Witch/Knight [Fantasy] [Nano 2013]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Skarn
Regular

Re: Witch/Knight [Fantasy] [Nano 2013]

#31 Post by Skarn »

Really cool game. I am a little sad there is no "perfect" ending, even if it is logical from a dramatic point of view. Love how the characters are original, to say the least (Half-goblin sexy girl? You win).

Minor bug : the extra menu is not working in the Linux version. After checking the source code, the corresponding line it is actually commented.

trish_vc
Regular
Projects: SC; Lost Memories (on hold)
Deviantart: ash-chiori

#32 Post by trish_vc »

this one is different form the typical games i've tried.. different in a good way :D
the ending where the protagonist ended up with Xiao xiao was the best
i think the idea was fresh and unique.. i was looking for more, but i was somewhat satisfied in the end.
i like it! I, thank you for your hard work!
http://www.facebook.com/aeisha.valenzuelacorporal
Image I'm an Unappreciated- ARTIST, WRITER, EDITOR, DEBATER.. You can ask me to Proofread, Draw, and whatever.*

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#33 Post by trooper6 »

Hi! I wanted to download this...but I get a 404, page doesn't exist error for the Mac link. Help?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

cladinpink
Regular

#34 Post by cladinpink »

It gives an 404 error for all download links :(

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#35 Post by Mink »

...Weird. Well, until I can fix that, here's a mirror:
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#36 Post by Mink »

Oops, double-posting. >_> Normal downloads should be working now!

*Website, yo*

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#37 Post by trooper6 »

Thanks a lot! I found you through The Elevator. I played that, really loved the art style and story...and decided to see what Cyanide Tea was up to at the moment...and that is where I saw info on Witch/Knight...and that info looks really fab. Which has led me to you...and now I'm downloading a Night at the Hospital.

I'm excited to play them!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

deviltales
Regular

#38 Post by deviltales »

Love it. I got really bumped up when I found out that
the main character is actually Elisa, not Bethlyn.. nice twist here :lol:
Anyway. Awesome characters, funny dialogues and interesting story. Quite unique, I'd dare to say.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Ota

#39 Post by Ota »

This game is both hilarious and sad, and I like all the character, especially Xiǎoniǎo. The trials are very cool. Thank you for giving me a good time playing it :3

Giovedi
Regular

#40 Post by Giovedi »

Let's see...

Overall, I enjoyed it. The art is great (holy backgrounds, Batman!), the OST is great, the GUI is particularly cool and the resolution was unique but easy to navigate. I was confused as to why mouse clicks didn't work, but I figured it out in the end.

I'm no proper game reviewer, but I'll give you what I can.

--- THE WRITING
-- THE DIALOGUE

Honestly, it was a little hit and miss.

Don't get me wrong: t'was well-written for a script produced under time pressure, but I found the variation in character voices a little bit lacking. Everyone seemed to share the same snarky attitude. It was funny for awhile, but lost impact with repetition. About a quarter-way through the game I'd begun to appreciate those rare moments of gravity twice as much as the banter.

That said! The sextuplets(?) had my favourite lines, thanks to their more starkly distinct personalities. Each sibling had their own brand of charm that rarely felt out of place. Birdy, Beth and her lovely goblin lover occasionally read as if they themselves meant to be funny. The sextuplets didn't, and that won them my favour.

I enjoyed the more serious conversations between Birdy and Beth. I wish there'd been more of those! Sometimes I felt like the characters couldn't decide whether they were being serious or not. I found it difficult to immerse myself in the story with the tone fluctuating so much.

The characters are original and charming. I just think we'd have had more opportunities to appreciate their idiosyncrasies if more of the script had been devoted to character development/backstory than snarky exchanges.

-- THE NARRATION

No real qualms here. The fact that everyone rolls their eyes so often did jar me, though. The occasional reference to real-world media distracted me as well. Nice and crisp overall!

-- THE PLOT

Good stuff. You pull off the 'quest to save a loved one' plotline well! I enjoyed the endings and the circumstances surrounding them. However, I feel like the game's inconsistent tone diminished its impact for me.

The plot's ace, but its execution left me emotionally confused. I suspect it's supposed to be a dramedy, but sarcastic humour tends to fall flatter each time it's employed. I would have been more affected if I wasn't constantly jerked out of immersion by the banter. Great story though -- I played it several times to nab all the endings.

-- GAME MECHANICS

Ace. Nothing to dislike here.

-- CONCLUSION

While it might seem like I found the game unfunny altogether, that is not the case! I enjoyed the character-based humour quite a lot. Birdy constantly tripping on his robes, Beth's lady-friend being ADD, the final sextuplet making a crack about lesbianism... All very entertaining, and they did manage to get legitimate snorts out of me.

Y'all are good writers. I'd like to see you tackle a straight-up fantasy drama sometime, or another dramedy with less in the way of sarcastic humour. Original concepts and characters like this deserve more time to shine for who and what they are without being washed out by the game's intended tone.

Cheers!

MarSel

#41 Post by MarSel »

Hi I was wondering if you are going to put up a guide soon? Stuck on the last ending.

I loved the game! The characters were great and the story was very touching. A+ from me :D

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#42 Post by Mink »

If you're wondering why I haven't responded to everyone, it's because I'm really lazy, but I have read them. >_>; Thanks to everyone who took the time to playreview, though. >w<

As for the endings:
  • To get the True Ending: only ever be nice to/concerned about/side with Xiao.
  • To get the Alone Ending: don't be perfectly nice to Xiao, but your niceness should outdo any not so nice choices.
  • To get the Trade Ending: be equally nice/apathetic towards Xiao. Ex., if you pick a nice choice, make the next one a not nice one, then pick a nice one, etc.
  • To get the Rebirth Ending: never be nice to or concerned about Xiao.
Hopefully that helps, unless you need a more thorough one.

*Website, yo*

MarSel

#43 Post by MarSel »

Hey sorry I forgot to check this. I'm still having a little trouble getting the last one. sorry to be a pain.
I have gotten the True ending I believe Beth leave with Xiao.
I have the Rebirth ending.
The other ending I have is Trade I think "Eliza" is reborn and "Beth" takes her place.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#44 Post by Mink »

The last one is the "Alone" ending, and to do that more specifically:
The "Good" options are:
  • "Thank you."
  • "Are you sure?"
  • "Uh, you alright?"
  • "Lay off him."
  • "-Protect Xiǎo-"
  • ">Smile"

The "Bad" options are:
  • "I guess I don't really have a choice."
  • "...Nothing."
  • "I told you about those clothes.":
  • "Xiao, calm down."
  • "-Attack Sì-"
  • ">Frown"
The easiest way to get the Alone ending is if you pick 5 "good" choices, and 1 "bad" one (or like 4 good, 2 bad). It can be any, but scenes/dialogue may vary. Basically, the number of good ones should outweigh the bad, but not be perfect.

*Website, yo*

MarSel

#45 Post by MarSel »

Thank you Mink I finally got the alone ending and I thought it was quite a fitting ending really.
Thank you for helping me.
Great Game! Quite sad though really.