Ex Astris 01 [GxB][Light Sci-fi/Supernatural]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Cera L. Hendry
Regular
Completed: Ex Astris 1-9 & Rules They Abide By
Deviantart: cera-l-hendry

Re: Ex Astris [GxB][Light Sci-fi/Supernatural]

#16 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

pwisaguacate > You really REALLY want to read the old version? XD Luckily I still have it up on DeviantART: http://cera-l-hendry.deviantart.com/art ... -286049993
(Cringes at artwork) Still... I guess it's not as dated at the original manga version I started illustrating from many years ago ^^; This story has been kicking around with me for far too long...

Aisserium

#17 Post by Aisserium »

Wow

I just played it and... I love it. I like how the characters are, hoy realistic they seem, and everything. Every time I read a book or something with a "new world" I think that it will be difficult to know the countries, and who is the enemy of who... things like that, but in Ex Astris is well explained.

It's interesting, and I enjoyed it. I will wait to read the next chapter.

Ah, one thing (maybe you already said it), will you release the second chapter next, or all the game together?
Every child in Valoran...

bunnyhug

#18 Post by bunnyhug »

I've never played LINEAR, so I'm not able to draw any comparisons, but!! WOW!!!!!! There were so many things I loved about this VN I don't even know where to begin!!!!!

I LOVED Lanis!! What a refreshing main character! She's so assertive and unique, but also playful and charming. It was an absolute delight to experience the world through her perspective – great work investing the reader in such a strong and confident female lead!! ;v;

One of my absolute favourite parts of this story was the communication between Lanis and Zarah at the start of the VN – it was really refreshing to see the relationship between the main character and their family exhibited within the story itself!! Too often, it seems like the MC's family is completely disregarded in favour of the progression of the story, but the way you used Lanis and Zarah's relationship to exhibit their personalities and begin building up Lanis' personality was really wonderful. It was so casual and fun and REAL and I very much enjoyed reading their conversation! nvn Excellent character development, and a really sweet way to open the story.

I really love the treatment of psychic powers in this story – the government's desire to closely control and monitor them is really realistic and a nice departure from the usual tropes surrounding the subject. It's easy to see there was a lot of research and thought put into the system by which things are run, and it's wonderful! It's so nice to experience such a strictly defined system, free of nagging loopholes or glaring inaccuracies. It's really refreshing, and I commend your hard work! *o* Also, I really appreciated the map that was shown partway into the story, too! nvn Seeing the exact way Loenn, E'Sehet, Xian, etc. are layed out in regards to each other makes picturing the geography significantly easier, and allowed me to focus on the story (the wonderful story!!! ;u;) instead of trying to picture this map without any outside assistance.

I'm not usually a fan of sound effects being used in visual novels, but I found them to really add to the immersion, here! I'm so glad they were used. I particularly loved the SE used for the vehicle elevator in the military base. It added a lot to the atmosphere of the environment, and I commend you for your wonderful choice in sounds!!

Additionally, I'm a big fan of the way Lanis' full sprite was shown on-screen. Not that I'm not a fan of side-image sprites, it's just that it really allowed me to get a good feel for her mannerisms and style, and it really helped with the way the reader was placed in the story - more of a bystander than a surrogate for Lanis. I liked that a lot!
The scene with the visions from Ash was done so well!! You really captured the disorientation Lanis felt extremely accurately. It was confusing and mystifying and shjfkl I can't even gather together the words to describe how much I loved it! Really really well done.
The ending of the chapter left me with so many questions but also with so much anticipation!!! *-* I can't begin to explain how excited I am for the next chapter! Absolutely amazing work! You are a really talented storyteller, and an amazing artist! The story and graphics complimented each other so well and created such a thoroughly compelling VN <33 Thank you for this wonderful work! I eagerly await your next release!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by philip »

@pwisaguacate: CERA posted in the "Linear" thread, the following:

Well considering it was exported as an .swf, the only downloadable version I can offer you that self-contained .swf file on DeviantART.

http://cera-studios.deviantart.com/gall ... 9#/d4qb1l5
You'll see the Download File link to the right? You'll need a basic Flash player to play the file outside a browser window though.

