Reverse Metamorphosis [NaNoRenO 2014]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
NekoNutchi
Regular
Completed: Reverse Metamorphosis (NaNo2014)

Reverse Metamorphosis [NaNoRenO 2014]

#1 Post by NekoNutchi » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 am

Phew, made it in time before the deadline.
I know the story (and the backgrounds at the end) might seem a bit rushed, my apologies.
Also, the only one who's play-tested so far is yours truly, but hopefully there won't be any major bugs left.
except intended ones

A playthrough takes roughly 15-20 mins.

The story features an apathetic social recluse, shut inside his own room for most of the time, much to his own liking. ...Until the peaceful life inside his own mind is shattered by a strange encounter seemingly out of nowhere.
My sources of inspiration for this has been the novel Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, the movie Ponyo by Hayao Miyazaki, in addition to a few minor sources like Saya no Uta, Monster Girls Quest (just visually, not storywise), Welcome to the NHK, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and a random bizarre dream. Although when i view the final product, i can't say either of these have been highly influential...

Anyway, here a sample of the art i made for this:

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 455 dialogue blocks, containing 5,737 words and 30,998
characters, for an average of 12.6 words and 68 characters per block.

The game contains 0 menus, 47 images, and 12 screens.

I should probably mention that this KN contains nudity and mild suggestive and/or disturbing themes. So there, you have been warned.

In conclusion, if you have some time, and 38MBs to spare, you can download the project here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezlimiclyiipuvg/Reverse%20Metamorphosis-1.0-all.zip

or

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ihnzz52tdz92xg/Reverse+Metamorphosis-1.0-all.zip

Oh, and any thoughts/comments or criticism is gratefully welcomed (including negative, of course).
I have to admit though, the question i struggled the most with was of how much information to provide to potential players. I mean, too much and the story would be spoiled and not worth playing. Too little, and people might get reluctant or wierded out by the premise... :?
Last edited by NekoNutchi on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016]
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Reverse Metamorphosis [NaNoRenO 2014]

#2 Post by Donmai » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 am

Kafka? Or should I say Akfak :) ? I'm interested. Congratulations.

No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#3 Post by Rozume » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:38 pm

Congratulations on completing this NaNo! It's fun story, I rather liked it. c:

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

#4 Post by Sheridan » Fri May 30, 2014 12:44 am

My comments are all spoilers.

I was expecting a horror twist (IDK, she turns into a girl and then eats his head or something), and I'm glad you didn't go that route. The tone of the ending was almost mundane, but that actually made a nice contrast to the fantastic and mysterious events of the story -- and a realistic bit of humor from the protagonist.

Nice music choices, as well. Very serene tracks to create a feeling that this is all perfectly normal and nothing weird is happening, which works whether you interpret it as misdirection (as I did when I thought the story was going to turn horror) or not.

NekoNutchi
Regular
Completed: Reverse Metamorphosis (NaNo2014)

#5 Post by NekoNutchi » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Sheridan wrote:My comments are all spoilers.

I was expecting a horror twist (IDK, she turns into a girl and then eats his head or something), and I'm glad you didn't go that route. The tone of the ending was almost mundane, but that actually made a nice contrast to the fantastic and mysterious events of the story -- and a realistic bit of humor from the protagonist.

Nice music choices, as well. Very serene tracks to create a feeling that this is all perfectly normal and nothing weird is happening, which works whether you interpret it as misdirection (as I did when I thought the story was going to turn horror) or not.

Thank you for the comments!
Hah, I considered having one of them die, maybe through adding a choice leading to a bad ending if i had time, but the head-eating twist didn't cross my mind.
I agree about the ending, to me it just felt rushed and like it didn't express my initial idea at all. ...Which was that the girl had been impregnated by the protagonist, and as she entered the "mother"-tree, she transferred a combination of human and plant genes, spawning sister-creatures like herself.

Interesting you liked the music, i was kinda worried about using stock-pieces because of volume adjustments and difference in style. And although i think i found some tracks that matched the theme, others still felt off in the end-result.
That said, i probably won't go back and change stuff though, since i want to focus on new projects...