"The Missing Tickets" (mystery game)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: "The Missing Tickets" (mystery game)

#16 Post by mikey »

Jeez, "mikey the master detective"... I can't solve it!
But never fear, I'm taking this to our weekend place and will play it even more.

Anyway, even if I perish trying - I'd like to say it's a great game. Really, it has none of the typical cliches, it's thoroughly original and really fun to play. It reminds me of a cartoon (read: the non-anime cartoon sort), plot-wise and with the atmosphere. And with the anime-styled characters it feels very unique.

The characters are lovely, I just found that they could have filled a bigger portion of the screen. I would also have maybe at least tested the game with B/W or single-color-toned BGs, since the ones used tend to go into a washed out color range... but this was just a suggestion. The only thing that I didn't like was the animated menu... I'm really getting old, maybe, but it was a bit too psychedelic for my eyes. I always jump straight into the game, because that menu flashes so intensively.

Apart from that (it isn't tied to the gameplay anyway), I really enjoyed it - and I still am. It's easy to get into and doesn't need any special approach. Just like I'd sit in front of a TV, I can play this. And that's a great achievement.

Well done, congratulations!

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#17 Post by musical74 »

YAY I got the suspect!

Very well done...I like the idea of using primarily human pics but have certain things - like horns for Augustus - making them seem better. Also loved that you added *side quests* for most of the suspects - I have 4 of the 5 right now.

Best Character: Jasper, with her personality.

Worst Character: hmmmmmm not sure there was a worst character!

PROs: It's very well done, it flows well, like the music (as a musician, this is big for me!), like the writing.

CONs: Already mentioned...be nice if the suspect was different each time, but that's a minor thing.

and for Mikey:
pay close attention to the evidence...that should clue you on who swiped the tickets.
Great game :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Mr. E
Regular

#18 Post by Mr. E »

( I am starting to make late reviwing a bad habit of mine... :? Anyways. )
I've played The missing tickets and it was a quite interesting experience. And congratulations on completing it. The most praiseworthy feature is the gameplay, hands down. It is very diversified and innovative, especially when taking the side stories in consideration. I feel much inclined to call this an "experimental game", because that's what it felt like to me. Like you're checking out all these diferent styles and gameplays ( VN, detective, status-management, RPG, and the list goes on... ). I don't know if that was your original intention, but that's what I felt. :P
The art also deserves praise, it may not be perfectly drawn, but it certainly has style and charisma, and some scenes were VERY intresting/funy. The scene where Turtledove takes *cough*by force*cough* Jasper iceskating is my favourite *remembers Jasper's expression as she is dragged away* :lol:
But, I have to put some nitpick inside this, otherwise it just isn't a Mr. E review, is it? :? But my suggestion is among the same line as the others... It's a little too short. Of course length is something the author should decide and be confortable with, but I think that it all ended a bit too quickly ( I guess the fact I lucky-guessed the right suspect in my first try didn't help either :P ) and there isn't a lot to hold the game together apart from the mini-games. That's why I mentioned it felt like an experimental game. Its purpose is more to use and try different styles rather than tell a story. I've got nothing wrong with that. I don't ask for a treaty on Schoppenhouer's views regarding existential philosophy in every game I play... :P A bit of fun is great too!
But I still believe that it wouldn't have hurt your game to be a little bigger... ( more entertainment for us! :D )
Forgetting that problem, which is not really a problem so to speak, the game is very intresting, and should be played by anyone that wants to check out different gameplays in an actual game ( heck, I even may use a few of these ideas in the future. ). Congrats on the game, Recca Phoenix!

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#19 Post by Recca Phoenix »

I feel much inclined to call this an "experimental game",
That's the word I've been looking for to describe it..... (I think I called it a "learning experience" before...)
This was originally a children's game: I remember playing games when I was a kid that had various subgames even if there wasn't a "main game," and they were always different genres of game (like a puzzle game, quiz game, arcade-style, drawing tool, etc.).
This was back in the dark ages when they still made decent edutainment software for Macs.