Adventures of Prince Ivan 2.0 [VN](Fant/Adv)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: Adventures of Prince Ivan 2.0 [VN](Fant/Adv)

#61 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Lire wrote:Pfft, "don't choose wisely", aye-aye captain. 8)
And this is my review. :lol:
http://scan-vn.blogspot.com/2014/05/adv ... -ivan.html
Thank you for this game! :wink:
I'm so glad you liked my game enough to review it. Thank you!

On Ivan...
At Forgotten ending, Ivan slay three-headed dragon and married Tsar(ina) of Garden Valley. Oh i see, wait. Ivan can do that? When i think about it again, Baba Yaga must've done the most work.
Well, Ivan did the grunt-work; the slaying and stuff, but he did indeed have help from a certain grandmother.

on Elena...
It was rare to meet such heroine inside fairytale. but she was easy being lured by knowledge-thing.
Curiosity is Elena's biggest weakness.

On Wolfram...
How wonderful, wolfie~ But why does he ask Ivan's help, instead from Baba Yaga? Is she the one who curse him?
Yes. Baba Yaga and Wolfram both hint at this, but you have to read carefully to catch it.

On Baba Yaga...
And she said she is a semi-insane witch with a well-earned reputation for eating people. Seriously, with her oven?
Baba Yaga's house is Much bigger on the inside than on the outside. In addition to having far more than just one room in there, she has far more than just one Oven.

Thank you for playing!
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Azure_Flute
Regular

#62 Post by Azure_Flute »

love it
Do not disturb me

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#63 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Azure_Flute wrote:love it
Thank you!
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Tatty
Regular
Projects: Buyan

#64 Post by Tatty »

I was *going* to play and have a review for this today, but due to it being busier then I had planned, you'll have to know that your work actually jumped the queue of things I've to review in priority because ARE OUR MINDS AS ONE???

I -

PG

O-oh.... Okay.... : P

But seriously, Bilibin? Ura! That's all I'm going to say for now - I shall have a review for you this weekend, and you may freely remind me of such if I forget. : ) This looks amazing, just amazing. Ultra-amazing, even!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#65 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Tatty wrote:I was *going* to play and have a review for this today, but due to it being busier then I had planned, you'll have to know that your work actually jumped the queue of things I've to review in priority because ARE OUR MINDS AS ONE???
It jumped the queue in priority? Wow...
Tatty wrote:But seriously, Bilibin? Ura! That's all I'm going to say for now -
LOL! I recognized your icon right away. ;) If you're going to do the Firebird, you HAVE to have Bilibin. Well, that and Bilibin is one of my all-time favorite fairy tale illustrators.
Tatty wrote:I shall have a review for you this weekend, and you may freely remind me of such if I forget. : ) This looks amazing, just amazing. Ultra-amazing, even!
Thank you so much! I really hope the game lives up to your expectations.
-- Oh and, fair warning: this is NOT a Quick game. It takes more than 2 hours to play the whole thing.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tatty
Regular

#66 Post by Tatty »

The Firebird is an absolutely excellent tale, and as soon as I've done my evening once-over of the forums here, I'm looking forward to jumping right in! And I can promise I'll take my time - a good story is something to be enjoyed and savoured, not rushed! :)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#67 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Tatty wrote:The Firebird is an absolutely excellent tale, and as soon as I've done my evening once-over of the forums here, I'm looking forward to jumping right in! And I can promise I'll take my time - a good story is something to be enjoyed and savoured, not rushed! :)
I look forward to your thoughts.
-- Please don't carve me up too badly...

Tatty
Regular

#68 Post by Tatty »

The only thing carved up here will be an excellent feast of the kind that Tsar Dolmat would look upon in envy! :)

So, first thing's first. This plays fast and loose with the Firebird in a way that some people who are looking solely for an adoption of the ballet might not expect. I salute this, as that is what fairytales are; my own grandmother told me stories that vary drastically from the ones I devour in books. And none are wrong, or even in competition; they are simply stories, set a long time ago in old Russia - when all the little gods might still have been listening.

The art is fantastic. The combination of original work and the older works is something I'd love to see done more often - with the same amount of skill, that is! - and one way I've been musing over doing stuff myself. Backgrounds are rich and vivid, character animation is lively and amusing, and of course, the ability to nerd out and recognize things wasn't half-bad either. To say nothing of seeing classic costumes from a by-gone time!

