game!

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#35 Post by KomiTsuku »

fioricca wrote:Was finally able to set aside some time to play it, and I have to say that it was a fun read! I've never played any yuri games before so I approached this with curiosity and caution, but I ended up enjoying it quite a lot. The dialogue/jokes were confusing at some parts, and the sprites were so static that it's hard to tell who's speaking at the moment; sometimes, not everyone involved in the scene were displayed on the screen, which threw me off. This stabilised towards the end, making things easier to follow.
I think there might be a few jokes in there that only I understand, and only when I've had too much to drink. The staticness of the game is one thing that has bugged me the most during development. Future IDHAS games will have multiple poses and better usage of on-screen movement.
What I love about this game is how the characters were all fun and interesting. I originally expected liking Sol and the nasty Major the most ("you will introduce yourself as pathetic loser and sit back down" sdjfsadf), but I ended up liking Kika very much myself. I love prickly pampered princesses, and she was so cute! *_* I pity Blade for having to put up with Kika all the time, but they are so perfect together that it was weird not to have him tagging behind Kika. Jade's awkward jokes were equally adorable, and Iotor was so cool and composed that I'm a little butthurt by his lack of screentime in the second half of the game. T_T
Kika is a very fun character for me because she's incredibly strong and determined... as long as she has people backing her up. Without Blade around, Kika is very out-of-place. Iotor didn't make much of a showing in the second act because he isn't the type to get involved in wacky romantic relationship adventures. Every time I thought about bringing him back in, I couldn't find a good place to do it. Expect to see more of him though.
The ending is disappointing because I feel like it explained nothing at all. The world is wonderfully fleshed out and the characters have such colourful personalities and histories that I just want to know their backstories! Jade and Iotor feel like the've gone on epic adventures before; Lenna must have gone through rough patches if she's lost the ability to trust in people; Sol's dislike for virus-born people seems to stem from something; Kika and Blade must also have gone way back and sdfjsf why aren't there more Hunters of A Really Bad Name adventures
That's a new reason for being disappointed in the ending. XD I bungled the ending rather hard, I admit. The good news is that I will be continuing to expand and continue with a few of those things you want to see and know about. Pretty much the only one that I didn't have planned out to be included in the next part were Jade and Iotor's very colorful pasts coming in.
Overall, the character art was all right, the backgrounds INCREDIBLE, the writing highly entertaining, and the music fitting. What's missing are, as people have mentioned, CGs and sounds. I hope that you'll get the chance to expand on the cast/story in the future, I've grown quite fond of them! *_*
Fear not, the story will continue on!
Didules wrote:I downloaded it without thinking and played to it a week later, I have to say this KN is amazing! It was so good that I had to finish it the same day and I do not have any regret! (Even though I really need to sleep now..)
I have to admit that I cried two or three times... :)
I like how different the characters are, it was interesting to see them interact with each other
Thank you so much for this game!
I'm glad you enjoyed it, though it makes sad that it made you cry. Don't worry the upcoming parts are going to be a bit happier.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Rising Angels: The Red Rose

#36 Post by KomiTsuku »

Hey, folks. For those of you who don't follow me on twitter, work has begun on a spin-off series. We've been listen to your comments and are working hard on ensuring that the next piece in this series is up to the standards you all deserve.

The story will have...
- A heart-wrenching drama from the depths of space
- 3 romancible routes (2 otome, a shoujo ai, and a friendship route) with a cast of interesting folks from around the galaxy
- Brand new characters (with multiple poses and sprite art done by Fioricca) and a few of our old friends
- Unique backgrounds and CG
- Several hours of adventure and excitement
- Priced at our usual rate of absolutely nothing

We understand that many of you were disappointed in RA: TRR, so we hope you will give us a chance as we continue to improve and polish our trade. Updates will be forthcoming as development continues to bloom.
Last edited by KomiTsuku on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

D'd'D
Regular
Completed: Memories
Projects: WoUC, Itsuki

#37 Post by D'd'D »

KomiTsuku wrote:Hey, folks. For those of you who don't follow me on twitter, work has begun on a spin-off series. We've been listen to your comments and are working hard on ensuring that the next piece in this series is up to the standards you all deserve.

The story will have...
- A heart-wrenching drama from the depths of space
- 3 romancible routes (2 otome, a shoujo ai, and a friendship route) with a cast of interesting folks from around the galaxy
- Brand new characters (with multiple poses and sprite art done by Fi) and a few of our old friends
- Unique backgrounds and CG
- Several hours of adventure and excitement
- Priced at our usual rate of absolutely nothing

We understand that many of you were disappointed in RA: TRR, so we hope you will give us a chance as we continue to improve and polish our trade. Updates will be forthcoming as development continues to bloom.
B-B-But.. but..
I'm never disappointed in RA: TRR xD
I'm waiting for it! Go go go!
My world lies inside of me.
There's a world inside of you, too.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#38 Post by Samu-kun »

So by the remake, are you referring to that one VN you said you were gonna make which took place on board a space ship, or is this a totally different thing?

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by KomiTsuku »

Samu-kun wrote:So by the remake, are you referring to that one VN you said you were gonna make which took place on board a space ship, or is this a totally different thing?
I have not had any contact with the writer for that, so this is something entirely different. I'm still hoping that story will come around, but this will be something entirely different.

beefypotatoes

#40 Post by beefypotatoes »

Just discovered this yesterday, thanks for the great VN! It's pretty uncommon to find a GxG oriented VN that actually has a compelling story. Loving the characters and relationships. I'm really look forward to its continuation.

