Serafina's Saga [Romance, Drama, Adventure] [GxB][GxG]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
storykween
Regular
Completed: Serafina's Saga, Quantum Conscience, Echoes of the Fey, miraclr - Divine Dating Sim
Organization: Woodsy Studio

Serafina's Saga [Romance, Drama, Adventure] [GxB][GxG]

#1 Post by storykween »

Young Serafina has spent her entire life alone in the jungle with only her guardian, a mysterious man named Arken, as company. When Arken is captured by a group of soldiers and carried away, Serafina must venture outside the forest to save him. On her journey to the heart of the kingdom, Serafina discovers a whole new world beyond the shadows of the jungle. She will also learn the dark truth of Arken's past and thus her own. How she chooses to use this knowledge will change the fate of the entire kingdom.

This interactive novel--approximating 50,000 words in length--features a custom score of 20+ music tracks, 50+ backgrounds, and more than 10 possible endings. As the story unfolds, the reader can choose how to interact with other characters, thereby forming or breaking romantic relationships that will shape the story's conclusion.

Download the game through my website link here: http://www.serafinasaga.com/SerafinaSaga.zip
The file is for Windows, Mac, and Linux (x86) and is 414 MB

It is also available for Android devices through the Google Play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rafinasaga

To learn more about the world of "Serafina's Saga," watch the animated Episode 1 on youtube http://youtu.be/DBeqF2S21F4 and/or read the novella "Grand Traitor" available for free through the website: http://www.serafinasaga.com

Screenshots:
Image Image
This is my first visual novel release, so please let me know what you think!
Last edited by storykween on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My website: woodsy-studio.com

victorita9
Regular

Re: Serafina's Saga (Romance, Adventure)

#2 Post by victorita9 »

I'm about half way through and I just want to say this. It's good, it's really good.

storykween
Regular
Completed: Serafina's Saga, Quantum Conscience, Echoes of the Fey, miraclr - Divine Dating Sim

#3 Post by storykween »

victorita9 wrote:I'm about half way through and I just want to say this. It's good, it's really good.
Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, and thanks for saying so!

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#4 Post by Fenrir34 »

Wow. This was a great game. The first ending I got was Jezu's ending. The pictures were really beautiful, the story well thought out, and the characters likable.

I kind of Xavier had more of a role though since you
don't really see him till the end.
Serafina, however, was a great main character. My favorite guy had to be Arken because he, in a way, was a good father. I also liked Jezu a lot to.
I was just wondering if Arken was an option?
Anyway, this was a great game and was written very well. I look forward to playing more stuff from you in the future :D

Hachiko
Regular

#5 Post by Hachiko »

Though they're not blood related and wouldn't technically be incest, it's still gross if you have Arken as an option. +o( Unless you're referring to going back in the jungle with him... 8)

Anywho, I got Reuben at my ending even though I was trying to get Nikoloas. I must say, his flattery got me (lol), same with Belatrix. :lol: The song that plays when he flirts is funny, can I have a download for it? :D

In my playthrough, there was, 2 or 3? instances that the text was too low and got blocked. It was when Reuben invited you to see the king, then the whole wall of text of it. The last part's view got blocked. I didn't pay attention to the other ones, hopefully someone saved it. =P The graphics and music were great btw, can't believe this is your first VN release! You really did a good job of it! *thumb of approval*

e: got valerie's ending and OMG can't believe you get to marry King Kallias as well! xD that was a bit unexpected and i was hoping for some, you know, cg -coughs- :wink: The last bits with him was kinda cute :3

storykween
Regular

#6 Post by storykween »

@Fenrir34: I *almost* buried an Arken ending really hidden in there :wink: but ultimately decided against it for the following reason...
Character-wise, even if Arken probably desires that deep-down, I see him caring too much about the "purity" of his relationship with Serafina to ever follow through with it
Hachiko wrote:In my playthrough, there was, 2 or 3? instances that the text was too low and got blocked. It was when Reuben invited you to see the king, then the whole wall of text of it
Thanks so much for pointing that out. Will fix ASAP!
Hachiko wrote:The song that plays when he flirts is funny, can I have a download for it? :D
The soundtrack is available here on my Bandcamp page: http://jennygibbons.bandcamp.com/album/ ... soundtrack You can listen to all the tracks there for free. However, to download, it's one of the few things I ask just a little $$ for :mrgreen: I have to get it from somewhere, after all.

