Forget-Me-Not [BxB, Slice of life, Drama]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

Re: Forget-Me-Not [BxB, Slice of life, Drama]

#31 Post by Boniae »

KashyaCharsi wrote:I am not particularly sharp either, especially not about emotions and relationships, but
I thought Michael's "cheating" happened when he harassed Roger, it just seemed to click together. I felt more sympathetic to Michael when I found out he took his coach harassing him for his fault, but I don't understand why he had to rough Roger up? Doesn't he love Emmett? :(
Thank you for playing, and gosh sorry for the late reply! And to that comment,
Michael is pretty self-loathsome at that point so his mentality is out to ruin himself so to speak?? So in that state he's pretty overwhelmed with his own self-deprecation that whatever was said between the two really pissed him off and he just didn't care...ahhh it's so hard to explain but deep down he does love Emmett, but hates himself and who he is at that point. I hope I kinda cleared things up, haha.
saruri wrote:Although I know a bit that this game's going to be dark beforehand, still, why recent games I played were all so dark and twisted?! OTZ
Please, I seriously want to f**k that damn f**king coach, Chris & his friends!!! =血=!!!
I cried so hard at the endings! Even though I don't like your story's theme (I really hate oppressive story! How I want to play some happy, sweet & lovey-dovey BL game for god's sake! OTZ... Why are there so many stepmothers?! ToT~ Guess I'll have to do it myself......囧), I still can't help but been drawn by it.
Your story is really good, and the choices too. And I gotta say I really don't have "love at first sight" for the characters' artwork, but as the story progress, I found myself falling for them. I really wish to see more of their story; being all sweet, of course!
Btw, I absolutely LOVE the part where Skyy is a fujoshi! >o<~
Oh, I just finished all the 3 endings, and my feelings are complex; should I say "Thank you for making me cry."? = =......
Thank you so much for playing!!! And omg im so sorry you've had so much overwhelming emotion about this game...*gives you a lovely pie* I'm so happy you fell for them though, I'm glad you were able to enjoy it enough to play through, it means alot! *wipes tears*
(On the bright side, if you ever wanted to play a funnier game by me, there's I want 2 be single, albeit it's not my best work haha.)
And yesss, totally make BL game, the VN community needs more BL vns, especially happy ones!!!

KashyaCharsi
Regular

#32 Post by KashyaCharsi »

Is it some self-sabotaging thing then, like when he said to Emmett that he cheated on him and when Emmett had to punch him?

Veteran
Completed: Dungeons and Don't Do It, Wake Up
Projects: Lethe
IRC Nick: Pacermist

#33 Post by 78909087 »

Oh my god. Okay so I played through it and found quite a few gramatical errors
(such as 'Me and Skyy', or 'Her life was completely taken over my drugs', or 'it's been awhile since', or 'That's a little bit embarresing'...)
AND A LOT OF MISSING SPACES AND CAPITALS.
Yeah I'm a bit of a maniac over this sort of thing.

Also, I've have extremely bad clinical depression since I was 11- and I completely understand where Michael is coming from.
Though I have an extreme distaste for drugs, and I can't really get my hands on much alcohol- I have actually overdosed- been sexually molested- AND jumped from a roof. Not to mention my boyfriend was at times the only thing I could get any sort of emotion from. But I become so self-destructive, I always try to push him away and break up. Maybe Michael and I aren't so different... Not sure that's a good thing.
Yes this game triggered me! No, not in a bad way- (though I don't think you could say it's good?)
It just made me feel sort of peaceful (after the tears- SERIOUSLY THOUGH). That someone else could understand that things can't just be fixed- that some problems will never go away, and that others take a lot of damn effort.

I love it when I come across games like this. Love doesn't magically fix anything. Homosexuals don't run around in rainbow onesies screaming about pride while fabulously whistling for their macho counterpart or unicorn to parade off with into the horizon. (Though I was mildly disappointed that every guy (except Jose) introduced was in some way- gay...)

The highschool take was also interesting, but I can't help but feel like it could have been explored a little more. Especially Jose. He was kinda thrown in and ignored >_> I mean- highschool really ruined me. My senior years saw me at my worst- and I really lost a part of myself I don't think I'll ever get back.

