Visual Novel Tycoon [NaNoRenO 2014] [Sim]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

Visual Novel Tycoon [NaNoRenO 2014] [Sim]

#1 Post by leon »

Visual Novel Tycoon is a time-management, stat-raising simulation where you get to make visual novels (as well as KNs, RPGs and simulations).

There are 3 classes/characters that you can select at start (writer, artist, and programmer). These determine your gameplay style, as well as the story (there are 3 short stories, each one written by a different writer on our team). The goal of the game is different for each story.

You can raise your VN-making skills by performing certain actions, like read a book about programming, practice drawing, etc., as well as do other things such as shop online and check your downloads and sales. In addition to raising the skills yourself, you can use your reputation to recruit help on LSF.

The artist
Desperate to prove to her overbearing mother, Martha sets up an agreement that she can be independent from them and survive through the market of visual novels, and not have to work in the horrid family business. And so she must prove herself.
The coder
Programmer: Expert programmer, but has a condition which he needs medication for which causes him to get off task and distracted. He needs money to pay for his continued medication so he hopes to be able to program a successful VN to be able to live comfortably.
The writer
Girl with hubris. Acts rough ‘n tough and takes no crap from anyone. Is about as ungirly as can be, with short hair, hoodies, jeans. Real tomboy. Her behaviour scares off people and makes her rather unpopular, especially combined with her directness and frankness.
While she doesn’t like letting people get close (and thus acts this way), deep down she really wants friends and is a tender romantic. Her writing expresses these weird, sometimes funny, sometimes romantic ideas which she hopes finds a broad audience and inspires them.
When she’s faced with an eviction notice for being late on rent AGAIN, and she can’t hold/find a regular job, she thinks of going indie and writing a kickass VN that’ll earn money. Along the way she is plagued with insecurities.
Writing (the writer path): Applegate
Writing (the artist path): Maelstrom-Fenrir
Writing (the coder path): KomiTsuku
Character art: chocojax
Coding, BG & GUI art: leon
Coding & GUI art: jghibiki
Coding: DragoonHP
Composer & stunt double: Marc Straight
Special thanks: Omnificent, The Zerglinator, 15385bic (free character art), mugenjohncel (free character art and backgrounds)

Download:
Visual Novel Tycoon - Windows
Visual Novel Tycoon - Mac
Visual Novel Tycoon - Linux

If you are having problems with the downloads above, check out the downloads page for more options or get it from DropBox.

If you have any issues or suggestions, please comment here or at GitHub.

Website
Attachments
Sales
Sales
HenPie
HenPie
FingerHurt IM
FingerHurt IM
Random cover generator
Random cover generator
Writer path
Writer path
LSF
LSF
Artist path
Artist path
Title screen
Title screen
Last edited by leon on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 13 times in total.

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

Re: Visual Novel Tycoon [NaNoRenO 2014] [Sim]

#2 Post by fioricca »

ONLY STILL DOWNLOADING THE GAME AND ALREADY I WANT TO FANART EVERYONE. THE DESIGNS ARE SO CUTE. SO CUTE. *q* Will definitely give it a spin and get back to you guys! Congrats on the NaNo release!

EDIT Leon please don't cheat my feelings. I know it's April 1 but please don't do this
vnt.png

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#3 Post by chocojax »

fioricca wrote:ONLY STILL DOWNLOADING THE GAME AND ALREADY I WANT TO FANART EVERYONE. THE DESIGNS ARE SO CUTE. SO CUTE. *q* Will definitely give it a spin and get back to you guys! Congrats on the NaNo release!

EDIT Leon please don't cheat my feelings. I know it's April 1 but please don't do this
The attachment vnt.png is no longer available
:O sheet. I've alerted leon!

(Here's a really quickly made tutorial/guide to how to do things.)
help1.png
help2.png
help3.png
help4.png

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#4 Post by fioricca »

omg I come back to this thread wanting help and I suddenly see more screenshots?? Is content slowly being added into the build, because if so I'll wait until everything is stable before continuing

Thanks for the guide! I just spent the last half an hour trying to figure out... all that. XD But I still don't know what 9.0 coding or whatever is. Am I supposed to work? Do commissions? Practice? I've tried all three and nothing works...

