Ex Astris 02 [GxB][Light Sci-fi/Supernatural]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Cera L. Hendry
Regular
Completed: Ex Astris 1-9 & Rules They Abide By
Deviantart: cera-l-hendry

Ex Astris 02 [GxB][Light Sci-fi/Supernatural]

#1 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Ex Astris
Chapter 02

Set in a ‘near-future’ on a fictional world, Ex Astris follows the story of Lanis Rosenberg, a newly graduated doctor working in the Loennian military. Doubtful of her abilities to cope in the army and lost with her direction in life, Lanis’ world is suddenly turned upside-down when she is transferred to the secretive, militaristic nation of Xian. There, she is assigned to a subject named A-28 'Ash'. An emotionless, unstable, biologically engineered soldier and her opposite in every way…

Lanis is taken to the secretive nation of Xian to begin the next step in her medical career. What the young woman doesn't expect is to inadvertently stumble upon incidents which already threaten her freedom, and her life. In a country full of oppression, secrets and silence, the power to look through the veil of time comes with steep consequences.

Format: Episodic / Linear Visual Novel
Engine: RenPy
Genre: Light Sci-Fi / Drama / GxB / Supernatural
Platform: PC/Mac/Linux
Duration: Short
Project info & download files:
http://www.cerastudios.com/ex-astris
Last edited by Cera L. Hendry on Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Ex Astris 02 [GxB][Light Sci-fi/Supernatural]

#2 Post by Googaboga »

I remember the first chapter. I liked it a lot. It's nice to see the second one released :3. Do your choices in the previous chapter matter or are chapters separate in that regard?
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#3 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

I did have a large-ish branch originally but I realised I'd put important and different information in both branches, and that if I mentioned something down the track in a future chapter and a person never took that branch I'd be making a loophole for myself. Any story with 'time' elements is just asking for holes which I'm desperately trying to keep in check. (Trust me to pick awkward story-telling devices.) XD My 'notes' document is so big now so that I can remember things I've mentioned and their future impacts to the story lol.

So in short, yes, there are choices. They open up alternate lines of dialogues and reactions, they also give additional info or insight on a character. Do they impede on the overall experience of the chapter's story? No. ;) So don't feel you have to go back and do it all again if you're happy enough.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

I see. That's understandable. I'll be sure to play this when I have a chance :3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Chibichann
Regular

#5 Post by Chibichann »

Loved the first chapter.really desperate to read the second one,the story and the hero is just....lovely

Genod

#6 Post by Genod »

Oh sweet, I'd forgotten about this :) I fondly remember the first chapter so I'm bound to get to reading this at some point. Congrats on getting it done!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#7 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I remember the first chapter, and it set up an interesting world. So naturally I downloaded and played the new one.

I'll have more detailed feedback once I can go back through it and write down my specific thoughts. (I play through VNs at least once to enjoy them and bring out the fine-toothed comb later.)

One important thing I noticed is that
Lanis's vision of her daughter specified that the girl has "brown eyes like her mother" (I'm paraphrasing a bit), but Lanis has green eyes. So are Lanis's eyes actually brown but hidden under green contacts? Or have I spotted a continuity error?
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#8 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

Thanks Mad Harlequin. You don't have to go to all that effort ^^; This is just a fun project for me.
About the child's eyes… When Lanis said 'her' mother, she was actually referring to her own mother, Verona, not herself. :) Green eyes are a recessive gene, brown are are dominant. So if Lanis were with someone who also didn't have a green eye recessive gene then the chances of the child having a 'throwback' to the more dominant brown eyes that she carries is possible. This is factoring in that Ash may indeed also carry a brow eye gene. ;) That was the reasoning behind my thinking anyways…
Thanks so much for taking the time to read it through! :D

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#9 Post by Mad Harlequin »

What you say is true . . . and also, I think I can safely blame my reading comprehension failure on my lack of quality sleep last night. D'oh. I should really make sure I know what the heck I'm talking about before I comment. :oops:

I look forward to future entries!
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#10 Post by Rainbow Colors »

Thank you for your efforts~ The first chapter certainly piqued my interest and I'm rather glad it hasn't become vaporware >u> I still have some things to do so I'll just download it now and give my feedback(if any?) after I finish some more important things.

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

dasea

#11 Post by dasea »

Ash in a casual hoodie was a bit of a shock to me. Like seeing a teacher in pyjamas but in a good way.
I liked this chapter. The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger and left me really wanting to read more.

How many chapters are you planning? I have a feeling this is going to be a long series.

scorlight
Regular

#12 Post by scorlight »

It's finally out :D Woah, I have been waiting for this the whole time ^^ Great
Artist for rent, see my art here: http://scorlight.deviantart.com/gallery/

Cera L. Hendry
Regular

#13 Post by Cera L. Hendry »

@dasea. Bahaha, nicely put regarding Ash's hoodie XD At least it was in a good way.

As for length hmm… that's a tough one! It won't be short. Which is why I stopped the manga version at 3 chapters because it was simply going to waste my lifespan lol. Not that swapping to a Visual Novel format was any less work, as I've now learnt lol. At least the art is consistent. It's what bothered me most about my webmanga. I'm thinking around 20? Could be less, I think it'll depend on my pacing. Some elements further into the story aren't set in stone just yet.

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#14 Post by Rainbow Colors »

I'm just hoping that the alcoholic content negates the effect of whatever they administered to her. Then she develops an immunity against it, so trying to give her another shot won't work.
But I guess I'm guessing by a long shot.

And oh dear, more or less 20? That's a lot. (But if that's what you wish... well, you're the one making it. I just hope you don't suddenly abandon it in the middle because I would really like to see the whole story :3)

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#15 Post by Lesleigh63 »

I really enjoyed the first chapter of this, and was so glad when I realised this was chapter 2 and not what I'd already played (took me a while).

No disappointments in the second chapter. It has a good pace and the world is getting fleshed out. Also has some interesting concepts coming through. I like the characters of Lanis and Ash (Ash is a fascinating character in my opinion and I definitely want to know more about him). I'm looking forward to chapter three.