RED PLATES(Okiku's Well)- [GxG] Suspense/Horror/Haunting

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
whatle02
Regular
Projects: OTChi Kocchi
Organization: 3-AR Studios

RED PLATES(Okiku's Well)- [GxG] Suspense/Horror/Haunting

#1 Post by whatle02 »

Here is my first self-made VN. The art, music, menu's, characters, story, coding, and sfx will be all done by me.

UPDATE NO. 1! Errors have been corrected. Part II : Kiko's Home comes out soon!

Feel free to leave reviews here or on any of my sites. Thank you for playing!

Cheers!
PS: Also, me and a colleague recently did a panel at Ohio's Matsuricon entitled "Making a Visual Novel: From Concepts to Sales." It touched base on everything from sprites, programs, story writing, some basic coding, and a lot of small details about marketing and target fan base. While a lot of this was freestyle and tailored to the audience, there is a PP presentation with all of the information we used/referenced. Feel free to download it HERE
Last edited by whatle02 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

Re: RED PLATES(Okiku's Well)- [GxG] Suspense/Horror/Haunting

#2 Post by Fenrir34 »

Played the game and here are my thoughts

Story-The story was pretty good. I don't think I've ever scene the Japanese horror story on this and it's actually quite interesting to know what happens. Will admit that it wasn't super scary though, but I think you mentioned that it wasn't in your post.

Character-Characters seem good to me. I liked Kiko. She was really funny, and I felt sorry for her when all this happened with her family. There is one thing I suggest though, Kiko's name color is pink whle Nina's was blue. I think the colors should be switched around because it was a bit confusing at times.

Art-Backgrounds actually go okay with the sprites. I also like them being real. Gives the story a 'could this happen in real life' feel to it. The sprites were good to and cute. Very animeish.

Writing-Writing for the game was good, but you should go back and check some things. I noticed a few errors as I was playing. If you don't go back then don't worry. Just make sure you proofread when making your second version

Other notes-Overall I liked the game. I think it would've been better as a KN though because the ending weren't really different. Also, add scarier music next time. That can always change the atmosphere of a story. Anyway, good job with your first own created game. Keep up the good work :)

whatle02
Regular

#3 Post by whatle02 »

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

It's weird because I proofread, or at least I thought I did, a ton before the builds. I took me playing the game on Android and my laptop to even see the errors. A break from the norm opens your eyes, I guess.It will be update with more spell checks here soon, and surely before Parts II and III-which will be released simultaneously in July.

Again, thanks for the review! I appreciate it. :D

To your comment about a KV vs VN:
I somewhat agree. The game is much larger than this three day time span. It's actually nine days. (to coincide with the mythology) The choices don't really alter the ending in this one as much as they give new details about the story. The same will be for the others but there will be 3 different culmination endings.

Thanks for the review!

-WRD!

Lady-Cynic
Regular
Completed: Bobette: A KN that's horrible but at least complete
Projects: To Hell With Love: A G/G action game; Wendigo: A B/B horror game; Hannah's Humanity: A G/B KN about a girl making a choice; Counting Sheep: A mini RPG about a girl traveling with her sheep
Organization: Cynical Ghost Productions
IRC Nick: Lady-Cynic

#4 Post by Lady-Cynic »

I just played the game, and I'm not gonna lie, it was hella fun. It could be a bit creepier if you hyped the suspense a bit more, but it's not that bad either. You had a few spelling mistakes, but it wasn't enough to detract to from the immersion in the game.

It was definitely fun, can't wait for part 2 now.
Architect in training!
Cynical Ghost Productions
My commission thread.
BB's commission thread
My art thread~!
BButt's art thread
Help me go to college!
I prefer the pronouns xe, xem, xirself, etc., but what ever you use is cool with me.

whatle02
Regular

#5 Post by whatle02 »

I love that you guys took time to play it.I hope others do as well and look past the small hiccups to see what im trying to achieve overall. Again, this will be a three part series tk tell the whole story ive lined up based on the folklore.

Thank again!!

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#6 Post by Fenrir34 »

whatle02 wrote:Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

It's weird because I proofread, or at least I thought I did, a ton before the builds. I took me playing the game on Android and my laptop to even see the errors. A break from the norm opens your eyes, I guess.It will be update with more spell checks here soon, and surely before Parts II and III-which will be released simultaneously in July.

Again, thanks for the review! I appreciate it. :D

To your comment about a KV vs VN:
I somewhat agree. The game is much larger than this three day time span. It's actually nine days. (to coincide with the mythology) The choices don't really alter the ending in this one as much as they give new details about the story. The same will be for the others but there will be 3 different culmination endings.

Thanks for the review!

-WRD!
Np and I can totally understand that. Whenever I proofread I always miss something in the game or novel that someone catches. Happens to all writers.

And that's fine with the story. It's good to give info and you did a good job at explaining everything in that give 'path'. Am exciting to see the next parts :)

whatle02
Regular

#7 Post by whatle02 »

All links have been updated as well as an update about the panel from this years Matsuricon.

Cheers!

peregrin

#8 Post by peregrin »

Ah, I'd been looking forward to the update - I liked the start, but was a bit thrown off by some typos when I played it last time. Now the Linux version seems to have vanished, though. Are there any plans to release that still?

Either way, thank you for the update, irrespective of whether I personally can still play. ;-)

whatle02
Regular

#9 Post by whatle02 »

Linked