re]de[flection [Anthology][NaNoRenO 2013][COMPLETE]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
nickgreen
Completed: re]de[flection
Projects: HERO, The Residuals
Organization: Sasuga Studios

re]de[flection [Anthology][NaNoRenO 2013][COMPLETE]

#1 Post by nickgreen »

mise en abyme. French.
placed into abyss. English.
A description of the experience of placing oneself between two mirrors and seeing the infinite replication. When used in the context of literary theory, however, refers to a type of frame story in which themes within the core narratives illuminate some aspect of the greater whole.

re]de[flection contains four short stories tied together through a frame story. They are unrelated in content but connected by thematic elements.

The game will ask much of the you, the reader, yet place you in a position where you be unable to act. In order to enter into the experience you will offer up some part of yourself as collateral. This tribute will, at first, be unknown to you. Progressing through the stories will reveal what is was that was sacrificed. In order to retrieve this collateral, you must come to comprehend what was lost. You will not be able to exit until you understand. The answer is one word.
SYSTEM
~20,000 words
1280x720
150 MB
31 BGM tracks <- the reason it's large
Full Foley audio channel <- one reason it's late
4 days late (I'm so so so so sorry, щ( ̄Д ̄щ) late is better than unfinished, right?)
Rated [T] for a few scary, suggestive, or stomach-turning moments

DOWNLOAD( v0.8 )
re]de[flection for Windows
re]de[flection for Macintosh
re]de[flection for Linux

For best results, keep the audio channels relative to one another (i.e. lower/raise all by same amount)

Once you finish playing, I have a short survey about your experience. It will help me when making future VNs. I would be eternally grateful for your feedback.
re]de[flection Feedback Survey

Enjoy the ride!

Einara
Regular

Re: re]de[flection [Anthology][NaNoRenO 2013][COMPLETE]

#2 Post by Einara »

First of all, congratulations on creating this piece. I thoroughly enjoyed it. What I liked the most, personally, was visiting vastly different worlds in such a short period of time. My favorite story was the one about distant future - it had a relaxed yet somber feel to it. The world itself felt as if everything has been said and done and everyone is just peacefully waiting for a finale. My least favorite story was about space pirates. While the idea itself was pretty interesting, there was just way too much reading about details involved, a case of too much telling and too little showing. The final animation could've been better if the sprite had legs or maybe the animation could've been omitted completely and instead replaced with text and description of what's going on. Also, the text needs to be edited at some places since quite a lot of spelling mistakes have slipped through the cracks, however I can understand that the deadline was limited so polish was not something to be expected.

In general, I think this is a very original work and I'd love to experience something like this again!

nickgreen

#3 Post by nickgreen »

Thanks for playing. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wanted to use NaNo to experiment with a bunch of different things to discover what things work and what things don't. Seeing what content and narrative styles resonate with players will help me with making my longer projects. That's my reasoning behind the structure of re]de[flection.

Chibichann
Regular

#4 Post by Chibichann »

This game was fun,having red many stories in a collection of one,but i have to admit the writing in the first story was simple as your collection of stories progressed your writing improved so had the length.

nickgreen

#5 Post by nickgreen »

I'm glad you had fun reading a collection of short stories. Each was written in a different style and I have experience in some more than others. I wish I had more time so I could have properly edited my writing; everything presented is in first draft form. I hope to release an enhanced version in the future.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#6 Post by Ran08 »

Playing it right now. :) It sounds really interesting. And I love the intro. Hahaha.

nickgreen

#7 Post by nickgreen »

Some (at least 1) people have reported that trying to take a screenshot crashes the game. How many people does this happen to? It doesn't happen on my machine so I'm having trouble diagnosing the cause.

AxemRed
Veteran

#8 Post by AxemRed »

Code: Select all

Exception: String u'Saved screenshot as C:\\OELVN\\re]de[flection-win\\screenshot0001.png.' ends with an open format operation.
Seems like the bracket in the folder name kills it.

nickgreen

#9 Post by nickgreen »

Curse my affection for oddly placed punctuation. I'll add that to the top of the fix list for an updated version. Thanks for the help.

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#10 Post by pickle131 »

This looks really interesting! I'll have to remember to give it a try if I have a chance.

buttdumpling
Regular
Projects: Dämmerung

#11 Post by buttdumpling »

is the character in the first screenshot a play on the happy mask salesman from majora's mask? :3