Left of Center [Comedy, Friendship, BxB/BxG, NaNo13]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Left of Center [Comedy, Friendship, BxB/BxG, NaNo13]

#1 Post by CheeryMoya »

Garrett Emmett is your a-bit-higher-than-average Sophomore in high school, but with his migraines only getting worse as he gets older, he decides to transfer to a "more organized and disciplined" private school. However, thanks to a mix-up in paper work, Garrett finds himself at Outré Academy, the wrong school, at the turn of the spring semester; it wouldn't be so bad if everyone wasn't half-crazy and bending the conventional rules left and right. But hey! At least things are exciting around here.
He takes a week to figure out whether he wants to stay at this school or not. A lot can happen during that time, you know.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Characters

Garrett Emmett, our protagonist. He has migraines that make it painful to be around crowds when it strikes so he's not a very social person by nature. He's prone to sarcasm and being doubtful about things, but he doesn't mean ill. Garrett's quite fond of retro and 8-bit inspired things though they're pretty bad when he has a migraine, making it a bit of a guilty pleasure. He's not very fond of the nickname "G-Force" for obvious reasons.

Pia Ortize is your textbook example of a Pollyanna, which happens to be her nickname. She believes the best in everyone and wants to help everyone achieve their maximum potential, so she's always out there to lend a helping hand. As an advocate for several causes, she walks around campus with a sign and talks to anyone who's curious, avoiding initiating an unwanted conversation since she knows those aren't effective. She's well liked among her circles.

Klaus Nikolayev is the self-designated class clown, and he's quite popular around campus. Even without having a nickname like "Santa," Klaus is generous and kind, willing to go the extra mile for his buddies. He's friendly, energetic, and easy to get along with, but don't talk shit or you'll get hit. Seriously. He lifts so you don't wanna mess with the stuff he cares about.

Rita Alindogan is a drummer in a school rock band named the Counting Cards. Although you wouldn't think she'd mind being called "Lovely Rita" around campus, she would rather you left the adjective out while addressing her. Cold, reserved, and cool, she probably has better things to do than talk to you.

Dr. James Han is Garrett's homeroom teacher, although that's Dr. "Jazz Hands" to you. A teacher first and psychologist second, he enjoys interacting with his students and is pretty chill. As his nickname implies, he enjoys listening to jazz in his free time.

Features
  • Select from several tracks to listen to during the game
  • 3 character routes
  • 3 CGs
  • Point-based, character-driven story
  • 2 endings (V 0.9)
  • 1280x720 Resolution
Credits
Writing/Story: CheeryMoya
Programmers: CheeryMoya, leon
BG art: Uncle Mugen, leon
Art: Nuge/fioricca and Elphie/fourthsquad (Storybeam)
Music: yan_g, _aa_, Zander Noriega, DeceasedSuperiorTechnician, Mr. Spastic, radlib, Jazz at Mladost Club, Snooch88
SFX: FreeSFX, Freesound
Idea Bouncing and Support: Mink
Special Thanks: Ginger, moondeertribe

Note: This is "Version 0.95" because it only fixes minor bugs. It is still a playable game though and contains most of the content. If you find more bugs, typos, etc. please tell us! Thank you!
Last edited by CheeryMoya on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

Re: Left of Center [Comedy, Friendship, BxB/BxG, NaNo13]

#2 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I am going to download it asap and search for the secret romance that doesn't exist yet. Wait...I'm not sure if I've thought this through.
Last edited by FatUnicornGames on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#3 Post by enta »

Been waiting for this :L *clicks the download as fast as the speedlight*

Will be back with my play report, ma'am!

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

Loving the art style and... Well, EVERYTHING. Definitely gonna play, that's what spring break is for after all!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

propanoll
Regular
Projects: Left of Center, Night at the Hospital, The Buried Moon, RA: Allegiance
Tumblr: propanoll
Deviantart: shotafied

#5 Post by propanoll »

/cries in shame

But wohoo, it's been completed! Congrats, guys!