Actually, there's a lot that should have been explored a little more. That journal, for example. It's mentioned once- and then (literally) tossed aside. And why didn't Emmett
check the pill bottle? All overdoses are meant to be reported to medical personell with medicines that are dangerous enough to cause those side-effects. I know because my psych was amazed I was still alive after my stunt.
Not to mention,
after he attempted suicide- who WOULD leave him alone? It's TYPICAL behaviour for people who do that sort of thing to act perfectly fine afterwards so they get the OPPORTUNITY to try again. (Okay so maybe it isn't obvious to others...)

Oh! My favourite quote was definitely when Michael said "Yeah, well not everyone realizes they're gay by magic."
It's so sarcastic and sassy and perfect. I remember when I did, one day when I was just eating, and I literally just stared off into space like 'damn... I like the same gender.'
IT WAS THE FAIRIES

The quotes that broke my heart the most.
"I feel like I'm starting to hate everything. Like I can't be bothered to do anything anymore. And I don't... Really miss the feeling of being able to care." On so many levels, I understand. I just do.
Also...
"I love you Michael, I really do, I just can't trust you anymore."
- which hit a really personal chord for me.
And "A next time... Even when that next time... Feels like it'll be really far away."
Or
"Help him find someone else that he can be happy with. I just want everyones lives to be better... Because life... Is so much better without me."
Personal, touching, depressing...
Another was definitely the scene where Michael is in the coma, after Skyy comforted Emmett, where Emmett says "She says that she knows you'll pull through. I don't know if you can hear me Michael, but if you can... I have faith in you too." and "My mom always used to tell me, There are some things we can't do by ourselves."
I dunno man. The tears though.

Anyway it's almost mid-day, and I haven't slept for three days and I released my first ren'py game so I should be celebrating but I chose to play your game instead, despite knowing it would probably trigger me. (Totally a compliment)

Sorry for the random post but I'll go roll my face over my keyboard for a half-hour... Or sleep. Yeah.

saruri
Regular

#34 Post by saruri »

Boniae wrote:Thank you so much for playing!!! And omg im so sorry you've had so much overwhelming emotion about this game...*gives you a lovely pie* I'm so happy you fell for them though, I'm glad you were able to enjoy it enough to play through, it means alot! *wipes tears*
(On the bright side, if you ever wanted to play a funnier game by me, there's I want 2 be single, albeit it's not my best work haha.)
And yesss, totally make BL game, the VN community needs more BL vns, especially happy ones!!!
Let me just complain: "Why all good BL games (which are so very few in quantity) are so short?!!" OTZ...
Although your story's theme is absolutely not my cup of tea (being dark and oppressive), it is still a very good BL game to me; it firmly grabs a hold of my heart!
Thus, hope for more of your BL games (I want BL, BL, BL please~!!!)! Or more like, hope for Forget-Me-Not's sequel!!!!!! How I yearn for it! I really long to see them being all sweet!
Right, (cough cough) will try my best to finish them... Actually, I have quite a lot on hand, but all ongoing...... Only goddess knows when I will / can complete them......囧TZ
That's why I really respect you, > <. But! I will try my best! After-all, great BL games like yours (really so very few out there) really motivate me! They won't be coming out so soon, but at least I will try my best in making it happen!
Oh, how I totally agree!!! It really needs more good BLs!!! Wish there will be more coming~~~

Boniae
Regular

#35 Post by Boniae »

Oh gosh it's been so long I hadn't realized there were unanswered replies, so I apologize!

Even though it's almost been a year since FMN's release, I still think about the wonderful things said about the game and keep it close to my heart. It's just been a blessing to know FMN had been enjoyed. :mrgreen:
I may have some plans someday to redo the CG art (LOL, the perfectionist in me...) and there are plans to make a print or two in the future when I set up my web store.

At the moment I've been working on other things, such as two games in the making - a GL game (which is nearly complete) and a BL game which is being written. Every sunday I update a BL webcomic, if you like comics.

