Okay, I shall now post a quick review~
First off! The remake tears the original into little pieces and stomps on it multiple times. While I still like the old one, this new version not only revamps it with better art and detailed story, you introduce us to something FRESH! New characters (including the implementation of Doppelganger) and great new gameplay, such as inspection, interrogation, and best of all...THE RPG ELEMENT! Battles, yeaaah <333
I like how we start at the beginning. We get to see how Gerald and Mike actually meet, and before she cut her hair! Their dialogue seems even better than the original. Mike is as witty as ever, and she can also become totally adorable as well! I also liked the switching between POVs. I don't think I've ran into very many games that switch POVs, so that's a cool feature so we get to see things at different angles.
So, let us go through all of the good;
- REALLY GOOD STORY! A visual novel is nothing if the story falls flat, but Re:Set doesn't. It has depth, yet it doesn't fear being whacky either, and it all flows very well.
The seven demons, portrayed as the seven deadly sins also seem to have substance to them compared to the original game. I liked the relationship between Sydonai and Midas, and the reason why she became the sin of "Lust". It really add more depth. Instead of just presenting the sin in its raw, selfish form, you portray it in a more human way---often times, why the sin is committed. For Sydonai, all she wanted was Midas, but he was Greedy and she felt abandoned, so she sought what she wasn't getting in all the wrong places and became...well, Lust.
I really liked learning more about Mike's past, and why she is hurting the way she is...so she acts well, like Mike XD It's cute how she and Gerald interacts concerning this, and I loved their promise. Not sounding cheesy, either. Quite the plus~
DOPPELGANGER JUN AND YURI!!! I loved seeing them again so much. Melding the stories together brings up points for me~
- The RPG battles were fun! This feature made Re:Set go beyond being a linear novel, but I can actually think of it as a "game" with high emphesis on story.
- Voices for character battles!!! Everyone matched their character well. Even though it is only heard during battles, now I have a voice for each character as I read in my head. I was also very proud to see one of my own voice actors there ^.-
- Epic opening, as usual! I won't comment on the song 'cause I sung it and...yeah, I'm still a little embarrassed ^///^
Okay, now for...some of the cons;
- As already mentioned, the color scheme for the choice menu was difficult to read...even when I put on my glasses XD More or less, the background color.
- Voice audio needs to be louder. I had to lower the music volume in order to hear the voices, especially when a battle ends. So either battle music needs to be lowered, or voice volume needs to be normalized. It differed per character, too. Since you are probably dealing with VAs using different equipment and settings, their volumes aren't level with each other.
Lastly, Gerald theories;
At first, I thought he was the original box owner. Then, it seemed he was one of the demons himself, considering the flashbacks. Now...the epilogue makes me think he might of been used for some kind of "experiment".
I remembered some other errors, too, and when I run into them again, I shall report. Anyway, great story! I look forward to episode 2! ^o^