The Room [short,experimental] (Ludum Dare 26)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
dragonee

The Room [short,experimental] (Ludum Dare 26)

#1 Post by dragonee »

My very first game, first Ren'Py game, and an entry to the Ludum Dare #26 contest.

From the contest entry: What would you do closed in a room with the only other things being your bed, a mirror and a computer display that does not work? The Room will let you explore this strange world in a little thought experiment.

All the content have been created in 48 hours, which is impressive, at least for me. I've never imagined before this could be possible. :)
The story is about 1700 words long which amounts to about15 minutes of gameplay. There are four branches, so it would be good to save in the critical moment if you want to see them all.

One important thing is I would consider reading it slowly and with headphones on to get the atmosphere.

I would love to hear your feedback, especially a lot of criticism would be useful to me. Also if you feel the mood, there is a short survey and the making of article about the game.
Last edited by dragonee on Wed May 01, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yukoneko

Re: The Room [short,experimental] (Ludum Dare 26)

#2 Post by yukoneko »

The story itself was very interesting, I'm surprised at myself for enjoying the trapped feeling lol. I like your BG, it really shows what is needed to see. Did you say you make it in short 2 days? That is impressive.

dragonee

#3 Post by dragonee »

Thanks, yukoneko, for your appreciation. Would you mind doing a short survey for me? http://michalmoroz.com/the-room :)

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#4 Post by Haze »

Overall, this was a very nice game. The fact that it was made in 2 days makes it even more impressive. The thing I didn't like is that
the ending you got appeared to be based on a single choice. I'd have liked it better if, say, the order you searched around the room affecting the ending in some way or something, but it was just based on a single choice.
However, since you were pressed for time (this is Ludum Dare, after all), I can understand why you did this.

Beside this, I thought this game was pretty good. Nice work!
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

dragonee

#5 Post by dragonee »

Thanks, Haze. I also would like to make the decision more blurry, but due to the length and pacing of this game I was unable to do so. I would love to concentrate on what was going on in the mind of the protagonist and to change the story according to a players feelings, not choices, however it's hard. :)