Nachtigal (otome/soft horror/vampires)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dawnfire
Regular

Re: Nachtigal (otome/soft horror/vampires)

#31 Post by Dawnfire »

What a brilliant game! I've yet to figure out the right affection points besides Ending 4, but otherwise I've gotten them all. And it has fantastic art, a really intriguing plotline with a dark edge, and a wonderfully levelheaded protagonist. I know Luca's character is a bit stereotypical, but he's so cute that I can absolutely forgive it. And Adrian was a little more interesting, and I loved
how the fourth CG was the reverse of the second
. But balancing that with terror was very well done. The choices weren't overly obvious, which makes for fun gameplay, but I do wish that it had been expanded in order to further character development and make the connections seem less rushed. And there are some elements of the good routes that seem to reflect Stockholm syndrome, but I think that only adds to the overall dark touch of the game. I can't wait for more games from Cyanide Tea!
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#32 Post by Camille »

distorsion wrote:I love the game so far, but I'm going to wait until I get all the ending to do a full review. Haaa, that may take a while, I just can't seem to get the third ending! I wonder what I'm missing? I suspect that I'd get it if I can figure out how to talk to Adrian when he's staring at the moon in the courtyard... Can anyone give me a little hint?
The way to the third ending is almost the same as endings four through six, but when she's sitting in her room on the next to last night, she gets a choice of "I don’t want that." or "Even so, I’ll stay here." Endings four through six are all from choosing the second response, so... :333
Dawnfire wrote:What a brilliant game! I've yet to figure out the right affection points besides Ending 4, but otherwise I've gotten them all.
Some people seem to think that the decisions where Miranda chooses where to go (courtyard, study, her room) add to affection, but they don’t. Those purely advance the story in certain directions. These are the four choices that add to affection:

Choice one: Keep running or Ask him for help
Choice two: Ask him straight-out or Make a joke out of it
Choice three: Luca was scarier or Adrian was scarier
Choice four: “Are you trying to hide something?” or "You’re going to be a good sport, aren’t you?"

I think when you see them lined up like that, it’s easier to guess at which ones give which guy affection points. Hopefully? XD The fourth one might be a little tricky but as long as you can get at least 2 of these “right”, you can easily get any of the endings.

Arcanum
Veteran

#33 Post by Arcanum »

AMAZING game. For some reason (probably because I'm a guro fan), I liked the bad endings much better than the happy ones... That makes me super excited for BCM, cause I was promised blood and gore *g* And so far with the vampire story you've really delivered it!
My favorite ending was the Pet one. SO GREAT. It made me more curious towards the vampire family, it makes me wish you'd really expand on that. I've really liked how the vampires have their little "human" obsessions - or quite not so human, in case of the experiments. I loved how dark and gruesome it was, I loved how Miranda was so broken she didn't dare not to drop the "Lord" when talking to Adrian.
jdsfgajkhsdgfaks I feel like otoge are so fluffy and happy, specially those that shouldn't be because they dwell with darker themes, but this one was all I could've hoped for in a vampire story!

On a totally unrelated note, though, I'm in a Win7 & this game made my computer run super slow, and I had trouble using the mouse for some reason (I can usually run heavier games with no trouble, so I'm wondering what that was?)

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#34 Post by distorsion »

Camille wrote:
distorsion wrote:I love the game so far, but I'm going to wait until I get all the ending to do a full review. Haaa, that may take a while, I just can't seem to get the third ending! I wonder what I'm missing? I suspect that I'd get it if I can figure out how to talk to Adrian when he's staring at the moon in the courtyard... Can anyone give me a little hint?
The way to the third ending is almost the same as endings four through six, but when she's sitting in her room on the next to last night, she gets a choice of "I don’t want that." or "Even so, I’ll stay here." Endings four through six are all from choosing the second response, so... :333
Ah sorry, I meant ending 4!
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Camille »

distorsion wrote:Ah sorry, I meant ending 4!
Here are the hints for ending 4 that I gave a bit earlier in the thread:
Camille wrote:To everyone having trouble on the elusive ending 4, it's the trickiest one to get, but I think I made the scene worth it. XD Endings 4 and 5 are achieved in almost the same way, but the deciding factor is the number of affection points you have with Adrian and/or Luca. You get ending 4 if their affection points are the same and if they’re different then you’ll get ending 5. Note: Their affection maxes out at four, so you need two points for each guy to trigger ending 4. As a hint, Luca prefers intelligent/prudent answers while Adrian prefers the more funny/witty ones.
Camille wrote:Some people seem to think that the decisions where Miranda chooses where to go (courtyard, study, her room) add to affection, but they don’t. Those purely advance the story in certain directions. These are the four choices that add to affection:

Choice one: Keep running or Ask him for help
Choice two: Ask him straight-out or Make a joke out of it
Choice three: Luca was scarier or Adrian was scarier
Choice four: “Are you trying to hide something?” or "You’re going to be a good sport, aren’t you?"

