The Mishka Effect [Nano14] [Time Loop] [Comedy] [UPDATED]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

The Mishka Effect [Nano14] [Time Loop] [Comedy] [UPDATED]

#1 Post by kaleidofish »

Mishka Florentine's been having a bad week. He's got an eviction notice on his apartment, his friend Veronica Blast won't give him the time of day, his new co-worker's giving him the creeps, and he even narrowly avoided being killed by a bloody stranger. When he finds a shack in the woods that seems to put him back in time by three days, he thinks he can turn all his luck around.

...But things aren't always that simple when you're playing with time.

* Characters:

Mishka Florentine: our down-on-his-luck hero. Don't let that smile fool you! He doesn't always think things through. Mostly good-natured. Afraid of the police for...reasons.

Veronica Blast: Mishka's science-loving friend who is tired of his excuses. The eviction notice was the last straw for her.

And more!

* Team:

Story & Direction: kaleidofish
Editor: arachni42
Sprites & CG: shortycake
Logo & GUI: Duskylli
Eagle Eyes (QA): KaenSe4 & thestral31
Original Soundtrack (OST): Shoko
Initial Concept Art: Fungii
Coding: kaleidofish, Shoko, & Duskylli

* Downloads: NEW!

You can download The Mishka Effect v2.0 on itch.io, GameJolt, or Google Play!

Or you could play the HTML5 version on Sandbox Adventure! Click here.

* Other:

Thank you so much for playing! It's been a wild ride getting this finished, but we did it.
Liked the game and want to support us? Reblog this post on Tumblr. :)

* Note:

Screenshots below reflect V1.0. See the download pages for V2.0 screenshots.
Attachments
veronicascreen1.png
mrcoworkerscreen1.png
mainmenuscreen1.png
Last edited by kaleidofish on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: The Mishka Effect [Nano14] [Time Loop] [Comedy]

#2 Post by Asceai »

Time loop game, time loop game, playing this for sure~

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#3 Post by chocojax »

I finished my first playthrough and... I... I dunno. I'm not really sure about anything anymore.

I'm gonna play through it a little bit more to see if I missed anything, but overall, it was pretty cool. Scary at times, though. :P

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#4 Post by Laniessa »

Oh man. Words cannot express how much I love time loops. (Anything with the word 'time loop' just makes me happy. Even Endless Eight, if you know what I'm talking about.)

This was just amazing. (I've been following this since the recruitment post, actually! I was drooling and wanted to participate, but I was busy. I still am. Ugh.)

Um, just so I know clearly, there are two endings? Or more?

But yeah. Totally rad game, really polished! (I mean, for a Nano game especially.) I love the GUI, I love the art style, I love the writing. Character designs too.

I'll be recommending this to anyone I come across, haha.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#5 Post by Asceai »

I found this pretty hard to follow! But neat nonetheless.

shortycake
Regular
Completed: Night in the Cottage
Projects: The Mishka Effect, Nocturnal Affair, Lethe, Alice in Neverland, Behind the Doll's eyes[WIP]
Deviantart: shortpencil
itch: shortycake

#6 Post by shortycake »

OHMYGAWD! PLAY THE GAME AND IT'S SO FANTASTIC! REALLY LOVE THE STORY!! <3

especially about
Mikhail!! you so crazy man! oh you!~ *feeds him with crunchwich*
and now I know where Emma's name came from! so genius! I laugh so hard X'DD
Especially Ronnie! Oh my gawd! pwuhahaHAHAHAAH!
Overall this game is so fantastic. I'm so happy I become part of this team! YAY!
I'm so glad I didn't really read the script [just snippets] waah it's so worth it!
Also I really must work with those promotional art orz.. maybe next week I can finally do them ; u ;
@Laniessa: I'm so happy you like the art and character design! Thank you so much! Image

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)

#7 Post by kaleidofish »

chocojax wrote:I finished my first playthrough and... I... I dunno. I'm not really sure about anything anymore.
Haha, is this a good thing or a bad thing? :D
chocojax wrote:I'm gonna play through it a little bit more to see if I missed anything, but overall, it was pretty cool. Scary at times, though. :P
Thank you! I think I can guess which part was scariest of them all. :)
Laniessa wrote:Oh man. Words cannot express how much I love time loops. (Anything with the word 'time loop' just makes me happy. Even Endless Eight, if you know what I'm talking about.)

This was just amazing. (I've been following this since the recruitment post, actually! I was drooling and wanted to participate, but I was busy. I still am. Ugh.)
Oh yes, I know all about Endless Eight. XD
Laniessa wrote:Um, just so I know clearly, there are two endings? Or more?

But yeah. Totally rad game, really polished! (I mean, for a Nano game especially.) I love the GUI, I love the art style, I love the writing. Character designs too.

I'll be recommending this to anyone I come across, haha.
There are two endings and an epilogue that you can find in the Extras screen. Thank you! The polish is thanks to all of my teammates for their hard work throughout this month. The game wouldn't be half as good without them. I was lucky to have worked with such a passionate and friendly group of people.

Don't forget the love for the soundtrack. ;) The music and SFX really made the scenes alive. At least for me, haha. I'll never be able to get a certain character's theme song out of my head.

