[Short] Eul

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
borisoda
Regular

[Short] Eul

#1 Post by borisoda »

Length: 3~5min or less
Keywords: South Korea, Bullying
Recommended Playing Age: PG-13 for mild violence

Please check the README.txt for credits

RESOURCE CREDITS
BACKGROUND ART
Ta Woo Goon
guttari nyanko

SOUND EFFECT
Spud
Diode111
Derka Derka

English is not my first language, so corrections via PMs are welcome!
Attachments
Eul-0.7-win.zip
(10.48 MiB) Downloaded 332 times
Eul-0.7-mac.zip
(8.61 MiB) Downloaded 170 times
sa.jpg
Last edited by borisoda on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Coreyrn
Completed: Submerged (Demo), The meadow

Re: [Short] Eul

#2 Post by Coreyrn »

It is a nice little story, the faceless characters give them a kind of menacing feel which works very good in this case.
The backgrounds are suitable except for one, the one for the protagonists home has a very low resolution which stands out amongst the other ones.

I had fun for the few minutes it lasted. :)

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#3 Post by pwisaguacate »

The facelessness, monochrome color, and omission of background music played well together. The good ending had a nice touch to it, and the English wasn't bad at all.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#4 Post by Ran08 »

I like it, even though it was pretty short. I would have liked it better if it was longer though...

But the ending kinda left me disappointed. I mean...
Even though he won't be tormented by that bully anymore... he'd still have to live the rest of his life, which is still a minimum of 50 years from now, knowing that he killed someone or at least, caused their death. *sigh* It's so sad. If only there was another way... :(

borisoda
Regular

#5 Post by borisoda »

@Coreyrn Thanks! Glad you had fun with the game! and yeah I couldn't find bgs for home that matched other ones well lol

@pwisaguacate Thank you for your feedback! Glad you understood my English fine, I appreciate it.

@Ran08 Thanks! I was suddenly motivated by NaNoRenO event that I kind of rushed this together this month lol
I guess I wanted some bitterness in ending, since I noticed many victims don't see proper justice happen in South Korea.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Ran08 »

roundmetal wrote:@Ran08 Thanks! I was suddenly motivated by NaNoRenO event that I kind of rushed this together this month lol
I guess I wanted some bitterness in ending, since I noticed many victims don't see proper justice happen in South Korea.
You're welcome! Yeah... I guess so. :) But I do hope you'll make another visual novel similar to this! Teehee. ^_^ Hmmm... that is acceptable. Hahaha. Reasonable enough. Still... I wish there was some sort of a happier ending too... :( Nevertheless, congratulations on this! :)
Last edited by Ran08 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

borisoda
Regular

#7 Post by borisoda »

@Ran08 Thank you! I am thinking of a brighter story for next one :D

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#8 Post by pwisaguacate »

Meanwhile, I was wondering about the prevalence of academic stress and/or bullying in certain countries. I mean, watching a Korean school movie (which I admit was kinda badass) and hearing about Japanese exam stress... you get what I mean?

I'm guessing this story may have been written from cultural context rather than strictly personal experience, right?

borisoda
Regular

#9 Post by borisoda »

@pwisaguacate Yes, it's a mix of both.
Academic stress is very high in South Korea as well, after regular school hours most kids will go to cram schools if their parents can afford it.
Anyway on that aspect, here's an interesting documentary film if you're interested.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Ran08 »

Dropping by again! :) Although I love the facelessness of the characters here... but ahhh, I saw your DA page and ohhh, I hope you make another visual novel really really soon! Your art is awesome. :") I was wondering... why didn't you draw for this? :o

borisoda
Regular

#11 Post by borisoda »

@Ran08 Thanks! I plan to use full colored sprites for my next project. :)
Initially I wanted to make the game sprites look deformed as much as possible to show main character's misery,
but then I thought it would be better to have just silhouettes instead. I kind of thought about adding a colored sprite during the epilogue scene though.

macuyo
Regular
Completed: Get Dumped
Projects: Soul Collector
Organization: Macuyo Production

#12 Post by macuyo »

Played this last week, but didn't get the chance the comment haha
It's great how everything (music, sprites, etc) contributed to the atmosphere of the story.
I like how you can almost physically feel how trapped the main character is under the bully. I think it's amazing to be able to create a story about bullying, where the player can feel that it's not that easy for a character to just to fight back and be strong about it.
Good job! ^^
BLOGS
Wordpress || Tumblr

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#13 Post by Cidz »

I really liked the monochrome, faceless characters, and lack of BGM it really made it more somber and serious. I liked at the end how you did include colored BGs which showed things got brighter for him.
I got both endings. One where he commited suicide, then another where he killed that bully. I was curious who that girl was at the end, I'm not familar with korean folklore, but you mentioned she was the messenger of death, so I got who she was at least. Even though he isn't bullied, he'll probably have to live with the memories of killing someone.
Overall I really liked it good job!