Rising Angels: Reborn

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Message
Author
User avatar
fioricca
Veteran
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:17 am
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#31 Post by fioricca » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:26 am

RunicV wrote:I thought the art was really nice, although it lacked highlights for the characters and was a really boring black spaceship, but what I'm creeped out is the weird anatomy sometimes. Stan had a gigantic body compared to his head, and to the other characters, he practically towered over them, with his wings taking more space than my eyes could tolerate. The fact that he was often paired up behind Kylie just made him look like some demon pedophile. Sol also suffered from being a relevant character but having little sprites. The normal resolution was also terrible to read without straining your eyes, since you could clearly see the characters were at a higher res. and then scaled down, but that made it in fullscreen much pleasant. *u*
Replying to this really quickly to say that Stan's size was intentional -- I wanted to emphasize his, um... demonic prowess... and antagonist status, so in my head he was really big, tall and well-built. I must have done something wrongly somewhere if he ended up looking inconsistent and pissing people off though |D";; As for Sol, I didn't think that he's an expressive person but having him stare at you from the side throughout the whole game must have been aggravating. XD Terribly sorry about that, I'll keep this in mind. Thank you for taking the time to point it out!

User avatar
Trixar_za
Regular
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41 pm
Location: South Africa
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#32 Post by Trixar_za » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:19 am

Just looked up what the title song is and it's Lights Out Dancing's Broken Compass, right?
Did you just copy and past this to see what it said?

User avatar
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 pm
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#33 Post by KomiTsuku » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:31 pm

RunicV wrote:Some things I didn't like were that some endings weren't fleshed out at all. They had the feel of just a bad end, and most choices were bunched up at the end to decide the endings. I thought they would be more spread out during the course of the story. While that made it easier to progress, I just thought it was a weird choice.
A lot of the thinner endings were tied to Sol. While the alt Stan ending seems sparse, that's because it is lacking the next part of it where Sol helps Natalie get over what she did and, like most of the readers think as well, that Stan had it coming. With the Sol route cut, it removed some of those scenes.
The music was nice to hear, but one thing I wondered was why there was no sound effects. There was a severe shortage of them, and for seeing static sprites and backgrounds all the time, it was really boring. The CGs also lasted for very short amounts of time, so it felt like they were wasted potential. They were definitely a nice touch, but I felt they could have been used in some other instances.
SFX didn't make it in due to timing issues with me going on the road and being unable to do uploads, which drove our release date and the amount of time I had to add things in. It is another thing being added in the voiced version. As for the CGs, there was no intention to add CGs until near the end. I threw together a list and some things got left off while others got added that could have been passed.
Zuri was plain-out-annoying for me, since she kept moping, but her helping out and saving lives throughout the plot definitely made up for it. Al was okay, but what irks me is how he has little to no relevance to the plot, and disappears near the end to never be mentioned again. I couldn't really care more about her backstory, but I thought a CG of the picture would have helped with her explaining her backstory.

...


Al and Faye just... disappeared halfway. I don't even know what they were there for??? If I hadn't played Red Rose, I would have been weirded out by Faye. She doesn't really serve any purpose except for hinting at Sol's past, and Al too doesn't help. They were both interesting characters, one who looks like an angel and prays to God (lol), and one really experienced with nature. Too bad they weren't relevant.
Yeah, there was a planned CG of the photo. Once again, timing was the kicker.

