Six Rules [Heian Japan|Child Protag|Short Story]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

Re: Six Rules [Child Protag|Drama|Feud|Ancient Japan]

#16 Post by dreamy »

Yay!
So I finished the game (haha well that was fast :lol: ) And as I promised I will give my feedback!
Question 1. What do you generally feel upon finishing the main game?
Well honestly it was quite short haha. But the story was really meaningful
It is very easy to relate to Ryoji (did I get his name correct XO) of how he wants to make his family proud but the trusted Yuki. It was really sad when Yuki betrayed him though, although it was like foreshadowing that all over the place previously...I still felt so sad. It must have felt horrible to be betrayed. It was full of mixed emotions I guess. I felt like it was lacking something though with the abrupt end at the dungeon, there should have been like a final confrontation scene or some sort before they killed Ryoji
2. What did you feel upon playing Another View?
The another view was a nice wrap up to the whole story. We could see Yuki's side to the story and it shows how complicated the family feud is. Both of them want to please their parents but they both are like half-hearted towards it. It sums up the lovely story altogether.I also like how Yuki's name determines her charcter hehe.
3. Any favourite character(s)?
Well
We only see two people in this story hehe :D so it's pretty obvious my favourite characters are Ryoji and Yuki. Both sides of their story really show their feelings of how they want to impress their parents as well as contain their own desires.
and anyway even though we don't really have any other characters other than the parents, I can't say I don't like them too.
They are so emotional it's almost cute :)
I guess I like all of Yuki's soundtraacks the most and sorry no screenshot from me :cry: I still don't know how to use the screenshot thing :(
Overall, another great game yay!

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#17 Post by Amiralo »

A very entertaining story with cute children and all.

SPOILER HERETo be honest, this kinetic novel seems like the prologue of a much longer story. I have always had a penchant for stories in which the heroine and the hero have a complex relationship filled with enmity and other uneasy feelings. And it would be wonderful to see "yuki" and ryoujii grow up into hatred filled and dangerous adults and slaughter each other. (Ah my sadistic little heart just flutters at the thought.)

I guess the only suggestion I have is that the shopping background did not fit the time period. (It looked like a place in fantasy Europe instead of ancient japan.) And I would have liked that there be one "faux" happy route before unlocking the true route for the big reveal (you know, just so you can feel the punch in the gut a bit more.) But other than that, I have no critique to make. Everything else is just really well made.
Looking forward to crimson raffelasia! (I probably spelled that wrong.)
Last edited by Amiralo on Sat May 10, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#18 Post by Googaboga »

Congrats :mrgreen:. I'm so excited to see this finished. I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to play but I'll be sure to give it a try when I can :].
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#19 Post by Coren »

@dreamy: Yep, it's meant to be a short story. :) 8,000 words long in all.

@Amiralo: Thanks for the review! Again I'll appreciate if you would tag your spoilers, heh, using spoiler tags. Here's how you do it:

Code: Select all

[spoiler]SPOILER HERE[/spoiler]
I was really searching high and low for a marketplace background, but I couldn't find a traditional Japanese one. So I had to make do with the medieval-looking one orz.

Thanks for playing!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#20 Post by Kokoro Hane »

So I play this. Ryouji and Yuki are so adorable, and I loved their conversations together.
Then I was totally thrown for a loop when his trust is betrayed. At first, Yuki seems so innocent, even when revealed to be a Taira. You think that maybe they could be what breaks the hatred between clans, but instead she really was the very enemy. Her cold smile in front of the fire was just...oh my gosh. And then when we see the young heiress in a black kimono, only makes her look more sinister!

But then, "Another View" shows Yuki's innocence again, and she really wasn't that sinister at all, she wanted to be accepted. If her family never caught her seeing Ryouji, none of that would happen. If Ryouji had reported her, or at least chased her away and didn't give away his location, this never would of happened.