Character-wise.... Ivanushka, Ivanushka, Ivanushka! I couldn't get over how perfectly you wrote this fool. Of course, he's so foolish he's almost pretty wise - but I suppose that's the lot in life of one such as him. Elena was also fantastic and reminded me very much of Vasilisa in Alexander Nevsky (the film); how long-suffering she must be to put up with Ivan, but then again, in her wisdom was just enough foolishness to enjoy life, I think. As for Ivan's brothers, villains the lot of them! Hopefully they'll reflect on their ways, but -

Sound and music were fantastic (obviously, with the choice of music! Though I noticed a rather... Familiarly unfamiliar song during Dolmat's feast. ;) I'm just glad matters didn't unfold like so. ) and the story was satisfying; the alternative ends ranging from humorous to melancholic, as appropriate for a fairytale. The proper ending felt wonderfully well-earned, though, and perhaps it is simply because I am an old witch myself - not quite bloody enough. xD

But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my two favourite characters. What you did with Baba Yaga was absolutely perfect - I felt it was a wonderful tip of the hat to the trend of witches being a source of wisdom and adventure in the oldest chronicles, Baba Yaga herself being a creature of caprice, and finally her appearance by actors in relatively recent films. Her dry wit and constant observations, the nod to her multi-purpose oven, just perfect. And although he didn't get quite as much time or development, I grew quite fond of suffering-in-silence
Wolfram
who felt so at home upon the steppes and went through so much.

There isn't really anything I can complain about or recommend. There's stuff I would do differently, yes - but I've never understood vocalizing such thoughts, as the point is - if one has them, why not do them oneself? No, there's really only one thing I can figure, and that is if you do future dungeon-crawlers/mazes, perhaps binding movement to WASD, the arrow keys, or numpad. This maze was hardly long enough to warrant it (and quite fun, apparently our princelings have no taste in old-school gaming!), but it might be something to keep in mind.

In short, since I've rambled far longer then intentional - it's charming and refreshing and heart-warming to see others take a look at old tales, all the more so to see them done right. :) I loved the Adventures of Prince Ivan; thank you for sharing it with us.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#69 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Thank you so very much for taking the time to review my game!
Tatty wrote:So, first thing's first. This plays fast and loose with the Firebird in a way that some people who are looking solely for an adoption of the ballet might not expect.
My personal opinion was that the ballet didn't tell enough of the tale. There should have been a wolf, at the very least!
Tatty wrote:...I salute this, as that is what fairytales are; my own grandmother told me stories that vary drastically from the ones I devour in books. And none are wrong, or even in competition; they are simply stories, set a long time ago in old Russia - when all the little gods might still have been listening.
You never know, the little gods may be listening still. ;)
-- Which is why I worked so hard to keep the story as close to the old tales as possible. Just because we don't notice them doesn't mean that they are not there.
Tatty wrote:The art is fantastic. The combination of original work and the older works is something I'd love to see done more often - with the same amount of skill, that is! - and one way I've been musing over doing stuff myself.
Thank you!
-- I really wanted to make the characters closer to Bilibin's style, but my skill isn't quite up to snuff, yet.
Tatty wrote:Backgrounds are rich and vivid, character animation is lively and amusing, and of course, the ability to nerd out and recognize things wasn't half-bad either. To say nothing of seeing classic costumes from a by-gone time!
I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the mix of old and new. I really enjoy bright colors and vivid patterns so the old Russian style was a lot of fun to play with.
Tatty wrote:Character-wise.... Ivanushka, Ivanushka, Ivanushka! I couldn't get over how perfectly you wrote this fool. Of course, he's so foolish he's almost pretty wise - but I suppose that's the lot in life of one such as him.
I always felt that Ivan was never as foolish as the people around him seemed to think he was.
Tatty wrote:Elena was also fantastic and reminded me very much of Vasilisa in Alexander Nevsky (the film); how long-suffering she must be to put up with Ivan, but then again, in her wisdom was just enough foolishness to enjoy life, I think.
The classic heroine; Vasilisa the Wise was Elena's model! Unfortunately, I haven't run across many stories about her. Anyway... I just didn't want my 'princess' to a Prize, I wanted her to be a person with her own ideas and goals in life.
Tatty wrote:As for Ivan's brothers, villains the lot of them! Hopefully they'll reflect on their ways, but -
They'll have plenty of time in Baba Yaga's ovens to think on their crimes.
Tatty wrote:Sound and music were fantastic (obviously, with the choice of music! Though I noticed a rather... Familiarly unfamiliar song during Dolmat's feast. ;) I'm just glad matters didn't unfold like so. )
When I saw that The Firebird ballet's music was 'public domain' I snatched it up right away, but I just couldn't help adding that 'other' piece of classic Russian music specifically because it had been used in a very classic game.
Tatty wrote:...the story was satisfying; the alternative ends ranging from humorous to melancholic, as appropriate for a fairytale. The proper ending felt wonderfully well-earned, though, ... - not quite bloody enough. xD
I know, I know... I just couldn't figure out a way to make proper fight scenes to give it the blood it needed. I am however, working on a way to do just that.
Tatty wrote:What you did with Baba Yaga was absolutely perfect - I felt it was a wonderful tip of the hat to the trend of witches being a source of wisdom and adventure in the oldest chronicles, Baba Yaga herself being a creature of caprice, and finally her appearance by actors in relatively recent films. Her dry wit and constant observations, the nod to her multi-purpose oven, just perfect.
Baba Yaga has always been a favorite Russian character of mine. While she is cranky and rather blood-thirsty -- literally, she's always shown a core of kindness for those in real trouble. Besides, you can't have an Ivan tale without her.
Tatty wrote:...although he didn't get quite as much time or development, I grew quite fond of suffering-in-silence
Wolfram
who felt so at home upon the steppes and went through so much.
Sadly, there just wasn't enough room to develop him as a person, not without taking time away from the main story.
Tatty wrote:...there's really only one thing I can figure, and that is if you do future dungeon-crawlers/mazes, perhaps binding movement to WASD, the arrow keys, or numpad. This maze was hardly long enough to warrant it (and quite fun, apparently our princelings have no taste in old-school gaming!), but it might be something to keep in mind.
I just couldn't figure out the code to do so. My apologies...
Tatty wrote:In short, since I've rambled far longer then intentional - it's charming and refreshing and heart-warming to see others take a look at old tales, all the more so to see them done right. :) I loved the Adventures of Prince Ivan; thank you for sharing it with us.
Thank you so much for doing such a thorough review! I truly do appreciate the time and effort you put into it. I shall take your tips to heart and see what kind of improvements I can make on the next game I create.

