Asher [Supernatural/Suspense/Urban Fantasy] NEWS, see last page

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

Re: Asher [Supernatural/Horror?/Urban Fantasy]

#31 Post by ketskari »

Green Glasses Girl wrote:Downloaded the newer version. Bonus screen works perfectly. Awesome.

Oh, my goodness the art for the soundtrack screen is stunning~
Yay! That's a relief. And thank you! :)
Shio_Fuu wrote:I didn't get all the endings so far, but let me say that I already love it!
The game is just beautiful! The story is very intriguing, I hope you'll continue it!
You have a wonderful art style, it really suits the story perfectly. Some sprites and BGs are a bit less polished than the others, but it doesn't ruin the picture. I love the way you animated sprites and their poses, they're so creepy!
The music is very nice, but I especially loved the song. I think, you could make some kind of an opening or ending with it!
Thank you! I do plan to continue it; I'm working on art for the next one right now which will be much more polished--because this time I know what I'm doing. xD Yes, Nicole has a beautiful voice, although sadly it just doesn't match the rest of the soundtrack, or I would. :)
ark99k wrote:The art was amazing! The writing was perfect! Overall perfection!
Um, how do you get the bonus screen? Like cool99 I can't seem to get it, I have all of the endings and played it through again after downloading the game again.
Thank you! Hearing 'perfect' for my free game is nice. xD
Anyway, are you playing 0.95? It's on the name of the folder. If you have 0.94 or less, the bonus screen may be broken.
There is still one thing in the bonus section that may not unlock, and that I'll fix in the next update. What is the problem exactly?

EDIT: And now that last locked extra in the bonus section should work. Once you get the latest download (0.96), You may have to play the game one more time through to unlock it.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#32 Post by AntiquedFae »

*.* The story, characters, setting and art are look wonderful to me. Will tell you what I think when I'm done!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

dasea

#33 Post by dasea »

Great game.
The art looks beautiful and really suits the games atmosphere. And the music especially fits the mood.
I liked the animation at the beginning of the silhouette of the city, the panning of the portraits, and the zooming in of the goddess. Sometimes it can look a little cheesy, but I think you used it well to move across a landscape.

I was a little confused about the lore but I got it after replaying.
I wonder what the relationship between Markaius and Tetrine was like. In the fifth ending did he break her neck? I can't tell.
I like the bonus song. Is there a way to download it?

This error would pop up when I right-click to exit the save or load menu. It doesn't happen when I click return.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 17, in script
  File "renpy/common/00action_menu.rpy", line 75, in python
Exception: 'keys_map' is not a screen or a label.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\execution.py", line 288, in run
    node.execute()
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\ast.py", line 720, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\python.py", line 1308, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 17, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\ui.py", line 237, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1853, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 2406, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\display\layout.py", line 749, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\display\layout.py", line 749, in event
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\display\screen.py", line 319, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 300, in event
    rv = run(action)
  File "C:\Users\vector\Documents\vn\Asher-0.96-all\Asher-0.96-all\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 222, in run
    return var(*args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/00action_menu.rpy", line 75, in __call__
    raise Exception("%r is not a screen or a label." % orig_screen)
Exception: 'keys_map' is not a screen or a label.

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.16.5.525
Asher 0.96

ketskari
Veteran

#34 Post by ketskari »

AntiquedFae wrote:*.* The story, characters, setting and art are look wonderful to me. Will tell you what I think when I'm done!
Thanks! Looking forward to hearing what you think. :)
dasea wrote:Great game.
The art looks beautiful and really suits the games atmosphere. And the music especially fits the mood.
I liked the animation at the beginning of the silhouette of the city, the panning of the portraits, and the zooming in of the goddess. Sometimes it can look a little cheesy, but I think you used it well to move across a landscape.

I was a little confused about the lore but I got it after replaying.
I wonder what the relationship between Markaius and Tetrine was like. In the fifth ending did he break her neck? I can't tell.
Hey, thanks--and wow, I had no idea that you could right-click to exit the save/load screen and so didn't think to test it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Minor issue, though, so I probably won't fix it right away.
dasea wrote:I like the bonus song. Is there a way to download it?
Not at the moment, but I'll ask the musician what she thinks of making it available for download. :)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#35 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Wonderful story and the art was perfect for it!
-- The panning animation was a nice touch that didn't overpower the story-telling. The world-building was solid, and subtle. I really like how you gave away nothing and kept me guessing as to what was really going on until the last possible second. Excellent work!
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

ketskari
Veteran

#36 Post by ketskari »

OokamiKasumi wrote:Wonderful story and the art was perfect for it!
-- The panning animation was a nice touch that didn't overpower the story-telling. The world-building was solid, and subtle. I really like how you gave away nothing and kept me guessing as to what was really going on until the last possible second. Excellent work!
Wow, you hit on everything I was hoping would turn out. Thank you for playing and taking the time to comment! It's great to hear from a seasoned storyteller. :)

