Rising Angels: Reborn

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
khfan12
Regular
Completed: Clarity, a MH KN
Projects: "With You", Truculence

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#16 Post by khfan12 »

I will download and go through it when I'm able to do so! ^^
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Clarity - MH KN- Solo Project
Projects:
With You (working title) - Lead Writer/Concept/ETC
Truculence- Concept Artist, Proofreader

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#17 Post by Samu-kun »

Officer Samu, reporting in after obtaining 3 endings.
In terms of the story, I thought the beginning was on the more boring side. The little slice of life scenes of the crew eating and just generally hanging out without accomplishing much did not seem to mesh well with the genre during the opening minutes of the story. The warp sequence at the beginning was really weak, consisting of nothing but the scene going to black. Considering the first jump to warp has a mythical place in science fiction, I thought a CG would have been more appropriate. Thankfully, things gradually got more interesting once we got involved with a plot involving missing researchers. Things finally became exciting once we discover the researchers found something which can change the face of the galaxy - although maybe you should have hinted at this sooner, just to make the beginning more interesting.

The plot goes into full gear once we find out there's a spy on board the ship, the ship loses power, and the mutiny happens. Because, well, what good is a starship without a good old fashioned mutiny. The exciting stuff happens mostly in the second half of the story, so I think adding a little bit of excitement to the beginning would have been better.

I didn't like that shooting that traitorous doctor leads to an unceremonious bad end. C'mon, why can't we shoot his brains out on the bridge? He's a spy for the enemy, has been sabotaging the operation from the beginning, corrupting the crew, got the commander killed, and is a perv to top it off. I don't think anyone will regret giving him his due. So I think the ending for executing the doctor should have been more fleshed out, instead of just slapping the reader with a "I regret everything" ending.

Overall, I thought the story was competent, but not exactly the sterling star of this show. There's a lot of allusion to a bunch of much better content that may or may not happen in the next game. The story I want to see is mentioned, but not in the game. Intergalactic intrigue, space battles, and ancient weapon of mass destruction, sounds all very good, but are notably absent in this plot. So will there be a space battle and weapons of mass destruction in the next game? This felt more like one of those low budget mid season episodes in Star Trek which allude to something that's going to happen in the season finale. But I don't really know if there's going to be a season finale at this point, so you can color me a bit disappointed this wasn't quite as grand of a journey as I hoped.

The technical quality of the character art was top notch. I thought Sol could use a few more poses though, since the man was looking at me from the side the entire game. Jeez, can't you bear the look at me straight!?

I didn't like some of your character designs though. Zuri, Al, and Stan are quite strange designs, but not entirely original either. (Demon, Angel, and Dragon) I mean, it's not like any of the other designs are any more original, but I thought the Demons, Angels, and Dragons just didn't mesh with this genre well. They stood out as not really fitting visually with the rest of the cast. Al and Stan should probably go back back to their Biblical story, and Zuri should be in a Japanese RPG.

I thought Resoona had the best design out of the crew. Sol, Faye, and Kika had good designs, mostly because they didn't look so out of place.

I thought some of the characters might have been overkill. Al and Faye don't really play a big role in the story. Maybe you could have cut some characters to make more budget for better backgrounds on the away missions, or the aforementioned warp CG.

Finally, I really wonder why you didn't make the sprites dissolve. It seemed like an unprofessional miss, in an otherwise polished presentation.

Overall, the game was competent, with the technical quality of the character sprites standing out as the star of the show. The story begins weak, gets better, but ends before it reaches its full potential. I hope there will be a next installment, where we see more action and adventure, and less build up.

Chibichann
Regular

#18 Post by Chibichann »

wow the game is sooo complicated,i wish if it could have a walkthrough

Trixar_za
Regular

#19 Post by Trixar_za »

Officer Trix reporting in after obtaining all 5 endings and all 7 CGs. (Sorry Samu-kun, I just had to steal that... :lol:)

It was a pretty good game if you can get over the slow start and the rare spelling or grammatical error. I did kind of guessed the 'twists', but generally it was pretty good. I agree with Samu-kun that the game ended way too early. On the upside, this game took me way more than 4 hours of straight up playing to finish - but maybe I'm just a slower reader :wink:

On a technical side, I couldn't run this game in fullscreen and it would be nice to be able to access the database and CGs from the the main menu. Hopefully that will be fixed in the voiced version. On the upside, I couldn't get the game to crash :lol:

Great Job Komi :D
Chibichann wrote:wow the game is sooo complicated,i wish if it could have a walkthrough
Check out the unofficial walkthrough I made @ http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 66#p296666

EDIT: Moved the mini-guide to the Walkthrough forum
Did you just copy and past this to see what it said?