I think when you see them lined up like that, it’s easier to guess at which ones give which guy affection points. Hopefully? XD The fourth one might be a little tricky but as long as you can get at least 2 of these “right”, you can easily get any of the endings.
Hope that helps~

glamsam8

#36 Post by glamsam8 »

I must say that this game was absolutely fabulous, the first ending I got was the Luca end, and I thoroughly enjoyed that one, and I am almost tempted to say that it is my favorite, but I would have to say it's tied with another ending
Why have one, if you could have both if you know what I mean haha xD
Anyways. Contrary to what I've read of the comments so far, I felt that the pacing was great, and that it was just the right length to fully appreciate the story... I feel like fanfiction may come from this... and if someone else won't write it, I will. I really enjoyed the art as well, and I appreciated the "scary" moments in the game, though I wasn't freaked out at all... which should worry me a bit, shouldn't it? Goodness this is an extremely long post and I never write anything this long... oh well. This game was worth it, thank you so much for making it! And I am looking forward to whatever you come out with next!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#37 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Thank you for the kind comments everyone, it means a lot :)

I would be very interested in getting some feedback on the art. The sprites and BGs were done in a rush while I was in America, but I poured a significant amount of hours into the CGs and so I would specifically like feedback on them, especially given that they are one of my weak points.

I am not very interested in comments about anatomy since I'm generally aware of the issues and I am working on it by default.

Some things I would be interested in hearing about are:

- How did the CG fit in the scene?
- Did it illustrate the moment?
- Did they have an appropriate feeling of atmosphere?
- Did they help to invoke emotions?
- Were they interesting to look at? Why or why not?
- Did you think they helped with the narrative? Why or why not?
- Did you feel that the emotions expressed by the characters were genuine?
- Did you feel any cognitive dissonance between the image and text?
- Did the CGs connect well as a sequence when you were on a route as a way to progress the story?

And any other points you noticed and would like to comment on. Thank you very much for anyone who can help me out \^o^/

glamsam8

#38 Post by glamsam8 »

Err I'll try to answer these questions >.>
I think all the CGS fit the scenes extremely well. They were all true to the scene
They definitely helped illustrate the moment, filling in the gaps or confirming what I saw in my own imagination.
- Did they have an appropriate feeling of atmosphere?
Definitely.
The atmosphere was appropriately frightful for a few Luca and Adrian scenes, as well as for feast and pet, which left me a tad bit shaken. The 5th ending's CG was playful and definitely had the right atmosphere ^^
- Did they help to invoke emotions?
Sure they did. The one for Pet left me feeling extremely sad for her mental state and worried about what was to come for her. Feast perfectly depicted her gritty death, and how horrible it must have been since Miranda was not able to move at all during it (my assumption). I was excited for her to lead Luca away int a new world. Happy that here and Adrian, or Nachtigal himself I guess were together and that she could provide him something he did not have.
- Were they interesting to look at? Why or why not?
They were interesting to look at, know why? CAUSE THEY WERE GORGEOUS. No but really if you wanna get down to specifics, I really adore your art style anyway. The color palette that was used evoked a sense of a gothic era which really helped with the vampire bit.
Yup. Yup they did. They helped to illustrate key points in the story where feelings were being evoked and there was change in the characters.
Yup. All the emotions expressed in the sprites/CGs seemed to go along with the text, and seemed like they would be responses that each character would give.
Nope, no difference, the emotions expressed in the text went along great visibly with the images.
- Did the CGs connect well as a sequence when you were on a route as a way to progress the story?
Luca's CG's did. But I feel like there is one missing for Adrian. Like with Luca, you can see through the CG's that she goes from being a snack, to a willing participant(who he is beginning to care about), to someone he obviously cares about. Whereas is Adrian's it goes snack to snack to caring to lover. I mean this may have been intentional, considering how much more of a divide there is between Adrian and Luca personality wise. But I was kind of expecting a CG of a hug after he had told her that he remembered who he was... but that's just my own opinion
Ummmm I hope this huge mountain of text helps you? I did my best to answer the questions from my personal playthrough... so yeah ^^

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#39 Post by Camille »

Thanks again for all the feedback! We really appreciate it. ;-;
Arcanum wrote:On a totally unrelated note, though, I'm in a Win7 & this game made my computer run super slow, and I had trouble using the mouse for some reason (I can usually run heavier games with no trouble, so I'm wondering what that was?)
Did you try lowering the resolution of the game via preferences? That has helped some people who had that problem. ...Otherwise, in the future I think I'll try making the HD and regular versions of the game separate because perhaps Ren'Py doesn't like scaling down all those huge images. XD;

Dawnfire
Regular

#40 Post by Dawnfire »

The CGs were absolutely brilliant; gorgeous, appropriate for the moment, and possibly the best parts of the entire game. The expression in them seemed to have multiple layers of emotion compared to the standard sprite, and really pulled you into the dramatic moments. My only issue was the
second CG for Adrian, since I thought his expression should have been more conflicted (my misinterpretation?)
Writer/editor with native English skills and a bachelor's. Back after a longtime hiatus. Message if interested.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#41 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@glamsam8 Oh wow, thank you for the great response :D I'm very keen to get better at visual narrative with my CGs since I'm not that interested in just making them pretty (though I want to do that too). Getting feedback is a core part of that so I know what people are reading in the images to make sure it's matching with my intentions. Thanks again!