I'm probably tipping my hand too far at this point by saying that Al played an incredibly large role, you just have to look past the narrator bias and ask some questions. Some of Trixar_za's questions were steps in the right direction. Faye, on the other hand, doesn't play much of a role in this story, I admit. However, she plays a larger role in the series. This is only the first hand of the shoe, we've still got more hands to play in this game. I very rarely make random decisions on adding characters just to have bodies. Sometimes you do need minor throwaway characters, which leads me to...
Rasoona was an interesting character, but it saddened me that she wasn't further involved, and just reduced to hating SITO and being killed off. I felt she lacked development and had the most potential to be developed. It didn't help that she only ever appeared at the bridge, and never actually joined in the rest or moved anywhere. She felt really flat. She was really cool at the beginning, though.
She lacked development because I had no intention on developing her. I know it is depressing to hear, but Rasoona was there literally because I needed somebody with little story importance in the captain's chair. It was the most depressing thing during development when everyone loved her.
The backgrounds were nice, although I thought it weird that they weren't as defined as the sprites. It really weirded me out, but I suppose it did help in focusing on the characters. Rasoona's hair was practically one with the background, though.
A bit of a tangent for me, but if you want to see that sort of effect in action, watch The Legend of Korra.
The fact that he was often paired up behind Kylie just made him look like some demon pedophile.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. Once I realized there was no way to save his character, I may have gone full out on making him as creepy and foul as possible...
I quite liked the GUI, and the side images definitely made it faster to read, but... it also looked a bit stupid at times, and kind of outshined the sprites on the screen. Zuri, Al and Stan were also ridiculously annoying when their wings covered text, it made me want to flip a table despite the text being readable over their images. It was readable, but not nice to the eyes. I loved the use of ATL with the menus, though, it was a really great touch.
Anyone who listens to me rant on IRC or twitter knows how much those wings were upsetting me. Having the text sit on top of the wings was the best compromise I could think up to make everything work. Side-by were an experiment, and I'm not sure it passed.
There were a few mistakes with the spelling or grammer, and I ran into a few problems with code once or twice, something about Zuri not being defined. I ignored them and went on. It wasn't anything aggravating, I was just surprised that it was there in such a polished game.
A Zuri image not being defined? That's a new one. If you remember roughly where it happened, that would help me immensely.
All in all, it was a really nice read/play. I quite enjoyed it despite the heavy information overloads. I'm looking forward to your next game!
I'm glad you enjoyed it and it exceeded your expectations, especially after The Red Rose. Work has already started (somewhat, I'm limited on what I can do while I the road) for the next one.
Trixar_za wrote:Just looked up what the title song is and it's Lights Out Dancing's Broken Compass, right?
That is correct. I didn't notice the music listing didn't transfer into the game until you mentioned that.

RunicV
Veteran
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 12:06 am
IRC Nick: RunicV
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#34 Post by RunicV » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Hmm, I believe the image not being defined happened in about the second half of the story? I never chose an option to talk to Zuri, so it happened during either the main story or when Zuri appeared in other people's cutscenes. It happened about from the time of a few scenes before the sandsharks, to just before the whole "starting to realize that maybe everyone is going to die" thing started.

"orz I know that's not really helpful, but I clear off almost all of my games to make space after 100%, I really don't know where it is. It's probably in your definitions screen though, since it was probably just a Zuri sprite that wasn't defined? The game went on fine without it.

<3
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

User avatar
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 pm
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#35 Post by KomiTsuku » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:24 pm

RunicV wrote:Hmm, I believe the image not being defined happened in about the second half of the story? I never chose an option to talk to Zuri, so it happened during either the main story or when Zuri appeared in other people's cutscenes. It happened about from the time of a few scenes before the sandsharks, to just before the whole "starting to realize that maybe everyone is going to die" thing started.

"orz I know that's not really helpful, but I clear off almost all of my games to make space after 100%, I really don't know where it is. It's probably in your definitions screen though, since it was probably just a Zuri sprite that wasn't defined? The game went on fine without it.

<3
It's incredibly helpful. There was a bug during development where one of the emotions wasn't able to find its sprite. I should be able to isolate it. You also helped me catch a major mistake I made in the new version that would have cause tons of crashes by looking for the definition.

Freshy Q
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:13 am
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#36 Post by Freshy Q » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:17 am

I just finished my first playthrough of the game. Front to back no pauses of any kind, for food, drink, restroom, or something as petty as sleeping before work. Wonderful work! I can't wait for a sequel! If there's anyway I could expedite such a release, please don't hesitate to ask for help of any kind!

User avatar
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 pm
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#37 Post by KomiTsuku » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Freshy Q wrote:I just finished my first playthrough of the game. Front to back no pauses of any kind, for food, drink, restroom, or something as petty as sleeping before work. Wonderful work! I can't wait for a sequel! If there's anyway I could expedite such a release, please don't hesitate to ask for help of any kind!
You're not helping with the rumor that I'm a bad influence. XD I'm really glad you liked it through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcement!
Two of them actually.

