Sophie [Try-and-die, Slice-Of-Life, friendship? GxB?] [VN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

Re: Sophie [Try-and-die, Slice-Of-Life, friendship? GxB?] [V

#16 Post by Didules »

Ok, I'm a bit late, sorry ^^

@ Susan: thank you for playing! :) I'll try to correct the part when the translation was no good, sorry that you had to switch to French ^^;

@ Googaboga: Wow, thank you soooooooooo much! :D Thanks to you I'll correct those part. I also noticed that most of the time the mistakes came when the english translation was too close to the french one. For instance: "Don't bother, he doesn't have for so much time." comes from a french expression translater literally: it means that Bertrand won't take long, Gaël won't have to wait long, this kind of meaning.
Again, thank you, I'll try to correct these once I turn on my computer and update the link in a few hours!
Thank you for playing ^o^

EDIT: done, the link has been updated :)

rock_an9el
Regular
Completed: Midnight's Cafe, Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: Hush hush

#17 Post by rock_an9el »

Hey, I'm really looking foward to playing this! :D
I'll update this post when I downlad and beat the game and tell you my thoughts of it.

Oh, I like your art, bdw! And I'm glad you finally finished it. :)

EDIT:
So I finally played this game! Yay!
Haha, my every choice was a wrong one until the last one! So I died... many times... But hey, I guess Sophie has nine lives! XD

-What is the first ending you got?
My first choice killed me. XD
And I was hit by a car. Sophie, Sophie, that's why you always have to look both sides before crossing a street :P
-What is your favorite ending?
I love all of them, especially if she dies when one of the boys are around. Their expressions are priceless!

Can't help you much with the third question because I only know a few words in French ^^;;

Oh, and I think I found one sentence that looked a bit odd to me.
When Sophie goes out with her friends, instead of
"An embarrassed silence begins to settle down" I think it should go
"An embarrassing silence begins to settle down".
I didn't pay much attention to the rest as it was late at night, sorry ^^;; This one kinda stood out.
I apologize if someone else already pointed that out ^^;;

Overall, I loved the game because it was simple, the art was pretty and the ways Sophie died were funny and weird. It was a good first game by you, if I may say. :)
I can't wait to see what you'll think of next!

And about the sprites, don't know... There are a lot of people that use sprites from Creative Commons because they can't draw or just need sprites so they could practice with the Ren'py codes. I guess you could put your sprites (if you already didn't) and maybe someone will make another version of Sophie! Or maybe Gaël would be the main character? You never know. :)
Last edited by rock_an9el on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image

Didules
Veteran

#18 Post by Didules »

rock_an9el wrote:Hey, I'm really looking foward to playing this! :D
I'll update this post when I downlad and beat the game and tell you my thoughts of it.
Oh, I like your art, bdw! And I'm glad you finally finished it. :)
Thanks a lot :) I hope you have fun while playing it :D Don't expect too much though, I don't want you to be disappointed ^^

Nayara NightRoo
Regular
Projects: The Curse

#19 Post by Nayara NightRoo »

I've got one of the bad endings first.
I went to the park and waited with Gael... I was like "what a stupid way to die, how could I?" :lol:. So unexpected.
It has been almost impossible for me to beat this VN... :roll: I got all the bad endings, but finally managed to get the good one. Now I understand the "Try-and-die" of the title. :)

Well, I think it's really nice for being your first VN; I like your art and your dialogue. If you made another one (maybe the second part of this one, to be able to get the boys or something like that), I'd be glad to play it. :wink:

Didules
Veteran

#20 Post by Didules »

@ Nayara NightRoo:
Thank you for playing! Congratulation for finishing the game! I have to say that the first bad ending you got is the one I love the most because it is the one everyone usually makes, thinking "I'm gonna be nice with him" ^^ I had fun writing it and it still is my favorite one!
I don't know yet if I'll make a second one, I have to say that I may or may not, I already have some ideas for a second "Sophie" that would be more...normal. At first, I was saying at the end of the game that I could make a second "Sophie" but I erased this part so nobody would be disapppointed if I didn't ^^
The fact is, I don't like writing Slife because I think what I write isn't interesting enough, and I'm not confident writing love scenes.
I'm really glad you enjoyed this game, and thank you again for playing :)

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#21 Post by Googaboga »

@Didules
No problem. I'm glad I could help. I'll download the newer version and see if I can spot anything else. And thanks for the explanation about the sentence I couldn't understand. I get it now X3.

I'd like to play another game made by you guys too. I look forward to seeing what you come up with C:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Didules
Veteran

#22 Post by Didules »

Googaboga wrote:I'd like to play another game made by you guys too. I look forward to seeing what you come up with C:.
Aww, so many nice people here! :D I can't stop smiling now! Thanks a lot, we'll try not to disappoint you! It will probably be in a long time but we will definitely make another game (a better one of course ^^). Thanks again for everything you've done!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Googaboga »

That's good to hear :].

I went through the rest of the game's endings and here is what I found.
If you choose to go to the supermarket right away on the second day she says "I don't want to end up shut outdoor.". Saying "shut outdoors." or "locked outside." would work better.

