Detective Butler - Now on STEAM GREENLIGHT!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
TwilightOfTheSoul
Regular

Re: Detective Butler EP1 [KN][Murder Mystery]

#16 Post by TwilightOfTheSoul »

The OSX problems are probably caused by issues with the built-in PNG library from the OS. It can be worked around by building SDL_image against libpng instead of the OS version and then linking ONScripter to that build of SDL_image.

As for Linux, ONScripter has builds for that as well. It should be sufficient to just drop the Linux engine on top of the extracted Windows version. It also shouldn't suffer from the same graphic problems as the OSX version. I should be able to verify this later. If I have to build ONScripter for it to work in Linux, I'll provide an Ubuntu Quantal and a Debian Wheezy build here.

EDIT: Ok, I spoke too soon. Using the last available build of onscripter-en the same issues exist as in the OSX version. Otherwise things seem to be fine. I tried building against system libs and then as a standalone (static) executable on lubuntu quantal and ran into issues with both so it will require some effort to fix the build system.

Eris_OtomeGamer

#17 Post by Eris_OtomeGamer »

I really love this V/N asidhaids <3 Once i started to play it I couldn't stop! hahaha~
If the title reads "EP1" does that mean that's going to exist an EP2? ~ <3
If that's it, I'm going to die of excitement(?) (at least, not literally (?) LOL
Well,that's all haha I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally love the V/N~ Hope for more!~ ♥

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#18 Post by Kinjo »

TwilightOfTheSoul wrote:The OSX problems are probably caused by issues with the built-in PNG library from the OS. It can be worked around by building SDL_image against libpng instead of the OS version and then linking ONScripter to that build of SDL_image.

As for Linux, ONScripter has builds for that as well. It should be sufficient to just drop the Linux engine on top of the extracted Windows version. It also shouldn't suffer from the same graphic problems as the OSX version. I should be able to verify this later. If I have to build ONScripter for it to work in Linux, I'll provide an Ubuntu Quantal and a Debian Wheezy build here.

EDIT: Ok, I spoke too soon. Using the last available build of onscripter-en the same issues exist as in the OSX version. Otherwise things seem to be fine. I tried building against system libs and then as a standalone (static) executable on lubuntu quantal and ran into issues with both so it will require some effort to fix the build system.
If you (or anyone else) can figure out how to get Mac/Linux versions working, I'd really appreciate it. Sounds a bit more complicated than I know how to handle at the moment.
Eris_OtomeGamer wrote:I really love this V/N asidhaids <3 Once i started to play it I couldn't stop! hahaha~
If the title reads "EP1" does that mean that's going to exist an EP2? ~ <3
If that's it, I'm going to die of excitement(?) (at least, not literally (?) LOL
Well,that's all haha I reaaaaaaaaaaaaally love the V/N~ Hope for more!~ ♥
Thanks! And yeah, there will be more episodes coming!

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#19 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Now that I have quite free time, I'm going to download this...will drop a feedback later. Murder mystery always been my favorite :3
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

tiya_nofurita
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: ALLBLACK Phase 1, Heart's Blight, Last Rx., EDDA Cafe, Kohana, Half Moon
Projects: ALLBLACK Phase 2
Organization: VN Project Indonesia
Deviantart: SECONDARY-TARGET
itch: NSAID
Discord: 3,4-Methylendioxymethamphetamine#4886

#20 Post by tiya_nofurita »

Okay I finished up reading the story.

My thoughts:
I'm not the one who can judge whether your writing is decent or not (I'm not a very good writer myself), but I found some....uh, plot holes? Especially because this is a detective story, you seem to forget some of the details.
1. I know the story focused only on a certain group (8 people, to be exact), but how about everybody else on the ship? How can a huge fire didn't cause an uproar to all passengers and staff? (Because the fire would have triggered the alarm...or at least I think like that). What about the bodyguard that was shot in the middle of the final confrontation, is he dead or what? Because Gilligan seems didn't care and entirely forget for chasing the murderer.
2. Sorry Detective Butlers, but I don't like you. First, your personality. Two, your ridiculous theory when speculating about the murderer's key trick (sounds so stupid....I think. You'd better think first before said anything). Thiffrd, your crazy ideas to blowing up Blythe's car. It's a criminal, dude. You could end up as a murderer as well. And his explanation about countermeasure strategy to stop Blythe for running away sounds odd to me too. But I'll leave that aside.
3. I'm not surprised about Blythe being a criminal and murderer. Although her motive basically just a simple one, it seems realistic. I however, kinda hard to understand her sudden change of personality in the end. It seems unrealistic. Maybe you should elaborate a little because the plot twist seems somewhat...forced. Although I partially blame the stupid bodyguard to release her tied so easily only because of Gilligan's words.
That's for the writing aspect. However, I see you have put a lot of effort into writing and programming, so congrats on your first visual novel. The art aspect seems nice because I like the anime style, with strong shading and crisp lines. A lot of characters variety and CGs too so I can't really complaint. The bonus section really adds the value of your visual novel. My main problem is the sound, because suddenly it turned off in the middle of story, I check the settings, turned on the speaker into maximum, and I can't hear that anymore even after I restart it, is it only my computer's problem?
I feel sorry for Gilligan because all the bad things happen to him, at least give him happy ending with Cecilia. Lol just my preference.
I'm looking forward for the next episode :D
Webtoon

"For what reason I live?"

