What Happens When Curiosity Strikes (BXG) [Rom,Com(?)]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
thedarkdefender
Regular
Projects: TBTR
Organization: Clockwork Cafe

What Happens When Curiosity Strikes (BXG) [Rom,Com(?)]

#1 Post by thedarkdefender »

You'll play as Lee, the boy who accidentally stepped on his big brother's new gaming console. Just like a direct blessing from the heavens above, Clay offers him a deal that might save his butt from being kicked by his brother.
Screenshots:

Features:

- 6, 000 + words
- 3 endings (True, Friendship, Joke)
- Lame Jokes

DOWNLOAD HERE: New Version http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xeqjddd24x4o7kh
Credits to:
- skimline(DeviantArt), YonYonYon (Sprites)
- CosmicKitty, Studio Mugenjohncel (BG's)
- Incompetech (BG Music)
- SoundJay, SoundBible (SFX)
Last edited by thedarkdefender on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: What Happens When Curiosity Strikes (BXG) [Rom,Com(?)]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Downloaded this. It will be a while before I can provide detailed feedback, but I'll make sure to follow up.

thedarkdefender
Regular

#3 Post by thedarkdefender »

Thank you :)

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#4 Post by Kato »

Downloading! :D Will edit with feedback.

Edit: True Ending!

I jotted down initial impressions and whatnot in a notepad as I was playing but I'll just throw up a few of them (but I'll write them as I scribbled them down since I find the lack of context pretty amusing :p haha. (spoilered as to not spoil it for others)
1. Dat glorious size changing window.
2. Dialogue box seems to bright and pastie, transparency would go well here.
3. Name in the dialogue box too low, would look much better on the top line.
4. Oh cool, time limit!
5. Jumpy sprites! Ahhh!
6. I wanna play highway fighter!
7. Going to Clay's results in crash.
And some context
1. I run an unusual variety of resolution on my monitors and am consistently screen shifting. I noticed that the window wasn't locked first up, +1 Kato point! :D
2. Pretty self explanatory! It seems too intrusive, taking up so much space yet still being 100% opaque.
3. It seemed odd how the name wasn't on the top line of the dialogue box, yet when Lee was using internal monologue the text started on that same second line.
4. Thought there was going to be a time limit so one could gauge just how far through the game one is. Was a little let down that stating his brother would be back soon and the use of day quotations did not lead to this.
5. Happens with all the sprites but was evident with Rosa. When the sprite changes pose, due to the lack of transition, it's evident that they aren't lined up 100%. It wasn't so bad for Clay where her poses changed drastically but when Rosa's poses changed which were really just facial expressions and maybe arms (I can't honestly remember) her hips and legs, although not changing, jumped a few pixels to the right. If it were a longer game, it would have drove me insane, not so much for a shorter on like this though :p
6. The sudden music change into that awesome song made me giggle, A CG or two wouldn't have gone astray here to prolong this scene (since it's also when Clay's personality changes, seemingly.)
7. Lastly, and error in the script. Choosing to go to Clay's house for her birthday resulted in an error stating alien_ending wasn't defined. Since it was possible to skip over it I assume it was just an image or?...
Anyway! Besides a few cosmetic stuff it was pretty fun. I would like to have seen more indepth character development and, as a result, a longer game but for a nice chilled out way to spend some time on a Wednesday night it did a good job! Writing was comfortable to follow, things just moved a little too quick XD
4 days from hate to love?
Boy, that escalated quickly! All in all though, good job! I'll try take the other routes sometime (I was really sure I had the bad ending right up until the end, haha).

EDITEDIT: Props on being the first BxG game I've seen here in a while. Bringing it back baby! :D hehehe
Last edited by Kato on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Chibichann
Regular

#5 Post by Chibichann »

:D will download and comment later

thedarkdefender
Regular

#6 Post by thedarkdefender »

Kato wrote:Downloading! :D Will edit with feedback.

Edit: True Ending!