1. We are doing a fair bit of editing right now. Once that is finished up, we will be releasing the new GUI version as well as the Android version next week! There is no currently planned date on the voiced version.

2. Work has begun on the sequel to Rising Angels: Reborn, currently titled Rising Angels: Fates. Starting tomorrow, weekly updates will resume on our website. I'm not going to get too much into it right now, but some familiar faces from other works in the series (Anton's Vacation comes to mind...), might be taking to the stage with our dashing heroine, Natalie.

Sanae
Regular
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#38 Post by Sanae » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi, just want to compliment you on this great story! I'm not interested much in Sci-Fi at all, but I found the plot and characters to be very engaging, so I want to give huge props for you, especially for a freeware game!

I share Samu-kun's issue with the rather slow beginning, but once the conflict kicks in, I can't stop myself from reading! I really love Natalie, it's nice to have a heroine who isn't a typical character insert archetype. My other favorites include Sol and Kika, they seem to be very fleshed and interesting characters. I disagree that this story lacked spaceship fighting scenes or other typical Sci-fi stuff, because I don't think that was the point of this game: the point was really about the shipmates, not the adventures of space. While the game has a few typos, they aren't so jarring and aggravating, and I think not enough is said of the witty dialogue and verbal descriptions! The use of sci-fi concepts doesn't feel latched on, it seems to flow very well.

My opinion on Zuri is weird. I think her reactions are perfectly understandable, and I like her personality, but I guess there's only so much angst moments that a reader can work with before it becomes annoying, even if it is justified (and I'm speaking as someone who completely shares Zuri's low self-esteem problems!).

The sprites themselves are very gorgeous, as well as the backgrounds! (Though I find it a bit weird that Stan looks so typical seme-looking in sprite form, then suddenly looks less muscular and more bishounen in the CG XD).

I think my main complaint is the lack of dissolving or transitions with the character models, they move very accurately. My second main complaint would be
how expected it was that Stan was the main bad guy. Hmm devil horns, shady character, says assholish things... gasp, he's actually a bad guy?! I was hoping the whole time he was simply a red herring. Though it was a bit nice that he some human motives, but still.
Last edited by Sanae on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Trixar_za
Regular
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41 pm
Location: South Africa
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#39 Post by Trixar_za » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:12 am

Sanae wrote:
how expected it was that Stan was the main bad guy. Hmm devil horns, shady character, says assholish things... gasp, he's actually a bad guy?! I was hoping the whole time he was simply a red herring. Though it was a bit nice that he some human motives, but still.
According to KomiTsuku, Stan is actually a red herring and one or more of the other characters may have been the real puppet master - just note who's missing or not worried about things at key points in the plot...
Did you just copy and past this to see what it said?

User avatar
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 pm
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#40 Post by KomiTsuku » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 pm

Okay, I need to step in and start talking because everyone is misinterpreting everything and it is bothering me. This is a series and I didn't want to spoil all of my cards on the first deal, but... Some of these aren't spoilers, but I need to hammer them out again.

-There is a new GUI version. It has a gallery accessible with a single button click from the main menu. It also has transitions as well. It's been out for several weeks.
-Time to talk about the story. Everyone was disappointed that Stan was the villain and he was too obvious. I know several people mentioned that a lot of the things that happened were incredibly improbable, such the hacking of the security database and the lack of motivation by leadership to do anything about the saboteur. It's almost as if... someone in leadership might be corrupt! Gasp! Has anybody here ever heard of a front man? Someone there to be used as a cover? Did anybody notice that as Natalie started to get closer to the truth, Stan started being more and more obvious and over-the-top? Almost as if he wanted Natalie (and you, the reader) focusing on him instead of asking who could have been doing all of this...

Since Stan is just the frontman, then who is the actual villain? There are two members of this little ring. The first red herring that nobody went for is Rasoona. We've established that she has several grudges towards her leadership and is actively hoping that Natalie fails. It stands that she knows about the smuggling operations on her ship, but she does nothing to stop them. Things like security for Natalie and using their systems to help find the criminal aren't important to her because she's trying to get her revenge on the SITOs. While she is suspect, it isn't strong enough to put her as anything other than a disgruntled vice commander.