Einherjar

#20 Post by Einherjar »

Officer Ein reporting for duty, sir. All endings obtained. I thought it was really fun to play(and I may or may not be hooked on the song playing on the main menu), and I also didn't really see too many mistakes, aside from a couple of wrong words here and there.
KomiTsuku wrote:The game is complete and it was intentional. While there are a decent number of scenes highlighting Sol and Natalie's close relationship (and potentially more), I decided to remove different romantic routes. This is not a dating sim. This is a story of adventure. I know choosing the love interest is a selling point to VNs, but I want the focus not to be on that. I wanted to keep the focus on the what was happening. Love is a piece of any good adventure, and it may evolve in ways you don't yet see.
Does Zuri see Natalie or a surrogate Akurel? Can Natalie keep trying to be something she isn't?
But I want it to be woven into the story, not the title feature.

I know not having it is disappointing, but it is a direction I want to take the series and VNs in general.
Okay, that makes sense, I thought maybe I was just doing something wrong when I was making my choices. xD

piratequeen
Projects: Absolute Brightness: The Afterglow of Love
Tumblr: divinetacos
Deviantart: divinechihaya

#21 Post by piratequeen »

is it GxG or GxB
I was created to create.

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#22 Post by distorsion »

I highly suggest a patch to fix the grammar mistakes. For such a lovely game there is a disturbing number of missing or misused words.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#23 Post by KomiTsuku »

marimo wrote:Downloaded and playing...and at the moment, KYLIE IS THE CUTEST THING EVER.
Waaaaaaaay too adorable for something I wrote.
Fenrir34 wrote:Congratulations of getting your game out on time :D . I've played the first part and it's turning out well. Love the art by the way. Very beautiful :D
Glad you like it. ^_^
In terms of the story, I thought the beginning was on the more boring side. The little slice of life scenes of the crew eating and just generally hanging out without accomplishing much did not seem to mesh well with the genre during the opening minutes of the story. The warp sequence at the beginning was really weak, consisting of nothing but the scene going to black. Considering the first jump to warp has a mythical place in science fiction, I thought a CG would have been more appropriate. Thankfully, things gradually got more interesting once we got involved with a plot involving missing researchers. Things finally became exciting once we discover the researchers found something which can change the face of the galaxy - although maybe you should have hinted at this sooner, just to make the beginning more interesting.
Yeah, the beginning was slow. I tried improving things from the original draft of those scenes, but it still wasn't enough. I'm glad to say that the next installment starts off with a cup of tea and a high speed chase with gunfire.

CG weren't even originally planned. This was supposed to be a nice, relaxing story. Then it exploded and became a full remake. The CGs were a last minute addition when sweet Nuge forced me to add them and Jason was drafted. Things turned out well. There were a lot of scenes that really needed CGs, but we had to hastily compile a list. Some things got left off, sadly.

Would you believe the testers said the complete opposite about that reveal? XD
I didn't like that shooting that traitorous doctor leads to an unceremonious bad end. C'mon, why can't we shoot his brains out on the bridge? He's a spy for the enemy, has been sabotaging the operation from the beginning, corrupting the crew, got the commander killed, and is a perv to top it off. I don't think anyone will regret giving him his due. So I think the ending for executing the doctor should have been more fleshed out, instead of just slapping the reader with a "I regret everything" ending.
That was going to be Sol's point. The rest of the ending will be added in the extended/voice version.
The technical quality of the character art was top notch. I thought Sol could use a few more poses though, since the man was looking at me from the side the entire game. Jeez, can't you bear the look at me straight!?
He's just a little shy. :P
I didn't like some of your character designs though. Zuri, Al, and Stan are quite strange designs, but not entirely original either. (Demon, Angel, and Dragon) I mean, it's not like any of the other designs are any more original, but I thought the Demons, Angels, and Dragons just didn't mesh with this genre well. They stood out as not really fitting visually with the rest of the cast. Al and Stan should probably go back back to their Biblical story, and Zuri should be in a Japanese RPG.

I thought Resoona had the best design out of the crew. Sol, Faye, and Kika had good designs, mostly because they didn't look so out of place.
My love of Kemonomim shines through again.
Finally, I really wonder why you didn't make the sprites dissolve. It seemed like an unprofessional miss, in an otherwise polished presentation.
The way it was coded prevented that. It uses

Code: Select all

n doori "Hello!"
and unless someone can tell me otherwise, I can't dissolve those lines. In retrospect, I could have dissolved the sprites in though. Oh well, live and learn.