---
Completed project:

"What will you see when you are dead?"

MY VISUAL NOVEL

やまと
Regular

#21 Post by やまと »

Looks nice.

Is it possible to get an Android version? As far as I know, if you are using Ren'Py you got it easy. I still didn't download so I dunno which engine are you using here but since I play VNs in my 'droid, I'm a bit lazy to dowlnoad this to play on my computer cause I play VNs while un Bus or Train.

またね!

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#22 Post by Sheridan »

I liked the setup of this story and the chapters leading up to the actual murder, but the ending was a bit of a letdown.
People have already brought up some leaps of logic, etc. so I won't repeat that. One nitpick that I don't think was mentioned: at one point Gilligan talks about how fancy the food is, but the photo you use is of a rather bland and ordinary plate. The scene would have been fine without having a close-up there.

I don't mind Butler being kind of annoying because I thought that was how he was intended to come across.
Biggest disappointment: that this VN was not actually about a crime-solving butler.

jesusalva
Regular
Organization: Software in Public Interest, Inc.
IRC Nick: jesusalva
Github: pazkero
itch: tmw2
Discord: Jesusalva#4449

#23 Post by jesusalva »

For Linux players, like I:
1- download wine
2- go to /home/username/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Progam\ Files
3- copy the folder here.
4- open the .exe file with wine. You can play now.

p.s: any problem, copy libraries to /home/username/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
that shouldn't be required. You should try download the linux/Mac Osx version. Everything worked fine, including all animations, but it will take too much CPU.
Jesusaves/Jesusalva

Kinjo
Veteran

#24 Post by Kinjo »

tiya_nofurita wrote:Okay I finished up reading the story.
My thoughts:
I'm not the one who can judge whether your writing is decent or not (I'm not a very good writer myself), but I found some....uh, plot holes? Especially because this is a detective story, you seem to forget some of the details.
1. I know the story focused only on a certain group (8 people, to be exact), but how about everybody else on the ship? How can a huge fire didn't cause an uproar to all passengers and staff? (Because the fire would have triggered the alarm...or at least I think like that). What about the bodyguard that was shot in the middle of the final confrontation, is he dead or what? Because Gilligan seems didn't care and entirely forget for chasing the murderer.
2. Sorry Detective Butlers, but I don't like you. First, your personality. Two, your ridiculous theory when speculating about the murderer's key trick (sounds so stupid....I think. You'd better think first before said anything). Thiffrd, your crazy ideas to blowing up Blythe's car. It's a criminal, dude. You could end up as a murderer as well. And his explanation about countermeasure strategy to stop Blythe for running away sounds odd to me too. But I'll leave that aside.
3. I'm not surprised about Blythe being a criminal and murderer. Although her motive basically just a simple one, it seems realistic. I however, kinda hard to understand her sudden change of personality in the end. It seems unrealistic. Maybe you should elaborate a little because the plot twist seems somewhat...forced. Although I partially blame the stupid bodyguard to release her tied so easily only because of Gilligan's words.
That's for the writing aspect. However, I see you have put a lot of effort into writing and programming, so congrats on your first visual novel. The art aspect seems nice because I like the anime style, with strong shading and crisp lines. A lot of characters variety and CGs too so I can't really complaint. The bonus section really adds the value of your visual novel. My main problem is the sound, because suddenly it turned off in the middle of story, I check the settings, turned on the speaker into maximum, and I can't hear that anymore even after I restart it, is it only my computer's problem?
I feel sorry for Gilligan because all the bad things happen to him, at least give him happy ending with Cecilia. Lol just my preference.
I'm looking forward for the next episode :D
Thanks for playing!
1. Well, I sort of addressed that already. But I didn't think I needed to go into detail with it in the story. If that's the biggest plot hole then I'm a happy witch-doctor.~
2. Butler is Butler. He's not supposed to be a nice guy, nor does he have any real respect for the law, which is kind of odd for a detective. His only motivation to solve mysteries is for entertainment, not for a higher moral cause such as protecting law and order. He'll do anything for the truth, even if it means hurting other people. Not surprising you didn't like him -- he's more of an anti-hero.
3. Similarly it's your opinion. Some like it, some don't, so not much I can say there.
And no, the sound wasn't supposed to cut off halfway through. Probably an issue on your end, as I really don't know why it would happen.

やまと wrote:Looks nice.