Later during that option when she's at the supermarket Sophie says "She really seems to meet difficulties.". Saying "she seems to really be having a difficult time." or something like that would be easier to understand.

If you choose to stay home Sophie says "I understand better what felt Gael when talking about his mother". Saying "I understand better what Gael felt when talking about his mother." flows better.

If you run into Bertrand at the supermarket and tell him you are shopping for your mom she says "He seems to think it's a man's to help a damsel in distres,". You just forgot an "s" at the end of distress.

I'm sure I probably missed stuff but it is really early in the morning where I am and I haven't gone to bed yet. Sorry X'D.
In-Progress:
Released:

Didules
Veteran

#24 Post by Didules »

@Googaboga: I really owe you something about this, seriously I don't know how to show my gratitude ^^ So I added you in the credits (true end) but I don't think it's enough... Do you want something else in return?
Googaboga wrote:I'm sure I probably missed stuff but it is really early in the morning where I am and I haven't gone to bed yet. Sorry X'D.
Wow, I'm the one who's sorry!! Don't overexert yourslef O.O
In a few minutes I'll change the link once again, thank you again ^^ (Seriously I lack words to express my gratitude!)

EDIT: Okay, done, the new version is up :)
BTW, there were more than 100 downloads if we count all versions (as for now there are 3 or 4 of them), so thank you everybody <3
And now:
do you think someone would be interested if I were to give the sprites in the Creative Commons section?
I mean, there are quite old and I have 2 more sprites I didn't use which are in a similar style, I think they could be useful to someone ^^ The fact is, even if I were to do another "Sophie" game, I wouldn't use the same sprites but I'd do something better (probably), so, what do you think?

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Googaboga »

Aaaw you're very sweet. I don't need anything in return. I'm happy I could help though :]. Oh thank you for putting in the credits that's really nice of you.

It's okay. If I wasn't up playing Sophie I would of found something else to do XD.

I don't know very much about pre-made assets so I don't know if they would be helpful or not. I can't really offer any suggestions ^^;.
In-Progress:
Released:

minilys
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café
Tumblr: Hidden-Masquerade

#26 Post by minilys »

It's fine. After all, you already helped us so much Googaboga!
a Hidden Masquerade game

Didules
Veteran

#27 Post by Didules »

rock_an9el wrote:But hey, I guess Sophie has nine lives! XD
Wow, I didn't even think that way! Now I want to draw Sophie as a cat, because, yeah, they both have nine lives XD
rock_an9el wrote:Overall, I loved the game because it was simple, the art was pretty and the ways Sophie died were funny and weird. It was a good first game by you, if I may say. :) I can't wait to see what you'll think of next!
Shake with fear, mortal!! Next I'll make an even more sadistic game!!!! Or not. Who knows? ;)
rock_an9el wrote:There are a lot of people that use sprites from Creative Commons because they can't draw or just need sprites so they could practice with the Ren'py codes. I guess you could put your sprites (if you already didn't) and maybe someone will make another version of Sophie! Or maybe Gaël would be the main character? You never know. :)
That's right, it could be funny to see how people wrote with these sprites! I edited them so they would be a bit better, I think I'll make a thread to give them with a CC-BY or something like that... Thanks!

BTW, thank you for playing and telling your thoughts about it here, thanks a lot!!! :D I guess a game can't live without players, so thank you :)

EDIT: I made a draft of a topic for the sprites, I'll probably upload everything tonight :)

RE EDIT: and Minilys is right, Googaboga, you helped us A LOT, so thank you (again! ^o^) :)

rock_an9el
Regular

#28 Post by rock_an9el »

@Didules
Sophie as a cat! Now I feel like drawing her like a cat too! XD Who knows, maybe you'll get your first fan art, my friend ;)

And a more sadistic game?? Well, color me intruiged! Haha, I'd be happy to help!
(mostly because that would make me one of the first people to see it ;) and since i love to help, of course :P )

Oh great, I bet someone will make good use of your sprites! Besides, if I recall correctly, there are not many boy sprites in Creative Commons, so any sprite you donate is great! I'd donate myself, but I'm sure people wouldn't make use of my art anyway ^^;;
<---- has crappy art
Image Image Image

rock_an9el
Regular

#29 Post by rock_an9el »

@Didules
Sophie as a cat! Now I feel like drawing her like a cat too! XD Who knows, maybe you'll get your first fan art, my friend ;)

And a more sadistic game?? Well, color me intruiged! Haha, I'd be happy to help!
(mostly because that would make me one of the first people to see it ;) and since i love to help, of course :P )

Oh great, I bet someone will make good use of your sprites! Besides, if I recall correctly, there are not many boy sprites in Creative Commons, so any sprite you donate is great! I'd donate myself, but I'm sure people wouldn't make use of my art anyway ^^;;
<---- has crappy art
Image Image Image

Didules
Veteran

#30 Post by Didules »

@Rock_an9el: Of course, you'll be the first one to know when I'll start to make another game :) But I think (i hope?) my new game will be worth a WIP thread :) Because I didn't need one for Sophie XD
I've just put the sprites (thank you for reminding me I almost forgot O.O)