Six Rules [Heian Japan|Child Protag|Short Story]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Six Rules [Heian Japan|Child Protag|Short Story]

#1 Post by Coren »

Download Version 1.0 Here!

STORY
Hung on a piece on thread in the foyer, a bamboo scroll read:

Rules
1) You must not let any strangers into the house. Preferably not even the forest where we reside in.
2) If you spot any strangers loitering around the property, alert us immediately.
3) You may converse with strangers as a gesture of friendliness, but never tell them where the house is located. We are hiding for safety, after all.
4) Don't accept things from trespassers. Don't give things to trespassers, either.
5) Never, I repeat, never talk to those of the Taira family.
6) Got it? Don't trust the Taira Clan.

Minamoto no Ryouji, a 12th-century Japanese boy of the Minamoto clan read those rules, and knew them all by heart. Never in his life would he even dream of breaking even one of them. That is, until that one day he met a girl named Yuki in the heart of the winter fields.

Six Rules is a short story about a little boy, a little girl, and a spiritual journey through a snow-strewn forest of ancient Japan.

Except it's not.

Minamoto no Ryouji
源 良時

Yuki

Download Here (1.0)
And the mirror link is up! Here you go, guys:
Six Rules Ver. 1.0 GD Mirror

___________________________________________________________________________________________
For people who finished playing, I would appreciate if you could answer these few questions for me. Thanks!
1. What do you generally feel upon finishing the main game?
2. What did you feel upon playing Another View?
3. Any favourite character(s)?
4. Favourite music track? :D I absolutely loved Marc's compositions!
5. Take a random (hopefully non-spoilery) screenshot!
Last edited by Coren on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Re: Six Rules [Child Protag|Drama|Feud|Heian Japan]

#2 Post by azureXtwilight »

OMG SUCH CUTE SPRITES.

I love yuki best! I want to pinch her cheecks she is so bloody adorable. The interactions between the two young children are very cute!
Just kidding you CorenButcher.
Yet another amazing game from you, look forward for more finished works!

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#3 Post by Coren »

azureXtwilight wrote:OMG SUCH CUTE SPRITES.

I love yuki best! I want to pinch her cheecks she is so bloody adorable.
Just kidding you CorenButcher.
Thank you. :) I most sincerely hope you enjoyed this light-hearted slice-of-life story about children and their spiritual journey through the little things in life.
Just~Kidding~ <3

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#4 Post by Rainbow Colors »

You had such a long list of WiP, I wasn't sure how you actually manage to finish one. So, congratulations XD

One thing that bothered me a bit was the little extra black stuff under the text. It's sorta hard to explain, but yeah you can get used to it.

It was a really heartwarming story.
You sadist.

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#5 Post by Coren »

Rainbow Colors wrote:You had such a long list of WiP, I wasn't sure how you actually manage to finish one. So, congratulations XD
Nah, it may seem long on the site, but many of them were test-games or on hold right now. Six Rules are Crimson Rafflesia are the only ones at top priority atm, and Six Rules has been completed already.
Rainbow Colors wrote:One thing that bothered me a bit was the little extra black stuff under the text. It's sorta hard to explain, but yeah you can get used to it.
Strange, doesn't seem to happen to me on mine. It could be a font or computer issue, but if it doesn't block the text, I don't see why it'll be a problem.
It was a really heartwarming story.
You sadist.
Thank you. :)
Heh.

nijikomori

#6 Post by nijikomori »

Congratulations on releasing the game! :D Just played the game, here's my thoughts. :3 (Since I'm not sure if it's a spoiler or not, I guess I'm gonna highlight all of them? *nervous laugh* And I don't know how to hide the screenshot either, haha, I know it's kinda spoiler-y so please tell me if you know how to hide it. I'd really appreciate it. :"D
1&2. The game is really great, at first I totally can sympathize with Ryouji. Poor boy, being betrayed by the one you trust so much and not knowing the truth. :'( And I'm tearing so much over the fact that he'll be beheaded. *cries silently in the corner* But after playing Another View, I feel like I can finally understand the whole story. It's all about perspectives, right? When you're a Minamoto, Taira's the villain who will kill you no matter what it takes. But if you're a Taira, then the Minamoto is the real murderer who point their fingers at your family. And it's kinda frustating, it's like, nobody's right, but at the same time, nobody's wrong. The Minamoto is at fault for killing Tameyoshi and then made Taira take all the blame, but the Taira is also at fault for taking advantage of Minamoto and then tried to kill every last of them. One thing I don't really get though, why does the Taira still kill the Minamoto even though they're not the one that killed Tameyoshi? Is it merely because they were the one that took the blame?
3. I think it's (too) obvious, but both Ryouji and Yuki are my favourites. :'D And they'd make a cute couple, no? :3 (I can only imagine a 'Romeo and Juliet' scenario with the way their family hates each other, though), and I can just imagine how cute their babies will be. :"D I wish they'd show a picture of Minamoto no Makoto though, but I guess it's really up to our imagination, huh? :3 Okay, now I'll stop rambling. *zips my mouth*
4. Umm, can I just say I love all of them? :'D No kidding, I really enjoy all of 'em, kudos to whoever composed them. :D
5. Image
This screenshot is my favorite, since I also thought Yuki's name was composed of snow, and when she told the truth, I was like, 'Of course! The mist and fog, the ones that will slowly capture you and devour you when you were least expecting it!'. I think it's really awesome how you made the name. :D
All in all, this game is a must-try visual novel! :D Thank you for making my day! :"3

Veo
Projects: Akarui (?)

#7 Post by Veo »

Aaah I was really looking forward to this VN, but for some reason the download link's blocked in my country of residence so would it be possible to provide an alternate link?

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#8 Post by Coren »

@nijikomori: Ahhh thank you for the in-depth review! :) I really appreciate it. As for
the Tameyoshi business, it all boils down to honour. The concept of family/clan pride in ancient Japan, and even modern Japan, is a lot stronger than what other cultures tend to follow. It's always family honour before the individual, that's why. To slink away from a battle like this is tantamount to admitting defeat or forgiving the other, and when a feud has gone to "This is Unforgivable" territory, there's no way to back out of it.
@Veo: Okay, I'll upload a mirror link on Google Drive. By the way, you can try this direct link: http://tinyurl.com/sixrulesgamedownload
Does it work?

Veo

#9 Post by Veo »

The direct link is also blocked, for some strange reason my country likes to block the websites of organizations that create Visual Novels :?

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#10 Post by Coren »

Veo wrote:The direct link is also blocked, for some strange reason my country likes to block the websites of organizations that create Visual Novels :?
No worries. Is the entire website blocked, or just the download link? I'll get a Google Drive mirror up for you by tomorrow.

Veo

#11 Post by Veo »

Thank you! Unfortunately, the whole website is blocked.

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#12 Post by Starshine »

What a adorable little game. I will give it a go and give you feedback soon. I love ancient story's and the fact that they are wearing traditional Japanese garments "Kimono's" thrills me.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#13 Post by Coren »

And the mirror link is up! Here you go, guys:
Six Rules Ver. 1.0 GD Mirror

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#14 Post by Coren »

Please let me know if the link works/doesn't work. Thanks!

dreamy
Regular
Organization: Cloud9 Dreams
Tumblr: fey-en

Re: Six Rules [Child Protag|Drama|Feud|Ancient Japan]

#15 Post by dreamy »

Yay!
This game is finally out! I'm downloading it right now and I'll give feedback soon. The game looks really adorable and I love the Japanese context hehe.
Will get back soon! :)