I jotted down initial impressions and whatnot in a notepad as I was playing but I'll just throw up a few of them (but I'll write them as I scribbled them down since I find the lack of context pretty amusing :p haha. (spoilered as to not spoil it for others)
1. Dat glorious size changing window.
2. Dialogue box seems to bright and pastie, transparency would go well here.
3. Name in the dialogue box too low, would look much better on the top line.
4. Oh cool, time limit!
5. Jumpy sprites! Ahhh!
6. I wanna play highway fighter!
7. Going to Clay's results in crash.
And some context
1. I run an unusual variety of resolution on my monitors and am consistently screen shifting. I noticed that the window wasn't locked first up, +1 Kato point! :D
2. Pretty self explanatory! It seems too intrusive, taking up so much space yet still being 100% opaque.
3. It seemed odd how the name wasn't on the top line of the dialogue box, yet when Lee was using internal monologue the text started on that same second line.
4. Thought there was going to be a time limit so one could gauge just how far through the game one is. Was a little let down that stating his brother would be back soon and the use of day quotations did not lead to this.
5. Happens with all the sprites but was evident with Rosa. When the sprite changes pose, due to the lack of transition, it's evident that they aren't lined up 100%. It wasn't so bad for Clay where her poses changed drastically but when Rosa's poses changed which were really just facial expressions and maybe arms (I can't honestly remember) her hips and legs, although not changing, jumped a few pixels to the right. If it were a longer game, it would have drove me insane, not so much for a shorter on like this though :p
6. The sudden music change into that awesome song made me giggle, A CG or two wouldn't have gone astray here to prolong this scene (since it's also when Clay's personality changes, seemingly.)
7. Lastly, and error in the script. Choosing to go to Clay's house for her birthday resulted in an error stating alien_ending wasn't defined. Since it was possible to skip over it I assume it was just an image or?...
Anyway! Besides a few cosmetic stuff it was pretty fun. I would like to have seen more indepth character development and, as a result, a longer game but for a nice chilled out way to spend some time on a Wednesday night it did a good job! Writing was comfortable to follow, things just moved a little too quick XD
4 days from hate to love?
Boy, that escalated quickly! All in all though, good job! I'll try take the other routes sometime (I was really sure I had the bad ending right up until the end, haha).

EDITEDIT: Props on being the first BxG game I've seen here in a while. Bringing it back baby! :D hehehe
Thank you for your insights! I really wanted to put on some CG's, but since I only got the sprites from free resources and I've got no tablet.... uhm yeah
Yeah, that really escalated quickly haha, but this is only a practice game, and I didn't want it to be longer than a week. :lol:
I will go fix 'em issues right away! Again, this is really helpful, so thank you!

Victoria
Regular
Projects: The Lady Minus Y

#7 Post by Victoria »

Erm, it says it's an invalid or a deleted file, which is weird because you posted it today... =S
Click here for a cross-dressing Otome!

thedarkdefender
Regular

#8 Post by thedarkdefender »

Victoria wrote:Erm, it says it's an invalid or a deleted file, which is weird because you posted it today... =S
Oh sorry about that, I'm currently uploading the fixed version, since the last one had an error.
It'll be up in a few minutes. Sorry for the inconvenience :oops:

thedarkdefender
Regular

#9 Post by thedarkdefender »

Hey guys! Sorry for the inconvenience, but here's a new and improved (lol) version of WHWCS :
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xeqjddd24x4o7kh

- Fixed the error
- Some small, but noticeable(i guess) changes
- If you already downloaded the old one, please immediately erase it from your life, and download this one.

Victoria
Regular
Projects: The Lady Minus Y

#10 Post by Victoria »

Ah, it's okay, I played it now. It was really cute and nicely made for something done so quickly (and especially if it's what you called it "a test game"). Looking forward to more projects from you!
And it really made me confused when it was written "True ending", I was like "Whaaaaaaat?", hahah, nicely played!
Click here for a cross-dressing Otome!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by philip »

Wow, a very nice little game! Enjoyed it so much that I was disappointed when it was over - wished there was MORE of it! Good job.
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Chibichann
Regular

#12 Post by Chibichann »

the programming was nice but i did not get specifically :oops:
what was the research about she was trying to try with lee,was it to understand human feelings?

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#13 Post by Kato »

Chibichann wrote:
what was the research about she was trying to try with lee,was it to understand human feelings?
I gathered it was
her seeing his (and to an extent a 'normal persons') reactions when introduced to certain situations. Though it ended up seemingly like it was all her way of wanting to spend time with Lee being the sly devil Clay is ;) haha
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by gekiganwing »

With version 1.0, I got a Ren'py error screen after choosing "Go." I downloaded version 1.1, and it corrected this error. Thanks. Because of this, I have now seen all three endings.
* I like the distorted-looking backgrounds, especially the heavy black lines. Though they might be more fitting for a horror story.
* Why the incidental Harry Potter references ("sending off to Azkaban")?
* The joke ending seems, well, random.

thedarkdefender
Regular

#15 Post by thedarkdefender »

@ Victoria and philip - Thank you thank you *cries tears of joy*

@ gekiganwing - I was watching HP while doing that part, and I just love HP. So yeah :blush: