51 cards [short KN, depression, music]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

51 cards [short KN, depression, music]

#1 Post by Sheridan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Not really a story; just the brief reflections of a depressed narrator, set to an eclectic mix of music and numerous photographs of playing cards.

Made in a flash of inspiration over the course of two days, and about halfway through became an experiment in mood setting through oddly juxtaposed background music.

Inspired in part by Abulic Monkey's photograph series "Playing Card Death." I had the basic idea before I started looking for background images, but seeing these photos really shaped my development of the game's imagery.

Downloads:
Windows
Mac
Linux

(5.20.14 update: HTML5 version by Alte)
Play online

Note: Linux and Mac versions have not been tested. If you find any bugs, please let me know.
Known Error: If you have trouble entering fullscreen mode, press Shift+G, click "Force Software Renderer," and restart the game.
Last edited by Sheridan on Tue May 20, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonorousgem
Regular

Re: 51 cards [short KN, depression, music]

#2 Post by sonorousgem » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:54 am

So you made this in 2 days? Nice X) I liked how interesting the music was and how the images were undoubtedly related to the writing.
I didn't get as depressed as I thought I would, mostly because this was so short. I also felt that
the narrator's loneliness turned into depression a little too suddenly. He/she was hard to relate to.
The metaphor was thoughtful and deep :D I hope the narrator finds people that will make him/her (if you mentioned a gender, I'm sorry o.O) feel better.

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#3 Post by Sheridan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:28 am

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I left the narrator's gender purposely unstated, but I'd be interested in whether readers pictured the narrator as a specific gender or not.
I also felt that
the narrator's loneliness turned into depression a little too suddenly. He/she was hard to relate to.
It didn't seem sudden to me, but I intended the narrator to come across as obviously depressed from the very beginning, and I guess that didn't work for you. (Also I have depression and abrupt mood shifts are a thing; that's partly what I meant to express through the music.)

sonorousgem
Regular

#4 Post by sonorousgem » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:04 am

Sheridan wrote:Thanks so much for your feedback!

I left the narrator's gender purposely unstated, but I'd be interested in whether readers pictured the narrator as a specific gender or not.
I felt inclined to picture the narrator as a girl, because well, I'm a girl, but I wasn't sure because it really could have gone either way.
Sheridan wrote:
It didn't seem sudden to me, but I intended the narrator to come across as obviously depressed from the very beginning, and I guess that didn't work for you. (Also I have depression and abrupt mood shifts are a thing; that's partly what I meant to express through the music.)
Okay... in any case, the music and the mood shifts were both very effective. :)