The Thing With Mistletoes (GxB, Romance, Mystery)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: The Thing With Mistletoes (GxB, Romance, Mystery)

#31 Post by sasquatchii »

Oooh, a mystery/detective type novel, combined with Christmas? Yes, please!

1. Heck yeah I'll still play it! Christmas is my favorite holiday, right up there with thanksgiving (since I get to see family again!).
2. I'd like to know more about them before deciding.
3. This isn't really any of those, but the twins remind me of Fred & George Weasley (from harry potter) Don't know if thats what you we're going for, and but the art looks pretty cool overall!
ImageImage

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#32 Post by Ferdokki »

Well, for your case, I think it's ok if the mystery is kinda "light". It can be a fluffy romance/mystery thing. The artwork is really nice, plus it's a seasonal/holiday game, so it doesn't have to be a super-intense dark mystery, if that's what you're worried about. I think at this point, we're all optimistically looking forward to whatever you bring us. =)

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#33 Post by AntiquedFae »

Ran08 wrote:Haha, thank you so much! I really, really, really love mysteries and crime dramas, tbh. You know the case of Kitty Genovese? Actually, that case is one of my main inspirations for this story. =) It's not... similar, at all, haha... but there is one important thing that I used as a reference for the VN

Ooooh. Yeah, they're quite tough to write! :) TTWM is... well, a mystery, but you don't really get to solve or anything like that. (That's why I hope people won't hate me for it, hahaha.) Will your game allow players to solve? :)

And yay! Thanks!
Me too! Mysteries are such fun. I also like forensics, hehe. Ooh, I've heard of Kitty Genovese! I can't remember quite what it was though. I'll need to look that up! Hehe, everyone is inspired by something, and a lot of times without even realizing it. ;) Especially things from our really young childhood.

There are so many things you have to take into account when writing a mystery. There are lots of mystery games when you aren't actually solving anything. When you think about it, all mystery novels you can't actually solve anything. You just do everything in your head, and in reality it doesn't have any impact on the story. While in some mystery games your choices and findings do affect the direction of the investigation. So a mystery game where you can't solve the mystery doesn't necessarily mean it's not a true mystery. In a way it's more similar to a mystery novel. :)

Haha I'm not actually making a game right now. I'm helping to write for some other people, and writing some stories of my own for fun and practise. :) I enjoy it a lot. Anyways I think I've probably distracted you and derailed the thread sufficiently now. XD
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#34 Post by CSV »

I'm looking forward to this game. =) I like mystery otome and there don't seem to be many of those.
To answer the questions in the first post...

1. I don't really mind if it is out of season. =)
2. I don't know who I'll go for first, but I'll probably play Landice's route last. Only because I think he is the most interesting one based on the description, and I usually leave my favorites for last.
3. I really like the game title and the CG sketches look great. Also, I wonder if the answer to the mystery is different based on the character route you take?

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#35 Post by Fenrir34 »

This game looks really fun. It's a nice mixer of the holidays, romance, and mystery =). The art is nice to and my favorite of the sprites is Clarissa. Has a very friendly aura about her. As who I would go for, I'd go for Gabriel. He looks to be kind of shy and I do like guys like that XD

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#36 Post by Ran08 »

@sasquatchii
Yay! I'm glad you liked it!
1. I love it too. <3 Oh, you're right. Usually it's the time that people always go home to their families. =) Especially when you're in a univ far away from your home town... you're really gonna look forward to Christmas, hahaha.
3. Really? Wait, now that you mention it... they do seem a bit similar. Haha. Believe me, they are much tamer than the Weasley twins! =)

@Ferdokki
Fluffy is definitely the word to describe it! That's actually what I was aiming for when I first started writing this, but now that it's already ~60k words, it's also taken a deeper turn, hahaha. =) Awww, thanks for being optimists! :* I really appreciate all the support, Ferdokki! Thank you.

@AntiquedFae
Really? Oh my gosh. When I was a kid, I wanted to be part of the forensics team, tbh. And you're right! Sometimes, things can subconsciously inspire us, and we may not even know about them at all. =) It was a really famous case and I was kinda struck by one aspect... hihi.