I'm so glad you both enjoyed it, and thanks for telling me!

Lire
Regular
Projects: Witch Hunt
Location: Anywhere this minds follows.. stops at Indonesia for now..

#7 Post by Lire »

Another GxB.. Yay! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Download is in progress.. :cry:
Let you know my opinion after playing it. :wink:

finally..
Hm.. Dunno how.. But i got into Rueben path..
Asking why to myself, when i see him at the married option.
I don't think i'm doing something he liked.
Or should i say, i tends to avoids those character the most.
But the endings is good one 8) :D
And all of that happen after rejectings Valerie's. Is she crying like a chicken to her homes?
Nah, couldn't be. That's wasn't like Valerie at all. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The art is good for me, pictured their personality greatly.
I was going WTH when i saw a red haired person charging at me after few clicks. #ifyouknowwhatimean
And got this RUN FOR YOU LIFE!!!!! feelings inside me. Good one. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I enjoy this very much. Thank you :wink:
Last edited by Lire on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not enough time..
Or i'm a genius in wasting time.. :lol:

hedgehog

#8 Post by hedgehog »

I just played through this and was pleasantly surprised at how long and fleshed out it was! I also ran into a couple walls of text that were cut off - like at the part "For the next few days, my work in the gardens absorbs me."

I got Nikolaos's ending and might go through and go for Jezu's next time.

The only additional thing I might wish for is some kind of ending gallery or something like that to see what other endings you could get -- I'm really curious about all the other endings, it'd be nice to have a hint about what they all are!

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by philip »

Downloaded this last evening, and started playing through it; finished this afternoon. All I can say is "WOW!!" I liked everything about this, it was very well done, a great story kept me interested til the end. I got the Jezu ending; will have to go back and try some of the other choices and see what happens. Excellent job!
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I'll be downloading shortly ^^
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

storykween
Regular

#11 Post by storykween »

Thanks everyone! It's interesting to see that several of you got the Jezu ending; his is the hardest one to get--or so I thought! :P

Anomandaris
Regular

#12 Post by Anomandaris »

This was a fun game! I love your distinctive art style; the characters' personalities really shine through in their features. (Also, purely on a shallow note, I absolutely love how pretty all the descendants of Maillion are!). The characterization is also very good. Serafina is an excellent protagonist - she's strong, determined, and acts *sensible*. I can't stress enough how much I love that. I also enjoyed the nature of the choices in the game. There were just enough to make me feel like I was really in control of the protagonist's personality and choices. The plot was straightforward, but good (just like Serafina!) and kept me hooked until the end.

I've only gotten the Reuben and Jezu endings so far. My favorite of the two was Reuben, since his story seemed a bit more fleshed out (it felt like you get a lot more scenes involving Reuben than Jezu, and he definitely had a lot more screen time). I felt rather bad for Reuben when
the game mentioned how he was generally hated by practically everyone in the court, so I enjoyed having Serafina help him out and changing his views on life (or so it seemed in the epilogue). Jezu seems like he'd be fine without Serafina, and their relationship didn't seem quite as strong, probably due to the lessened screen time - Jezu goes from sparring with you to arguing about politics once to a kiss on the cheek, and, although the kiss is pretty cute, that's pretty much it for relationship building. In contrast, you go through a lot more with Reuben, especially since the events where you're interacting with him usually involve hardship, danger (whether perceived or real), and threats.
Therefore, it seems like Serafina and Reuben's relationship followed a more natural progression than the one with Jezu, and I ended up liking Reuben's path a lot better. Also, that scene just before Reuben's epilogue where a certain someone shows up is pretty hilarious!

I also thought that the game ended a bit abruptly before going right into the epilogue...although this could just be because I'm a sucker for cute romance scenes and didn't want to see them end!

One possible bug I noticed:
I chose to give the key to Valerie instead of Nikolaus on both playthroughs, but when we were talking about how flighty he was in the garden, Serafina mentioned that she'd better get the key back from Nikolaus instead of Valerie.
Long review aside, this was a well-made game! I hope that you make more in the future!

