Ex Astris 01 [GxB][Light Sci-fi/Supernatural]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Cera L. Hendry
Regular
Completed: Ex Astris 1-9 & Rules They Abide By
Deviantart: cera-l-hendry

Ex Astris 01 [GxB][Light Sci-fi/Supernatural]

#1 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Ex Astris
Chapter 01

Set in a ‘near-future’ on a fictional world, Ex Astris follows the story of Lanis Rosenberg, a newly graduated doctor working in the Loennian military. Doubtful of her abilities to cope in the army and lost with her direction in life, Lanis’ world is suddenly turned upside-down when she is transferred to the secretive, militaristic nation of Xian. There, she is assigned to a subject named A-28 'Ash'. An emotionless, unstable, biologically engineered soldier and her opposite in every way…

*This project was formerly know as the Flash-based VN: 'LINEAR - Divine Seer'

Format: Episodic Visual Novel
Engine: RenPy
Genre: Light Sci-Fi / Drama / GxB / Supernatural
Platform: PC/Mac
Duration: Short
Project info & download files:
http://www.cerastudios.com/ex-astris
Last edited by Cera L. Hendry on Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Kyuun

Re: Ex Astris

#2 Post by Kyuun »

Looks interesting! I'm downloading it now, haha. The art looks really great, and the story seems interesting, so I'm excited to play it!

EDIT: So I just played it.

And wow.

The story, the characters... they're all super intriguing and you ended it right when I started to really get into the world. I was honestly wondering, with the way you had it set up and the explanations of the different countries and the problems etc, how you'd end this chapter but you ended it perfectly. I really want to know what happens next and how it happens.
I absolutely LOVED the way Lanis' premonition came when she touched Ash's hand... and especially when she was contemplating over it when she got back to her room. And how the 'daughter' bomb was dropped. That means they did the do~ -shot-.
I honestly can't wait for Chapter 2. It looks as if you can do a lot with this universe/characters, so I'm really looking forward to a continuation!

EDITx2: Oh, and it worked perfectly for me.
Last edited by Kyuun on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
And he added, perhaps a little sadly, "Straight ahead, you can't go very far." - The Little Prince

Mimi_Melody
Veteran

Re: Ex Astris [GxB][Light Sci-fi/Supernatural]

#3 Post by Mimi_Melody »

Wow, I'm glad to see it's out! :D I've tried LINEAR and I'd be soooo sad if you drop/abandon it. Glad to see it here! Giving Renpy a try can be really good~
Downloading now!

aya001
Regular

#4 Post by aya001 »

Played it and it awesome, the characters, the story. I can't wait to get my hands in episode 2!!!!!

About the odd issues, I played it 'til the end without any problem.

Good word, and keep the chapters coming!!!! ^^

KiYa

#5 Post by KiYa »

*Now Downloading* xDD
Can't wait to try this out~ OMG! I've been waiting for this moment for a looooong time~!
Good work on releasing the first chapter! xD
*Too busy playing PSP to make a signature*

Pixelen

#6 Post by Pixelen »

Ah, it was awesome, I was so disappointed when it finished! Please update with the next chapter ASAP!

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#7 Post by merdeamour »

Whoa, sounds great! I won't be able to play it until the semester break, though T_T
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

frederic09
Regular
Projects: La Valse des Saisons (The Season's dance) - 0.03% done

#8 Post by frederic09 »

Hi,

I played the flash version of your project and just now your RenPY version of the game, and i prefer the "original/first" artwork for your characters.

Lanis is sooo cute with her lipstick and glasses :)
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

My first VN project : The Season's Dance (the title might change). More info soon.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by philip »

Well, looks like you made the transition from flash to Ren'Py just fine! I had previously played through Linear, and just finished downloading Ex Astris and going through it once, with no problems. I did notice that the two versions are not exactly the same; in any event, I like both of them! Ready for chapter 2!!!
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

SakanaTonic
Projects: (Re)writing Memories

#10 Post by SakanaTonic »

Well, I haven't actually seen LINEAR, so I won't be able to draw any comparisons, haha. Other than that, I'd just like to say wow??? As in wow, this is really great?? It's definitely the most work I've seen put into something in a while, with only one chapter so far too. The writing is amazing as well as the amount of work that has been put into the characters and the world building and everything is just really great?? I can definitely appreciate the amount of effort that has gone into this.

It was a shame that it ended so soon just after the revelation, but I'll definitely be looking forward to chapter 2 now! :)

P.S. Out of curiosity, how much freedom will the choices given in game actually allow? Will the course of the story remain mostly linear with a few extra scenes and dialogue depending on the choices, will there be multiple paths and endings?

Cera L. Hendry
Regular
Completed: Ex Astris 1-9 & Rules They Abide By
Deviantart: cera-l-hendry

#11 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Oh woah, thanks for the feedback everyone! ^^ To reply to a few people...

frederic09 > It's nice to hear you liked the old artwork. XD Believe me, it was a HARD decision to allow Lanis to lose the glasses. They were so iconic for her. But I thought, in an era where they're producing artificial humans... would people REALLY still wear glasses? We already have decent laser eye surgery today... I'm thinking about it too much aren't I? Yes I am... I really need to stop listening to my 'unfun logic'. This is a world of fantasy after all. XD

philip > Yes they are quite a bit different :D The story was always going to end up in Xian, I've just pulled a few events further forward, swapped some other things around and character roles... made Lanis a bit older (a graduated doctor now) even though with my new style she looks younger... Meh ^^;

SakanaTonic > You asked about the choices and their effects? Umm.. I'm not sure yet XD Of course being episodic I can only have it affect the outcomes of each chapter and open up different scenes and dialogue. But I have toyed with the idea of actually having 'death' scenes or dead ends within a chapter when things start getting serious. I'll still need to play around with that concept a bit more methinks...

destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

#12 Post by destiny_921 »

Just... wow.

You've made a HUGE improvement from LINEAR. The sound effects, music and graphics are so much more polished and blend well together. I seriously can't wait for the next part.

And dear Maker, you made everyone look so much better. Fantastic job!
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#13 Post by Rainbow Colors »

It seems nice~ I'll play it sometime when there's less schoolwork >u>

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

ixWishing
Veteran

#14 Post by ixWishing »

Ahh, I remember playing the flash version first, on deviantart c:
Is there anything different from the flash version and this? (Other than art & story change as you said. Like any new scenes? ^^)

Well, either way I'm downloading it right now~
- Everlasting Dreams ;

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#15 Post by pwisaguacate »

I went to LINEAR's thread [link], but the page it points to is down. May we get a download link?