Tatty
Regular

#70 Post by Tatty »

You are welcome, a thousand times welcome. I'll be reading your other works later, too - but for now, I'm just so glad I could leave a proper review to a properly wonderful story. :)
As a finishing quote, I'll say - your style was entirely your own, and in being it's own worked perfectly with Bilibin. I would have experienced the tale no other way.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#71 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Tatty wrote:You are welcome, a thousand times welcome. I'll be reading your other works later, too - but for now, I'm just so glad I could leave a proper review to a properly wonderful story. :)
As a finishing quote, I'll say - your style was entirely your own, and in being it's own worked perfectly with Bilibin. I would have experienced the tale no other way.
Thank you so very much!
-- I am absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed playing my game, and on your advice I shall keep my style as it is.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#72 Post by qirien »

I know I'm way behind, but I finally got around to playing your fine VN (after reading your wonderful GUI tutorials). I loved the mix of classical Russian art, music, and folklore with the modern sprites and mechanics! Ohhh, those clothes... very drool-worthy. :-)

There were a few times when I thought the dialogue was a little wordy ("Hey, you're back" "I'm back!" "Glad you're back" type stuff), and a few anachronisms that took me out of the classical setting for a few minutes, but those are fairly minor complaints for such a detailed tribute to Russian art. I loved all the endings, too!

I'm going to have to check out "The Walk" next... :-)
Finished games:

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#73 Post by OokamiKasumi »

qirien wrote:I know I'm way behind, but I finally got around to playing your fine VN (after reading your wonderful GUI tutorials). I loved the mix of classical Russian art, music, and folklore with the modern sprites and mechanics! Ohhh, those clothes... very drool-worthy. :-)

There were a few times when I thought the dialogue was a little wordy ("Hey, you're back" "I'm back!" "Glad you're back" type stuff), and a few anachronisms that took me out of the classical setting for a few minutes, but those are fairly minor complaints for such a detailed tribute to Russian art. I loved all the endings, too!
I'm thrilled you enjoyed it!
-- This project took almost a full year to complete; my longest and largest to date. I had a blast creating this, though I swear my Photoshop program nearly had a melt-down from the sheer size of the PDF files I needed for each character with their moving arms, changing facial expressions, assorted mounts, and costume changes.

Sorry about the wordy-ness, but I had to bridge the 'return' gap somehow and Dialogue was the easiest way, even if it did become a bit...repetitive after a while. As for the anachronisms; I'm sarcastic by nature, so I couldn't resist. :P
qirien wrote:I'm going to have to check out "The Walk" next... :-)
I look forward to reading your opinion!

shwippie
Regular
Completed: Double Romance
Projects: Rolland's Candy Shop. Mitzi's Fable
Tumblr: shwippie
Deviantart: shwippie

#74 Post by shwippie »

I really enjoyed this! I love the twists and bits of humor you added to the old stories. Things like the chicken leg house and Baba Yaga's weirdness were approached kind of nonchalantly in the fairy tales, so I'm glad you made more of a spectacle of them. The artwork and GUI is very pretty, especially with all the use of various patterns throughout.
Image Image Image

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#75 Post by OokamiKasumi »

shwippie wrote:I really enjoyed this! I love the twists and bits of humor you added to the old stories. Things like the chicken leg house and Baba Yaga's weirdness were approached kind of nonchalantly in the fairy tales, so I'm glad you made more of a spectacle of them. The artwork and GUI is very pretty, especially with all the use of various patterns throughout.
I'm really glad you liked the game!
-- I adore old fairy tales, this one in particular, but the amount of work it took to do it justice was Insane. The PSD file for just the Ivan character (and all his costume changes) was over 900mbs in size.