Thank you again!
Asceai wrote:I found this pretty hard to follow! But neat nonetheless.
Ah yes, time loops can be confusing at times. Thank you, though! :D I'll keep this in mind for a future update.
shortycake wrote:OHMYGAWD! PLAY THE GAME AND IT'S SO FANTASTIC! REALLY LOVE THE STORY!! <3

especially about
Mikhail!! you so crazy man! oh you!~ *feeds him with crunchwich*
and now I know where Emma's name came from! so genius! I laugh so hard X'DD
Especially Ronnie! Oh my gawd! pwuhahaHAHAHAAH!
THANK YOU!!
Hahaha, Mikhail scares me a lot but he's definitely one of my favorites in this. His scene was fun to write. Shoko's music made him 100x scarier. (It's his theme song that I can't get out of my head, actually.)
shortycake wrote:Overall this game is so fantastic. I'm so happy I become part of this team! YAY!
I'm so glad I didn't really read the script [just snippets] waah it's so worth it!
Also I really must work with those promotional art orz.. maybe next week I can finally do them ; u ;
I'm happy that you joined up! Thank you... You did a ton of work on such short notice. The fact that you did all the sprites within days is amazing in and of itself.

Seriously though, I couldn't be happier with the work that everyone put into this game. It meant so much to me and...ha, this isn't the place for me to gush about that. I'll save that for a private e-mail.

--------------------

Rumor has it that there will be a more beautiful, updated version coming soon. Oooh. Once that version is out, I'll strongly consider porting this to Android.

Also, if you have a Tumblr, it would be great if you could help promote the game by reblogging this neglected post right here. XD If you want to talk about The Mishka Effect on Twitter with all your wonderful friends, you can use the hashtag #TheMishkaEffect.

I've also updated the OP with non-Mediafire download links. These links should be a lot more reliable. If you'd prefer downloading through Mediafire, though, then get in touch with me through PM. I haven't deleted the links.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#8 Post by Laniessa »

Oh, gosh, I can't believe I forgot to mention the soundtrack! It was brilliant. (it's actually perfectly the kind of music i like omfg.)

Ooh, more polish? I'll be looking forward for that!

Also, reblogged!

shortycake
Regular
Completed: Night in the Cottage
Projects: The Mishka Effect, Nocturnal Affair, Lethe, Alice in Neverland, Behind the Doll's eyes[WIP]
Deviantart: shortpencil
itch: shortycake

#9 Post by shortycake »

Hello! Shortycake here!

Just want to know you guys that there's gonna be a second/android version.
It will have some CGs and other visual related improvement! Hope you'll also play the second version when it comes out!

Here's some sample of added CGs for the next version:

To the ones who downloaded and played the first version; THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
I hope you'll also play the second version! XD
Last edited by shortycake on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

#10 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Wow! Time travel is ridiculously cool but so complicated that it's almost impossible to do well. You nailed it! This game rocked! And yes, the soundtrack was perfect for setting the mood, especially the Bizzaro theme.

Tawwny

#11 Post by Tawwny »

This is one of my most favorite Visual novels ever! Comedy was fantastic (I love stuff that makes me laugh), and this being my first time traveling VN, the time loops were loads of fun!
I really liked the fact there were multiple Mishkas and it was awesome finding out how he ended up that way through each loop. And when I first saw Emma, I thought there was going to be a loop where he disguised himself as a woman XD But the real explanation for Emma's existence was cool too.
Looking forward to the extended version of this! CGs are looking good so far ^^

Shoko
Regular
Soundcloud: shokomusic

#12 Post by Shoko »

Flowers from Nowhere wrote:Wow! Time travel is ridiculously cool but so complicated that it's almost impossible to do well. You nailed it! This game rocked! And yes, the soundtrack was perfect for setting the mood, especially the Bizzaro theme.
Laniessa wrote:Oh, gosh, I can't believe I forgot to mention the soundtrack! It was brilliant. (it's actually perfectly the kind of music i like omfg.)

Ooh, more polish? I'll be looking forward for that!

Also, reblogged!
Thanks a lot guys! Speaking of which, I've put the OST up on Bandcamp for download if anyone's interested.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#13 Post by ketskari »

This was one of those VNs where I just had to try the choices that seemed like a bad idea the first time around to see what would happen. ;) I enjoyed the humor, especially the running gag with the crunchwiches and Mishka's banter with Veronica. Congrats on the NaNoReno release!

kaleidofish
Veteran

#14 Post by kaleidofish »

@ Laniessa:

Thank you for the reblog! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@ Flowers from Nowhere:

Thank you! You're right about them being complicated. It was a lot of work watching out for plot holes.

@ Tawwny:

Glad the story made you laugh! I never considered myself much of a comedy writer until I finished writing this. Happy this is one of your favorite VNs now.

@ ketskari:

Thank you. I usually do that when I play games, too. I like going for the bad choices first. :) And yeah, crunchwiches are awesome. :D

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#15 Post by Fenrir34 »

I loved this game. It was super funny and the art was excellent. I really want to see more comedy yet dramatic games like this. The music was also wonderful. I kept it one the whole time and am glad you gave it a music gallery :mrgreen: . The characters were also really good to. I loved Mishka. I laughed at many points in the game because of him. Also, what I found really funny was
near the end and how his other half was more concerned with being the head of the Mishka's yet he knew at this moment the world could end.
Don't know why, just found it story. Story was really nice as well and unqiue. If you guys make another game, I'll defiantly place.

PS-
Thanks for the recipe. Gonna try it out :)