Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Message
Author
User avatar
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 am
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB
Skype: coren.baili
Contact:

Re: Win The Game

#31 Post by Coren » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:08 am

Aleema wrote:
Coren wrote:Another bug: I can't seem to put the boat down when I carry it.
Not a bug. You're supposed to be making a break for it. Also, I'd rather you not drop it than have to code all the scenarios for if you do. :P
But it could be nice to warn you of this before you start to move it.
Ah, I see. But when I put the boat in the water I die anyway, so.. XD

Oh yeah, it's also possible to have all the areas around you suddenly become forbidden and get stuck there permanently. Is that a bug?

User avatar
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 pm
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards
Contact:

Re: Win The Game

#32 Post by Aleema » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:12 am

Coren wrote:Ah, I see. But when I put the boat in the water I die anyway, so.. XD
Trying putting it in water away from the cameras of the island.

About being surrounded by FZ ... It probably means you are taking too long. I did try to prevent that from happening for a while, but I suppose it will eventually.

User avatar
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 am
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB
Skype: coren.baili
Contact:

Re: Win The Game

#33 Post by Coren » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:18 am

Ah, I see. Well I'm playing deathmatch now, and there are apparently 8 people alive but only 3 on the GPS. And these three people keep fleeing in all directions no matter how much I chase them. Hmm.

LordOfThePikmin
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:28 am
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#34 Post by LordOfThePikmin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:49 am

First off, I think you've done an amazing job at replicating the horror of Battle Royale; I was doing a no-save-scumming first playthrough, so there were some genuinely tense moments during encounters with other students/the announcements of new Forbidden Zones. (Also a few because I'm an idiot, and somehow failed to notice/remember that I actually had to equip weapons and armor.) I also liked what I think was some meta-commentary at/near the end, but spoilers, just to be safe:
Was the A.I.'s 'You're here because you want to be here' leaning on the fourth wall? I'm assuming that Shinobu didn't want to be there, but that we-the-players were present because we did indeed want to play the game, despite knowing what would happen. If so, nice. It's been done before, but I thought it was particularly effective here because, as noted, I found the immersion to be surprisingly effective... to the point where I got momentarily stuck when you enter your name in the PC, because I forgot that I was playing an MC with an established name. ORZ
The ending kinda confused me, though:
Shinobu gets knocked out, and wakes up twenty years older with a wife and kid? I'm guessing this is a pretty good ending because I lived, plus it unlocks the Machine Gun, but...
Granted, I was playing at an ungodly level of sleep-deprivation, and maybe I missed something?

I'm also curious about what random weapon/item everyone else got, just to compare notes. I started with the sickle, for example, which obviously had a big effect on my playstyle (lots of fleeing, initially, until I eventually traded up). I just started my second playthrough, and I got the sniper rifle. I suspect a lot more people would be dead by now if I wasn't trying to keep Mari from freaking out and running away.

A couple of inconsistencies, though: During my first playthrough, I had the option to tell Takeshi about the boat before I actually found the boat. More notably, during my current run, I let Mari go across the bridge, then killed Ai when she attacked. Hitomo ran to the bathhouse, but when I went in, it acted as if Hitomo had been escorting me. After the normal conversation, I went straight into interacting with Hitomo, who goes "Ahhh!" When I click Done instead of Attack, the game acts as if I killed her ('Hitomo never stood a chance') and I get the 'Mari runs off' message. The screen still shows all four girls, and no-one does anything, but when I leave, Mari stays. When I go back and try to interact with Mari, then she screams and runs off, but Hitomo is still there.

User avatar
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 pm
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#35 Post by Aleema » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:00 pm