The real villain of this whole thing is the one I'm amazed nobody ever questioned. How does Rasoona and Stan get out of their lockdown? “Kylie!” Well, that was the conclusion that Natalie came to as well. It's wrong. It needs the shipmaster's approval to tamper with the server. “Sol?” That's still wrong. When Rasoona is relieved, the chain of command dictates that command goes to the next ranking person (basic command logic in every day life). While Sol is the executive officer of the ship, it is established early on through the options you all probably didn't pick that Alphonse outranks Sol. Which means... the real shipmaster of the Nimross isn't Sol Hackett, but Alphonse Tenzin. Which means...

Al is incredibly suspicious from the start. He is constantly asking questions, but how much do you really know about him? He rarely has an alibi and when he does, Stan doesn't. We see them together at critical moments, such as using the offboard communications. During the reactor scene, we see him pull out the stops to try and stop Natalie from completing her crystal swap. He brings in Rasoona, he argues against the crystal, and tries to guilt everyone with the coup. His actions are either of a loyal officer or a good conman. During the hijacking, Al is never accounted for. Since we can establish that he has command and is passively trying to stop the crew, we can come to the conclusion that he has the means, motive, and opportunity to do it. Kylie has the motive and opportunity, but you have to make a leap of faith in her abilities (which was established earlier that she couldn't tamper with the server) to get the means. As for motive, it's the same as his frontman. Alphonse is a spy, and a much better one than Stan.

And now he is left alone with the “villain” to tell the story of what happened on that ship...

The last villain isn't as easy to pick up since I was only laying the foundation in this story, but her role will come to light later on. Kika Starr is another character who acts odd. Throughout the first act, she's gruff with Natalie, but never does anything to try and hinder her. It seems like they are starting to get along. Suddenly, Kika is told that her parents are dead and she turns against Natalie. She tries to blame Natalie for things, starts breaking into her lab, and attempts to end the mission. While all of these actions are somewhat reasonable for a distraught kitsune, they seem a bit out of nature for the brave and forceful Kika. For those who played the first RA, you'll remember her as the type to hunt down a mystery, not just ignore a potential saboteur. Kika seems to go back and forth between sharing critical information with Natalie to forcefully shoving out truths. If you follow her minor route, you'll notice she's under immense amounts of external pressure. Her actions go back and forth between the strong heroine that she claims to be and holding back because of something. Perhaps her parents' deaths and the disappearance of Blade aren't simply a well-timed coincidence.
There are a lot more little things I hid in there, but I'm not going to spell them out. Give me some credit when it comes to writing. Nothing is ever as it seems in a mystery novel and I wasn't going to spoil the baddies until we got to the end. I'm just tired of everyone not taking a moment and trying to play connect the dots.

And now I am going to take some much needed time away from the EVN scene.

User avatar
AxemRed
Veteran
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 am
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#41 Post by AxemRed » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:59 pm

There is a new GUI version. It has a gallery accessible with a single button click from the main menu. It also has transitions as well. It's been out for several weeks.
The only way to know that is to read page 2 of this thread, correct? There's no indication of a 1.1 version in this thread's title, first post, download link, your blog or on vndb.
It's almost as if... someone in leadership might be corrupt! Gasp! Has anybody here ever heard of a front man? Someone there to be used as a cover? Did anybody notice that as Natalie started to get closer to the truth, Stan started being more and more obvious and over-the-top? Almost as if he wanted Natalie (and you, the reader) focusing on him instead of asking who could have been doing all of this...
That would make him a fall guy rather than a front man. For that to make sense there'd need to be a reason contained within the story for him to want to take all the blame. If there is one, I missed it. It also doesn't explain why he started acting suspiciously before Natalie discovered anything.