@ 78909087;
*HUGS* Thank you so much for playing!!! Your comment made my day...I'm so sorry if the game made you feel any uncomfort but I'm just glad you were able to enjoy it. Thank you for the criticisms as well, I hope maybe one day if I ever redo the CG I can also add some improvements in the writing. You're so wonderful and lovely, thank you so much <3333

@saruri;
Yeah haha, I can only make so many sad things LOL, so the next BL game I make will be pretty upbeat, may have some dark themes but is mostly an adventurey theme. I have thought about writing a short story form for a FMN sequel but I currently don't have any ideas...maybe one day though! :D

audrenes
Regular
Projects: Phoenix, Swan Lake, Kiss Me X
Tumblr: ajmakesvns

#36 Post by audrenes »

Aaaahhhh oh my God where do I even begin????

I feel like it's kinda weird for me to be posting here after all this time, but I wanna take this time to just say that I really liked playing this game. I thought about leaving it for when I wasn't piled with work, but I thought, "You know what?? It's Valentines day. It might not be the most accurate game to play today but whatever. I'll do it!" So I did. A few hours later, I get ending #2.
During that, though, I was just freaking out over my theories of what happened with Michael whenever something was mentioned about him. I got extremely worried whenever that happened, and whenever the choices popped up I was just thinking, "ohhhhhhhh my gooooooood i dont wanna screw up aaaaaaa". And then when it was at Michael's POV and he was wondering if people wouldn't cared if he died I just had to pause the screen for a minute to gather myself together. At that point, I was just scared if I would get an ending if Michael died because of my poor choices as Emmett. The last time I played a game where I could actually do something to prevent a character from committing suicide, I was just so distraught when I failed, especially after I tried really hard to save them, I messed up at the last possible moment... ANYWAY when Emmett got that message from Michael I FLIPPED. I WAS SO WORRIED HE WOULDN'T GET THERE IN TIME, SO WHEN THEY TALKED IT OUT ON THE ROOF I WAS SO RELIEVED.
But then I remembered that there were two other endings. Usually, I would try to figure it out myself, but I'm a mess when it comes to certain topics that I relied on the walkthrough. Seeing as #3 was only obtainable after getting #1 and #2, I went for #1.
Whenever new stuff happened that I didn't see occur before I got super worried. Michael was opening up this time. Did I mess up in my first playthrough? Was my best not enough that time? So when the ending was rolling up I was just mentally yelling at myself, trying to make sense of the choices and the endings. By then, I realized that either way, Emmett still cared about Michael. He still did his best. Michael still got help. I did yell at my screen tho when the route ended lol. It felt like here, Michael was using his defense mechanism of feigning innocence while for #2, he was using his other one, which was just to push people away-- either case leading to different endings. At the end of this route though, I felt a little better about getting #2 first, because Emmett managed to come just in time, and showed that he cared about Michael even though they had a falling out.
So after picking myself up, I headed for end #3.
I was so glad, yo. They finally communicated and things were clearing up for them more than it was in the other endings. I was also surprised that Jose didn't appear more than I guessed-- so I immediately regretted thinking that when they mentioned he was gonna fight Michael. I was kinda upset that the thing with the gym teacher/coach never got settled. I'm just headcanoning that some kind of karma will happen to him for what he did to Michael.
Overall, I loved playing this! Still a really out of place choice of game for me to play on Valentines day, but that's on my part. The only complaint I would say is that I wish the music played throughout the game more. It felt really silent on most bits, and music is just a really big factor in a game to me. Nonetheless, I still loved it.

There's a lot of stuff that I probably didn't say, but I think I've done my share of flipping out when I liveblogged it .___.

