K*A*O*R*I

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

K*A*O*R*I

#1 Post by mikey »

Hi everyone.

I always wondered how it would be if I just released a game out of the blue, without any announcements and so on.
Well, now I know.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Checking it out now. First review tomorrow.

YAY!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Got ending 1. It seems the primary virtue of this ending is that it lets me be one of the first people to get an ending. :-) Now playing through again, but pausing to watch the X-43a launch.

I like the right arrow binding, as it let me reasonably quickly skip repeated text, making it easier to get to another ending.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

Ack! I'm being left in the dust! :shock:

Yet another game I can't play until I finish another one of my own >_< Sounds good, though! I am looking forward to playing~

How are you able to write so fast, mikey? Me = slow ^__^;

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#5 Post by Sai »

Wow, another game already? Well done.

Initial opinions (contains spoilers)
Got one ending so far. Ending 2 of 9. I was surpirsed by the ending. I'm interested to see how the others play out in light of the revelation at the end of this one. And of course I didn't see much emphasis on the pill thing on my path so I shall have to go back and dump my pills =D Then see what happens. Fun.
Hmm Inami and Kaori must be similar, since both appreciate black and white more than colour and both are into the art scene?
But I will understand their differencies more as I play more. Right now though I have a sort of understanding that the main defining difference is that Kaori is the writer and Inami would probably be more of a drawer. But I have yet to find out... ^^
I enjoyed it. I understand this was probably a fun quick project rather than something as extended as River Trap so that would explain no music and also I think that some of the circumstances (Inami having to use Kaori's name at the museum and no records kept of Kaori as a teacher for the protagonist to find her through although maybe I'm wrong about that last one ^^ ) are a little hard to accept because they're not as explained, but maybe when I get more endings I'll understand better.
Even though I only had time to try one path so far, I get a general idea of how my decisions might be affecting things so it shows good planning of paths, nice job.
As always I think you really bring across strong emotion in your writing and you can literally feel that this person is longing for some kind of contact with this girl. It's very effective.
I think all your projects are great and you did well to turn out such a good game so fast. Keep up the great work

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I've managed to get all 9 endings.

What follows is a minor spoiler that is related more to gameplay than plot, but one that probably shouldn't be read until you've beaten the game a few times.

Unlike River Trap, where you enter the password changes the sequence that is displayed. So you have to go back to the various endings and enter in the passcode to get to the end of the story.
Loved the game. Another one of the ambitious (story-wise) and well executed games that this team has come to be known for.

Tyler
Regular

#7 Post by Tyler »

ending 2 for my first one

RedSlash
Veteran

#8 Post by RedSlash »

Got ending 3 the first time. I thought the game was very well done in both story and art. Very interesting twist at the part about the pills.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#9 Post by Taleweaver »

Played through all nine endings and five Omake endings. All in all, a step forward from River Trap in terms of replayability and interface, yet a step back in terms of story. It's just not as gripping as River Trap and far less logical whereas the effects of your decisions are concerned. Too many of the "right" decisions are just guessing, such as the "wait until she's ready/help her say it" part, or the aimless wandering/not wandering through town sequence. All in all, technically superior but lacking some storyline impact. Still entertaining.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

#10 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the support everyone! I am especially happy, that the game is working properly, we had some CRC errors yesterday and the game had to be re-uploaded.

In general, it is true, that the story isn't as deep-going and sometimes there are loose ends, but that's the point of the project - a simple game. This also concerns the lack of music and no special effects/transitions. See, River Trap took me almost half a year. And I had this game finished in 3 weeks, with only 2.3 MB. All in all, a different philosophy, so to say :)

Sai>>
The search he performed was for Kaori I... and the person was Inami Kumihara, so that's why he didn't find her. As for why Inami used her name it is explained in every ending except 2 :)
Taleweaver>> Point taken, really. Though I can't quite agree that all the choices must critically be transparent - sometimes the fact whether you meet a person or not really depends on whether you go to the park or to town. In fact your very last sentence sums it up nicely. ;)

BlueLemma>> After RiverTrap I didn't really do anything and let everything accumulate so perhaps that's the reason. Also I would say, a smaller project like this is easier to write. And I also eat Cheerios for breakfast.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

Yes, that was me up there, forgot to log in... :roll:

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#12 Post by Sai »

Only 3 weeks? Impressive ^^
I think it's nice to get fresh stories/characters and taking that 'philosophy' as you put it is a good idea (if you haven't got the resources/time for a larger project)
In general I'd rather something than nothing at the end of the day ^^

yuki_no_yousei

#13 Post by yuki_no_yousei »

Argh, of all the things to discover while at work ;_; The minute I get home, I'm downloading it ^^ Three weeks? Whoa... :shock:
Updates for all current projects, plus my journal can be found here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yuki_no_yousei/

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#14 Post by Blue Lemma »

mikey wrote:After RiverTrap I didn't really do anything and let everything accumulate so perhaps that's the reason. Also I would say, a smaller project like this is easier to write. And I also eat Cheerios for breakfast.
I am SO buying tons of Cheerios now 8)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by mikey »

Blue Lemma wrote:I am SO buying tons of Cheerios now 8)
Well, I will personally stuff Frosted Flakes into Jet, because...

Tyler wrote me a PM asking about the meaning of the password in the game. Long story short - you could get by the password simply by clicking continue (which was the leftover from our developer's version).

As of 18.11.2004 11:00 (a.m.) CET, there is a fixed version available for download. You cannot get by the password without the proper password, which means you have to play through the individual endings. Naturally, I am absolutely furious, because the point was to first go through all the endings and THEN continue the story :evil: :evil: :evil: You should not know about *****. :cry: :cry:

So please, if you have the older version from before 18.11.2004 11:00 CET, if you'd be so kind as to delete/destroy it, so that this copy won't be spread. Thanks.

I know some of you played it the right way anyway, but still, ah, never mind. It's forgotten. I appologize to all the people who had less from the game because of this and I am already hiring a contract killer to deal with the person responsible 8)

Sai>> 3 weeks yes, but 1+1/2 months planning :D Forgot to mention.