Going to double post since this post is already long as hell.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#24 Post by KomiTsuku »

Trixar_za wrote:Officer Trix reporting in after obtaining all 5 endings and all 7 CGs. (Sorry Samu-kun, I just had to steal that... :lol:)

It was a pretty good game if you can get over the slow start and the rare spelling or grammatical error. I did kind of guessed the 'twists', but generally it was pretty good. I agree with Samu-kun that the game ended way too early. On the upside, this game took me way more than 4 hours of straight up playing to finish - but maybe I'm just a slower reader :wink:

On a technical side, I couldn't run this game in fullscreen and it would be nice to be able to access the database and CGs from the the main menu. Hopefully that will be fixed in the voiced version. On the upside, I couldn't get the game to crash :lol:

Great Job Komi :D
Chibichann wrote:wow the game is sooo complicated,i wish if it could have a walkthrough
Check out the unofficial walkthrough I made @ http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 66#p296666

EDIT: Moved the mini-guide to the Walkthrough forum
If you guessed the twists, you are absolutely brilliant. I left only a couple clues to indicate that... well... things are working on more layers than most readers give me credit for. Really. It bugs me so very, very much that everyone is taking the red herrings at face value when I left a few clues that there is more going on.
Hint: Does Stan really seem like the type who would just openly admit his guilt so easily?
That has been fixed for the voiced release.
NewMM.JPG
You can go ahead and call it official. I didn't think people would need one.
piratequeen wrote:is it GxG or GxB
The romance... if it can be called that... is between Natalie and Zuri, with some Nat/Sol overtones. Romance isn't the focus of the story. See my previous rants.
distorsion wrote:I highly suggest a patch to fix the grammar mistakes. For such a lovely game there is a disturbing number of missing or misused words.
If I say that English isn't my native language, would everyone be lenient on me? (I speak 'Merican) No, this is actually draft #1, except for the opening. Since I had to go on my travels and am not able to upload, it was released in a less polished condition. If anyone wants to lend me some aid, I always could use a set of eyes on my script.

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#25 Post by fioricca »

Ahhh I feel awkward and nervous to be posting here again after so long but I did promise comments and a little something

Anyway, hi everyone! I'm Nuge, the sprite artist. I'd just like to thank all those who tried/played RA:Reborn as well, it means a lot. Thank you also to those who provided feedback on the quality of the art! I'm aware that I still have plenty of shortcomings so they'll go far in helping me improve! I'm really honoured that the sprites are received well so far. Before I address Samu-kun's comments, let me just knock out my thoughts on the game after playing it.

Komi already knows my thoughts on the story, so I'll keep it brief. On the whole, I feel that the story lacks cohesion, but I understand that this is because you originally wanted this game to be a dating sim. It was only after you finished writing Zuri's route that you decided to turn it into an adventure game (which, I hope you understand, is a win) but quite a lot of the key scenes were Zuri-centric -- even the CGs are mostly Zuri-related! I understand that this is due to that last minute change and there's nothing we could do about it -- CGs were done, script's been written (except for Sol's half... ;_;) and all -- but nonetheless it feels like the story jumped off from adventure to dating sim and back again, which was weird in some parts. That aside, though, the story is well-fleshed out and I enjoyed it despite not being a sci-fi fan much.

As for presentation, I couldn't get over the lack of transitions and all the times when we had more than three sprites on screen. I don't think it's necessary to show all the characters present in that scene altogether. Dissolving them in as they speak would have been fine and it would have been better.

I LOVE THE MUSIC. I love the music!! The sci-fi tracks you picked are all wonderful! I especially loved the BGM that plays when Nat does her welcome message. Combined with the awesome background art, the mood was set really well and I felt so happy to have it accompany my sprites. *__* I lament the lack of sounds, though. If we had sounds for whenever they landed/warped/knocked on doors etc, the game would have been so much better. I mean the UI has sounds and it made a really huge difference.

People might call my comments biased as I'm part of the team after all, but in short, it was a fun game and I hope you are proud of this release. :D

Samu-kun wrote:The technical quality of the character art was top notch. I thought Sol could use a few more poses though, since the man was looking at me from the side the entire game. Jeez, can't you bear the look at me straight!?

I thought some of the characters might have been overkill. Al and Faye don't really play a big role in the story. Maybe you could have cut some characters to make more budget for better backgrounds on the away missions, or the aforementioned warp CG.
Hi Samu, thanks for your feedback! Now that you mention it, those designs do look out of place! This is my first time doing anything related to sci-fi so I've yet to grasp that sci-fi feel. I'll be sure to keep this in mind should I get the chance to draw for RA again. I'm glad that you liked Resoona's design at the very least!