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#37 Post by OokamiKasumi »

ketskari wrote:Wow, you hit on everything I was hoping would turn out. Thank you for playing and taking the time to comment! It's great to hear from a seasoned storyteller. :)
My pleasure. I really enjoyed your game.
-- As a side note, the fact that the things I mentioned were Deliberate on your part shows that it wasn't an accident of talent that made your game Good, but the work of practiced Skill -- something that can only improve with time. I look forward to seeing what you dream up next!
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

ketskari
Veteran

#38 Post by ketskari »

OokamiKasumi wrote:My pleasure. I really enjoyed your game.
-- As a side note, the fact that the things I mentioned were Deliberate on your part shows that it wasn't an accident of talent that made your game Good, but the work of practiced Skill -- something that can only improve with time. I look forward to seeing what you dream up next!
Yay. xD That's so nice to hear.
Huzzah! Yes, the aim is definitely to improve from here. And thank you! and you, too! :)

Hachiko
Regular

#39 Post by Hachiko »

Got most of the endings and I have to say, I loved it! The art was very well polished and the animations were great! A few questions, how do you get Markaius' last ending and the ending below IV? Also, as someone pointed out, the bonus music was really nice, it'd be great if you can upload it! :)

ketskari
Veteran

#40 Post by ketskari »

Hachiko wrote:Got most of the endings and I have to say, I loved it! The art was very well polished and the animations were great! A few questions, how do you get Markaius' last ending and the ending below IV? Also, as someone pointed out, the bonus music was really nice, it'd be great if you can upload it! :)
Thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. I just uploaded the bonus song--the link is on the first page. :)
For the last Markaius ending, try being snarky with him in the regular route (not the escape route). It also helps if you don't remember him...

For ending VI--just be mean and violent.

felinebassline
Projects: Royal Road {Working Title}

#41 Post by felinebassline »

Can't wait to play!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#42 Post by AntiquedFae »

Eek, have been having so many computer problems lately so I haven't been able to get back to you about this. I was only able to get two endings
ending four and then ending one
before computer decided to completely die, so I can only judge it based on those.
I adored it. The setting, world, mood and just the feel of it were all so...ahh. ^.^ It completely enveloped me in your oh so mysterious, lusciously gray world. I loved it. For the most part the gameplay elements were woven into the story in such a fantastic way, I was so impressed! It didn't feel like it was now, "Let's play a minigame!" time, it was so perfect! There was only one thing which put me off about it, and it was a slightly odd thing that wouldn't affect most people, but
when you needed to hit the buttons rapidly to keep Terine awake and escape from the two that were chasing her, I got really, really frustrated. I could not hit the buttons fast enough, and I kept getting a bad end. I have very poor hand eye coordination, slow reflexes and trouble with fine motor skills, so this really frustrated me because I just couldn't hit the right buttons in time! Then I felt very bad because I kept on killing Terine. :cry: It was...not something I enjoyed at all. Or an experience I would like to repeat. Which is why I haven't yet downloaded this game again, now that my computer is working properly. This being said, I desperately want to find out all I can about Asher and I feel like I have missed so much with just one playthrough, and I want to know more! But just...the button clicking and my horrid reaction time! Ugh, so horrible. Once I got over my initial frustration I decided that the button-pressing was probably a decent comparison to trying very hard not to fall asleep, but...it just kind of spoiled the game for me a little, tragically. :( So, my next question is: is the part that has caused me(and my hands) so much completely unintentional grief in all the routes of the game?! I really, really want to dive back into the world of Asher(so much!!) but...I really don't want to have to go through that part again. -groans- I am sorry to be such a bother about this! I know I am a definite minority in the being dreadful at hand-eye coordination thing, if a sizable amount of people had this same problem then arcade style games would not work the way they do! :) In case you are wondering, I was totally that kid in baseball who always got hit in the face with the ball and then tried to catch said ball a few seconds later. I hate sports...
I really love this game though. It is an absolutely amazing work of renpy-made art. You are fantastic at this, as far as I am concerned! :D I honestly want to see more games by you; many, many more if Asher is any indication at all! Err,...Just maybe without timed button-pressing next time, please? :wink:
Sorry for the massive rambling message. -_- Bad Fae, learn to control your words! Ugh.
You can call me Fae!

ketskari
Veteran

#43 Post by ketskari »

