Mogar's Quest: Heart of the Magical Girls |Mac/Windows/Linux

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
peahat
Completed: Mogar's Quest: Heart of the Magical Girls!

Mogar's Quest: Heart of the Magical Girls |Mac/Windows/Linux

#1 Post by peahat »

Mogar's Quest: Heart of the Magical Girls!
Description: Mogar, a cute animal sidekick, is tasked with assembling a team of Magical Girls to protect the world. Unfortunately, it's not that easy to convince a normal high schooler to be a Magical Girl!

Play as Mogar and convince three reluctant girls to unlock their magic potential!

This game was made in under two months for the Magical Girl Jam (http://magicalgirljam.tumblr.com). I thought it would be fun to model my entry as a dating sim. Instead of trying to date cute boys/girls, you are a cute animal sidekick trying to convince girls to join you. <:

Features:
-Three different girls, each with their own reason not to join
-Five expressions for each girl
-Seven backgrounds
-Completely free!

Rough and rowdy
Rough and rowdy
Bubbly over-achiever
Bubbly over-achiever
Mysterious transfer student
Mysterious transfer student

hop u liek!
Last edited by peahat on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Mogar's Quest: Heart of the Magical Girls |Mac/Windows/L

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

:D Glad to see you finished! This is your stalker *cough* follower on tumblr wishing you the best!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

peahat

#3 Post by peahat »

Ahh, thank you so much!!

rainaria

#4 Post by rainaria »

My gosh, this was so fun to play with! The characters are so adorable and awesome - especially Lorna. Keep making these games, cause this was honestly the best ten minutes of my day, haha.

peahat

#5 Post by peahat »

Oh man, thank you so much for playing!! I really appreciate that!

AAAA I'm glad you liked it <: I'll keep making games! I'm still thinking of my next project, hehe

Thanks again

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#6 Post by Haze »

Wow, this was a nice little game. The way you designed it to be a little like a dating sim was nice, and the story flowed together well. I thought it would be "go to random school, get girl, repeat", but I was quite wrong. Since all the girls go to the same school, they interacted with each other, and that made the story quite enjoyable.
The only thing about the story that I didn't like is that, after the Hope Detector breaks, the one girl Candace mentions happens to be the right one. The odds of that are very, very slim; if the school has 1000 students, the odds are 1:998(1000-2 girls Mogar already found); if it has 250 students, the odds are 1:248...I found this part a little hard to believe.
Also, the way that the sprites stretched across the whole screen, meaning only one could be shown at a time, was a little weird.

Of course,these little issues can probably be explained by time constraints, so it's ok. Overall, good job!
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#7 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

This game was adorable. I loved how the characters interacted with and knew about each other. The story is well laid out, pacing is good, and the end made me happy.

My only complaint (if it can be called that) is that there wasn't any music.

peahat

#8 Post by peahat »

AAHH thank you so much for playing! And thanks for all the great feedback.
Haze wrote:
The only thing about the story that I didn't like is that, after the Hope Detector breaks, the one girl Candace mentions happens to be the right one. The odds of that are very, very slim; if the school has 1000 students, the odds are 1:998(1000-2 girls Mogar already found); if it has 250 students, the odds are 1:248...I found this part a little hard to believe.
Also, the way that the sprites stretched across the whole screen, meaning only one could be shown at a time, was a little weird.

Of course,these little issues can probably be explained by time constraints, so it's ok. Overall, good job!
Thanks so much for the feedback!
You know, it never actually occurred to me that that might be a problem :0 I mean, it is definitely unlikely in real life, but I had hoped make a story that was rife with lots of tongue-in-cheek anime/magical girl tropes and obviously not real life. For example, it's even less statistically likely that the three saviors of the planet are in the same country, much less the same SCHOOL. And Lorna and Candace both immediately know what magical girls are and have no trouble accepting that magic exists. I actually thought the furthest stretch in the game would be that a high schooler would be able to fix/alter a piece of alien or heavenly technology in an afternoon (even if she is the smartest kid in school). Given those liberties, I figured the Beautiful and Mysterious Transfer Student would be the obvious candidate for the last Magical Girl.
Of course, if I have to explain myself as a creator, I've already lost! If I were ever to revise the game, I might consider making the tropes come through a little more.

Re sprites: I am showing my n00b here, but it actually didn't occur to me to make sprites that could fit on the screen together 9___6 I haven't played many VNs besides Ace Attorney. That woulda been pretty useful, especially in the last chapter!
Flowers from Nowhere wrote:This game was adorable. I loved how the characters interacted with and knew about each other. The story is well laid out, pacing is good, and the end made me happy.

My only complaint (if it can be called that) is that there wasn't any music.
I'm with you on that music thing ): I'm definitely going to mess around with music and sound effects for my next game. Thanks for the feedback!

LofnBard
Projects: Herb Witch

#9 Post by LofnBard »

Fun game! I love how it turned around the trope as the animal companion, and the unlikely choice of candidates.
What I actually found difficult to believe in the story is that those three would have the highest amount of hope. They're all pretty self-absorbed. Perhaps potential for hope, or some other virtue would have made more sense. Anyway, thanks! :)