The Journey of Ignorance [Free]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

The Journey of Ignorance [Free]

#1 Post by Katy133 »

Home page with additional screeshots and download link: http://katy133.weebly.com/the-journey-of-ignorance.html

Synopsis: Two women from the city of Toronto, Canada travel to a small rural area in Ontario. The journey starts off as a means to film a travel documentary, but along the way they end up learning more about each other, and themselves.

Free to play.
Type: Kinetic visual novel.
Genre: Slice of life.
Playing time: ~40 mins.
Word count: ~9,600.
Made with Novelty
Platforms: Windows (requires DirectX 9.0c)
File size: 34 mb
Release date: Nov 2013

Please feel free to tell me your thoughts/critiques, so that I can improve when I make another visual novel.
Last edited by Katy133 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.

Re: The Journey of Ignorance

#2 Post by Katy133 »

I now have a VN Trailer:
ImageImage

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

Umm... I played your VN (The Journey of Ignorance) and I uncovered quite a list of bugs, some are minor but others are pretty major.

http://i.imgur.com/JJTtlc7.jpg Larger version

When you save a game at some points in the game and load it again from the main menu... the game will load and everything except for the BG Graphics. Also, quit or exit on some points in the game causes not only the Game to crash but Windows Explorer (and everything) as well. It happens both on a high end and low end systems and is repeatable... also, there is stability issues after quite some time with it and that "huge" memory consumption which I suspect is a leak which is probably not your fault though)

OK Back to regular programming :)

"POOF" (Disappears)

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Katy133 »

mugenjohncel wrote:When you save a game at some points in the game and load it again from the main menu... the game will load and everything except for the BG Graphics.
Thank you so much for spotting that! I've gone back and fixed what I could of the background error (I did this by replacing the default black background to each of your VN’s “pages” in Novelty with a custom background). This fixes the majority of the background-loading issues (not all of them, because of the way I structured the "pages" of the VN), but now I know how to properly structure the page layouts in Novelty so that this problem won't happen at all in future VNs I make.
mugenjohncel wrote:Also, quit or exit on some points in the game causes not only the Game to crash but Windows Explorer (and everything) as well. It happens both on a high end and low end systems and is repeatable... also, there is stability issues after quite some time with it and that "huge" memory consumption which I suspect is a leak which is probably not your fault though)
Yes, when I export the Novelty file as a completed visual novel, the program automatically adds a quit button at the top of the screen. I don't know how to remove it; I've been trying to contact Novelty's dev team and join Novelty's forum to ask how to remove it (I've seen it in other Novelty-made games as well), but so far, I haven't been contacted back or been registered to the forum. If any Novelty-users could help, I'd appreciate it. Sorry it caused a crash.

The only way to make sure you can quit without the game crashing is by using the custom quit button I added in (the one right above the dialogue box). I wrote about this in the ReadMe file attached to the game folder.
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Katy133 »

Postmortem/Artbook PDF of the game is now available for download on the page: http://katy133.weebly.com/the-journey-of-ignorance.html

This PDF can also be read online here: http://katy133.deviantart.com/art/The-J ... -445187147

I'm still very interested in feedback for The Journey of Ignorance; it'll help me with writing my next visual novel.
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Katy133 »

ImageImage