But ahhh you can tell from my excited typing that even though I've yet to finish a route IT'S BEEN SO MUCH FUN. so much fun!! I picked the coder because he's a cute megane ball of fluff and I'm not disappointed ;_; I want to quit life so I can draw fanart of him all day oh noooo. He's adorable! If a master coder with 9 coding points can't even figure out how to place a side image, Hen'pie must be really hard to use. And you thought Ren'py was a monster.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest

#5 Post by leon »

fioricca wrote:omg I come back to this thread wanting help and I suddenly see more screenshots?? Is content slowly being added into the build, because if so I'll wait until everything is stable before continuing
No, it's just that I was too excited to post, so I added the screenshots later.
fioricca wrote:But I still don't know what 9.0 coding or whatever is. Am I supposed to work? Do commissions? Practice? I've tried all three and nothing works...
For skill trade or offering services, you do commissions, but there was a bug where commissions weren't always recorded. It's fixed now as well as the bug that caused the crash earlier.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#6 Post by noeinan »

Woot! Downloading this when I get home.

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#7 Post by Rainbow Colors »

This is actually addicting. I've lost contact with my mother and I have stopped coming to work just to spend 16 hours training myself daily for the release of my sappy 50K romance VN. (Quite horrifying if it was actually in real life)

Also, while hunting in the recruitment thread, some requested for 0.0 art/writing/whatnot. Not that I'm complaining for the free stuff but is this a bug?

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

#8 Post by Juneberry »

Downloading this now, but already expecting to be addicted because the story is so interesting! The art is lovely based on the screenshots, and I'm really liking the concept of this. I can't wait to try it!

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by leon »

Rainbow Colors wrote:Also, while hunting in the recruitment thread, some requested for 0.0 art/writing/whatnot. Not that I'm complaining for the free stuff but is this a bug?
Yes that's a bug. Thanks for reporting it. We'll look into it.

Does this happen late in the game? Unfortunately we didn't had the time to test how things work if you play for a long time. Reputation affects what recruitment offers you get, so it's possible high reputation is causing this...
By the way, very rarely you might see outrageous prices ($10 for days of work). Those are not a bug, just VN dev realism.

Rainbow Colors
Regular
Projects: Come Here Often?

#10 Post by Rainbow Colors »

leon wrote:Does this happen late in the game? Unfortunately we didn't had the time to test how things work if you play for a long time. Reputation affects what recruitment offers you get, so it's possible high reputation is causing this...
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it appeared around day 40ish or 50ish onwards. I didn't take note when I first noticed it orz. Hopefully someone else could replicate it. (I'd probably try again later.)

~targetting every otome game at the speed of sound
(because if I did it at the speed of light, I'd be time travelling)

jghibiki
Regular
Projects: Dream's Dénouement, Unannounced RPG framework, Renpy-Safe Logger
Organization: Team Anarky
IRC Nick: jghibiki

#11 Post by jghibiki »

Please bear with us for the time being, we are trouble shooting some problems with the game updater. We will let you know when we have it working again.

Our apologies.

Things should now be up and working again.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#12 Post by Arowana »

Congrats on the successful NaNo, you guys! I was really looking forward to this one. :D Unfortunately, it seems I can't unzip the Win version without getting a damaged archive error, even though I've tried downloading it multiple times today. :(

I'm so sorry, leon - not sure why this happens to me whenever you post a game. ;_; Maybe there's something weird with my computer.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

leon
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by leon »

Try this download on Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/vol21vbypc234 ... 07-all.zip

Edit: Or (preferably) use one of the mirror downloads here - http://vntycoon.vnovel.com/download-game/
Last edited by leon on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#14 Post by Arowana »

Yes, that worked! Thanks so much, I'm looking forward to it. :)
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

greenheartnellie
Regular

#15 Post by greenheartnellie »

I like this! I didn't know what to do at first when I played the Writer's, so I tried to do the Programmer's first, and I get what the game is now.

Just wondering, how many 'days' is this game? I thought it's only 60 days at first but I'm on my 83rd day now. I've released 4 different VN's/Sim/Rpg but I'm still working on some stats.

And I encountered an issue in the recruitment thread on LSF. Sometimes I'd PM two persons at once, and one of them would always change. Like if the thing promised in exchange was originally art/music/writing/code, they'd offer to pay me instead or ask to be paid. Happened about 3-4 times when I played. That's it so far.
Can sorta write but CAN'T art so I am just here for the otomes! Ahihihi <3