felinebassline wrote:Can't wait to play!
Yay :)
AntiquedFae wrote:Eek, have been having so many computer problems lately so I haven't been able to get back to you about this. I was only able to get two endings
ending four and then ending one
before computer decided to completely die, so I can only judge it based on those.
I adored it. The setting, world, mood and just the feel of it were all so...ahh. ^.^ It completely enveloped me in your oh so mysterious, lusciously gray world. I loved it. For the most part the gameplay elements were woven into the story in such a fantastic way, I was so impressed! It didn't feel like it was now, "Let's play a minigame!" time, it was so perfect! There was only one thing which put me off about it, and it was a slightly odd thing that wouldn't affect most people, but
when you needed to hit the buttons rapidly to keep Terine awake and escape from the two that were chasing her, I got really, really frustrated. I could not hit the buttons fast enough, and I kept getting a bad end. I have very poor hand eye coordination, slow reflexes and trouble with fine motor skills, so this really frustrated me because I just couldn't hit the right buttons in time! Then I felt very bad because I kept on killing Terine. :cry: It was...not something I enjoyed at all. Or an experience I would like to repeat. Which is why I haven't yet downloaded this game again, now that my computer is working properly. This being said, I desperately want to find out all I can about Asher and I feel like I have missed so much with just one playthrough, and I want to know more! But just...the button clicking and my horrid reaction time! Ugh, so horrible. Once I got over my initial frustration I decided that the button-pressing was probably a decent comparison to trying very hard not to fall asleep, but...it just kind of spoiled the game for me a little, tragically. :( So, my next question is: is the part that has caused me(and my hands) so much completely unintentional grief in all the routes of the game?! I really, really want to dive back into the world of Asher(so much!!) but...I really don't want to have to go through that part again. -groans- I am sorry to be such a bother about this! I know I am a definite minority in the being dreadful at hand-eye coordination thing, if a sizable amount of people had this same problem then arcade style games would not work the way they do! :) In case you are wondering, I was totally that kid in baseball who always got hit in the face with the ball and then tried to catch said ball a few seconds later. I hate sports...
I really love this game though. It is an absolutely amazing work of renpy-made art. You are fantastic at this, as far as I am concerned! :D I honestly want to see more games by you; many, many more if Asher is any indication at all! Err,...Just maybe without timed button-pressing next time, please? :wink:
Sorry for the massive rambling message. -_- Bad Fae, learn to control your words! Ugh.
Thank you! I'm really happy to hear that kind of response about the world--it's exactly what I wanted to achieve. :)
The regular route endings (no timed buttons) are one, four, six, seven, eight, and nine (I'm pretty sure).

Also, once you go through the game once, it's possible to rollback at the timed button sections. In the escape route the order is X, Y, Z, and Z again if you go to the library. Maybe that helps?

I'm not much of a button-masher myself, so I definitely understand your frustration... I didn't know Asher could be hard. x(
Thank you for this feedback, I really appreciate it, and I'm sorry your experience was spoiled by the timed buttons. I put the timed buttons in there because I felt like that section lacked suspense without them, and it was an experiment, but in the future I will make separate game/story modes. Actually, I was already planning to. :)

LofnBard
Projects: Herb Witch

#44 Post by LofnBard »

Fun game, hours of enjoyment with great graphics that keep the mood. Thanks! :)

My message was erased by the %?!#$?!# forum logging me out when I tried to go to full editor. I'll see what I can remember. I think I'm vague enough that there are no spoilers here.

-Increasing text speed cuts off the voice acting, and the options menu is not accessible in game to fix it. Maybe remove the text speed option since it needs a specific value.
-Ending V is pretty cryptic, I was left wondering what happened. Dead? Reborn? What? The other endings are clearer.
-Tetrine's voice cuts off at "I..." in the library's first scene, when answering the visitor.
-Near the end of the game at the park scene leading to endings II or V, the man talking to her uses the word "can" in his sentence but it makes little sense. I think it was supposed to be "should", but I don't remember, having lost that transcription.
-I also got the crash by right clicking in the save menu. For the next update. :)

Great work!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#45 Post by AntiquedFae »

ketskari wrote:Thank you! I'm really happy to hear that kind of response about the world--it's exactly what I wanted to achieve. :)
I think you definitely succeeded then! Yay!
ketskari wrote:
The regular route endings (no timed buttons) are one, four, six, seven, eight, and nine (I'm pretty sure).

Also, once you go through the game once, it's possible to rollback at the timed button sections. In the escape route the order is X, Y, Z, and Z again if you go to the library. Maybe that helps?

I'm not much of a button-masher myself, so I definitely understand your frustration... I didn't know Asher could be hard. x(
Hmm, that is a little odd then. I got endings one and four, and I had to go through the timed button bit to get those. :? Maybe I had a glitch of some sort?

I also figured out the rollback thing, which was the only reason I was able to get a good ending at all, but it was still very difficult for me. I needed to do a lot of rolling back...and rolling backs on my already rolled backs...admittedly, on top of an already rolled back. :oops: Oh, Fae. You and your total lack of fine motor skills. >_<

Thank you so much for being understanding! And sorry for complaining. I don't think that part would be hard for many people; probably just the ones with really poor hand-eye coordination like me. If it makes you feel better, I actually have a diagnosed mental syndrome;one of the usual characteristics of it is having poor fine motor skills, usually coupled with bad reaction time. So I don't think this part of Asher would be difficult for many people without some sort of hindrance in this regard. :)
ketskari wrote:Thank you for this feedback, I really appreciate it, and I'm sorry your experience was spoiled by the timed buttons. I put the timed buttons in there because I felt like that section lacked suspense without them, and it was an experiment, but in the future I will make separate game/story modes. Actually, I was already planning to. :)
Ooh, separate game/story modes sounds wonderful! Thank you for the great game! ^_^
You can call me Fae!