It was a hard read, but I still liked it, despite the heart-wrenching ending.
Anyway, I enjoyed it and have a review for it on my blog; http://breakingmetalwindows.blogspot.co ... rules.html
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#21 Post by Coren »

Thanks for the in-depth review, Kokoron! :)

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#22 Post by Starshine »

Very nice game, it was nice playing this game in my spare time. I will answer your questions as follows.

1. The game has a very interesting moral to it.
(Which basically revolves around the six rules) I never expected that ending, plus once you finish the game the "Extras" button become available and i generally think you explained everything that was needed to know in the game which helps alot, if you didn't get some parts of the story and i think a sequel would be nice you put alot of work into this game).
2. I'm not quite sure...

3. Ryouji was a interesting character but i prefer the snow girl, she is more less mysterious.
To be honest the girl reminded me of the character from the ancient Japanese tale "Kayuga Hime" although once i got further into the game i had realized that she had nothing to do with that.
4. I loved the main menu theme song.
ShreenShot.PNG
5. Here's a random screenshot: (That won't spoil the game)
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#23 Post by Coren »

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#24 Post by Coren »

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#25 Post by Haze »

Ok, whan I first discovered the girl's name was Yuki, I thought she'd turn out to be a yukionna that would freeze Ryouji and his family to death.
But it turned out to be the complete opposite--while Yuki did end up causing the deaths of Ryouji's family members, it was a death by fire, not ice.
Here's my answers to the questions:
1. What do you generally feel upon finishing the main game?
I felt really sad, and a little angry.
Sad that Ryouji had fell for Yuki's manipulation and was in such a situation, and angry that Yuki had done such a thing.
2. What did you feel upon playing Another View?
I really didn't feel like Another View was all that believable.
I mean, Yuki wants her family to like her so she tricks the guy who ends up accepting her despite her family name? Why didn't she just continue with those happy days with Ryouji? But, of course, that's slightly unrealistic--eventually, someone would find out about Ryouji meeting Yuki, and that happiness would end.
3. Any favourite character(s)?
Not particularly. I liked both of the characters.
4. Favourite music track? :D I absolutely loved Marc's compositions!
...sorry, but I played most of the game without music. If I give it another playthrough, with music, I'll answer this question.
5. Take a random (hopefully non-spoilery) screenshot!
Here you go:
screenshot0007.png
Like with Crimson Rafflesia, I decided this would be my screenshot as soon as I saw it. :D

Overall, this was a nice game, though a bit shorter than I expected. Nice work!
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#26 Post by Coren »

Thanks for the comments! :)

xxstrangesoulxx

#27 Post by xxstrangesoulxx »

Nice game Coren. Art was great. The sprites were cute and the backgrounds where interesting. I liked the GUI and dialogue box.

I was pretty surprised with how it ended. I feel pretty bad for Ryouji.
I totally did not expect Yuki to do that, but Ryouji should haven known better.
I liked playing another view. I needed some closure after that ending. I'm glad we got to see Yuki's side of story.
I felt bad for her, maybe even more than I did with Ryouji.
Ideal story: Yuki should talked with Ryouji when she met him and run away with him. Screw being accepted by the Tiaras. xD
I honestly like Ryouji and Yuki both, but maybe just maybe, I like Yuki more. I liked her since the beginning, and I still do despite that thing she did. I like how sweet and cold she is, makes her more interesting.

Nice music. :)

Oops I forgot to take one. Oh well.

helenburns

#28 Post by helenburns »

Thank you for making this beautiful game Coran. I like the morals in this story, and the Japanese style is a very good touch. Yuki is a beautiful character and I love her very much. It was scary when the truth of her is revealed. I did not expect it at all. By the time I have completed this masterpiece my tears have fallen out of my eyes. It is a good game and I will recommend.

khnachi
Veteran
Location: Somewhere in those 7,107 islands in the Philippines.

#29 Post by khnachi »

helenburns

#30 Post by helenburns »

It is a beautiful art. I have always imagined what the character of Yukiri would look like as a grown adult woman. She is beautiful and I like her very much. I hope to see a game sequel with adult Yukiri inside as well. It will be astounding to see her capture the hearts of men in the guise of an innocent and pure young maiden of snow.