LordOfThePikmin wrote: The ending kinda confused me, though:
Shinobu gets knocked out, and wakes up twenty years older with a wife and kid? I'm guessing this is a pretty good ending because I lived, plus it unlocks the Machine Gun, but...
Granted, I was playing at an ungodly level of sleep-deprivation, and maybe I missed something?
That isn't the best ending. You get to live, but I don't consider it a "good" ending. Only one ending can be considered "good."
You didn't really miss anything, you were supposed to jump forward in time and discover things just as Shinobu does.
LordOfThePikmin wrote:'m also curious about what random weapon/item everyone else got, just to compare notes. I started with the sickle, for example, which obviously had a big effect on my playstyle (lots of fleeing, initially, until I eventually traded up). I just started my second playthrough, and I got the sniper rifle. I suspect a lot more people would be dead by now if I wasn't trying to keep Mari from freaking out and running away.
I'm curious, too! Your starting weapon definitely shapes how you will play the game in the beginning. I'd love to know everyone's starting weapon, when and how they traded up, and if they did actually try to win the game. (Some assume that you have to, to get any ending, but that's not true.)
LordOfThePikmin wrote:More notably, during my current run, I let Mari go across the bridge, then killed Ai when she attacked. Hitomo ran to the bathhouse, but when I went in, it acted as if Hitomo had been escorting me. After the normal conversation, I went straight into interacting with Hitomo, who goes "Ahhh!" When I click Done instead of Attack, the game acts as if I killed her ('Hitomo never stood a chance') and I get the 'Mari runs off' message. The screen still shows all four girls, and no-one does anything, but when I leave, Mari stays. When I go back and try to interact with Mari, then she screams and runs off, but Hitomo is still there.
It appears that this section of the game is broken. What is supposed to happen: if you kill Ai at the bridge to save Hitomo's life, she will get freaked out, but you get a cutscene to save/calm her. Your party shouldn't run away. I'll see what's wrong with it.

xxstrangesoulxx

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#36 Post by xxstrangesoulxx » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:44 pm

Great game! I really like it. I'm glad someone made a battle royal type game. I've always wondered what I would in such a situation.

I teamed up with Mari and I'm helping the others hack into the collars. So far my items include a gun, (which I traded with Mari for throwing knives), a first aid kit, a knife and food. So far I died twice. I still have yet to get other endings and make further progress in the game. So far I found a bug. I'll let you know if I find more.

Ok so I got a bug after I killed Kenji and entered the shrine where Mari is located.
Attachments
error.PNG

User avatar
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 am
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB
Skype: coren.baili
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#37 Post by Coren » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:06 pm

I got what I assume is the "best" ending lolololol.
The one where you destroy the computer by confusing it completely.
A few more bugs:
- When I let Hitomo fall off the bridge instead of saving her, she's still there saying "This way" when I go into the bathhouse as if nothing happened.
- Updater isn't working - I keep getting "no status update" or something like that.
- None of the girls in the Bathhouse seem to have a reaction when I kill one of them. In fact, after I killed Nanako, Lucy still says "Nana doesn't want you here. Maybe you should leave."
- Also, it seems that none of the characters kill anyone else unless I'm there to personally witness it (Ai with chainsaw, Yoriko..). In fact, Ikoma doesn't kill anyone at all, despite him said to be evil-looking and stained with blood.
- Same with Ai. If I meet her without her killing anyone at all, she's still holding a "bloody chainsaw". Nobody knows where the blood came from.
- Party members generally end up running away even when I kill someone in self-defense, which I don't think is intentional. For instance, when I kill Asai because he attacked me, I come back unharmed and Mari "gives me a hug". Then she suddenly shouts "don't hurt me!" and runs away.
Last edited by Coren on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordOfThePikmin
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:28 am
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#38 Post by LordOfThePikmin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Aleema wrote:It appears that this section of the game is broken. What is supposed to happen: if you kill Ai at the bridge to save Hitomo's life, she will get freaked out, but you get a cutscene to save/calm her. Your party shouldn't run away. I'll see what's wrong with it.
To add to my first post: I hadn't noticed, but my Sanity was pretty low after killing Ai, and after Hitomo ran away I had four options: Go west, Go south, Go across the bridge, and Commit suicide. I was expecting the 'save/calm Hitomo' option since I'd gotten it the first time, but I thought it didn't show up because of my low SAN. I reloaded, healed my SAN with food, and tried again: It played out the same, except I had neither the save/calm option nor the suicide option. I guess I didn't run into it before because I partnered up late in my last game?

My first run I tried to avoid killing; I did kill those who tried to kill me, but spent most of my game hiding/fleeing. I had to chase Yoriko down, but managed to kill her and take her weapon and armor, then grabbed the sawed-off shotgun from the shed. I've noticed the difference that starting with a better weapon gives me: I felt satisfied when I was able to shoot back at Yoriko and one-shotted Ai, but it's also made me less careful. When all I had was a scythe, I rested and ate a lot, so I didn't have to worry about my stats dropping too far unless I was in combat. After the bug mentioned above, I reloaded just after the intro and went to the bridge alone, but again didn't get the chance to save Hitomo: She still ran ahead, but this time the game didn't act like she died after I talked to the girls.