Is it possible to get an Android version? As far as I know, if you are using Ren'Py you got it easy. I still didn't download so I dunno which engine are you using here but since I play VNs in my 'droid, I'm a bit lazy to dowlnoad this to play on my computer cause I play VNs while un Bus or Train.

またね!
I'm using ONscripter. 99% sure it's possible, but I need to look into it some more. Currently there is no Android version.
jesusalva wrote:For Linux players, like I:
1- download wine
2- go to /home/username/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Progam\ Files
3- copy the folder here.
4- open the .exe file with wine. You can play now.

p.s: any problem, copy libraries to /home/username/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32
that shouldn't be required. You should try download the linux/Mac Osx version. Everything worked fine, including all animations, but it will take too much CPU.
Thanks, I'll update the first post to include this information for Linux users.
Sheridan wrote:I liked the setup of this story and the chapters leading up to the actual murder, but the ending was a bit of a letdown.
People have already brought up some leaps of logic, etc. so I won't repeat that. One nitpick that I don't think was mentioned: at one point Gilligan talks about how fancy the food is, but the photo you use is of a rather bland and ordinary plate. The scene would have been fine without having a close-up there.

I don't mind Butler being kind of annoying because I thought that was how he was intended to come across.
Biggest disappointment: that this VN was not actually about a crime-solving butler.
Thanks for playing! Yeah, not much I can say about the ending other than "I'll do better next time". And I definitely will.

I simply had taken a picture of food (two actually) and I thought, well, why not use it?~

And yeah, I fully intended Butler to come across that way -- maybe not "annoying" but instead "painfully truthful", a running theme of the story. Wasn't surprising that some people would find him annoying, although he's currently the most popular character according to the character poll.

Leafwing
Projects: (only plot bunnies for now)
Tumblr: letherealism

#25 Post by Leafwing »

tiya_nofurita wrote: My main problem is the sound, because suddenly it turned off in the middle of story, I check the settings, turned on the speaker into maximum, and I can't hear that anymore even after I restart it, is it only my computer's problem?
Lol, I've been a lurker but I made an account just so I could answer this question....

Psst....are you running the game on Windows? If so, ONS seems to have these weird keyboard shortcuts for stuff.

Anyways, long story short, my sound wasn't working either, and I realized it was because I pressed the "M" key on the keyboard by accident. That mutes the entire game. Try pressing it again to get the sound back.

I spent all of this afternoon finishing up this mystery. Here's my input:
I KNEW that captain was up to no good as soon as he showed himself with his smarmy smile and army of bodyguards. RAWR. But---didn't expect Blythe to be the culprit, because I totally forgot she overheard about the Ghost Tour from Cecila the night before. So consider me slow on the update. (And I was taking notes too, sheesh.)

My main nagging point would be the tone of the "confession letter", actually. I know it's supposed to sound old-fashioned, but parts of it seem a bit too formal (lots of adjectives and adverbs), so it reads less like a letter and more like a script. Just my two cents.
Lovely graphics! And now I guess I'll go make an intro post, or something. =p

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#26 Post by ebi-hime »

Gah... I really want to play this VN, but onscripter keeps crashing every single time I get to the opening movie, and I don't know how to stop it from happening...
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Kinjo
Veteran

#27 Post by Kinjo »

ebi-hime wrote:Gah... I really want to play this VN, but onscripter keeps crashing every single time I get to the opening movie, and I don't know how to stop it from happening...
This problem was reported in the past with my Umineko fangames, so it might be an issue with the opening video's encoding. Just to make sure, what operating system are you running on? I'll see what I can do to fix this, but in the meantime you can download NSAOut to extract the game's files. From there you can delete the opening video and you shouldn't have to worry about it crashing the game.

ppppantsu
Veteran
Completed: Haruman, DMMd Fan VN, Fetish 1.0, Fetish: ESC, Colors~AU~, Fetish: Wanted, Incolore
itch: soraille

#28 Post by ppppantsu »

oh wow------ is this really for free--- coz this looks like it can go for a commercial release //slapped
228 mb though, but still--- hhhngggg-- I'm a sucker to these types even though I'm not any good. QwQ

will play this ASAP <3 :oops:

Aruise
Regular
Projects: Endless Corridor

#29 Post by Aruise »

Ooh this look interesting, 'yay!' for mystery story! *w* downloading now and will play it immediately! :D

Congrats on completing this! :D
Current Project

ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

#30 Post by ebi-hime »

Kinjo wrote:This problem was reported in the past with my Umineko fangames, so it might be an issue with the opening video's encoding. Just to make sure, what operating system are you running on? I'll see what I can do to fix this, but in the meantime you can download NSAOut to extract the game's files. From there you can delete the opening video and you shouldn't have to worry about it crashing the game.
Windows 7, I think.
But I just got around the problem by reading it on my friend's computer, instead of my own. Which is a lot older than mine but ran it just fine, for some reason.

Thank you for the reply anyway n_n
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