CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET. [VN x Bosch Art Game]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

Re: CAVE! CAVE! DEUS VIDET. [VN x Bosch Art Game]

#16 Post by lemonscent »

Good luck inthe competition! I finally got around to playing this, and I liked it a lot:) It was a bit confusing (especially the quiz @___@ For the quiz I was seriously just all 'shoot me or i'll shoot myself oaijdfliajsdfk'), but overall very cool.
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#17 Post by trooper6 »

So. The first week of classes have finished and my syllabi are done (more or less), and my course websites are up (more or less), and I took a nap and caught up on sleep yesterday...and so I played Cave, Cave today...a treat to myself for having made it through Week 1 mostly intact.

Um. Wow.

Very well done.

1) I really appreciate that you went to make an art game. I love art games. I love that you were fearless and you didn't worry about focus groups or how things have been done. You had an artistic vision and you just put it out there. I appreciate that a lot.
2) I really appreciate the amount of research that clearly went into this work. And the academic in me appreciated the bibliography in the credits.
3) I really appreciated the structure of the piece, including the two different sides to the story, as it were.
4) I really appreciated the art design of this piece. Superb!
5) I really appreciated the music and sound design in general.
6) I really appreciated the gameplay elements. Nicely done!
7) I really enjoyed the writing.

Overall, a really affecting game. Very well done.

The only few things I'd say:
1) Once or twice I noticed a section that I had some awkward english that I didn't think was meant to be awkward english. But it wasn't that big of a deal.
2) I think the two different endings aren't balanced as well as they could be. The Anthony ending has a puzzle that completely finishes. The Bosch ending leaves you with a puzzle unfinished. I wish it would have been finished because I was dying to use my numbers! Also I thought the difficulty of the Bosch puzzle was just a little bit harder than the Anthony puzzle. The Anthony puzzle didn't have you repeat as much if you got it wrong and there were hints. You didn't actually need to have outside knowledge of the Seven Deadly Sins or Latin. The Bosch puzzle had long repetition if you got later questions wrong and unless you already knew about ergotism, or looked it up, you'd have to do a bit of trial and error. But, again, it wasn't egregious.

Lastly a philosophical game mechanics pondering.

When the guide asks me what I see in the painting. The answer in my head is "A black Mass." But the first time I played it through, I answered "Monsters." Not because I thought monsters...but because I didn't trust the Guide and I didn't want to tell him what I'm really thinking. I've played a few games that would give you the option of saying something you don't really think to someone out loud, and then gives you the option to tell the narrator what you really think. I think that would be a cool sort of mechanic here. Especially since Hoodie may want to lie to his shrink or to the guide.

Anyhow--really well done and I'm looking forward to more episodes!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Xuan
Regular
Projects: Dustbin Dreaming

#18 Post by Xuan »

I need a walkthrough for this honestly; I can't even get past the initial quiz and the intentionally tunneled vision made it pretty hard...

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by trooper6 »

Xuan, which quiz? The ink blot test? I don't think there are right or wrong answers that stop forward progress, are there?

I picked the things they looked like to me...answered differently both times I played it and still got past the test.

Do you mean a different quiz?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#20 Post by Darkmoonfire »

This was definitely interesting. I like it.
It's really cool to see this medium used in new ways, and this is certainly unique. The art style didn't appeal to me at first, but it really grew on me, and I like how the different styles were used.
I found the puzzles kind of frustrating. The quiz wasn't too bad, but I did a lot of guess work. The seven deadly sins one was annoying because of how small my view was. I would have liked to see more of my options at a time. Also there were a few moments where I wanted to select something, but I clicked the wrong space to zoom in, so I couldn't find the option to click. Still, I do like puzzles and the theme for that one was appealing to me.
I really like the music where the stranger in the red hat is talking to hoodie at the museum.
Also, at the end it says end of Episode 0. Does that mean there's more episodes planned?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by trooper6 »

Congratulations to We Are Muesli for winning the Bosch 500!
I hope you take the prize money and develop the game into something ever more amazing--I'm looking forward to it!

Note: Having played a lot of adventure games of the point-and-click variety, I did not think your puzzles were too hard.
A Close Shave:

someone45678
Completed: The Beginning

#22 Post by someone45678 »

I was frightened .

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#23 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

I LOVED this game. The art, the color palette, and the story too...I played through both choices/routes, and I learned a ton about Bosch too. I liked Hoodie as the MC, so the end floored me when I found out the truth. I was like "AHHHHHH." I also appreciate the shoutouts to Star Wars and The Matrix.

Also, this is one of the few games that unintentionally scared me. Those paintings...*shudders* Amazing though.

Congrats on winning the competition as well as VNsNow! Best Game of 2013. Totally well earned. I look forward to the next episode and wish the team the best of luck!

Honest Critique