Memory Lane (Happy Late Mother's Day!)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ark99k
Regular

Memory Lane (Happy Late Mother's Day!)

#1 Post by ark99k »

Edit: Here lies the first game I ever made. I made this five years ago. At first, I really wanted to delete this, but I don't mind now that I realize that I've really grown since I made this.
------------

Hello! This is my first game (so go easy on me) and I am still figuring Ren'Py out!

This story is really short (about 630 words) but they are words that need to be said. Sure, the writing could be better, so could the music, and I could have spent more time trying to get my "artwork" into the game. I made this today, completely alone, for my mother. Happy anniversary! Now for the rest of the world: I hope you enjoy my little challenge!
(I did everything in a few hours and then tested it! Please don't be too harsh but constructive criticism would be wonderful!)

As for the description: >> This is a story about a mother and her son. The whole story is about one choice impacting the rest of his life. While the choice may seem harmless to most people, once you start doing something it isn't easy to stop. It shows in the end how one choice may be your last. BUT IT ISN'T AS DEPRESSING AS MY DESCRIPTION SOUNDS!
Thank you to everyone who downloaded the game!
Attachments
My_First_Game-1.0-win.zip
Windows
(9.9 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
My_First_Game-1.0-mac.zip
Mac version
(8.15 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by ark99k on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ark99k
Regular

Re: Memory Lane (Happy Late Mother's Day!)

#2 Post by ark99k »

5 WHOLE DOWNLOADS? THANK YOU SO MUCH! I could hug all 5 of you!

HillBilly

#3 Post by HillBilly »

This is a fantastic game, please check mine out Ark99k <3

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

People are less inclined to download a game with no plot description and or screen shots. My advice would be to add both. If people have an idea of what the game is like they are generally more willing to give it a try than if it is a mystery.

Even if it is short and simple giving people a tiny peek will probably help.

Congrats on finishing your first game by the way :].
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

BrokenAngel75
Regular

#5 Post by BrokenAngel75 »

You just have to wait till people really get into it. Also, not everyone will comment. Just be patient and you'll get someone to play. I would but I'd like to know more before I download it as Googaboga said

ark99k
Regular

#6 Post by ark99k »

BrokenAngel75 wrote:
HillBilly wrote:This is a fantastic game, please check mine out Ark99k <3

For hillbilly, please don't ask people to play. For those who will be interested they will.

As for this thread there's no need to be rude. If people want to comment they will. Be happy that someone downloaded it. That's means someone played it. Sorry if I sound harsh, but you need to give it time.
Oh! I am sorry if I seemed rude! I am just so excited for the world to see what I have to offer! You aren't being harsh as much as offering your opinion to a newbie like me!

People are less inclined to download a game with no plot description and or screen shots. My advice would be to add both. If people have an idea of what the game is like they are generally more willing to give it a try than if it is a mystery.

Even if it is short and simple giving people a tiny peek will probably help.

Congrats on finishing your first game by the way :].
Thanks! As for the description: >> This is a story about a mother and her son. The whole story is about one choice impacting the rest of his life. While the choice may seem harmless to most people, once you start doing something it isn't easy to stop. It shows in the end how one choice may be your last. BUT IT ISN'T AS DEPRESSING AS MY DESCRIPTION SOUNDS!
Thank you to everyone who downloaded the game!

BrokenAngel75
Regular

#7 Post by BrokenAngel75 »

Np, and I just played the game. Very short and it had no pictures, but you made up for that with the writing, which was pretty good. I really enjoyed the message you put for your mom. I hope she plays the game because it was cute. Good job, and hope you can learn ren'py to maybe give it some art. Still, good job :)

Ps-Sorry once again if I sounded a bit harsh

rreeves79

#8 Post by rreeves79 »

I never really comment much here. I am one of those lurker types even though I download and play a great many of the games/visual novels. I'm simply not often great with feedback albeit 3/4 of what is shared here always has a marvelous impact on me regardless of the skill level someone is at. We all after all must start somewhere - learning to crawl before we walk.

As far as the story having no pictures - I was reminded of my favorite story - Alice in Wonderland. "'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations? 'In my world, the books would be nothing but pictures.'" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland, Ch. 1

I could really say a lot because I've recently dealt with a similar family situation, but if I do I would ruin the story for those whom haven't read it's message yet as far as from my view of a philosophical or even psychological idea of the message it might even impart. Hope your mom enjoys it. I don't think pictures are always needed to tell a story - sometimes it's great when things are left to your imagination and own mental imagery constructed from the words themselves.

HillBilly

#9 Post by HillBilly »

rreeves79 wrote:I never really comment much here. I am one of those lurker types even though I download and play a great many of the games/visual novels. I'm simply not often great with feedback albeit 3/4 of what is shared here always has a marvelous impact on me regardless of the skill level someone is at. We all after all must start somewhere - learning to crawl before we walk.

As far as the story having no pictures - I was reminded of my favorite story - Alice in Wonderland. "'What is the use of a book,' thought Alice, 'without pictures or conversations? 'In my world, the books would be nothing but pictures.'" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland, Ch. 1

I could really say a lot because I've recently dealt with a similar family situation, but if I do I would ruin the story for those whom haven't read it's message yet as far as from my view of a philosophical or even psychological idea of the message it might even impart. Hope your mom enjoys it. I don't think pictures are always needed to tell a story - sometimes it's great when things are left to your imagination and own mental imagery constructed from the words themselves.
Yes, I love games like this one that make me feel things so
I understand where you are coming from.