Nachtigal (otome/soft horror/vampires)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Nachtigal (otome/soft horror/vampires)

#16 Post by MaiMai »

I got the Adrian End!! Short, sweet, maybe a little too concise, but hey short and good quality all around. Can't wait to dig more into the other routes!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LliiraAnna
Regular

#17 Post by LliiraAnna »

So, now that I've got all the endings, I can definitely say that I love this game. The characters are all nicely written, and I liked how there are elements of horror here and there despite the game being mostly fairly fluffy. This said, I kind of like the "bad" endings (pet and feast) more than the happy ones - the CGs have probably something to do with that. Adrians end felt a bit rushed though.

Oh, and Lucas smiling (grinning?) sprite is just <3 ))

Thanks for making such a nice game ~

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#18 Post by Camille »

To everyone having trouble on the elusive ending 4, it's the trickiest one to get, but I think I made the scene worth it. XD Endings 4 and 5 are achieved in almost the same way, but the deciding factor is the number of affection points you have with Adrian and/or Luca. You get ending 4 if their affection points are the same and if they’re different then you’ll get ending 5. Note: Their affection maxes out at four, so you need two points for each guy to trigger ending 4. As a hint, Luca prefers intelligent/prudent answers while Adrian prefers the more funny/witty ones.

trepiechick
Regular

#19 Post by trepiechick »

Jayisgames.com just wrote a review for this! So glad I requested it <3!
http://jayisgames.com/archives/2013/11/nachtigal.php

NoJoker
Regular
Completed: Sleepless Night series, Soulmates, TIWIWTD, TKABS
Projects: Legend of the Silver Fox, Sleepless Night 3
Deviantart: Massimow
itch: massimow
Discord: Massimo#3596

#20 Post by NoJoker »

Good job! The writing was superb, I think it was really scary in some parts and the CGs supported this. I loved the bloody parts in the CGs. Miranda was not really my favorite type of protagonist, but I liked her interaction with the boys. I like vampire stories and that's why the vampires were more important to me. Luca and Adrian kind of reminded me of Lestat and Louis (I can't put my finger on it why exactly, maybe because I watched "Interview with the Vampire" recently :D).

fantasygeeki
Projects: Fatal Alignments
Organization: Simulated Being

#21 Post by fantasygeeki »

I just finished all of the endings and I have to say that ending five was the most disturbing by far! One of my favorite things about the story was the humor in the writing. Overall, the VN was very polished in its design. I thought the CGs were nice, especially the bad ending ones. The only thing I didn't like was the music selection which was a little irritating at times. By hey; that's what volume control is for, right? All in all, it was very good.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by try10 »

Awesome game. It portrayed vampires so well! Everything is so well written. This game should have a second episode, or you could make another project with vampires since this was so good. :D I got all the endings except the 4th one. I need more hints. :D

Thank you very much for working so hard on this wonderful game.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#23 Post by AntiquedFae »

Please kindly forgive my -ahem- manner in this post. I just can't control my joy when it comes to this very specific genre. You have been warned.

I haven't played it yet, but I just want to say that the whole premise is just...so, so much love for me. I am using every ounce of resistance in my being to stop from tackling the game, you, and this whole forum in a massive embrace of giddy, geeky, semi-morbid girl love. In short, girl who wanders into a potentially haunted forest then ends up trapped in a castle with vampires? So. Much. YEEEESSSS!!! YesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesYES!! Ehehehehehehe!
...Give me a few minutes to calm down and I will play this. Hopefully without hyperventilating from extreme joy.

Also, a side note: I just completely terrified my sister by freaking out about this game. How did I ever get to become so excited about undead, blood-drinking monsters known for their intelligence and deception? Meh, whatever. I'm happy.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#24 Post by AntiquedFae »

I just finished playing four out of the five routes; it was a lot of fun! It is simple, in a way, but this definitely works for it in my opinion! It is cute in a bizarre, dangerous sort of way. The way Miranda handled the situation she was in was really unexpected and really interesting. I'm not completely certain if it would be a realistic response for most people if they were placed in a situation like this, but her attitude is refreshing. Especially compared to the fatalistic, melodramatic everything-is-dire attitude that tends to prevail in this genre--embarrassingly attached as I am to it,(waay too many Victorian Gothic novels) a change is always pleasant. :)
I also fell in love with the friendship between Luca and Adrian! It was something unexpected, as I was dreading another master/servant complex afflicted duo, so I was extremely happy with how their relationship turned out!