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#6 Post by teacup »

I really really love the bold look of the art in this game, so I'll give it a shot. Congratulations on finishing, it looks very polished!

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by try10 »

Downloading now. :D

AkaMika
Completed: Summer Piano Lesson (NaNoReO2022)
Projects: Love Trap
Deviantart: AkaMikaa

#8 Post by AkaMika »

I LIKE !! (I laughed by seeing in troll face) >u<

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by CheeryMoya »

propanoll wrote:/cries in shame

But wohoo, it's been completed! Congrats, guys!
HEY THERE HI
I have no idea what's with you and Nuge about the art but considering you guys did it all in the last 2 weeks of NaNo, it's way more than I could ever ask for :'D PLUS IT'S REALLY PRETTY SO DON'T WORRY

@All: Thank you ;u; I got 5 hours of sleep last night and I still have to go to school today ahahahAHAH Please tell me if there's anything you aren't too fond of, like the songs I chose. Even though there's 3 songs you can play in each scene the genres don't lend themselves to VNs (or they're not common enough so it sounds awkward finally being in one). I don't mind going out and hunting for other tracks. And sorry for the dip in writing quality starting on Day 5, it was NaNo and the d-deadline...

The update (whatever number it'll be) should have:
  • Jazz Route???
  • More randomized events
  • Better writing orz
  • Character Epilogues (totally looking forward to... 16 Endings??? why this)
  • Japanese AU
  • Harem Ending
  • More???

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#10 Post by KittyKatStar »

Playing it now~ Congrats on the release. ^^

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#11 Post by Snow Blossom »

ERMAGERD SANTA YOU ADORABLE BABY LET ME HUG YOU *squees*

But, um, yeah. I really liked this game. The dialogue was light-hearted and humorous, and the art was easy on the eyes and fit the atmosphere - it turned out to be quite a polished piece of work, and I just loved the little references spread throughout the story.
CICADA BLOCK FTW
Also, troll face is brill. I have never been so pleased with a game before even clicking the start button.

eime-leen
Regular
Projects: I want to 'revive' my old projects one day...
Deviantart: eime-leen

#12 Post by eime-leen »

Wow! This game looks really interesting. I haven't even played it yet, but since I don't have time, I might as well wait for the update! I love the boldness of the sprites and the font. The style of the interface is simple but very eye-catching. It already looks like a fun game! I will definitely play this later. Congrats on the release! :D

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by CheeryMoya »

@KittyKatStar and Snow Blossom: Thank you for trying it! I'm hoping the update with new content will be enough to entice you to download it again when the time comes u_u

@eime-leen: Looks like there'll be an update patch sooner than I thought, a liveblogger friend caught some embarrassing bugs. This is why the download link up there is 0.9; it wasn't beta-tested before the deadline hit. We're working to find the bugs and fix any hiccups right now, we'll try to get fixed individual builds out ASAP.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#14 Post by KittyKatStar »

I only finished 2 routes, but I wanted to say I found it really cute. The humour was light-hearted, fun, and I enjoyed the interactions with all of the characters. ^^ Good job on getting this out!

And yes, I'll re-download it with the updated content. <3

Dangertyde
Regular
Projects: Anatidae

#15 Post by Dangertyde »

I just popped in to say this is perhaps now among my favorite visual novels. I had been eyeing this through the crazy NaNo month, and thought the ideas might be too good to be true, especially the bit with the music choice. Mahn, did I misjudge. Let it never be said that you can't accomplish so much in a month! The style is perfect, the dialogue is thoroughly enjoyable, and I have been laughing like a fool throughout. The moment I saw Garrett's room number was my favorite number, I instantly fell in love. The answer to life, universe and everything. Yup, I'm gonna end it on that note. Thanks so much to everyone who made this seriously fun game!

EDIT: I uhm, caught a few typos and bugs here and there while playing it. I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, eheh... If you want, I could try and describe where they are, but I don't want to be a bother if you're already in the process of fixing things. ^^"
Just gonna strategically place this over here...
Quack!
/CRASH
/hobbles away