Finally, I'm wayyy too late, but here's the mizugi picture I promised:
0009 copy.jpg
I really need to go on a bishoujo bootcamp. OTL

Congrats once again, Komi. :D /scuttles off to play Anton's Vacation now

Trixar_za
Regular

#26 Post by Trixar_za »

KomiTsuku wrote:If you guessed the twists, you are absolutely brilliant. I left only a couple clues to indicate that... well... things are working on more layers than most readers give me credit for. Really. It bugs me so very, very much that everyone is taking the red herrings at face value when I left a few clues that there is more going on.
Hint: Does Stan really seem like the type who would just openly admit his guilt so easily?
I'm only good at guessing plots twist because I've read A LOT of books (like over a thousand) in the last 5 years, so I've gotten pretty good at picking up on hints and foreshadowing. General rule: If something is weird or too obvious in the story, it's related to a twist. That said, there were a few things that have been bothering me:
Al: Where the hell did he go during the Commander/Stan take over of the ship? He's shown his loyalty to the Commander, so clearly he would be on their side in a take over. He also seemed way too passive while the power of the ship was running out except when he informed the Commander of their plans when they wanted to put in the other crystal in the reactor - maybe he had friends on the outside that would save him and he knew that he won't be saved if they used that crystal and his allies got their engines fried...
Kylie: Why would she make such a mistake about the power? She's clearly an Engineer while Sol is just a glorified Pilot. Maybe she knew more than she let on. The way she wanted the crystal was also suspect - maybe she knew what it was all along...
Commander: Why did her hate for Natalie pop up? Somebody clearly rallied her against Natalie using her own bias against her.
Zuri: She said Stan asked her weird questions. I wonder what those were...
Stan: Well, he clearly knew what the crystal was and how it worked... but he comes from a VERY old Race with very LONG lifespans - older than any of the others on the ship anyway. He may have actually seen it used before or have a family member that did and told him about it. Why would he admit he did it? Because he's an arrogant dick like that...
KomiTsuku wrote:That has been fixed for the voiced release.
Cool. The Fullscreen error seems to be a bug in Ren'py. I've reported it, so PyTom will probably get to it when he can.
KomiTsuku wrote:You can go ahead and call it official. I didn't think people would need one.
Done. I only kept track of the endings for my own benefit, but then somebody asked for a guide and I said what the hell. With some tips from the guys on IRC, I turned it into a proper one.
KomiTsuku wrote:If I say that English isn't my native language, would everyone be lenient on me? (I speak 'Merican)
My Native Language is Afrikaans. Considering how many errors I make in posts and on IRC, I fear for the day I have to release a game that will literally give grammer and spelling nazi a heart attack...
Did you just copy and past this to see what it said?

AngelicReckoning
Projects: Shining Light

#27 Post by AngelicReckoning »

My favorite character interactions in this were the moments with Zuri and Natalie. I liked the dynamic they seemed to have together, and I wasn't expecting the reaction when she touched the crystal to cause the ship's Bellino's to go out. xD All in all, I like how it didn't rush us into the story but eased into it, and then picked up the pace. I really like the game. Also, the art is lovely.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#28 Post by KomiTsuku »

AngelicReckoning wrote:My favorite character interactions in this were the moments with Zuri and Natalie. I liked the dynamic they seemed to have together, and I wasn't expecting the reaction when she touched the crystal to cause the ship's Bellino's to go out. xD All in all, I like how it didn't rush us into the story but eased into it, and then picked up the pace. I really like the game. Also, the art is lovely.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Zuri and Natalie were a fun pair to write. Not my absolute favorite (Anton and Sora dynamics are easily my favorite), but they rank pretty high up there. However, I might be preparing to throw a... golden... wrench into their relationship soon...

twilightworks
Projects: celestial underground

#29 Post by twilightworks »

This looks awesome and I'm going to give it a go.

Congrats on finishing. :)

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#30 Post by RunicV »

I have to say, I started playing the game expecting to dislike it, but I really enjoyed the game.

I'm really glad that there's such a diverse range of ending types, and that it doesn't just stick to the dating sim mold. The endings being story-related was really great. I quite disliked the mash-up of throwing in character development during serious action scenes, it quite annoyed me. I was more invested in the story rather than the characters. While the beginning was a bit slow and confusing, it was definitely better than the beginning of Rising Angels: Red Rose. The characters all struggling for their lives and withholding information was very believable, and it definitely helped the conflicts near the end.

I have to admit that I didn't care at all about the in-game world, so most of the stuff they talked about was just lost on me and it was a bit of a bore. I skipped a lot of the stuff or just read it without knowing what was going on.