Exactly. Sometimes it's really just for the story, and not for the mystery itself. After all, most of the time you just have to watch the story unfold, right? It's like pretending that you're actually doing something. In games, you could do something, haha, but since VNs are like a cross between a game and a book, you still can't control everything. =)

Oh, it's fun to weave your own story and see it get produced into something that other people would read. That's the main reason why I write VNs, actually. Even writing for other people can have the same effect! I also enjoy doing other projects that are not entirely my own. ^^ Aww, that's okay. We're still kinda on-topic, right? Hahaha.

@CSV
Yay, thank you. :) I do hope I won't disappoint you with the mystery aspect, though!
1. It's probably gonna be in season though, haha, because the CGs and BGs are still incomplete. :D Oh, and the GUI is still in progress.
2. Ha! I agree with you. Leave your favorite for the last. It'll be more worth it. :)
3. Yay, thank you. Hapuki is an awesome artist.
The answer to the mystery won't really be too different, but there will be some variations because... well, different guys will do different things, right? :)
Huge spoiler and tip:
In the unlockable path, (once you get all the other paths) everything will fall into place, though. (That's why I said save the best for last.)
@Fenrir34
Thank you! Oh, Clarissa is friendly, alright. She can be a little bit uptight at times, but she's very nice. Hmm, Landice is the shy one, but Gabby has his own charms, I say. I really hope you'd like him! <3 Thank you for checking this out!

Gospel
Regular
Completed: SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair
Projects: GENBA no Kizuna
Organization: GosatsuVNs
Tumblr: gosatsuvns
itch: gosatsuvns

#37 Post by Gospel »

The art style is very cute. At least design-wise, I think I like Clarissa the most.
I'm honestly not that much interested in the romance aspect, but the mystery one sounds very intriguing. I'm looking forward to finding out what's behind those disappearances!
Also, if you get it done in time for Christmas, that'd be perfect. Still a while, but I'm slowly getting in the mood for christmas-y stuff, anyways :lol:
SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair is a murder mystery visual novel.
To learn more, click on the pic above or visit our website: http://gosatsu.com/

siyereeee
Deviantart: siyereeee

#38 Post by siyereeee »

Hope you'll finish this soon~ :D :D *cheers*
I Image weird stuffs~ Image

Ina

#39 Post by Ina »

N/A
Last edited by Ina on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Ran08 »

Can't believe it's been over a year! :o Um... hi there everyone~ Hahaha.

@Gospel
Ooooh! I hope we won't disappoint you! Unfortunately, while I'm a mystery lover, I'm not much of a mystery writer, huhu. T___T That's why the focus of this game is still on the romance aspect. Still, I do hope you'll enjoy playing it. :) By the way, how's Shinrai coming along? :D

@siyereeee
Thank you! <3

@Ina
Awww, thank you so much for the support! Believe me, that means a lot. <3
I'm not sure about the percent, haha, however, the script is already finished (completed and proofread, thanks to Clestae for that), and so are the CGs. We are still lacking some backgrounds and the GUI is still pretty much incomplete, though. But yes, I, too, am hopeful that this game will be released this year! Keeping my fingers crossed~ Oh! P.S. I like your signature! Such inspiring words. :")

Ina

#41 Post by Ina »

N/A
Last edited by Ina on Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#42 Post by Godline »

Merry Christmas!

Ran's stuff is up on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =826325560

Also on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ran.ttwm

But I think I have one more kink to work out with the new version.

Ran will upload the itch.io ones soon? I think... :) Hehe.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#43 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Landice, why won't you love meeeh??!! 😢 I really love this game, even more so, because you made it available for android. May I ask one thing? Can you please make a walkthrough in the future? I want Landice, dangit! 😭

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#44 Post by Godline »

Pssst. Ran made a cheat that you have to play through all of the routes (only one of the twins though) at least once before you can get the super special end.
Try it again and let me know if it works!

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Ran08 »

Ehehe, I know I'm kinda late, but... I've finally updated the thread! Haha. :D

@Ina, thank you so much! It's out now, haha. I hope I don't disappoint you! (but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, still, hahaha)
@VocaloidsRCool Aaaah, sorry! I don't have a walkthrough at the moment, but I'll try to make one in the future. :) Hmm, Godline is right, hahaha, actually, the real good endings are only accessible once you finish the game... (sorry about that!)

Haha, and Godline, thank you so much for everything! This wouldn't be the same without you. :)