@Dawnfire, Thanks! This type of thing is very useful to know. Luca did come easier to me since I felt he had a clear progression that I was having trouble getting in Adrian's sequence. It's good to know the subtle feelings people have about them~

Chibichann
Regular

#42 Post by Chibichann »

:( You guys seem like very charitable people,i would really be glad to tell people abt this game,even though i cannot donate,as i do not have a credit card.

Kayber

#43 Post by Kayber »

I wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I'm not sure how I felt about the length - on the one hand, it was nice to see a well-developed game that could be played in an hour or less, but on the other I enjoyed the characters and would have loved to learn more about them. I guess that's a good problem to have, eh?

As for the CG's, I thought they fit in well with everything. My only complaint is that Luca especially looked very different in each of his CG's. Not totally at odds with each other, just...different. I thought Adrian's were drawn pretty consistently.

The fact that you made the vampires to be complex was something I appreciate as well. They didn't just sparkle, seduce, and all that crap. They were dark, able to kill without much thought, and they obviously look down on humans to the point where they have no qualms about what they do to them. It's a breath of fresh air. I usually hate games involving vampires because they've kind of become a mockery of what they used to be, but you've renewed my interest in them :P

So, at the end of all that, I'd like to say thank you for the lovely game and all the time you spent working on it!

Reverie Raven

#44 Post by Reverie Raven »

I downloaded this the other day and played through it to get all the endings in one sitting, which I guess isn't too impressive since it wasn't a particularly long visual novel, but I was really curious and couldn't resist!

I actually find it kind of funny because from what I've read people have had problems getting Ending IV and that is actually the very first ending I got without even trying ^_^;; (which is probably my favorite ending, just because it is so adorable XD) I especially loved the CG for it <3

I am going to fangasm just for a second (who am I kidding this whole post is fangasming)... The little phases of the moon "clock" in the top left corner *flail* I loved it. It's such a small little detail but it was perf.

I wanted to say that in terms of actual romance I preferred Luca, but honestly now I'm not even so sure. I loved them both.
...this might be why I liked Ending IV so much unfunf
I think in terms of depth and discovery as it were, Adrian's path is probably the best.
That moment when he confesses getting his memories back and tells you who he really is...
But gosh I love'em both.

I really liked Miranda, too. She cracks me up, ahahahaha *remembering her thing with the busts*... I could really appreciate how accepting/positive she remained throughout the whole ordeal, despite the circumstances.

To answer the questions regarding the CGs:

I think that they all fit really well and portrayed exactly what was going on in the scene.

Most definitely! I got a sense of just what Miranda was feeling/going through, and I think that the expressions were especially evocative
...like when Adrian flings Miranda down on the bed and he just has this menacing look on his face or Miranda's look of sheer surprise with Luca, and the sad endings were really gut-wrenching...oof, my feels.
- Were they interesting to look at? Why or Why not?
Yes ^_^;; Eye candy at it's finest. I'm trying to practice drawing more myself, so I found myself looking at all aspects (Anatomy, Clothing, Light/Shadows) for awhile just studying <3 I guess this may just be me not being great at anatomy but I didn't see any glaring issues with that (I know you said you weren't interested in comments about it but it looked fine to me!)

I believe they did, just because they matched up perfectly with what was going on in the narrative but being able to see it actually happening just made it all the more powerful and evocative.

Pffft Luca only possesses two emotions: annoyed and super annoyed! haha kidding :3
I do! Some examples of the ones I think did especially well in making them look genuine are Miranda's surprised/dazed expressions, Ending V... hell, they all did a really great job.

Nope, not at all.

Yup, for sure. You can definitely see the bond between them growing stronger through the CG's

One last fangasm moment but I really loved the music for the project as well, it really fit the mood and atmosphere, which really made it all the more immersive.

Great job all around! <3

I will say that if you were to ever expand on it I would love to see more with the Family :3

I admit that I am one of the folks who downloaded for free, and I only did so because my bank account was recently closed due to low funds/no activity. I can easily say that I would be willing to pay for this, probably upwards to 9.99. I just think that as a whole it was really polished and the presentation was spot-on. So yeah :)

Thanks for providing the community with a wonderful visual novel and I can't wait to see more work from you two!

Ugh sorry I kind of fangirled and ranted XD I WILL SHUT UP NOW
~ Matty

miss headache

#45 Post by miss headache »

Somehow the game doesn't seems to work correctly on my laptop.

It is very slow and when I wanted to update directX it showed me that an exeption occured with a lot of text.

The cursor doesn't shows what I want to click but a part from the screen from the upper left, depending on how you move the cursor.