The real villain of this whole thing is the one I'm amazed nobody ever questioned. How does Rasoona and Stan get out of their lockdown? “Kylie!” Well, that was the conclusion that Natalie came to as well. It's wrong. It needs the shipmaster's approval to tamper with the server. “Sol?” That's still wrong. When Rasoona is relieved, the chain of command dictates that command goes to the next ranking person (basic command logic in every day life). While Sol is the executive officer of the ship, it is established early on through the options you all probably didn't pick that Alphonse outranks Sol. Which means... the real shipmaster of the Nimross isn't Sol Hackett, but Alphonse Tenzin. Which means...
The events as I understand them:
1. Natalie commandeers the ship. That means, as far as the computer is concerned she outranks Rasoona.
2. Natalie makes Sol shipmaster.
3. The shipmaster's password is required to get access to secure parts of the system.
The only way I can see Sol being overruled is if they forgot to make him shipmaster in the computers. But we know that's not the case from events that occur later.

Al is incredibly suspicious from the start. [...] His actions are either of a loyal officer or a good conman. During the hijacking, Al is never accounted for. Since we can establish that he has command and is passively trying to stop the crew, we can come to the conclusion that he has the means, motive, and opportunity to do it.
He doesn't have command, Sol has. There's also no established motive. It can't be proven that he isn't a spy, but I also found no evidence that he was.

User avatar
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 pm
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#42 Post by KomiTsuku » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:40 pm

AxemRed wrote:There is a new GUI version. It has a gallery accessible with a single button click from the main menu. It also has transitions as well. It's been out for several weeks.
The only way to know that is to read page 2 of this thread, correct? There's no indication of a 1.1 version in this thread's title, first post, download link, your blog or on vndb.
It's almost as if... someone in leadership might be corrupt! Gasp! Has anybody here ever heard of a front man? Someone there to be used as a cover? Did anybody notice that as Natalie started to get closer to the truth, Stan started being more and more obvious and over-the-top? Almost as if he wanted Natalie (and you, the reader) focusing on him instead of asking who could have been doing all of this...
That would make him a fall guy rather than a front man. For that to make sense there'd need to be a reason contained within the story for him to want to take all the blame. If there is one, I missed it. It also doesn't explain why he started acting suspiciously before Natalie discovered anything.

The real villain of this whole thing is the one I'm amazed nobody ever questioned. How does Rasoona and Stan get out of their lockdown? “Kylie!” Well, that was the conclusion that Natalie came to as well. It's wrong. It needs the shipmaster's approval to tamper with the server. “Sol?” That's still wrong. When Rasoona is relieved, the chain of command dictates that command goes to the next ranking person (basic command logic in every day life). While Sol is the executive officer of the ship, it is established early on through the options you all probably didn't pick that Alphonse outranks Sol. Which means... the real shipmaster of the Nimross isn't Sol Hackett, but Alphonse Tenzin. Which means...
The events as I understand them:
1. Natalie commandeers the ship. That means, as far as the computer is concerned she outranks Rasoona.
2. Natalie makes Sol shipmaster.
3. The shipmaster's password is required to get access to secure parts of the system.
The only way I can see Sol being overruled is if they forgot to make him shipmaster in the computers. But we know that's not the case from events that occur later.

Al is incredibly suspicious from the start. [...] His actions are either of a loyal officer or a good conman. During the hijacking, Al is never accounted for. Since we can establish that he has command and is passively trying to stop the crew, we can come to the conclusion that he has the means, motive, and opportunity to do it.
He doesn't have command, Sol has. There's also no established motive. It can't be proven that he isn't a spy, but I also found no evidence that he was.
There wasn't much of a fanfare for the new version since I've been busy as hell. I admit it wasn't well advertised, hence my reminding people that there was a new one.
I'm not saying Stan is some awesome person. He's a scumbag. He also is working hand in hand with Alphonse to steal information and corrupt KDF officers for the Empire. The reason he is taking the blame is simple. He's making sure that Alphonse remains in everyone's good graces. If Natalie were to investigate Alphonse and potentially catch him, then their whole operation could go sour. It's a partnership. Stan is willing to take the blame since everyone whose opinion matters to command is willing to exonerate him and blame Natalie. The only people who would back Natalie's version are Sol (her close friend) and Zuri (her budding romance).

No, all Natalie does is remove Rasoona from command. She names Sol the shipmaster, but all she ever does is remove Rasoona's access. Alphonse legally becomes shipmaster because he outranks Sol in the system, even though she unofficially names Sol shipmaster. Note that every time Sol needs to do something requiring the rank, Alphonse is the one that does it. His motive isn't completely clear at this point, I agree, but that's why this is only the first half of the story. I've spoiled parts of the next one as well.