Some things I didn't like were that some endings weren't fleshed out at all. They had the feel of just a bad end, and most choices were bunched up at the end to decide the endings. I thought they would be more spread out during the course of the story. While that made it easier to progress, I just thought it was a weird choice.

The music was nice to hear, but one thing I wondered was why there was no sound effects. There was a severe shortage of them, and for seeing static sprites and backgrounds all the time, it was really boring. The CGs also lasted for very short amounts of time, so it felt like they were wasted potential. They were definitely a nice touch, but I felt they could have been used in some other instances.
Eg. when Zuri hugs Kika, it felt like a waste to put a CG there and not one showing Rasoona's death. It would have made more impact in the ending where you kill Stan.
I quite disliked the characters in this game. It didn't help that the times for character development were slotted in at times when you really had to care about the plot and not the characters.
I did quite like how Sol was flawed yet had his good points. I thought he was a very well-rounded character. It was annoying how you never actually find out what happened between Lenna and Faye if you haven't played Red Rose. If you did play it, it was just a hindrance because you already knew what happened, so it was kind of stupid.
I hated Stan and Kylie, but I think that's intended. I don't know what I'm supposed to think of them, but Stan and Kylie were just the canon annoying dysfunctional pedo couple. Stan was just a creep and just irritating and a pain in the butt, and darling, just because you try to bribe me with a tiny box of steak, that's not going to stop me from killing you. Kylie didn't look cute to me at all, and was just a pain in the neck. Her being in a position of power aggravated me more, but since they're villians, that's kind of what they're supposed to do, so yeah job well done. They did a good job of providing conflict and aggravating the reader.
Zuri was plain-out-annoying for me, since she kept moping, but her helping out and saving lives throughout the plot definitely made up for it. Al was okay, but what irks me is how he has little to no relevance to the plot, and disappears near the end to never be mentioned again. I couldn't really care more about her backstory, but I thought a CG of the picture would have helped with her explaining her backstory.
Rasoona was an interesting character, but it saddened me that she wasn't further involved, and just reduced to hating SITO and being killed off. I felt she lacked development and had the most potential to be developed. It didn't help that she only ever appeared at the bridge, and never actually joined in the rest or moved anywhere. She felt really flat. She was really cool at the beginning, though.
I liked the Natalie due to her wit and courage to keep rising despite the ton of problems piled on to her. I found the scene where she overrides Rasoona as command my favourite scene, as previously before all she had been doing was to speculate and try to focus on just reacting to what the others did to her. I felt she was a pretty decent character, but she didn't really stand out to me. I quite enjoyed her relationship with Sol, in Red Rose he was just an asshole, but here he's actually fleshed out and quite nice, and he pulled his weight in the story. He was the no-nonsense guy, and I really wanted to laugh and cry when he withheld information of them going to die.
Al and Faye just... disappeared halfway. I don't even know what they were there for??? If I hadn't played Red Rose, I would have been weirded out by Faye. She doesn't really serve any purpose except for hinting at Sol's past, and Al too doesn't help. They were both interesting characters, one who looks like an angel and prays to God (lol), and one really experienced with nature. Too bad they weren't relevant.
I thought the art was really nice, although it lacked highlights for the characters and was a really boring black spaceship, but what I'm creeped out is the weird anatomy sometimes. Stan had a gigantic body compared to his head, and to the other characters, he practically towered over them, with his wings taking more space than my eyes could tolerate. The fact that he was often paired up behind Kylie just made him look like some demon pedophile. Sol also suffered from being a relevant character but having little sprites. The normal resolution was also terrible to read without straining your eyes, since you could clearly see the characters were at a higher res. and then scaled down, but that made it in fullscreen much pleasant. *u*

I quite liked the GUI, and the side images definitely made it faster to read, but... it also looked a bit stupid at times, and kind of outshined the sprites on the screen. Zuri, Al and Stan were also ridiculously annoying when their wings covered text, it made me want to flip a table despite the text being readable over their images. It was readable, but not nice to the eyes. I loved the use of ATL with the menus, though, it was a really great touch.

The backgrounds were nice, although I thought it weird that they weren't as defined as the sprites. It really weirded me out, but I suppose it did help in focusing on the characters. Rasoona's hair was practically one with the background, though.

There were a few mistakes with the spelling or grammer, and I ran into a few problems with code once or twice, something about Zuri not being defined. I ignored them and went on. It wasn't anything aggravating, I was just surprised that it was there in such a polished game.

All in all, it was a really nice read/play. I quite enjoyed it despite the heavy information overloads. I'm looking forward to your next game!

<3
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.