SOON [Scifi][Humour] **Now with new art!!**

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
spiral
Regular

SOON [Scifi][Humour] **Now with new art!!**

#1 Post by spiral »

That Dr Fang thinks she's so special just because she solved global warming and never blew up any of Switzerland. But now you have a time machine and soon, soon they will ALL PAY.

G rated science fiction humour. Teaches important lessons about the importance of teamwork and the nature of causality. Three endings as well as several bad timelines you have the chance to fix with time travel, all of which are laid out in the included walkthrough.

Screenshots:
I posted the original SOON here ages ago and got a lot of great feedback, the most common complaint was the art so I have totally redrawn it. The writing is much the same except for a few tweaks here and there.

(Here's my demo post with the old art, if you're curious. I realise it's still not perfect, but it's 10000% better than it was!)
Last edited by spiral on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: SOON [Scifi][Humour]

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

This looks fun ^-^ I'll download it now~
i'll cry if you yell at me

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#3 Post by Sheridan »

Just the title made me LOL. Haven't gotten all the endings yet, but so far I am loving your (comedic antihero?) protagonist. (And loving how your cast includes characters of varying skin colors and body types.) Very entertaining.

Hachiko
Regular

#4 Post by Hachiko »

The summary was really misleading, I thought at first that Dr Atlas would destroy the world or do something evil with her time machine LOL XD

I never expected such great writing and awesome story from the graphics (but in the end I think it fit right in with the humor), and I just loooove the dorky humor in the game hahaha xD It just goes to show that one should never judge a book by its cover. -thumbs up- Reminded me somehow of Phineas & Ferb and The Replacements ahaha xD

I really hope to see more of your comedic VNs in the future!! (pssst, will Copper Rose have some similar humor too? xD)

spiral
Regular

#5 Post by spiral »

Thank you both so much! Sorry I took a while to reply, Life happened.
Sheridan wrote:Just the title made me LOL. Haven't gotten all the endings yet, but so far I am loving your (comedic antihero?) protagonist. (And loving how your cast includes characters of varying skin colors and body types.) Very entertaining.
Haha yeah, Atlas only becomes a hero when circumstances give little other option. And yeah I try and put some variety in my characters, if nothing else it keeps things more interesting.
Hachiko wrote:The summary was really misleading, I thought at first that Dr Atlas would destroy the world or do something evil with her time machine LOL XD

I never expected such great writing and awesome story from the graphics (but in the end I think it fit right in with the humor), and I just loooove the dorky humor in the game hahaha xD It just goes to show that one should never judge a book by its cover. -thumbs up- Reminded me somehow of Phineas & Ferb and The Replacements ahaha xD

I really hope to see more of your comedic VNs in the future!! (pssst, will Copper Rose have some similar humor too? xD)
Dr Atlas can do evil things with the time machine! It just doesn't turn out very well :)

Copper Rose is more serious and narratively/emotionally complex than SOON, but definitely has some similar humour here and there, at least in the parts I'm writing. But it's not going to be out for aaaaaages, the whole inspiration behind SOON was to make something simple and quick since we've been working on Copper Rose for so long. (Which is why the art is so simple. That and I'm lazy ;))

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

#6 Post by Sleipnir56 »

This game is really funny and I enjoy it but I can't seem to get the good ending :( . Any hints on how to get it?

spiral
Regular

#7 Post by spiral »

Sleipnir56 wrote:This game is really funny and I enjoy it but I can't seem to get the good ending :( . Any hints on how to get it?
Glad you are enjoying it, sorry you got stuck! There's a walkthrough file included but in case you can't access it (I forgot to double check that with my tester), here's one of quickest paths:
2023: Go the the robot lab and get a brochure, go to Fang's and get a book.
2013: Go to the robot lab and try to sneak in, thus obtaining an access pass (this can be done at almost any time but you may as well do it now)
2003: Talk to Atlas and tell them you're lonely
2013: Talk to Atlas so they start working on the bomb
2023: Go to your lab and get the password ("the apple seller"), go to Fang's and find out you need "Lady Fluffyguts"
2013: Ask Fang about Lady Fluffyguts and get a password and note
2003: Talk to Fang and be sent off for Muncheros
1993: Meet Fang's parents, tell her mum that her dad is perfectly nice, grab a balloon. Go to Atlas, swap the Muncheros for the balloon
2003: Give the chips to Fang in exchange for the doll. Talk to Atlas.
2013: Talk to Atlas.
2023: Give the doll to Fang and get the bomb
1993: Plant the bomb in the robot lab
2013: Go inside the robot lab, destroy the monstrosity
2023: talk to Fang