User avatar
AxemRed
Veteran
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 am
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#43 Post by AxemRed » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm not saying Stan is some awesome person. He's a scumbag. He also is working hand in hand with Alphonse to steal information and corrupt KDF officers for the Empire. The reason he is taking the blame is simple. He's making sure that Alphonse remains in everyone's good graces. If Natalie were to investigate Alphonse and potentially catch him, then their whole operation could go sour. It's a partnership. Stan is willing to take the blame since everyone whose opinion matters to command is willing to exonerate him and blame Natalie. The only people who would back Natalie's version are Sol (her close friend) and Zuri (her budding romance).
I find that reasoning a little dubious. He'd still be accused of treason which would trigger an official investigation. Taking that much risk seems needless and uncharacteristic for him. The explanation also requires the reader to know about the second traitor, and I don't think there's proper grounds to assume a second person is involved based on what's told within the VN.

No, all Natalie does is remove Rasoona from command. She names Sol the shipmaster, but all she ever does is remove Rasoona's access. Alphonse legally becomes shipmaster because he outranks Sol in the system, even though she unofficially names Sol shipmaster.
That doesn't make any sense. Why would she name Sol shipmaster, but leave Alphonse - someone who openly questioned her coup - in charge? We're not shown the part where she reprograms the computer, so it's implied she does what she previously stated: remove Rasoona from command and put Sol in charge. You can't omit that scene, then later claim she did something contradictory and nonsensical.

User avatar
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 pm
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#44 Post by KomiTsuku » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:28 pm

AxemRed wrote:
I'm not saying Stan is some awesome person. He's a scumbag. He also is working hand in hand with Alphonse to steal information and corrupt KDF officers for the Empire. The reason he is taking the blame is simple. He's making sure that Alphonse remains in everyone's good graces. If Natalie were to investigate Alphonse and potentially catch him, then their whole operation could go sour. It's a partnership. Stan is willing to take the blame since everyone whose opinion matters to command is willing to exonerate him and blame Natalie. The only people who would back Natalie's version are Sol (her close friend) and Zuri (her budding romance).
I find that reasoning a little dubious. He'd still be accused of treason which would trigger an official investigation. Taking that much risk seems needless and uncharacteristic for him. The explanation also requires the reader to know about the second traitor, and I don't think there's proper grounds to assume a second person is involved based on what's told within the VN.

No, all Natalie does is remove Rasoona from command. She names Sol the shipmaster, but all she ever does is remove Rasoona's access. Alphonse legally becomes shipmaster because he outranks Sol in the system, even though she unofficially names Sol shipmaster.
That doesn't make any sense. Why would she name Sol shipmaster, but leave Alphonse - someone who openly questioned her coup - in charge? We're not shown the part where she reprograms the computer, so it's implied she does what she previously stated: remove Rasoona from command and put Sol in charge. You can't omit that scene, then later claim she did something contradictory and nonsensical.
I think he would consider the risk reasonable on two beliefs. One: That it is the word of a security officer who has lost rank in the past and a murderer with no evidence versus the word of several reasonable people. Two: He's banking on Natalie listening to her partner and running with the crystal or smashing it. With only people in the conspiracy to tell the story (Faye being the only person not biased, but not knowing anything that happened and dying), it doesn't matter what he says because the only story that command will hear involves Natalie being a traitor and trying to kill dedicated officers. While there is only a lot of circumstantial evidence and only one or two hard pieces of evidence to point at Alphonse at this point, it was going to get expanded upon when the KDF investigation team goes after Natalie in the second part.

The only thing Natalie ever does is make her declarations and revoke Rasoona's access. They then turn the ship back on and have a party. Everything else, such as Natalie giving herself command authority or making Sol the official shipmaster is never done. They're too busy celebrating their survival.

User avatar
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1023
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 pm
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas
Location: Somewhere
Contact:

Re: Rising Angels: Reborn

#45 Post by KomiTsuku » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:30 pm

And while we are back in a chatty mood, I want to take a moment to thank Geckos for the awesome fanart of little Zuri. ^_^
http://geckosart.tumblr.com/image/71999355516

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]