Winter Shard

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

Re: Winter Shard

#76 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#77 Post by PyTom »

Basically, one thread is trying to access an image's data while a second thread was trying to draw it to the screen.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#78 Post by mikey »

Hmmm, I can't download the extras on the project's page... :(
http://www.fiasanctuary.co.cc/wintershard/extra.html
Though I have Barajan - I just wanted Shards Of Memory.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#79 Post by F.I.A »

Blue Lemma wrote:Nice little site :D But I typed in "trick or treat" and it didn't give me candy :evil:
I'd suggest making the comic available in plain image format instead of a .rar - more people would probably read it ^^
Did as suggested. They can be found in the extra section as well.
mikey wrote:Hmmm, I can't download the extras on the project's page... :(
http://www.fiasanctuary.co.cc/wintershard/extra.html
Though I have Barajan - I just wanted Shards Of Memory.
Seems like the host has banned the usage of rar file(Maybe being abused by splitting). They are now replaced with zip.

And thanks for notifying me.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

mrcus

#80 Post by mrcus »

Can't find a working download link for this game..?

Jake
Support Hero

#81 Post by Jake »

mrcus wrote:Can't find a working download link for this game..?
http://renai.us/game/wintershard.shtml
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#82 Post by Coren »

Hmm, I don't really see much difference between the worst ending and the worse ending, though, other than the fact that
In the worst ending he made Marliene into food and became some kind of godlike figure

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

#83 Post by F.I.A »

Kirroha wrote:Hmm, I don't really see much difference between the worst ending and the worse ending, though, other than the fact that
In the worst ending he made Marliene into food and became some kind of godlike figure
That is true to an extent:
In Worst Ending, Frederone has a group of cultists who devoted themselves to serve him. Since they will remove any other religions in the name of their dark one, the people will have to convert themselves to the cult or die of heresy.

Frankly, for Worst Ending, it is conquer over the continent with false religion instead of sheer power for Worse Ending. One is about manipulation over humans, and the other is about piling up despairs.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#84 Post by carosene »

For some reason, after seeing it bumped to the top of the Completed Game forum, I thought this was a new game, so I was all gung-ho ready to offer my criticism on it. o.o But apparently it's over two years old? XD I'm still gonna offer my criticism, though you probably have heard it all before, have changed a lot, and don't care now. XD Sorry! (Now I feel bad, because it's like I'm a newbie lecturing a veteran... X[)

So, I got most of the endings. :3 (I'm missing the bottom left one, if you could give me any advice, that'd be much appreciated.)

THE GOOD:
I'm sure you're aware that your artwork was not amazing, and that's alright, but there were quite a few images that kind of took me back and I went "Wow!"
I really liked the "Rosetta funeral" type scene with all the monsters and skeletons bearing the corpse... that was awesome. XD I like Rosetta in the rose monster, I liked the bloody lab, the image of the rose bed in snow... I liked the sprite of the evil scientist guy, Z-man, and I liked the random gorey drone before it got it's armor on. I was almost disapointed when it did get it's armor on. It was so much creepier without. XD (Somehow vaguely reminded me of The Dreaming? In a good way.)
I also liked your super dark and evil tone. X3 I liked the ending diversity, I liked the way the story progressed,
I liked the way Rosetta and Marliene went together, the way they were different yet the same. Good stuff.
The Bad:
To me, there were two main problems that were interconected.
Firstly, I was too aware of you, the writer's, presence. It was almost like I wasn't reading a story, it was more like I was listening to you saying, "Wouldn't it be cool if I
became undead and could exact revenge on all these people who bullied me and these chicks were throwing themselves at me and I was the favorite servant of this evil dark lord...?"
In other words, to me it seemed a bit more like wish-fulfillment for you than you trying to entertain your audience. Though your game is much too creative (especially in it's setting) to be simply wish fulfillment, I think you could benefit in the future by trying to distance yourself from your characters.

The other problem was the characters were too one-dimensional. Kratos is powerful but kind of unintelligent. Every other male in the story, excluding Matheus(?) and the Duke are evil, stupid, and easily disposed of. Rosetta lives only to be good and fall in love. Marliene is the same except she can kick some tail. (Their similarity isn't bad. Their lack of depth is.)

That's about all I got. ^-^; Despite my distaste for some of the writing, I think it was a good game, and I hope you've kept it up over these years--and I plan to check out new games you've got. :3
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Headache
Regular

#85 Post by Headache »

I love this game! It's very unique and the way the plot is branched is very, very cool. Thanks for making such a fun VN!

I have all other endings except only one. Can somebody help me find the last one? These are the endings I've got:
Eternal Bride
Eternal Servitude
Together Forever
The King and Queen
The Ruler of Darkness
The Evil God
A Used Pawn
Edit: I got it! The true ending! It was so touching!!!! :')

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

#86 Post by F.I.A »

@carosene:
For that last route, be as evil as possible.

Regarding the writing, I tried to make it so that it was written to convey what Frederone experienced with his five senses. As for wish fulfillment, it was indeed my intention to produce/tell this story.
As for the artwork, that's certainly something I will strive to improve.
@headache:
I am glad that you enjoyed the game.
Thank you for spending time to complete this game.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#87 Post by carosene »

F.I.A wrote:@carosene:
For that last route, be as evil as possible.

Regarding the writing, I tried to make it so that it was written to convey what Frederone experienced with his five senses. As for wish fulfillment, it was indeed my intention to produce/tell this story.
Thanks for the hint! :D
It's ok, I'm not sure how to describe what I meant. o.o
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Sapphire Iris

#88 Post by Sapphire Iris »

I've played the game and i have to say that i'm really impressed! :o I'm usually bored with long term games like this, but i found Winter Shards VERY interesting! I loved the coherence, the action, the boldness and the romance!! :) The character was not the big hero we always expect, but he can be manipulated by the player, in order to end in a different way(either evil, or good, or a compination)!!And that was a good thing!!! :wink: ''thumbs up''
My problem is that i have two endings to find but i just can't! :cry: :evil: I need some tips(PLEASE),
for the worse ending and the good ending with Marilane.

Thank you so much for the great game and i hope to get your reply soon!! :D

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran

#89 Post by F.I.A »

For both endings
Worse Ending
Be evil, but not to the extreme like Worst ending, and be alone.

Good Ending (With Marliene)
Serve Krotus together with another soul.
And thank you for playing Winter Shard. I am glad that you enjoyed it.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#90 Post by ludeshka »

Revenge on the milkmaid Crocket pic :D
I do apologize for how pokemonish the hydra looks. O_o
Attachments
Metheus brushing the hydra's teeth :P
Metheus brushing the hydra's teeth :P