So feel free to save it to your computer but if you extend the window beyond it's 800 x 600 constraints you might see some 'off-stage' stuff ^^; I should mask that all out in later releases if more people are going to download the raw SWF.

So you can get a flash version of it there.
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#20 Post by pwisaguacate »

Well, the read was enjoyed; I will be waiting for the next chapter.

@phillip: I know how to deal with it; thanks though.

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#21 Post by Rainbow Colors »

Just played it, and I can't wait for the next chapter to come out >u>

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

frederic09
Regular
Projects: La Valse des Saisons (The Season's dance) - 0.03% done

#22 Post by frederic09 »

Cera L. Hendry wrote:frederic09 > It's nice to hear you liked the old artwork. XD Believe me, it was a HARD decision to allow Lanis to lose the glasses. They were so iconic for her. But I thought, in an era where they're producing artificial humans... would people REALLY still wear glasses? We already have decent laser eye surgery today... I'm thinking about it too much aren't I? Yes I am... I really need to stop listening to my 'unfun logic'. This is a world of fantasy after all. XD
Who knows? Even if the technology can do laser surgery, there still can be people who could wear glasses "for the fun".

Because, you know, there are people buying lenses just to change their eye's color, so it might be the same too in the game; but for the the glasses :P

And even if you says she was iconic, she had a scientific "wibe" with her glasses, specially when she was wearing the lab coat x) It really looks like she was made for that job. At least it's what i think ^_^
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

My first VN project : The Season's Dance (the title might change). More info soon.

effenelle
Regular
Projects: Un:Wanted [GxB]
Deviantart: effenelle

#23 Post by effenelle »

just asking, Xian and E'Sehet look a lot like Malaysia. Was it intentional? I'm from Malaysia, btw. :)
Un:Wanted (GxB)
A game made from free resources found in LemmaSoft's Creative Commons!
\(^▽^)/
Thanks everyone!

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#24 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

@effenelle The likeliness to Malaysia is technically unintentional but I was pulling my inspiration for the island layouts and map from that region. So well caught! ;)

mklinsao

#25 Post by mklinsao »

Oh! I remember playing Linear Vol. 1 ages ago and wondering what had happened to it. Gonna play this!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#26 Post by distorsion »

Such a good game! The art, the characters, the worldbuilding and of course the story are really well done. I can't wait for the next part, and I'm sure once I've played it I won't be able to wait for the one after it!
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Mamihlapinatapai

#27 Post by Mamihlapinatapai »

AH! Now I remember why this looked so familiar! Linear used to be a webcomic a long time ago wasn't it?!
:mrgreen: I'm glad you're turning your comic into vn form, I loved it a lot!

The story is different and I remember Ash as being more of a jerk ( :lol: ) but it's still really good.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You don't know how happy this makes me~~

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#28 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

@Mamihlapinatapai ~ Oh wow! You really are a fan from a long way back! :D Yes, it is Linear in its newest form. It's only been... how many years? Too many! I try not to think about it.

I think Ash has probably changed the most, his character is pretty complex in this version. (I struggle with him) Although don't pass him off as a 'nice' guy just yet. XD

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#29 Post by Lesleigh63 »

This had a very polished feel to it. I commend you for not rushing it and getting everything spot on. Very nice writing and I liked the pacing. I like the artwork using a blend of the sprites and CG to help 'pinpoint' the story. Sorry when it ended - will definitely look out for Chapter 2. Ash is a very interesting character.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#30 Post by trooper6 »

Just finished this. I was hoping for a bit more meaningful player choice...but that really is the only nit pick I have.

The story is very interesting, the first chapter compelling, I love the Britishisms in the language. The world clearly had a lot of thought put into it, and I really appreciate that. The cultures have a feel of being real, and I really like all the characters we met. This is really well done and I'm looking forward to the next installment!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978