First playthrough: Starting weapon was the sickle, four kills, no deaths, partnered with Jun. Got the blue ribbon end.

(I was pretty sure it wasn't the Best End, but I was using the BR metric and assumed that there was the end I got, the end from winning the game, and a bunch of ways to die. And that's why assumptions are bad!)

Update: Second playthrough: Starting weapon was the sniper rifle, 15 kills, no deaths, no partner, got the trophy end.

I actually felt kind of bad, even before the "Congratulations, you murderous fiend!" Is the gasoline + matches needed for another ending, and is it actually possible to help Takeshi hack the collars? I explored every zone except the ones that were Forbidden at the start, and I can't seem to find any 'tech' for him.
Last edited by LordOfThePikmin on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 pm
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#39 Post by Aleema » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:32 pm

How to get the three endings:
1. Win the game. Kill everyone.
2. Type your character's name when prompted.
3. Type the name that the computer thinks you have. (Best ending)
To get endings 2 & 3, you need to build the boat, bring it to a coastline that is not within the island's vision and row to the right side of the island.

User avatar
Cobweb
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:56 am
Projects: My Father's Apprentice
IRC Nick: Cobweb
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#40 Post by Cobweb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 pm

I just finished the game, I died, but it was awesome! I think it's the only time I have ever thought it justified to think I knew I should have killed them! I really enjoyed how this game makes you think about how to survive but also how to treat people. It's strange when you have these snippets of information being fed to you about past relationships and you're thinking, oh I can't trust him, and you're forming these opinions and choosing whether or not to kill, flee, or risk being killed! Seriously, it was incredible.

Because people are asking and I find it interesting also I'll share that I started with a sniper, which was great! :twisted: The guy with the ladle really made me laugh. Nice touch. :mrgreen:

Only bug I came across was when:
I tried to give Hitomo the walkie talkie it kept going to the error screen and I couldn't ignore, I had to rollback and eventually kill her... sorry, Hitomo!
Thanks for making the game, it's an awesome tribute to Battle Royale.

User avatar
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 pm
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#41 Post by Aleema » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Cobweb wrote:Thanks for making the game, it's an awesome tribute to Battle Royale.
That means a lot to me. Thanks. :)

User avatar
unknown5
Veteran
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:41 pm
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#42 Post by unknown5 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:09 am

waaaah!
i must play this!!!
Image
information wants to be free, yo.

User avatar
Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1258
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:13 am
Projects: a battle engine
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#43 Post by Asceai » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:25 am

Escaped with Mari and Jun. 17 students alive.

I couldn't save Goro ;(

EDIT: And while the exclusion zones and the island setting are definitely Battle Royale, I felt this game was thematically more akin to Killer Queen (a Japanese murder-game VN), but I appreciated the interactivity here and the fact that it is actually possible to save pretty much everyone. Good fun.

User avatar
MetaFrosty
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 am
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#44 Post by MetaFrosty » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:55 pm

I absolutely adore battle royale and survival games in general so I basically love you for making this, especially as these sorts of stories are sadly absent from the EVN scene. I just finished playing and really enjoyed it; the overall presentation and format was great and unique, and I can't imagine how difficult planning it all out must have been.
I feel like it could have been greatly improved by a short prologue chapter though, to introduce all the characters beforehand and created more of a sense of attachment to them before you slaughter them.
I ran into a bit of a problem where Nanako, Hitmoi and Lucy all disappeared forever after A-1 became a danger zone. I'm not sure if I was supposed to do anything special to find them after that, or if it was just an error, but they remained alive and I could do nothing else besides wait for the time to run out.
Besides that, other than a few minor nitpicks that are really just personal preference, I don't have anything else to say except I'd like to see more of this kind of stuff! (I'm planning survival game stuff after my current project but that's a ways off)

User avatar
Starling
Regular
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Completed: Rapunzel, Ishara: Bane of the Seas
Organization: Happy Backwards
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#45 Post by Starling » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:34 am

I really need to replay this updated version when I have time (especially since I went and did all the sprites for it lol) but I have to point out how much I love the way you get the best ending. Especially when you just do it on your own and you aren't expecting it. It really improved the experience for me.
Completed:
Rapunzel -- Fairy Tale Kinetic Novel
(NaNoRenO '11 )
the empty orchestra
(NaNoRenO '14)
Image
(NaNoRenO '15)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users