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#8 Post by qirien »

Hey, I posted on the Demo thread, but I wanted to post here and let you know I like the music you added to the new version. :-)

I almost felt bad about the robots, they are kind of cute (remind me of Clank from Ratchet and Clank). :D
Finished games:

spiral
Regular

#9 Post by spiral »

Thanks again! It's amazing how much high quality free music is out there.

I was originally going to have the robots be less unambiguously evil, but that's not how they came out when I started writing.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#10 Post by Googaboga »

Hehe this sounds awesome. I'll be sure to give it a try and let you know what I think :].
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

LofnBard
Projects: Herb Witch

#11 Post by LofnBard »

FUNNEST GAME EVER!!! I loved it! Finally, a main character I can totally identify with! Mwahahaha...

I did need to check the cheat at the very end to avoid messy End, but other than that I was grinning and bouncing the whole time. Very awesome game, well worth playing. I'll plug it to my friends on Facebook. :)

The art is simple but it works: conveying the right emotions doesn't require fancy art. The toonified pictures make nice backgrounds. Robot Friends are SCARY! I sometimes wished for a little more commentary on Atlas' character development, her realizations as she becomes more human. The music is engaging and totally works. By the time I got to the end I was in a frenzied excitement. Thank you.

One more thing I liked. Atlas didn't try to fix her kid self to not need a wheelchair, as I half expected... because there's nothing truly wrong with her and she has bigger fish to fry.

I've played a number of Ren'Py games, good games like Loren and Heileen. None got me this excited. Great work and thanks!

Now you need a website or blog for your fans to follow. Well, one where we can find your games anyway, the LJ one doesn't really have that. :)

spiral
Regular

#12 Post by spiral »

LofnBard wrote:FUNNEST GAME EVER!!! I loved it! Finally, a main character I can totally identify with! Mwahahaha...

I did need to check the cheat at the very end to avoid messy End, but other than that I was grinning and bouncing the whole time. Very awesome game, well worth playing. I'll plug it to my friends on Facebook. :)

The art is simple but it works: conveying the right emotions doesn't require fancy art. The toonified pictures make nice backgrounds. Robot Friends are SCARY! I sometimes wished for a little more commentary on Atlas' character development, her realizations as she becomes more human. The music is engaging and totally works. By the time I got to the end I was in a frenzied excitement. Thank you.

One more thing I liked. Atlas didn't try to fix her kid self to not need a wheelchair, as I half expected... because there's nothing truly wrong with her and she has bigger fish to fry.

I've played a number of Ren'Py games, good games like Loren and Heileen. None got me this excited. Great work and thanks!

Now you need a website or blog for your fans to follow. Well, one where we can find your games anyway, the LJ one doesn't really have that. :)
Wow, thank you, this is such a great comment!

Yeah I really need to get better at letting people into my character's heads.

I'm in a wheelchair myself, and I am so sick of disabled people always needing to be fixed to have a happy ending! Glad someone else appreciated it :)

Probably the best blog to follow to keep track of my (infrequent) games is my art tumblr, as long as you don't mind the odd bit of fanart: http://alias-sqbr.tumblr.com/

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#13 Post by qirien »

Just thought I'd let you know I posted a review of your VN on a video game blog! Hope this will help your great story reach a wider audience. :-)
Finished games:

spiral
Regular

#14 Post by spiral »

qirien wrote:Just thought I'd let you know I posted a review of your VN on a video game blog! Hope this will help your great story reach a wider audience. :-)
Wow, thanks, I feel really flattered that you highlighted my game like that! Your blog looks pretty cool in general too *checks out the other posts*

Uncomplicated

#15 Post by Uncomplicated »

This is a really fun game. It's very nice to play a character with a disability who isn't concerned about fixing that aspect of her life - wonderful message to send out to young disabled people that they can grow up to invent a time machine to fight off the robot overlords. :) ... I mean, robot friends. <_<

Haven't gotten a good ending yet - I keep making bad stuff happen, oops.