As for endings, the "With Someone" ones definitely seemed like they were much better to me, as they were generally happier and more detailed. I need to go back and try to get Adrian's ending now. The first one I got was Luca's.
One last thing I'm wondering about is names in the game. Two things about them: I know(from learning to sing "Silent Night" in German :roll: ) that "nacht" is German for "night". I'm curious about the meaning of "-igal" now. Forgive me if the answer to this is obvious, I am afraid I am not well-versed in many languages at all.
Second question about names! To my knowledge, Luca means 'light' while I think Adrian meant something like "bringer of darkness". If my presumptions are correct, was this intentional? My curiosity has been piqued. :P

Thank you so much for making this game, and offering it for free! It is very much appreciated~ It was a lot of fun to play! :D
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#25 Post by Camille »

AntiquedFae wrote:One last thing I'm wondering about is names in the game. Two things about them: I know(from learning to sing "Silent Night" in German :roll: ) that "nacht" is German for "night". I'm curious about the meaning of "-igal" now. Forgive me if the answer to this is obvious, I am afraid I am not well-versed in many languages at all.
Second question about names! To my knowledge, Luca means 'light' while I think Adrian meant something like "bringer of darkness". If my presumptions are correct, was this intentional? My curiosity has been piqued. :P
Originally we were going to call the game Nachtegaele… I can’t remember if we first decided to find a word that meant “nightingale” in a European language or if we were looking at a list of nobility and saw the name “Nachtegaele” on there, looked it up, and then found that it meant “nightingale”… Something like that! This was in July so my memory’s a bit hazy. XD;; Around when Auro was designing the logo, we decided to use an alternate spelling of Nachtigal to make things a little less complicated. Nachtigal is a German/Jewish alternate form of “Nachtigall” used for surnames.

And nah, the name meanings weren't intentional. We just picked names that we liked, really.

I'm glad you enjoyed (are enjoying? haha) the game. ^^ If you like Luca and Adrian's friendship, you'll probably enjoy Adrian's ending.
Last edited by Camille on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#26 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

The original name we had was 'Nachtegaele' which we picked from some nobility while researching (Camille found it, I was drawing) and what we called the vampire family. It didn't become the name for the game until a bit after because we couldn't think of anything else and I wanted to get the logo done. I suggested we change it to Nachtigal as well since it looked much nicer typed out and I thought would look better as a logo. Nachtegaele is the German word for Nightingale, and Nachtigal is a spelling variation. I settled into it pretty quickly once I read this:

'A poet is a nightingale who sits in darkness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds'

since I thought it sounded quite like an immortal vampire XD

I picked the name Luca because I liked the sound of it. Camille picked Adrian.

Hachiko
Regular

#27 Post by Hachiko »

Probably a bit off topic but wow! I knew the name 'cyanide' sounded familiar but I just couldn't put my finger on it...turned out you were the same guys who made 'The Elevator' huh! :D I was really expecting for that game to be longer!

Anyways, hope to see more of your stuffs! :>

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#28 Post by MaiMai »

And I 100%-ed it! Go me!!

I'll just give non-spoiler thoughts. I think I like both Lucas and Adrian, not sure if I prefer one or the other, but I definitely liked Miranda. There's something kind of tranquil about her despite being an optimist in her situation! The colors of the CGs and GUI were my fav and I liked the music choices. I think my only complaint (which is incredibly nit-picky sorry) is that the cursor had a drag to it I didn't like when moving across the screen. Shame too, it was a nice cursor design.

Overall, a good, short, sweet, game and you guys delivered on what you said this would be about. It makes me excited for what you're able to achieve with Swan Grimoire seeing as how that's gonna be your longer otome game in the works!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#29 Post by Akitsuki »

Oh my god thank you very much for this!! I'll play it this weekend!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#30 Post by distorsion »

I love the game so far, but I'm going to wait until I get all the ending to do a full review. Haaa, that may take a while, I just can't seem to get the third ending! I wonder what I'm missing? I suspect that I'd get it if I can figure out how to talk to Adrian when he's staring at the moon in the courtyard... Can anyone give me a little hint?
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!