Anyway, thank you for making this game, and I wish you luck on any future projects you plan/are doing!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#37 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Wait, this was finished?
This VN was one I remember playing while in desperate need to stay awake and it gave me fuzzies. I was waiting for its release, but I didn't realise that it's already released now. Time to download!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Boniae
Regular

#38 Post by Boniae »

@audrenes; OHHH MAN, firstly thank you so much for playing!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it...I hope it didn't spoil your valentines day or anything though LOL, though in some way or another it is about love so?? :lol: I was able to find all your live posts for it and it totally made my day, I've never had anyone liveblog my game to that extent so I was like OMGGGG!! Especially when I saw you coming up to the endings and I was like WOO BOY you're in for a wild ride, LMAO.
I really like reading your inputs on the endings! And I'd have to agree with you with the points on Michael's mentality. Especially in your liveblogs you made some really good interpretations with the endings, I loved reading them! Sigh if only he'd communicate, these two might have had a milder rollercoaster...but the drama must go on! :roll:

Of course it's up to the reader to decide which ending they like best (which is usually always the true one, haha) they are all made to be alternates, and though bad stuff happens, they're all meant to end on good notes and still enrich the audience. I was never a big fan of bad endings in games where you felt like you had just wasted a playthrough, so I do hope you found all the endings interesting enough though!
I really appreciate that you took the time out to write your review and everything, I always love to hear everyones thoughts! PS, your projects are totally awesome! I'm not very active on tumblr these days, but I will be keeping an eye on your blog from time to time. Good luck with your stuff too! :D

@Ghost of Crux; Yay someone from the good ol demo days! Hope you enjoy it when you play it, thanks a bunch! :D

DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

#39 Post by DrSchizo »

You can now play online to Forget-Me-Not: http://sandbox-adventure.com/forget-me-not.html

The game is in full HTML5 so there is no need to download or install anything.
You have to register to save your game but not to play the game.

While in game, you can hit F1 to display a list of available shortcuts.

You can find more information about Sandbox Adventure Engine on this thread.

mysticichigo
Regular

#40 Post by mysticichigo »

I played through on the browser version and got endings one and two. Can I get to the third one from there or will I need to download the game?

DrSchizo
Regular
Tumblr: ninesquarezone

#41 Post by DrSchizo »

A walkthough is available here.

Fantasysci5

#42 Post by Fantasysci5 »

I just finished ending #1, and I am honestly sobbing right now. This story is so deep and beautiful and hurtful in a good way. I really related to both characters. I have social anxiety and really sympathized with Emmett. I've felt antisocial and wondered why I didn't have any friends like he seemed to do in the vn, and it really spoke to me. And I have been where Michael was, both with the happy facade he put up and what he goes through by the end, feeling sorry he put Emmett through that. I am so emotional right now, and it's painful and beautiful and I am glad I played it. The graphics and cgs are gorgeous, and I'm going to play through the other endings. This really touched me, and I just wanted you to know how much it meant to me.

EDIT: And now I've played all 3 endings, and I am even more in love! Each one was so different from the other, exploring another piece of the larger puzzle, and each ended happily in a way. So amazing. <3

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

#43 Post by Red-Baby »

I saw this while it was still in the WIPs but never played it until tonight.

IT WAS SO GOOD!!!
It had a very realistic view of mental illness and the characters were very relate able.
Loved that there were so many CGs, you did an amazing job!!!

I got ending #2
I just hate the classic 'Sports Teacher is the pedophile bad guy' cliche
It gives sports teachers such a bad rep XD

procutemeister
Regular
Tumblr: the-professional-cutemeister

#44 Post by procutemeister »

I just played this and got all 3 endings. And I have to say, each route was beautifully written, and it gave such a realistic depiction of mental illness and the difficulties of a relationship. I really appreciate that this game acknowledges that love isn't a cure-all as so many others tend to do. It... actually reminded me a lot of something similar I went through. (It wasn't as bad, but there were some analogous aspects.) I also like that it was long and that time was passing in the story instead of it taking place over a short period of time. I think the writing and the plot were all the better for how it was paced. It was much more realistic too.

Emmett and Michael are adorable together, I was so happy that each of the endings were hopeful. I was playing through the game terrified of what a bad end might entail since it'd be very... well, bad. But it wasn't and it just felt like a hug for the heart <3

Thank you so much for sharing such a great game with us! :D

Trotskisaurus

#45 Post by Trotskisaurus »

I'm a bit late to this party but I just have to say this was a beautiful adventure; the characters were perfect and the story was both sad and sweet. The only think I was a little confused by;
I didn't quite get what had happened between Roger and Michael; had Michael harrassed him?
I was wondering if we get to see anymore of Michael and Emmett in the future? i'd love that :)