Edit: just looked over the thread, and I definitely agree with the other commenters about wanting more Xavier! I really liked the way he was handled.

Hachiko
Regular

#13 Post by Hachiko »

Anomandaris wrote:This was a fun game! I love your distinctive art style; the characters' personalities really shine through in their features. (Also, purely on a shallow note, I absolutely love how pretty all the descendants of Maillion are!).
^this, especially the latter! >o<

@OP
Ahh, okay, I shall check out the music there then! :) I didn't think you'd thought of putting Arken's path though! From his (and Sera's) characterization in the story, I doubt they'd really end up together. At one point, Arken
accidentally thought Sera was her mother in the dark
but that's just it. You can really see that he treats her just like his daughter without any impure thoughts, (and he was really
guilty about her mom's death
) and the same goes for Sera too. While
she might give Valerie a chance, I doubt she'd be as open as to suddenly have her "papa" as a bf material, no?
Another note I'd love to add, even though it may seem minimal(?), but I really liked how you named the characters. It was so...er, exotic(?) haha and just fit right in. I mean, most of the time you see dating VNs out there that has Japanese names, then suddenly English or even French/German surnames which is just weiiiird (unless that character's from that specific country). Also I agree that a gallery and extras would be a great addition! :D

Anywho, so far I've gotten 7 endings - Nikolaos, Jezu, Reuben, Valerie, King Kallias, No One <---
(all of them Arken not dead)
, then s:
Arken dead
. What are the other endings? o.o

e: A mistake I've found in the game, when you choose Nikolaos' path and Arken is
dead
when Nikolaos & Sera kiss in the end, you wrote 'I find myself kissing HER back" instead of "him".

storykween
Regular

#14 Post by storykween »

Anomandaris wrote:I've only gotten the Reuben and Jezu endings so far. My favorite of the two was Reuben, since his story seemed a bit more fleshed out
Indeed; in my mind Reuben's is actually the "canon" ending. I plan to revisit these characters in one of my "Broken Balance" novels eventually, and all the characters will be in the state of the Reuben ending 8)

Also, thanks for pointing out the bug about the necklace! My "if" statement needed to be tweaked there, apparently!
Hachiko wrote:I didn't think you'd thought of putting Arken's path though!
Here's the last that I'll say about that :|
I steered clear of it--or any suggestions/development of it--for the obvious "gross" factor and also because, indeed, that would be a bumpy road for both characters, to say the least. When I say that it was a valid consideration dramatically, my point is that Arken's obsession with Serafina is meant to be a bit... unhealthy on various levels. After all, if he'd had his way Serafina would have stayed isolated in the jungle with him for the rest of her life. How exactly did he expect that to go? He's also a man with pretty cloudy morals in general. But in the end, he does want the best for Serafina, whatever he may see that to be.
I'm glad you liked the names and character designs :D It took me awhile to feel decent about illustrating my own characters because I never feel like I do justice to what's in my head. So that's really nice to hear! With lots and lots of practice, I think I'm getting closer all the time to drawing them as I envision.
Hachiko wrote:What are the other endings? o.o
Here's what I meant by 10+ endings:
1 ending for each romantic interest (so Reuben, Nikolaos, Jezu, Valerie, Kallias) then times 2 for whether or not Arken is alive, because I wrote slightly different versions of those endings depending on whether or not Arken lived. So you've basically seen them all! :D
Hachiko wrote:When Nikolaos & Sera kiss in the end, you wrote 'I find myself kissing HER back" instead of "him".
Oh dear :oops: Thanks for telling me! *Rushing to fix now*

Thanks again for all your tips and comments!!

nancie
Regular

#15 Post by nancie »

I played this through and loved it. I really am a sucker for the traditional girl pursues boy stories, and this one was very entertaining. I loved the artwork and the plot. The only disappointing thing for me was the lack of variation in the paths, all the scenes were basically the same for each character. I don't usually mind this in the main story line but in the intimate scenes I think each character should really have a unique set of lines. Of course this is just my two cents :wink: I also love to view the gallery at the end of each path I would have loved to see one in yours. If it is just a matter of needing help with the gallery coding I'd be happy to lend a hand, feel free to PM me if you'd like some help. Anyway nice work, I really enjoyed your story and I look forward to your next release.