A few thoughts I'd like to share that I had while playing the game:
- It was mentioned once already, but it can be hard to follow who's talking in the beggining. I think matching the name colors to hair colors closer would have helped. A few, like Kika, don't really match at all, although I get the impression her hair color changed at some point which would explain that. But even like Lenna or Yoi, I think darkening them up a bit to match closer would work nicely.

- Adorable protagonist, but we barely ever got see her :(. I'm assuming this was a style decision for the POV story telling, but I still would have liked to see her a little more often. Don't recall seeing her in uniform at all while playing (although I found the sprite for it in the game folder).

Anyway, great work!

PS Is there a particular spot to watch for updates on this, or is it being kept internal for now?

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#41 Post by KomiTsuku »

beefypotatoes wrote:Just discovered this yesterday, thanks for the great VN! It's pretty uncommon to find a GxG oriented VN that actually has a compelling story. Loving the characters and relationships. I'm really look forward to its continuation.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^_^
A few thoughts I'd like to share that I had while playing the game:
- It was mentioned once already, but it can be hard to follow who's talking in the beggining. I think matching the name colors to hair colors closer would have helped. A few, like Kika, don't really match at all, although I get the impression her hair color changed at some point which would explain that. But even like Lenna or Yoi, I think darkening them up a bit to match closer would work nicely.
When I was determining colors, I balanced out between two things. One, did color work on the textbox? Two, did the color match the character? There were a few characters that didn't really match up well. In the end, I decided to go with colors that would be easily read. Since I... shotgun'd the characters out in the beginning, I can see how it might have gotten confusing. A more spread out introduction is something I'm trying to do better in future works.
- Adorable protagonist, but we barely ever got see her :(. I'm assuming this was a style decision for the POV story telling, but I still would have liked to see her a little more often. Don't recall seeing her in uniform at all while playing (although I found the sprite for it in the game folder).
Faye's cuteness is the reason she got to be protagonist. The original protagonist was Lenna, since she's an established main character in the series this story is technically a part of. However, when the sprites came out, Faye bumped Lenna off. I would have liked to have shown her off more, but it was a style choice to remove the side-by sprites. I think it worked better in the long run, but it makes poor Faye lose a lot of screen time.
Anyway, great work!

PS Is there a particular spot to watch for updates on this, or is it being kept internal for now?
I'm rather bad about changing things during the early... mid... late development, so I've been keeping my mouth shut about development. I don't want to say things like "The next one will have unique spaceship backgrounds!" or "You can romance Sol in the next one, because everyone loves Sol!" no matter how true they may be because I might lose the artist or something may happen in my personal life where I won't be able to work on VNs and will have to cut things short.

That being said, I'm almost at the point where I feel comfortable making some public announcements soon. They will be posted on my website, on this thread, and then the new thread that will be created in the WIP forum. I will say now that the continuation of this storyline will be delayed. The next thing that will be coming out in the RA sub-series is a spin-off involving a Special Investigations and Tactics officer investigating a missing research team and a potential ancient menace. Several characters will be making a return. There is a planned GxG and a GxB route. All I can say is check here every now and then over the week.

beefypotatoes

#42 Post by beefypotatoes »

KomiTsuku wrote:When I was determining colors, I balanced out between two things. One, did color work on the textbox? Two, did the color match the character? There were a few characters that didn't really match up well. In the end, I decided to go with colors that would be easily read. Since I... shotgun'd the characters out in the beginning, I can see how it might have gotten confusing. A more spread out introduction is something I'm trying to do better in future works.
Oh, I hadn't really thought about how well the colors would work on the background, makes sense though. Thankfully it wasn't a big issue, didn't take too long before I knew all the characters... except the instructors. I could never keep them straight.
I'm rather bad about changing things during the early... mid... late development, so I've been keeping my mouth shut about development. I don't want to say things like "The next one will have unique spaceship backgrounds!" or "You can romance Sol in the next one, because everyone loves Sol!" no matter how true they may be because I might lose the artist or something may happen in my personal life where I won't be able to work on VNs and will have to cut things short.
We can romance Sol!? :lol: I totally understand.
That being said, I'm almost at the point where I feel comfortable making some public announcements soon. They will be posted on my website, on this thread, and then the new thread that will be created in the WIP forum. I will say now that the continuation of this storyline will be delayed. The next thing that will be coming out in the RA sub-series is a spin-off involving a Special Investigations and Tactics officer investigating a missing research team and a potential ancient menace. Several characters will be making a return. There is a planned GxG and a GxB route. All I can say is check here every now and then over the week.
I'll be sure to check it out.

buttdumpling
Regular
Projects: Dämmerung

#43 Post by buttdumpling »

I'm starting this now, it looks fun! The art is super polished uwu

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#44 Post by KomiTsuku »

And like I promised, the new WIP thread for the spin-off has just been posted. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=22502

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#45 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Finished playing, thought I'd post my comments/thoughts.

When this opened in wide-screen, I thought wow (haven't been playing VNs very long and this is the first I've played in that format). Visually stunning. The backgrounds are beautiful and the characters just gorgeous to look at (god I want to be able to colour like that).

The story engaged me from the get go. It was exciting to be with them in the academy, while they struggled to come up to scratch. I really enjoyed that part. I didn't enjoy it so much when the story just focussed down to Faye and her love interest. I read your read-me so I can understand why that happened, plus my favourite character was Maj Brumford and we never went back to that lovely long-pink-haired elf who had something going with Yoi's sister I believe.

But thank you very much. I enjoyed myself.